Spring 2016

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Spring 2016

Post by PanBiker »

Winter is now over and it is now the Spring equinox, enjoy.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Spring 2016

Post by Stanley »

Better tell the weather....
Overcast and cold at 21:00, same this morning.... Glass is down again at just below 29.3". Forecast is for a bright overcast day with a very light NW wind that ends up tonight in the SW. Theoretical high is 9C. Slight chance of rain in the early hours but negligible. This weather is getting boring but better than nasty wind and rain!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It was a bright but cold day yesterday. At 21:00 last night we had a north wind and scattered cloud, the occasional star peeping through. It's dry this morning but as usual first thing, more overcast. The glass is down again at 29.2" as the high pressure system that has given us this settled weather loses out to the low pressure coming in from the Atlantic. The forecast is for a more overcast day with a moderate west wind and a faint chance of a shower perhaps but nothing serious. The theoretical high is 8C but this will always be moderated by the wind chill. Still a quiet day but a change is slowly coming in from the west. Could be a lot worse!
05:30. Back in the house. A quiet walk but that wind is constant and cold. There's a slight hint of mizzle in the air and the grass is wet.... But it can only be described as a dry morning.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It didn't surprise me to hear Wendy say that after her walk on Hare Hill yesterday her hands were so cold she had difficulty turning the starter key in her motor. That was a cold wind yesterday! Last night at 21:00 the broken cloud was clearing and the wind had dropped. This morning I think there is more overcast but it's dry, relatively calm and not as cold. The glass is continuing to fall gradually, down on 29" this morning. The forecast is for a dry overcast day, no appreciable chance of any rain. The theoretical high is slightly warmer under the influence of a constant moderate west wind, 9C. There may be the occasional glimpse of the sun but nothing more than that in the forecast. Quiet weather with slow moving weather systems.
05:30. Back home after a pleasant walk on a much warmer morning because it is almost calm and what wind there is is not cold. The birds were singing, I'll bet they appreciate it! Not a bad morning......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was as per the forecast. Dry, light wind and overcast sky at 21:00. Same this morning. The glass is still dropping slowly, almost down to 28.9". The forecast is a re-run of yesterday but slightly cooler. A light West or South West breeze all day, a high of 7C and almost certainly no rain. March is behaving like a lamb....
06:00. Back home after a quiet dry walk on a very calm morning with daylight breaking. Cool but not cold. Butts Beck is showing the signs of the dry weather, it's down to a trickle. I have seen much worse late March mornings than this!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Our mornings are darker and our sunsets are earlier.
Still sleeping under a sheet ( really only needed over the feet and lower legs in the early hours)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Time to get the thick knickers out of the back of the drawer Maz....
At 21:00 last night it was dry, calm and a clear sky. Overcast this morning but no big change. The glass is falling more rapidly, down to 28.6". The forecast is for a change. The SW wind will increase during the morning and from 08:00 onwards we are promised proper rain which will persist until nightfall. The high is 7C. It looks as though the Atlantic system has finally overcome the high pressure in the East which has been protecting us. It will be a change!
Back indoors at 06:00. A dry calm walk but a hint of moisture in the air. Not quite mizzle but it's reacting with the salt on the roads and they appear to be wet. (Remembers lectures on hygroscopic materials at school....) Not a bad morning and on balance a bit of rain will be a good thing, the ground is very dry for the time of year.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Dry and overcast at 21:00 last night. Same this morning. The glass is tending to rise this morning from an overnight low of 28.5". The forecast is for a bright sunny day, 10C and a moderate SW wind all day. Enjoy it, tomorrow we are promised wind and rain. After all, it's Easter!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We had scattered rain showers yesterday, dry at 21:00 last night. Dry this morning but overcast. Glass is dropping, down on 28.3" The forecast reflects this. We have a brisk Southerly wind and it will be constant all day bringing in rain, heavy at times, for the rest of the day.Not quite as strong as they were predicting earlier, the gales are going to be in the SW with Tiz, we are getting off lighter. High of 10C so the rain may trigger some growth. Not a very nice day if you are on holiday!
05:35. Back after a dry walk in a brisk breeze, strong enough to blow leaves and paper bags round. Heavy overcast, no sign of the full moon.
Don't forget to put your clocks forward an hour tonight before you go to bed! Check on the site to see if you are on summertime. If my memory is correct it doesn't do it automatically for you.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The rain was late coming in yesterday, started spotting at 15:00 but it took an hour to develop into proper rain. By 21:00 the rain had stopped and we had an overcast sky, this morning the sky was clear and no rain. The glass has fallen again and is steady on 28". The forecast is for a cooler day (7C high) with a steady moderate SW wind and overcast coming in resulting in scattered showers and bright intervals all day. The showers could be heavy at times and even include a bit of thunder! We shall see..... Off for our walk an hour later because of the clocks changing.
06:30. Back from a chilly walk, the brisk SW wind is cold enough to hurt your ears and make your nose run. The clouds are scattered and the moon is popping its head out. Dawn is breaking and the birds are singing. The rain yesterday wasn't very heavy, the ground is moist but not wet and the beck isn't up much. Could be a lot worse on a late March morning but I pity anyone who is having a day on the beach! Not the best holiday weather I have ever seen.
15:30. They were right, thunder and a heavy hail storm at 15:00!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

