Spring 2016

Marilyn
VIP Member

Re: Spring 2016

Post by Marilyn »

Good Grief indeed. Not exactly 45C for 10 days running is it?
We don't think it is T-shirt weather until it is 25 C +.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

We are a lot hardier over her Maz and warm weather is relative to where you live. I have been stripping down to T shirt only when out walking for well over a month now.
Ian
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Aye...likely...but if you are talking about being hardy, I am a woman who only needs the home heated about three days a year...and cooled with air conditioning about the same number of days too.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I'm well aware that women are the stronger sex Maz regardless of temperature, but 25 degrees is heatwave to most folk over here. You can't win anyway with our variable weather, some complain when it's cold, complain when its wet and when a spell of good weather comes it will be too hot no doubt! It's 15C here today with the bit of breeze we have, definitely T shirt weather for our walk this afternoon.
Ian
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Be careful that your roads don't melt under all that heat... :grin:
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It's all relative..... It was mild and calm at 21:00 last night and broad daylight, we had a light shower but had no thunder, minimum temperature 10C. This morning it's clear, calm and mild. The glass was falling slowly all day yesterday and this morning is on 1003.5mb. The forecast is for a bright sunny day with a high of 22C. A light to moderate E or SE wind all day, no rain in sight. The outlook is good but cooling slightly by mid week when we might have some rain.
06:30. We've had our walk on a calm, mild morning. Red letter day because I went in shirt sleeves, admitted I had a padded waistcoat on, but nice to not need a coat. We have overcast out to the west and clear sky t the east so the low sun is coming in under the cloud. What wind there is is from the SE or E and it will slowly move the overcast away. I can believe that it's going to be warm. Butts Beck is down to a trickle over the cill, a night-time shower would be good for the grass and the gardens.....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Mild and calm again last night. Clear, mild and calm this morning we have full sun already. The glass is up very slightly at 1006mb. The national forecast gives a lot of rain in the S and SW and it will perhaps move up the country eventually but for today, our forecast is very simple. The temperature at the moment is plus11C and will rise to 20C under clear skies all day with full sun. The wind is virtually absent at the moment but we will have a moderate East wind all day which will bring the perceived high down a bit. No rain forecast so a good day for drying the washing!
06:30. Perfect walk.... Shirt sleeves and waistcoat, calm, clear, full sun and about 12C. Birds singing their hearts out. Just one thing intrigues me. Valley Gardens is well supplied with bins for waste and dog crap. Recently a new waste bin was installed near the Butts footbridge but soon vanished, from the look of the flimsy foundation, some idiot had ripped it out. A couple of days ago a new bin appeared on a better foundation which is good. My only question is will it be a challenge to the moron who ripped the first one out? (What is happening, if anything, in there tiny stunted brains....?)
11:00. We've had our second walk. Perfect summers day.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The heat wave is coming to an end nationally but we seem to be bucking the trend. Clear and mild at 21:00 last night and this morning it's still mild but as far as I can see, perhaps a high overcast. Night temperature has been close to 12C and the glass is down slightly on 1006mb. The forecast is for a cooler (17C) overcast day with the chance of a shower in the late afternoon and evening. The wind is still a moderate Easterly and the main change is that the humidity is up, we shall get to 90% later in the day. Still growy weather and we are escaping the worst of the rain but there is a slow change in progress.

