Winter 2015/16

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Re: Winter 2015/16

Post by PanBiker »

The sun is shining for you Moh. :sunny3:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Late up this morning and it's dry, calm and a sharp frost. Lovely walk round the town, what my mother would call 'healthy weather'. Remember that a green winter means a full churchyard.....
The glass is up slightly at 28.3 on my defective barometer. The forecast is dead simple, a bright cold dry day with a frost and a very light breeze that will back during the day from the west into the South and end up late tonight in the East. In other words, it looks settled and we can expect a few proper kindly winter days. Good! The only cloud on the horizon as another large low on its way towards us out in the Atlantic but it's not fast moving and there is time for it to change its mind. The forecast of storms and rain for the weekend may change.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Snow forecast for Saturday - always seems to come at weekend. The gritters were all out last night, seems daft putting it on dry busy roads the cars passing will blow it into the gutter.
Say only a little but say it well.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Probably justifying their existence Moh! There hasn't been a lot of call for salt this winter....
Dry, clear and cold with very little wind last night and this morning. The glass is moving downwards, on 28.1" this morning, not a good sign! The forecast is for a very quiet day. Cold but no frost, a light East wind all day, it will always feel sub zero because of the wind chill. Hardly any chance of rain. The outlook is continuing cold with a chance of a snow shower tomorrow but no violent weather in sight as yet.
06:35. Back from the butcher's, there was a light sleet/snow shower just before we set off and despite no warning in the forecast some pavements were slippy but not seriously so. on the whole, a good walk and Jack got back with a dry back!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

One more sleep Stanley...
. Are you getting excited??
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Slightly apprehensive Cathy.... I haven't opened any of my cards, I'll let Susan do it as we are having our tea, that should prove to be a distraction! Must decide what I am going to wear.... I might surprise them and wear my kilt and Lovat jacket....
Clear dry and cold last night and this morning. I've just popped me head out the door and it looks as though we have overcast, a bit of mist but no frost. The glass is still falling slowly, down below 28". The forecast is for an overcast start to the day with the chance of a wintry shower until midday brought in on a slightly stronger East wind. Theoretical high is 3C bit with the wind chill it'll feel like sub zero all day, as low as -3C most of the time. Jack and I will sally forth! Outlook is for more of the same.....
06:00. Back home after a pleasant mid winter walk. Dry, not frosty, almost no wind and a light mist under an overcast sky. The town is very quiet apart from one of Jack's mates, a little Jack Russell bitch who delights in teasing him. Things could be a lot worse!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Dry, clear and cold with a light east wind last night and the same this morning. The glass is steady on 28". The forecast is very similar to yesterday. A touch colder but no frost. The East wind will swing round to the North as the day goes on but will remain moderate. The theoretical high is 3C but will always feel sub-zero because of the wind chill. We could possibly have a light snow shower any time now but then it will be dry for the rest of the day with sunny spells. Not a bad day.....05:50. Back home after a bracing walk on a dry cold morning. The East wind is light but when you are walking into it it makes your eyes water! Heard an owl in Valley Gardens, a first for me I think. My main thought was how lucky I was to be striding out well with no pain and breathing easily considering the number of miles on the clock. It just goes to show that life can be very surprising.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Never mind the weather Stanley. You will sleep like a baby after a meal and a few drinks in front of a warm fire, then get taken home and poured in to bed. Some kind soul will whip your kilt off you, feed the dog and pull the back door shut!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I shan't be over imbibing Maz, I've seen too many people spoil a nice occasion by getting tanked up. It's years since I was in the Heifer and when they ask me what I want to drink I shall have a pint of black and tan, always my preferred drink in the days when I was in there every night except Sunday.... Thos days have gone, one will last me all evening!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

You'll find the Heifer has changed a bit since you last visited.....I doubt if they serve pints never mind a black & tan. (Is that Guinness over bitter or mild?)
It's a cold, cold day.
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Cold but sunn - no sign of the snow yet!1
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I got my Black and Tan Wendy.... The Heifer has changed somewhat in the almost 60 years since I was a regular.... Our group photo was taken at 6PM in a light snow shower. Cold dry and frosty this morning. They forecast an even colder night tonight. The glass has jumped to 29". The forecast is for a dry, bright frosty day with a constant light northerly wind. That's about it! Dead simple and a colder day to come tomorrow. We were back in the house at 6AM after our walk. Bracing! But dry and healthy.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A clear very cold night. Freezing at 21:00 with a brisk Southerly wind and the same this morning. We have just had our walk and it's dry, clear and very cold, that moderate breeze goes straight through you! The glass is up again at 29.2". The forecast is for a hard frost to start the day, theoretically it's -1C but I think it's colder than that. With the wind chill it is at least -6C and possibly lower. The roads haven't been salted and they are slippy. It will be bright and sunny at times during the daylight hours but as it gets dark the weather will change with an increasing probability of a wintry shower from late afternoon and into the evening. The wind is constant, from the south and gradually increasing. Tomorrow is going to be cold, wet and windy and there is more then an outside chance of snow.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Beautiful day but the wind has just got up. My glass is at 30.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

None of them is dead accurate Moh, it's the movement that counts. Mine exaggerates at the extremities of readings.
Light cold rain at 21:00 last night and heavier cold rain this morning. The glass is down, almost at 28.6". The forecast is nasty. Theoretical high of 4C at the moment cooling down during the day to 2C. Rain until 18:00 and could be snow at times. The wind is brisk all day, starting in the south and ending up in the NW, the wind chill will make it feel sub-zero all day. Looks like a good day for being inside in the warm but I shall have to take Jack for his walk.....
05:55. Back in the hutch after a lousy walk. Heavy sleet/rain blowing in your face. Jack is a little hero, he never refuses to go out even on a morning like this. Full wet weather gear and no glasses so at least I could see. It will surprise me if this lot isn't coming down as snow up at Wendy's.... Glad to be back inside, all I need to do now is get the milk, thank God the Co-op is only a stone's throw away. Lots to be said for living in the middle of a small town.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