At 21:00 last night it was dry, a cold wind and a clear sky. This morning we have persistent cold rain. The glass is down even further. Despite adjusting it it is well below 28", I fear it is telling lies once more, I've just checked and it should be saying 28.5". It is grossly inadequate at its lower range but the fall can be believed, it is just exaggerated. The forecast tells us we have a moderate North wind which will persist until about 10:00 when the rain will stop and the wind swing into the west and strengthen. The theoretical high is 7C, the same as yesterday but a healthy wind chill will make it feel much colder. There is a chance of an odd shower later but on the whole it will be dry. A miserable day for anyone who has invested in an Easter Break!
We were out at six and back by half past. We were lucky, the rain had bated and the wind dropped, still wet but a lot better for Jack. Cold, dark and wet! The general weather forecast is giving High winds and heavy rain for the South East and West. Tiz is getting the bad weather today. No sign of a sudden change to warmer weather in the Five Day Forecast. Hunker down, not long now!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

"Tiz is getting the bad weather today."
It was mainly last night. In our 20 years here I don't recall the wind howling so loudly all night and the rain lashing continuously on the windows. Water got into the conservatory but nothing was damaged. I was surprised to find the trees still standing this morning but I expect there will be trees and fences down somewhere in the village. The river is already up to the top of the banks and ponds have formed in the fields.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You were getting your fair share Tiz. Interesting that 106mph at the Needles grabbed the headlines when the same speed in the North wouldn't merit a mention.
We didn't get the high winds but had a heavy hail shower at 4PM. At 21:00 last night it was dry, a stiff West wind and broken cloud. (Where are all those planes going to at that time of night?) This morning the flags are dry, can't see the sky, it must be overcast. My glass shows that the pressure is rising, I am on 28" this morning, a big improvement on yesterday. The forecast is mixed for us today, we can expect showers after 08:00 but bright intervals as well. The moderate SW wind will gradually reduce during the day and though the theoretical high is 7C it will never feel like anywhere near that. No mention in the forecast but it wouldn't surprise me if some of the showers aren't a bit wintry, it's cold enough for that. I suppose it's a typical late March day, could be a lot worse.....
06:45. Back in the house after a dry but very cold walk. A shower of snow wouldn't surprise me but at the moment the cloud is broken and no danger of anything heavy. Wrap up warm if you are going out!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

It's been snowing heavily for the last 20 minutes or so, white out conditions!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I told you I could smell snow. We had a shower here but it's melted now. Plenty of time for more later. Weren't they big flakes!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I just got this photo through the living room window...2 curlews in the snow.

Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Coming home from the caravan we were surprised when we got near Whalley to see cars with snow on them and the nearer we got everything was white - Spring!!!!!!!
Say only a little but say it well.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It was sharp and Nasty! At 21:00 last night it was not raining but wet flags, a breeze and an almost completely overcast sky. This morning we have light rain at the moment. The glass is rising slowly and on almost 28.2". The forecast is for the rain to cease and then a bright overcast day with a moderate west wind all day. Chance of a shower in the late morning and a theoretical high of 7C but it will never feel better than 3C. At the moment the wind chill is below freezing. Feels slightly different today, I can't smell snow.....
Back in the house at 06:15 after a dry walk but, despite the promises of the forecast, a light shower just before we went out and another just after we came in. These can only be scattered as the clouds are breaking, the moon and stars are peeping through. There has been more rain yhesterday than I realised, Butts Beck is no longer trickling, it's flowing more strongly.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