06:20. Back home. It's overcast but still a pleasant morning. Jack had a good run with a big cross bred bitch in Valley Gardens and just for once was gaffered! Good for him. A good start to the day.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Much cooler today - it was so hot yesterday ( sat in the caravan & hubby went to lay on the bed - we are not used to it.
Say only a little but say it well.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It's a big shock after the winter isn't it Moh. It takes me a while to get acclimatised as well.
We had a couple of very light showers yesterday but nothing to do any good. Mild (12C), close and dry at 21:00. Mild and overcast this morning. The glass is down a touch at just over 1002mb. The forecast is for a cooler day (16C), overcast and the chance of a shower around noon. The wind is steady, moderate and ENE all day. Watch out for a light frost on Friday.....
06:30. Back from a pleasant dry walk in shirt sleeves. This and better will do!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Light east wind, overcast and occasional spots of rain at 21:00 lSt night. This morning is clear with some high wispy cloud, sunny and dry, bit of a nip in the air but a pleasant morning. We have had our walk and this and better will do. The glass is rock steady on 1002mb. The forecast is for a clear, dry sunny day with a high of 18C. There will be a steady, moderate E/ENE breeze all day. Could be a chance of a grass frost tonight.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nicer day than the forecast suggested yesterday, quite balmy and Spring-like later in the morning. Clear sky with a light ENE wind and a half moon last night at 21:00. Slightly cooler outside this morning but high overcast and the glass is up slightly at 1006mb. The forecast is for a bright day until dinnertime with a high of 12C, then the cloud will come in and there's a chance of a light shower this afternoon. The wind will be moderate NE all day and during the afternoon the temperature will start to fall and there's an outside chance of a light frost tonight. Cooler but still a good forecast....
We were back in the hutch at 06:45 after our trip to the butcher's. Clearing sky and the sun started to break through as per the forecast. That wind is a bit chilly and I was glad I had my Hogg coat on. As I write this at 08:00 we have full sun. Things could be worse!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It was a pleasant dry day yesterday. At 21:00 the sky was cloudy and there was a NE wind cooling things down. This morning it was calm, clear and cold, there is some scattered cloud building now. It wouldn't surprise me if there was a light grass frost. The glass is up a bit at 1015mb. The forecast is for a bright day until late morning and then a light overcast. The wind is minimal at the moment and from the NW, it will build a bit during the day but never be more than light. No rain expected and a high of 11C. At the moment I'd guess at about 2C, the heating kicked in this morning for half an hour! There are reports from Scotland of temperatures as low as -5C in the highland glens.
06:35. Back home after a pleasant dry walk on a calm morning with scattered cloud but sun coming through. No sign of my grass frost down here but if that wind had been stronger it would have been cold, definitely a nip in the air. The CH kicked in again just as I was going out but I suspect the gas fitter has left it slightly higher than I had it.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Cool yesterday but plenty of sun.

Kaffeeklatsch with Susan and passing friends in Town Square was lovely! Clear sky at 21:00 last night, a North wind, cool and broad daylight. Clear sky first thing this morning. Same now, cool and almost calm. The glass is up a bit at 1017mb. The forecast is for bright overcast all morning with a high of 11C. The wind is very light and swinging about all over the place, it could be SE by the end of the day. From early afternoon onwards there is a slim chance of a light shower but no serious rain. The weather isn't sure what it is doing at the moment, the outlook for the next five days is much the same but perhaps slightly warmer and more chance of rain.
06:40. Back home. Cool morning, very light wind and scattered cloud coming in from the west at the moment. There is heavier could out in the East and that's blocking the sun at the moment. A pleasant walk and a good morning. No complaints!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The sun eventually won yesterday and it was a good dry day. Dry, cool and almost clear at 21:00 last night. Clear sky first thing this morning with a heavy dew, still clear now, almost calm and warmer than it has been. The glass is up a touch at 1016mb. The forecast is for a warmer (12C) day with plenty of sun and no rain in sight. The wind is light to moderate westerly all day and tomorrow is forecast to be even warmer. This is good weather and the gardens are loving it! All we need is some warm rain.....
06:20. We've had a lovely walk on a beautiful morning. Calm, dry with a heavy dew and the sky is clear as a bell with full sun coming in already from the East. Difficult to see how things could be any better.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Clear sky at 21:00 last night with some light wispy high altitude cloud on a very light NW wind. Broken cloud but clearing fast this morning on a light NW wind. Glass is down slightly on 1012mb. The forecast is for a bright overcast day, slightly warmer at 16C. No rain in sight and the very light NW air flow will soon get into the SW and it will feel mild. I keep my eye on the Gisburn Road readings and in light airs like this it's noticeable that my wind direction from observation of the cloud movement is more accurate than theirs and more in accord with the Met Office. Must be a product of local conditions where they have their sensor. The same applies to their temperature readings, always a bit on the high side. Another good morning.....
06:50. We've had a nice leisurely walk on a beautiful morning. Jack and I have met friends and stood chatting on corners... Lovely morning and improved by Jack meeting his friend the 3 legged old Border Collie bitch in Valley Gardens who I'm afraid has designs on Jack! This and better will do. (Just imagine being in polluted London and setting off for the morning commute.... We are so lucky!)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

It is still col, heavy rain forecast for the NW tomorrow.
Say only a little but say it well.
Julie in Norfolk
Regular User

Post by Julie in Norfolk »

