Spring 2016

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Spring 2016

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was cooler than I expected and at 21:00 the sky was clear and there was a light west wind. This morning we have light but persistent rain. The glass moving down and is on 28.7". The forecast is not very nice. There will be a stiff blustery West wind all day bringing in frequent cold showers. The theoretical high is 7C but under the wind chill it will feel to be below freezing all day. A good day for being indoors I think. Jack and I will rug up and go for our morning walk......
07:05. Back indoors after a reasonable walk on a cold morning but dry because we waited until there was a break in the clouds. We even had some low sun coming in from the east! But it is a cold morning and if you are outside make sure you wrap up warm. Don't be fooled by the birds singing or the blooming Daffodils! This is not Spring weather, it is the back end of winter.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The sleety showers never stopped yesterday, at 21:00 last night as Jack had his evening pee we got caught in a sharp cold shower. It was raining at 04:00 and is still raining now. The glass is down slightly again, 28.6". The forecast is that the moderate west wind will bring in occasional showers until mid morning, then a good chance of a shower around 16:00 and by late tonight the wind falls and shifts into the NW. In between we could have bright sunny spells. April showers again! The theoretical high is 9C but will never feel better than 6C due to the wind chill, at the moment it is below zero. We'll give it another half hour before we venture out!
07:05. Back home after a cold damp walk but the rain bated and I was well wrapped up so no problems. It's cold though and the outlook is for this to continue....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I'm puzzled. Back in December we were shown daffodils in London in full bloom.Xmas Daffs.

I looked at the time but saw none locally, and that's only about 40 miles away. I worried for the success of the Thriplow Daffodil Festival which now attracts thousands, and raises a lot for charity. I note this week that the local daffodils are now in full bloom, and at their usual time. The Festival is next weekend and looks safe.

Is it possible that there is a very early variety, I can't see that it's the Guardian hoaxing us. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The different varieties do vary David. There is a planting in full blossom on the green in front of Forester's Buildings in the town but the wild ones are always late. When I was tramping all over the country I realised that we were one of the last places in Britain where things like Crocus, Snowdrops and Daffodils bloomed. As I say every year, Grass Day is the second week in June!
At 21:00 last night it was dry with a cold wind and broken cloud. Very similar this morning. The glass is trying to rise, up at 29" this morning, a hopeful sign but could mean colder! The forecast is for a warmer day, a theoretical high of 10C! The light and variable breeze is all over the place at the moment but settles down to a light westerly until late tonight when it will swing into the NW. We are promised a bright overcast day so it should be a bit more cheerful.
We were back in again at 06:45 after a cool misty walk under a clear sky. The sun is burning its way through the mist and it won't be long before we have a very acceptable day. Bit of an improvement on the last few days!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

You are lost in a sea of mist just now. It's glorious up here.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That was around when I was walking back up from the butcher's Wendy and yes, it was quite thick. Dry at 21:00 last night but cold wet rain this morning. The glass is dropping and is on 28.5". The forecast is for a slightly cooler, mainly dry day. The light west wind will be variable and never strong all day finishing up late tonight in the SE. It should be a dry morning after 06:00 and perhaps a chance of a shower later this afternoon. Nothing exciting, April showers! It is very light rain at the moment, I think we'll leave our walk until six o'clock!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

It's been a pleasant day, I've even been working in the garden without a hat and coat. It started snowing at about 6.30pm and we have about an inch of settled snow already. :smile:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

No sign of snow down here Wendy. At 21:00 last night it was dry with northerly wind. This morning we have a sharp frost but dry. The glass was on 28.5" last night and is rising, above 28.6" at the moment. The forecast is for a dry bright day, no frost mentioned but we definitely have one at the moment. Theoretical high of 10C. The light but steady east wind will gradually increase during the day. Could be misty early on.
06:50. Back in the hutch after a misty, cold walk in what is definitely at least -3C. The forecast got it badly wrong this morning. I suspect the sun will be trying to burn the heavy mist off and in a couple of hours everything will look completely different.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The sun eventually burned the mist off but it was a slow process. At 21:00 last night it was dry with a light east wind. Broken cloud with good clear patches. First thing this morning it was the same and is still the same but with a complete overcast. The glass is up again on 28.8". the forecast is for a warmer day (13C) with a constant moderate east wind. Chance of a light shower now and again late tonight but otherwise fair with bright overcast. Some sun this afternoon. Still classic April weather.....
06:55. Back after a dry walk on a calm morning. Despite the warning in the forecast, not a sign of rain. We are quietly getting through April with no big surprises. However, no doubt bearing in mind yesterday's surprise frost, the roads have been gritted.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