No snow Stanley, just a lot of rain. A day for Dennis & Sparky to stay inside!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That was handy Wendy! Your fields will be like ours down here, sodden.
Clear night and morning. Glass is steady on 28.5". Forecast is for a frosty start and then a cold, dry, bright overcast day until late tonight when some rain/snow could come in. A light to moderate westerly breeze will chill us to below zero all day. A much better day than yesterday but perhaps only a flash in the pan....
05:40. Back indoors after a good dry walk on a calm morning with a surprisingly sharp frost. Many pavements slippy underfoot but no complaints! Things could be a lot worse!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good day yesterday but a bit of unexpected drizzle mid morning. Broken cloud after rain at 21:00 last night. Overcast this morning, dry but a hint of rain in the air? The glass is up slightly, almost on 28.6". The forecast is for a bright overcast start to the day with a moderate SSW wind. Around 11:00 the wind will rise a bit and bring in what could be heavy rain until about 20:00 tonight. The theoretical temperature will rise as the wind strengthens rising to the dizzy heights of 7C but the reality is that it will be cold enough to give ice on untreated surfaces until mid morning and will only get to about 2C with the wind chill later. Not a bad start but depressing weather later on if you have to be out in it. Still, look on the bright side, our walk to the butcher's this morning could be dry!
06:35. Back in the house after a dry walk but it's much colder than I expected. Any untreated surface, and that means the pavements, exposed to the brisk SW wind is shot ice and very treacherous. I minced down to the butcher's very carefully walking in the road or on the grass wherever possible, nasty walking conditions. One good thing though. The sky is clear and by 06:30 it was definitely coming daylight! The days are lengthening nicely.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Very mild and a blustery wind at 21:00 and during the night. Still a fair breeze and light rain early on this morning. It has stopped raining at the moment. The glass is down to 28.3". The forecast is for a warmer day with a stiff westerly breeze and a high chance of rain, sometimes heavy, all day. Could be a good time to get out for a walk!

05:35. Apart from one light spatter of rain, a dry walk and much milder than yesterday. I think we got out just in time....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Miserable here - wind & rain - not a day for a walk. it is cold too.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It was the same here Moh for much of the day. February fill dyke weather....
Light rain on a blustery wind at 21:00 last night. Virtually the same this morning. The glass is steady on 28.3". The forecast is very simple, Steady rain all day on a strong but mild west wind that will rise towards noon and slacken slightly afterwards. Up periscope!
06:00. We're back in the hutch and Jack has been rubbed down so he is feeling no pain! The wind was lighter than I expected but the rain is a steady drizzle. I suspect that this is going to be the story for the rest of the day. We are trapped in a no man's land between a slow moving low up near Iceland and a high around the Azores and there is no prospect of any big change for the next 36 hours. Not cheerful weather but look on the bright side, it could be snow!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was a wet one! Still light rain at 21:00. Dry and calmer this morning but colder as well. Glass is trying to rise from a low of 28.3". The forecast is for a bright overcast day, mainly dry with a moderating west wind and becoming colder. Theoretical high is 3C but this morning there is a danger of ice underfoot as wet surfaces freeze. The wind chill will ensure it feels like below freezing all day.
05:45. Back home after a pleasant dry but chilly walk. Broken cloud and a brilliant full moon low in the NW, a lovely sight! Funny how we so often get a change in the weather with a full moon....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

So nice to have a dry day yesterday! Same this morning but perhaps colder. The cloud last night and this morning was broken, moving fast and it was a north wind. The glass is rising and on 28.6". The forecast is for a dry, bright sunny day with a light NW wind. The theoretical high is 5C but the wind chill will take that down to 1C and for most of the day it will feel like sub-zero. No change in sight, it looks as though February is going to go out with a dry face! Question is, will March come in like a lion!
05:45. Back home after a very acceptable walk. A sharp frost, almost calm, scattered cloud but a brilliant almost full moon. No real problems underfoot as most paths and pavements dried out yesterday. Jack enjoyed it as it is a good morning for scent.... he left no pee uninvestigated! It's a pain in the bum hanging about while he gets his wee-mail but what many dog owners don't realise is that this is essential for a happy dog, scent is how Jack maps his world and he checks on all his mates even if he doesn't see them. I once saw a film made by an 'expert dog trainer' in which he showed how to discourage a dog from sniffing at every territory marker. He was successful but did he end up with a better adjusted dog?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Just been up to the caravan at Heysham, if the chairs had not been packed away we could have eaten our picnic on the decking the sun was so warm.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Cold and dry with a NW wind last night at 21:00. Hard frost this morning under a clear sky with a brilliant moon. The glass is rising slowly and is just above 28.7". The forecast is for a very cold bright overcast day with a theoretical high of 3C but it will never feel better than freezing. There is a very light west or NW wind all day and another hard frost tonight. Virtually no chance of rain. No change in sight, a spell of settled weather.
05:35. Back home after a good walk on a calm morning with a hard frost (I think colder than the -4C forecast, feels more like -6 or lower to me!) a clear sky, ground crunching underfoot and to finish it off a brilliant moon. Just about a perfect mid-winter early morning. This and better will do nicely.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Seasons”