Winter 2015/16

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Winter 2015/16

Post by Stanley »

That must be nice for you Cathy....
Moh, same here, some heavy rain in the morning but quite nice in the afternoon as the wind dropped. At 21:00 last night it was dry with broken cloud and a lot less wind. This morning first thing we had moon and stars peeking though gaps in the broken cloud but dry, it's more overcast now and light rain. The glass is down at 28.4". The forecast is for a much cooler day, mainly bright overcast but with the chance of a shower all day. The strong westerly breeze will be constant all day and the consequent wind chill means that the theoretical high of 3C will never be felt, it will be nearer -5C all day. Indeed, any showers late tonight could well fall as snow. I've just popped my head outside and the wind is much stronger than first thing, it's whistling in the phone wires and has spots of rain coming in on it. Looks like a rest from the rain but with the penalty of being colder. Jack and I will go for an early walk!
05:15. Back in the hutch. There was light rain blowing on on the strong, gusty wind when we set out but that's cleared now and the cloud is breaking up. The moon is trying to break through. The wind is very variable with gusts strong enough to make an old bloke stagger! It's cold as well even though this is forecast to be the warmest part of the day, Face ache and ears hurting. I was warm enough, a thick fleece and the Crombie on top of a good teeshirt and an Osh Kosh twill working shirt with a heavy scarf. It must sound over the top to you people celebrating a cool day of 19C.... Believe me you need it! Glad to be back in the warm.....
11:00. We've just had our short late morning walk in a light hail shower. I can believe the -5C wind chill. It's bitter out there.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Wind, hail, snow & sunshine!!
Say only a little but say it well.
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

White world out here - it always seems to come at weekend!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We never had enough snow for it to stick but it was bitter cold in that wind. Broken cloud and very cold but dry last night and early this morning. Glass is steady on 28.5". Forecast is for a high chance of rain at any time during the day. The cold wind will continue until midday when it will start to strengthen as we come under the influence of the big low pressure moving in on the North of Scotland and the temperature will rise as the wind will be mild. This Atlantic low is going to dominate our weather until Tuesday at least. Deep joy if you have to be out in it!
We were back in the hutch at 05:30 after a damp walk. Light rain when we set off but by the time we got back it had become heavier, perhaps a sign of what we can expect today. The forecast is firming up for tomorrow. Expect very strong winds all day.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Snow all gone, now light rain but no wind at present.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I seem to remember being woken by the wind some time during the night. Not too severe this morning but very gusty and mild but dry, we've had our walk. The glass is steady on 28.5". The forecast is dominated by the wind which will strengthen during the day and persist until tomorrow morning. It's mild, but even so with the wind chill it will feel like sub-zero for much of the day after dinner. At the moment it's dry but during the day there's a good chance of the occasional heavy shower and some bright intervals. It will be colder tomorrow but the picture for the week is more wind and rain. February fill dyke, black or white.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

It got very wild just before midnight with gusts between 50 & 60 mph. It kept me awake for a couple of hours worrying about my poly tunnel but it's still there this morning!
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

The wind is gusting now - not too cold though.
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Rain rain and more rain, with strong very gusty winds.
We had the fall-out from tropical cyclone STAN (W.A.) last night and this morning.
75.8mm in some areas.
My street was awash, luckily we are on a slight slope, lots of damage statewide.
Wettest Feb day since 1995.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Us too Cazza.
Not cold, but very grey and street lights have been on all day.
Nice for a change. It will do the garden good.
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

It is very windy and wet here, storm Henry !!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

For some reason my post has vanished into the ether! Glass is steady on 28.5". We've had our walk and it's very windy and cold with a thin high overcast that the moon is only just penetrating. The wind chill is down to about -4C. We will have gradually diminishing strong wind all day and a chance of the occasional shower, most likely around 10:00. The deep low pressure between Iceland and Scotland is moving slowly on towards Norway but even so the shipping forecast gives lots of storm force 10 warnings. If that was in the South they'd declare a national emergency.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Dry, clear sky and a bitter wind at 21:00 last night. First thing this morning very cold and sleet falling. Just looked out of the door and it's wet snow now. Glass has risen slightly to just over 28.6". Forecast is for a bright overcast day after a wintry start, a slightly later walk might be a good idea. Theoretical high of 5C but the constant moderate westerly breeze is cold and after a -5C start will improve but never feel better than 1C. I think it's a wintry day.....
Later at 06:30. The forecast was accurate, we waited until 6AM and it had stopped sleeting/snowing. Still some wet snow about on cars and pavements but nothing significant. The snow plough is about but I feel he's perhaps just showing the flag. Didn't seem to be spreading anything. It's bitter cold out there and damp and when you ar facing the wind it's instant face ache! All told, glad to be back in the warm.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Broken cloud and spits of rain on the fresh west wind at 21:00 last night. Light rain this morning first thing. Glass is just below 28.9". Forecast is for a milder heavily overcast day with the chance of a light shower at almost any time. The westerly breeze will be moderate and constant all day. Theoretical high of 9C but feels like 5C due to wind chill. Not an exciting day at all!
05:15. Back in the hutch after a breezy walk with light rain. The temperature hasn't started to rise yet and the wind chill is keeping it very cold. Still, could be worse and we are both exercised and we've had our morning dose of fresh air!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