If it hadn't been for that pesky east wind it would have been almost balmy in Barlick mid-morning yesterday. At 21:00 last night it was dry with a moderate east wind. This morning it had just started raining at 03:00. It has settled down to steady rain at the moment coming straight down as it is calm. The glass is dropping and is almost back to 28.5". The forecast is for a colder (8C) and much wetter day. There is a high chance of rain almost all day until 17:00. The light east wind will swing into the west mid-morning and become very light so slow moving clouds and prolonged rain. It's going to be a wet day!
Back in at 06:10. I think that only the poor people are about this early in the morning! Very light wind and patchy light rain, not what you would call a wet walk. Not too cold, it could be much worse.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

After a wet day yesterday, by 21:00 the cloud was high and scattered, it was dry and the crescent moon was peeping through the clouds. It was the same this morning and by 06:00 quite a heavy mist developed but it was short lived. We had a pleasant walk with the sun breaking through and a very light wind. The glass is steady on 28.6". The forecast is for a generally dry day with the chance of a shower in mid afternoon perhaps. The wind is very light and westerly at the moment, it will stay light but swing all round the compass during the day. The theoretical high is 10C, a bit warmer than yesterday. Not a bad mid-April day. The next full moon is on the 22nd. I wonder whether, as so often happens, it could signal a change? One hopeful sign is that the council have been grass cutting!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

Not sure you can read too much into council grass cutting.

The grass cutting gang start cutting in Brierfield at the south of the borough and work northwards, taking about a fortnight. Then they go back to where they started. So, it's around two weeks since mowing began in Pendle.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It looks hopeful though David! Not a bad day yesterday and at 21:00 last night it was dry, mild and almost calm. Same this morning and the glass is down very slightly at just below 28.5". The forecast is good, a dry bright mild day, high of 11C with a light mainly est breeze which will strengthen slightly as the day goes on. Dennis and Sparky should enjoy it..... More of this please! [But I'd like to see that wind shift, I don't like it in the east at this time of year. It can get to be a very cold wind and hold the grass back!]
Back home at 06:35. A quiet walk, almost dead calm, mild and I've seen much worse at this time of year.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

London, has had the April showers of assorted intensity, council on 2nd grass cut of the year - the daisies came up immeditatley afterwards ( dandelions already on 2nd bloom ), Leaves on most trees seemed to appear between monday and today from nowhere. In the shade with light breeze its still a bit chill, in the sun its jackets off, but T-shirts still neeed. Thankfully it should still be a bit cooler in Burnley as my grass cutting plan this this weekend assuming the daffs plot has died back.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It wasn't as sunny as expected yesterday, the overcast was very persistent. At 21:00 last night it was dry but cold in a light east wind, feels the same at the moment out there. The glass is down like a stone during the night, my bum barometer says 27.9".... The forecast is for a dry overcast day until late morning with a light East wind. Then the wind moves into NW/NE for the rest of the day as cold showers come down from the north. It will be colder than yesterday and we could get a frost tonight. Ten degrees colder than the South.....
We were back from the butcher's at 07:00 after a pleasant walk but still nippy. It wouldn't surprise me to see a flurry of snow.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We didn't get snow but it was a cold nasty day. Still hard cold rain at 21:00 last night. My bum barometer says that the pressure has fallen even lower to 27.6", I am seriously considering ignoring it and getting a digital barometer (I have checked with the Black Lane Ends site and the pressure is actually 29.2! I have corrected it once more and will see how it performs....). If anyone has any advice on this I'd be grateful! The forecast is for a colder dry day with a moderate wind out of the north quarter all day until late tonight when it will swing back into the west. The high is said to be 7C but it will feel like below freezing until mid morning. Not Spring!
06:10. Back in the hutch after a bracing walk. Not a frost but very close! A good walking day Ian! And Sparky and Dennis will enjoy the day. While I was out, my bum barometer signed its death warrant. It was back down right to the bottom of the dial..... Appropriate measures will be taken!
Later at 07:00. Snow is falling in many parts of the country to the south of us. We appear to be having a bit of luck for once!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Why not invest in a small weather station of your own Stanley? You would find it fascinating.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I might even do that Wendy, I shall have to do something after this morning's burst of activity.....

