Winter 2015/16

Marilyn
VIP Member

Re: Winter 2015/16

Post by Marilyn »

That actually sounds a wee bit grim to me.
Still sleeping without bedclothes at our end, but totally comfortable without being too hot...the big difference we notice since living by the coast. I haven't had one sweaty night all Summer. (Which I am most thankful for, because I spent years sweating through Summer nights when I lived in the city, turning my pillow over every half an hour trying to find a cool dry spot and trying to ignore the sweat tickling as it trickled down my ribs. I often had two or three cold showers per day and even sat in a cold bath. I hate the heat...weather much nicer by the beach!)
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

The sun is shining at the moment but we have black clouds around and have just had a few flurries of snow.
Say only a little but say it well.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Maz, if you were still living here you'd get acclimatised and be as enthusiastic as I am. However, I will admit that my good feeling is definitely because of the contrast between the nasty wet days and the crisp dry ones.
Moh, we had the odd flake of snow as well later in the day and even a light sower of rain at 21:0o last night. Dry, calm and frost this morning and I don't doubt the frost will get more severe as dawn approaches. I get up so early I'm often up before Jack Frost! The glass is down slightly to 28.6" this morning. The forecast is for another cold bright day, less cloud than yesterday. A very light W/NW breeze all day. A sharp frost developing up to 08:00 this morning and then warming up under the sun, frost will return late tonight. The theoretical high is 3C but it will vary from -4C to just above freezing under the combination of wind chill and sun. It was colder yesterday than the forecast and I suspect the same will apply today. But a good day for being out and about if you are wrapped up well.
We were back in the house at 05:30 after a walk like yesterday morning. As I predicted, the frost has hardened but the good thing is that the water from the late rain shower last night must have dried off during the night because there are no serious slippy patches. Very cold, but bone dry, not a bad walk!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Another dry frost but perhaps not as severe as yesterday. The glass is down slightly again at just below 28.5". The forecast is for another dry bright overcast day with no frost, a mainly SE light breeze that ends up in the East tonight and no severe weather. There's a change coming but its progress is slow and at the moment it's quiet weather. Will March come in like a lion?
06:35. Back in after what must have been a perfect late February walk. Dry, calm, no frost and daylight creeping in despite the overcast as we walked back. This and better will do. I wonder if March is going to come in with a roar......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Quiet weather last night and this morning. Dry, calm and not too cold. The glass is rock steady where it was yesterday, just below 28.5". The forecast is a re-run of yesterday. Early frost, bright overcast, very light and steady east wind. No rain expected and a theoretical high of 3C but the wind chill will keep it feeling sub zero all day. Good walking weather!
05:30. Back in the hutch after a nice walk. Frosty, calm, light overcast (but not enough to stop the moon showing through) and just a trace of mist in the air. It doesn't get much better than this at the end of February.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Broken cloud, calm and dry last night. Looks the same this morning except that the overcast is light and the moon is shining through. The glass is up at over 28.7". The forecast is, once more, good. A light mainly E wind all day, Theoretical high of 5C and bright overcast with some sun and no rain. No frost, very quiet weather but there is a change coming as we move into March.