There is a much stronger wind than in the forecast..30 to 40mph.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I thought that when we had our early walk Wendy. At 21:00 last night we had a moderate westerly breeze and light rain. Mild this morning with a light breeze but at the moment no rain. The glass is steady at just below 28.9". The forecast is for a very similar day to yesterday. We are dominated by a steady moderate SW breeze which will bring in scattered light rain showers which may get heavier and more persistent this afternoon. The theoretical high is 9C but the wind chill will moderate that and we shall have around 4C all day getting cooler tonight. We are between weather systems at the moment, hence to moderate variable weather. No early walk this morning as I am governed by when Kath opens up at the butcher's.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Heavy cold rain at 21:00 last night. Dry, cold and a clear sky first thing this morning. Sill dry now but overcast. Glass is down sharply on 28.3". Forecast is for rain to come in around 09:00 and persist all day. The wind is a light southerly at the moment and will gradually increase through the day. Theoretical high is 9C but it will feel more like just above freezing all day. I think an early walk is indicated!
05:30. Back in the hutch after a pleasant walk. It's calm, dry, cool and there must be some breaks in the overcast because I saw a couple of stars. However the forecasters are predicting some rough weather with heavy rain and strong winds coming in later tonight and on Sunday. That explains why the glass is falling so fast. Ah well, that's for tomorrow, with a bit of luck it might be dry enough in the NE for my mates to cast the cylinders for me.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Dry with a moderate breeze last night at 21:00. Same this morning. Glass is down like a stone to below 27.8", no doubt exaggerated by my barometer but a sharp fall nevertheless. The forecast is for it to be overcast but dry until later in the morning and then the SW wind will increase and we will have periods of heavy rain. Not quite as bad as the dire warnings the Met Office were issuing yesterday but I think that as usual they were talking about southern regions. The theoretical high is 5C but it will always feel much colder than that, below freezing all day. From 10:00 onwards it could be a nasty, cold and wet day. Deep Joy!
05:35. Back home after a dry walk in a moderate SW breeze which is bitterly cold. I can well believe the Met Office forecast of -3C for the wind chill! Never mind, it's dry, that's the main thing.
One thing I am noticing is that the days are lengthening nicely!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Just had wind, rain, sunshine & hail - strange weather!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

We're back to `water as far as the eye can see' again. It was all green fields yesterday as the 30 hours of heavy rain fell and the wind blew hard, then all that water made its way down into the rivers which are controlled by weirs that let it out onto the plain. Sacrificial flooding of the countryside to protect the new housing estates built on the original flood plains which have now become part of the local town suburbs.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Great for the new estates but not so great for you in the Levels. It makes good sense but far better if the original flood plains had been preserved and houses built on higher ground.....
Wet and windy at 21:00 last night and the same this morning, cold hard rain. The glass has dropped right to the bottom for the second time this winter, it's reading an exaggerated 27.4", very low! The forecast is 'February fill dyke', heavy rain all day brought in on a strong SW or W wind. Theoretical high is 6C but the wind chill will take it to freezing or below all day. Horrible weather but dead simple!
I've had a furtle and my barometer is reading about 1" lower than true at this extreme, this means that the true reading is about 28.3", still very low. No point adjusting it because at mid range it's accurate. It still reports the changes....
Listening to the forecast Tiz is going to get the mucky end of the stick again today. Storm Imogen is having more effect in the SW than up here. Expect shrieks of outrage from London and the SE as they get their share of it.....
07:00. Back home after a cold wet walk in full waterproof gear. Jack is rubbed down and feels no pain. A nasty morning.....
11:00. still nasty as we got back from our late walk. Raining heavily, very cold, black clouds rolling in and butts Beck is running a banker and still rising.... Not a nice day at all....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

From where I'm hiding - we seem to have gone straight from Gertrude to Imogen. It looks like Henry came and went without 'troubling the judge'. :smile:
I can't wait for storm 'Tegan'. Who picks these crazy names?
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Whatever the name, it's a nasty one, not because of the wind but the almost continuous heavy cold rain for the last 36 hours. Butts Beck was high yesterday dinnertime, it will be roaring this morning.... Still raining first thing this morning. Glass is still very low but showing signs of rising, reads 27.7" this morning. The forecast offers a break in the heavy rain after 6AM and then scattered showers with bright intervals until it clears up completely around 19:00. It's a colder day with a theoretical high of 4C but the continuing strong SW/W wind will keep us feeling well below freezing all day. The wind will gradually decrease during the day and the outlook for the next few days is drier but colder. I think a slightly later walk is indicated!
05:30. Just had a look outside, it is still raining steadily.... I shall go into the brain gym and be patient....

07:20. Back in the house after a cold but dry walk. The forecast was spot on! Interesting experience walking in daylight, it's months since I had an early morning walk that wasn't in the dark. I think Jack enjoyed it as well. The clouds have broken for a while but just as I went out I noted that the glass was falling yet again. I was right about Butts Beck, it's thundering over the weir behind Briggs and Duxbury's, as high as I have ever seen it. One bonus for Jack was that he met his favourite bitch as she came to work at B&D's, she gave Jack a good tease before going inside to her bed in front of the fire.....
10:30. We had our short walk after a sharp shower. Jack dry again! It's bitter cold out there and what fell in the shower was sleet, not far off snow..... Saw Ringo stood on his doorstep wondering whether to go for a run. I told him to go back inside and wait for the morrow. We are promised dry but cold!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

At 21:00 last night we still had light rain but it cleared during the night and the stars peeped through. First thing this morning and now it is overcast, very light wind, dry and feels colder. The glass is still low, 28", but rising. The forecast is for a dry bright day with a constant light West wind. The theoretical high is 5C but it will never feel warmer than 1C at best, for the greater part of the day the wind chill will keep us below freezing. But it's dry! That is a great improvement.
05:35. We have had a pleasant dry walk on an almost calm morning. Sky is clearing, a couple of stars peeping through. Best morning for quite a while!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Bright sunny morning here - been a touch of frost.

Return to “Seasons”