I stripped the offending instrument down and found that the incredibly flimsy and badly made mechanism had given up the ghost so I scrapped the barometer. I simply cut the neck off because it has a functioning thermometer.
So I will have to do something about it.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Could you not have converted it into a banjo? :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

The thought of that shows there is a reason for not living in Barlick! :smile:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I have no respect for bad machinery or banjos.....
The sky was still light enough to hide the stars in an almost clear sky at 21:00 last night, a gentle west wind. Clear as a bell this morning, lots of stars and a frost. Got pressure off the web, 29.4"so up slightly. The forecast is for a slightly warmer day with a high of 8C, bright spells this morning, clouding over perhaps this afternoon. Constant west wind, almost calm at the moment but slowly increasing to moderate later and a chance of a light shower later in the evening. Another good walking/grazing day.
06:20. Back after a bracing walk on a clear, calm, frosty morning. The jackdaws are busy nest building in the ventilator on the old Pigeon Club. The sort of morning when the 18C heat of the house hits you like a wall when you come indoors. Things could be worse.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Dry with a light west wind at 21:00 last night. Same this morning with light overcast. The pressure is 30" so up slightly on yesterday. The forecast is for a showery day with a constant moderate west wind. High of 8C. Not a lot of sun but very little rain as well. Neutral weather.....
We had a bracing walk, not as cold as yesterday but a stiff breeze. No rain as yet but the clouds look as though they could drop a shower at any time. Things could be worse!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

At 21:00 last night it was still light, clear, dry and a moderate west wind. This morning it is clear and almost a frost. The pressure is steady on 30" (I'm getting pressure off the web at the moment until I make other arrangements) The forecast is for a dry bright day with a high of 11C. The very light west wind will persist until early evening when it will move into the north and later settle in the east. Looks like another good walking day!
06:30. A pleasant walk on a calm, dry, clear morning. It looks as though it could be a good day.

Call me a silly old bugger but I have supported local trade and bought a new barometer at Huppach's. It's calibrated in Mbar (hPa) so I shall have to get used to it.Support local trades people!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm quite pleased with the new addition! It is very sensitive and free moving. By my reckoning it is reading slightly low but is 4mb higher than the Black Lane ends reading which is slightly less than it should be with the 500ft difference in altitude. I shall not to any adjustment until I have a reliable reading for Barlick.
Clear sky and dry at 21:00 last night with a brilliant and almost full moon, the same this morning. Pressure is up slightly at 1020. The forecast is dead simple, a perfect late April day, full sun most of the day, a very light and mainly easterly breeze and a high of 14C. Best day we have had this year. The only fly in the ointment is the fact that the wind is in the east but it won't cool us down much today. The moon is almost full, yet again we get a change in the weather with the full moon.
06:25. Lovely walk, one skin less than usual. Dry, clear and calm with a touch of mist in the East holding back the sunshine a bit but it will soon be with us. This and better will do! (But will that East wind please behave itself!)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Gisburn Road Primary School has a weather station reporting to the same website as ours. HERE
Its quite interesting to compare the two, just now we are a few degrees warmer than down there and our pressure reading is a bit lower. If you want to change the setting on the website to read millibars click on the cog wheel top right and change to C instead of F
I have two old barometers in the house, both steady on 29.6 this morning.

Return to “Seasons”