05:40. Another quiet pleasant walk round the town. Calm and the overcast is thinning, some stars are peeping though as well as the moon. This is good weather for the time of year.... good for a walk again today!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Clear and calm at 21:00 last night. Same this morning with a hard frost, breath steaming and grass crunching underfoot. Sky lightening before 6AM and at the moment we have a red dawn sky, 'Red in the morning. Shepherd's warning' could be accurate because this looks like the last quiet day. The glass is up at almost 29" which is a bit of a surprise because the word is that this good spell of weather is failing. The forecast is for an overcast day with early frost and a very light south wind. During the day the wind will strengthen and by this evening the rain will come in getting heavier the later it gets. The theoretical high is 3C but it will never feel like above freezing all day. I don't think we'll have any snow today but it will be getting close to it tonight. We had a later walk and enjoyed it, particularly the onset of daylight at 06:15. By the way, I hadn't realised this was a Leap Year until I saw the date this morning. Rush of ladies making proposals of marriage to men?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It was noticeable yesterday afternoon that the wind was rising and the forecast was spot on, cold hard rain at 21:00 last night and the same this morning. The glass has fallen rapidly down to 28.2" The forecast is for heavy rain all day apart from a break in the early afternoon and late evening. Theoretical high of 8C but moderated by a strong wind, SW at the moment but backing to westerly later. This is entirely different weather, March has come in like a lion! Not looking forward to our walk....
05:30. We are back indoors and Jack is rubbed down. It has obviously rained for most of the night because the ground is sodden once more and the flow in Butts Beck is considerably heavier. The rain is at times heavy, very cold and more than a hint of sleet in it. On the whole a good morning to be indoors. I had full wet weather gear on and such a blessing to be able to go out in driving rain without glasses and still see clearly enough to find dog muck in the dark! Glad to be indoors.... If any of you have to be out in it you have my sympathy.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Light rain at 21:00 last night and light snow this morning with very little wind. The glass has fallen like a stone in the night and my exaggerated reading is 27.8". That's not accurate but the important thing is the rapidity of the fall. This is not a good sign! The forecast is not a pretty sight! The theoretical high is above freezing but only just and the wind chill from the brisk West wind will take the wind chill as low as -5C at times. We will have sleet/snow showers until noon and then there will be a bright spell, until dark when we will get another three or four hours of wintry showers. At the moment the sleet isn't settling as snow and it remains to be seen whether this changes. One thing is certain, it is a very wintry day and I shall be glad to be back indoors after our walk! If you have to be outside today you have my sympathy!
06:00. Well! I'm glad that's over! The wind had fooled me, it was much stronger than I thought and as we set off up the back street a violent sleet shower hit is and boy, did it sting what small parts of my face were visible, I had my Helly Hansen coat on with the hood up and the zip right to the top, only my eyes showing! Luckily it abated after about five minutes and we were lucky for the rest of the walk. Even so, Jack got wet and I think it's the first time I have ever seen him shiver. The man who cleans the shop windows in the Town Centre was busy washing windows down..... Without doubt the most unpleasant walk of the winter for both of us.
I have an unpleasant thought for you.... During the bitter winter of 1946/47 the worst snow of the century hit us on the night of 4/5 March and paralysed the country for about a week. Mild air brought a quick thaw and floods followed. I remember it and I sincerely hope that we don't have a repetition! (See this LINK)

09:00. Done my shopping and popped back in to post this pic.

Since I did this it has snowed heavily and is building up on the ground. Winter!

11:00. We have had our second walk. The snow has stopped but there is a lot of slush and packed snow on the pavements so very bad underfoot. The sooner it thaws the better!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

It was raining & blowing at 8am - at 8.35 am it began snowing and by 9am we had two inches. Briercliffe Road in Burnley was at a standstill at 9.30am, only one lane was gritted and a bus was stopped at the bottom of the hill with half a mile of traffic behind it - yesterday when it was raining the gritters were out!! It is lovely and sunny at the moment.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We had a good afternoon as well Moh. By evening all the snow had gone and at 21:00 last night it was clear and drying with a strong wind. This morning it is clear, cold and dry as a bone! The glass is rising but still very low at 28.1". The forecast is much better. We are promised a bright overcast day with no rain/snow until late tonight. There will be a slight frost early on and a theoretical high of 5C in the middle of the day. The light wind starts in the NW and during the course of the day swings round through southerly and ends up in the east later tonight. It will give a wind chill of below zero for much of the day. Hopefully the pavements will have cleared and dried so better conditions underfoot.
04:50. We went for an early walk because I am itching to get into the shed! Since 03:00 a sharp frost has developed, sharper than the forecast suggested. The Council haven't gritted and although the roads are mainly dry, any patches of damp are freezing and some drivers may be in for a surprise. Clear sky, lovely crescent moon and the wind is light. Dry underfoot so on the whole a very acceptable walk. First time I have worn my Crombie for a few days, it has been waterproofs lately! The outlook is wetter tomorrow and staying cold....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I didn't like the look of the weather and went to the butcher's yesterday at dinnertime in the sunshine. Good call! By 21:00 last night we had light rain, this morning we have snow and it's sticking. The glass is down even further, my exaggerated reading is 27.6", possibly the lowest I have ever seen it record. ( the true reading should be around 28.6" which is still very low) The forecast is dead simple and nasty, a light but strengthening wind from the NE is bringing in snow and will do so all day. Adding the wind chill brings us down to -4C all day. It was snowing at 03:00 and it is still falling and sticking now. Not a lot more to say! Once again let me remind you that the heaviest snow fall of the 20th century started like this on March 4th 1947. I'm not saying that this is what we are getting now but it's worth noting that March is still winter. I think we will wait for a bit of daylight before we go for our walk!
07:00. We went for our walk later so I could get my BET from Singh's in the Square but would you believe that an inch of snow has paralysed the news delivery network? Snow light, steady and accumulating. Glad I went to the butcher's yesterday. Have a nice day everyone!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