There are some odd shaped clouds about. Sunny at the moment but the black clouds are all round the hills.
Say only a little but say it well.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Lots of sun yesterday but cold. At 21:00 last night it was dry, breezy and cold. The glass is rising rapidly at the moment, up at 28.5". The forecast is for a warmer, bright day with a very light variable wind that swings all round the compass but settles down to a light westerly later. No prospect of rain and a theoretical high of 9C.Looks like a good day for a bit of welding in the yard!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It was foggy on our early morning walk yesterday but a nice bright day when it burned off. At 21:00 last night the sky was clear, same at 03:00 this morning but it has clouded over now. The glass is rising still but more slowly and is on 28.6". The forecast is dead simple, an overcast day until 14:00 when the rising south wind will bring in rain for the rest of the day. No surprises, not cold. The outlook is for it to become a bit cooler as we go into April. The danger I watch out for at this time of the year is the onset of cold East winds, they can hold the onset of proper Spring back until well into May if we get into that pattern.
We were back from our early morning walk at 06:45 and I was surprised when I went out to find that since early this morning we had dev eloped a sharp frost. No complaints because the wind was light and as my mother used to say "It's healthy weather!" (Mind you, she also used to tell me that food wasn't burned, it was 'well done' and it was good for me....) The wind is thawing it off now. Not a bad morning, a nice dawn and we are into April, there is hope for us yet!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Wet evening, still spotting at 21:00 last night. Flags wet this morning but not actually raining. The glass is down slightly at 28.4". The forecast is for a generally warmer day under the influence of a moderate south wind that will give us rain until early evening when the wind will swing into the east and the day will brighten. Theoretical high of 9C.
Back indoors at 06:15. We were lucky and hit a dry spell between the showers which are coming in on the south wind from a sky covered with broken cloud. The general weather forecast is talking about temperatures of 13c but no way we will get anywhere near this today. It's still cold! (Forecast for London area for tomorrow is a high of 18C.... Dream on Barlick!)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Clear sky and dry at 21:00. Damp- after a recent light shower this morning under an overcast sky. Glass is down again at 28.2" Forecast is for a warmer, dryer brighter day. The very light east wind will swing into the south until late tonight when it veers back into the east again. There is a remote possibility of a light shower early on and later tonight but nothing heavy. Theoretical high under the south wind is 12C, the warmest we have had for a while. Slightly better day.....
Back indoors at 06:30. Pleasant walk on a less cold morning. Almost calm, just a hint of rain in the air. Nothing to complain about for this early in April. Noticeable last night at 21:00 how light the sky was, still being lit by the sunset in the West. This cheers me up more than anything else, the end of cold weather is in sight!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Light rain at 21:00 last night and the same at 04:00 this morning. It has stopped raining at the moment. My bum barometer was showing 1" lower than the actual pressure so I have adjusted it again. This is it's last chance! The forecast is for a warmer day, high of 10C. The moderate east wind will shortly swing into the SW and stay there. We are assured there will be no rain except for a few showers just before dark. A quiet day but the outlook is for it to get cooler and showery under the influence of low pressure building over the UK.
We were out of the house at just after 06:00. What can I say, no wind, no rain and not cold so it must be a good morning for the time of year. However the overcast must be heavy as daylight is slow to develop so the overall impression is of a damp miserable morning. I am ready for some good weather!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The sky was very light at 20:30 last night but dark by 21:30 when there was a clear sky and a light west wind. This morning at 04:00 it was overcast with very light drizzle and is the same now. The adjusted glass is down slightly at 28.9" which suggests a wetter day. The forecast confirms this. The constant moderate west wind all day will bring us a chance of light rain until dinnertime and then clearing skies will give us a bright sunny afternoon. Slightly cooler with a high of 9C and the outlook is wet and colder. Not a bad forecast, typical April showers!

Back indoors at 06:35. Light wind and drizzle but getting light nicely. Jack is rubbed down and feeling no pain. Forecast is for a worse day tomorrow but we must be thankful for what we get! I've seen far worse in April.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Seasons”