By 21:00 last night all the snow had thawed and we had light rain. This morning at 03:00 we had light sleet but clear streets. The glass is rising and is on 28". The forecast is for a much drier day with little chance of rain. The steady moderate N/NW wind will make the temperature feel like freezing or below all day. It will be overcast but with an occasional sunny interval. A much better day, the outlook for tomorrow is similar but colder.
06:15 Back indoors after a brisk walk round the town, almost dry underfoot, no snow, no frost and where you were sheltered from the N wind, almost pleasant. Things could be a lot worse!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It was cold and dry at 21:00 last night with a moderate N wind. Same this morning I think. The glass is still low on 28.1" but trying to rise. We aren't out of this spell of weather yet! The forecast is for a cold bright day with little chance of rain. The light West wind will swing into the North and strengthen during the day. The theoretical high is 3C but we will never feel it because of the wind chill. At least it's dry! I'm running late this morning, we shall go for our walk.....
07:00. Back from our walk round the town. I was running late and so it was daylight when we went out, a refreshing change. There was one slight surprise, the forecast had mentioned a slight possibility of an early shower even though there is a sharp frost, we went out in light snow that was sticking and which got slightly heavier as we walked round. I think it has stopped now. Despite that a pleasant walk and a nice change to be able to see clearly. The days are lengthening, there is hope for us yet!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Dry clear and cold at 21:00 last night, same this morning with a moderate frost. Glass is steady on 28.1". Forecast is for a colder, brighter day with a light NW breeze for most of the day. Theoretical high is 3C but we shall reach the dizzy heights of 1C as the sun shines, apart from that, below freezing all day. No appreciable rain or snow. A quiet day.....
05:20. Back in the hutch after a cold walk on a calm dry frosty morning. Not bad at all for this time of year. Jack and I are feeling no pain....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

At 21:00 last night it was dry, clear, almost calm (slight NW wind) and already below freezing. This morning we have a sharp frost, still dry but the sky is clouding over. The glass is up slightly at almost 28.3". The forecast is for no frost so they are wrong there already. They forecast a light SW/S wind all day with the slight chance of a rain/snow shower in the next four hours but otherwise dry until the end of the day, rain possible around midnight. The theoretical high is 5C but given their performance so far, expect it to feel near or below freezing all day. The Met Office says there is a change coming as wind and rain come in from the Atlantic. It wouldn't surprise me if this system is moving faster than this forecast suggests. It could get milder by weekend but expect some rough weather until we get there.
We've already had our walk and it was cold but good for the time of year. Dry, frosty and calm but overcast coming in.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

At 21:00 last night it was calm, relatively mild and just a bit damp. This morning it was raining first thing and is still raining now, if anything it's heavier. The glass is well down on 27.8", inaccurate I know but it's the movement that counts. (I really ought to look into an accurate barometer to compare to my old-fashioned aneroid one)
The forecast is for this significant rain to be constant until after 06:00 and then slackening off but with the chance of a shower all day. The Theoretical high is 3C but will be moderated all day by a moderate Northerly air flow which at times will take us below freezing. Heavy overcast all day. Could be a good move to delay our walk for an hour.... The outlook is for a slow warm up in the weather during the rest of the week. Could March be preparing to go out like a lamb?

Back in the hutch at 06:45. Good call going later because the forecast was right, the rain was very light and has ceased altogether at the moment (07:20). Very heavy overcast but despite that, enough daylight to see at 06:15. The days are getting more cheerful! All my jobs done including washing some bedding, a good start, I am ready for the shed!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Calm clear and cold at 21:00 last night. Sharp frost under a clear sky at 03;)) this morning. Just looked out the door and I got a surprise, it's no longer frosty and as usual, the overcast is coming in. The glass is up with a bang to 28.5". The forecast is for a boringly overcast day with only a slight chance of a shower mid morning. The wind is very light and all over the place coming from every quarter except the south until late this evening when it gets into the SE. The temperature is just above freezing all day and the outlook is warmer.
Back in the hutch at 06:00 with dawn in the east, you could see the first wisps of daylight at 05:30, lovely! Calm, dry and no frost, a very acceptable mid March walk, this and better will do. The weather is warming quietly over the next few days, dare we start thinking about Spring?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Calm overcast and cold at 21:00. Same this morning, no frost. The glass is still rising, it's on 28.7" this morning. A hopeful sign....
The forecast is encouraging. We are promised a brighter day, no rain expected and plenty of sunny spells. The wind is light all day starting in the East but getting into the South later. Things are warming up, the theoretical high is 8C and even allowing for the wind chill will never feel colder than 4C. The ground is drying and I don't doubt Col will be letting Dennis and Sparky have a run out today! If I didn't have to go to the butcher's Jack and I would be having a very early walk on a pleasant morning. As it is, we will have to delay it for an hour.
We were back home by 06:45 in broad daylight after a pleasant walk on a dry, calm bright morning. I say bright, the overcast seems to be breaking up and wed will have some sun soon. In 16 days, on the 27th of March the clocks go forward an hour. It begins to feel like the end of winter.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Calm dry and mild under an overcast sky at 21:00 last night and the same this morning. The glass is steady on 28.7". The forecast is almost a re-run of yesterday. Overcast all day with a chance of a light shower any time during the day. Very light mainly southerly breeze and a theoretical high of 8C, slightly warmer than yesterday. The trend is for further improvement..... Things could be worse, March is acting like a lamb.
05:30. Back after a pleasant walk round the town. Relatively mild, overcast, calm and dry. This and better will do nicely. Am considering taking a risk and shaving my head......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Calm, dry and mild last night and this morning. Glass is up at 28.9" and rising. The forecast is a re-run of yesterday but slightly warmer with a theoretical high of 10C moderated only slightly by the constant, very light East wind. No rain forecast. In short, an almost Spring-like day. This and better will do! Have we turned the corner?
05:20. Back home after a very pleasant walk round the town. Calm and very quiet, even the birds are having a lie-in. Very mild, this is a good spell of weather.....

At the moment, the only thing my barometer is showing that is the truth is whether the pressure is going up or down, in terms of the reading it is wildly inaccurate so I have adjusted it to the correct reading based on the pressure charts this morning, 30". I'll see how it performs...
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

At 21:00 last night we had a clear sky with a beautiful crescent moon and much colder. It is cold and dry this morning but overnight the sky has become overcast. There is a bit more wind and while I think we may have escaped a frost, we are not far from it. My adjusted glass is down a touch at 28.8". The forecast is for a dry, bright overcast day eventually after a misty cold start. The main feature is a constant moderate East wind all day. The theoretical high is 8C but the wind chill will make it feel below freezing until mid morning when the overcast will break up and we will see the sun. Still a good day for mid-March....
I shaved my head yesterday..... I wonder if that is what has triggered the fall in temperature!
05:25. back home after a quiet walk round the town. The East wind is lazy, it would rather go through you than around! But, on the whole, a good morning, no sign of the forecast fog as yet.
10:30 and we've had our late morning walk in brilliant sunshine which has some heat in it now. The wind is still cold but it's nice out there.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

At 21:00 last night it was cold with a light east wind. Clear sky with a brilliant waxing moon. This morning as usual, more overcast but dry. Glass is down slightly again at 28.6". The forecast is for a slightly colder day with very little chance of any rain. It will be bright overcast and the light east wind will be constant all day. The theoretical high is 8C but will feel cooler in the wind. It's another good day for mid-March. This and better will do nicely.
05:45. Back after a quiet and very pleasant walk. A few stars still peeping through and because we were slightly later dawn breaking in the East as we got back home. I know it's still winter but one gets the feeling that Spring is just round the corner.
07:45. The sun is shining and I have just pruned the Ladslove.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Stanley wrote: I know it's still winter but one gets the feeling that Spring is just round the corner.
It is Stanley, only 5 days to go. :wink:
Ian
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Had a few glorious days at the caravan - sitting out on the decking whilst hubby gave the chairs & table their annual varnish. Today it was beautiful all the way down until we reached Whalley and came across the clouds and the cold.

Return to “Seasons”