The forecast today for tomorrow said: "showers at first, when they have cleared up there will be thunder storms" There's optimistic for you!
Measure with a micrometer, mark with a pencil, cut with an axe.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Cooler here Moh as well but we could do with some rain. There was heavy broken cloud last night at 21:00 coming in on a light SW wind and there has been a significant shower during the night but the flags are dry now. We have the same heavy broken cloud now from what I can see in the dark. The glass fell sharply yesterday evening, it's on 997mb. The forecast is for the moderate SW wind to bring us rain this morning, heavy until 08:00 and then decreasing as the wind shifts into the west this afternoon when the showers will cease. Cooler at 13C and the outlook is for more rain, classic Atlantic Low weather. The ground is very dry, the rain will do good.
04:30. Just been out in the yard and we have significant rain.....
06:20. We were lucky and dodged the showers, Jack has come home with a dry coat. The glass is still falling fast and I can believe we have more rain to come. The beck at Butts had got down to a trickle over the cill and the ground was cracked. There is a little more water in the beck this morning and the cracks are healing. This is just the right sort of rain, too heavy and it runs off. Despite the cool wind the grass will soon respond.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Clear sky last night with an almost full moon, (May 21st). Overcast and misty this morning first thing, calm dry and overcast at the moment. The glass stopped falling as the wind changed yesterday and is up slightly this morning on 1004mb. The forecast is for a warmer (15C) overcast day with a light to moderate SW wind. Rain is forecast from 16:00 and during the early evening, clearing later. Good growing conditions....
06:30. Back in after a pleasant padded waistcoat and shirt sleeve walk. High overcast so no sun but mild and almost calm. What breeze there is is from the SW as per the forecast. A nice morning, could be a lot worse. The longer we escape that East wind the better!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Spotting with rain at 21:00 last night. Sky mostly clear this morning first thing, flags are dry but I think there has been a light shower in the night, mild and almost calm. Same now with a bit of broken cloud. The glass is steady on just above 1003mb. The forecast is for a mild (14C) overcast day with a chance of a light shower in the early evening. The wind is steady, moderate and from the SW mainly. Another quiet growy day!
We were back home at 06:45, padded waistcoat and shirt sleeves walk which is nice. So much easier than when you are clobbered up against the weather. Moderate breeze but mild and clear patches blowing over from the SW but no sun as yet. It looks as though the forecast for overcast could be right.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We were still getting light rain at 21:00 last night and it has persisted through the night and into this morning. The best sort of rain, not too heavy and warm, the gardens are loving it! The glass is down slightly at just over 998mb. The forecast is for a slightly warmer day (15C) with a constant moderate SW breeze. This wind will bring in showers all day. No sweat, this is good growy weather.
06:35. First wet walk for a while but Jack has been rubbed down and is feeling no pain. We must have had a fair amount of rain, Butts Beck is running far stronger over the cill of the dam. The ground isn't wet, at the moment it's absorbing the rain as fast as it falls. Just right!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Lovely warm, light rain at 21:00 last night. Flags dry this morning, mostly clear sky and a brilliant full moon. very humid this morning. The glass is steady on just over 998mb. The forecast is good, a slightly warmer (14C) bright day with scattered cloud and a chance of light showers in the early afternoon. The wind is a very light SW breeze at the moment, it will rise slightly during the day and end up by abating tonight by which time it will be westerly. This is another good growy Spring day. Lovely!
06:10. A pleasant shirt sleeve and padded waistcoat walk. Over cast at the moment but signs it will break up. My rain gauge in Butts tells me that there was no weight in the gentle rain and that most of it has been absorbed by the ground. Noticeable that the ground on the Green that was cracked is now uniformly damp but still dry to walk on. This rain is just right!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Clear dry and cool at 21:00 last night. Brilliant low full moon. Same this morning first thing and at the moment we have a heavy mist but I have an idea that this will soon burn off. The glass rose yesterday and during the night, it is on 1010mb this morning. The forecast is for cool early mist (5C) but then a bright mild day (15C). At the moment the wind is SW but virtually calm. It will never get stronger than a very light breeze and will swing right round the compass during the day ending up late tonight very light ENE. There is a chance of a shower after 16:00 and during the evening but these will die out before the day ends.
06:40. Lovely walk on a cool misty morning but you can see the sun through the mist, we will be a sea of white to Wendy this morning as she basks in early sunshine. Jack met his mate the one legged border collie bitch and they had a good play together. Lovely!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Calm and clear with a brilliant moon at 21:00 last night. Same first thing this morning and now, lovely low moon and a heavy dew. The glass has risen to almost 1019mb. The forecast is for a cool (14C) but very sunny day with no rain in sight. The gentle east wind will slowly gain strength during the day but will only be light later tonight. Usually I look at wind chill but today will be very warm if you are sat somewhere sheltered from the wind!
05:50 Back home after a lovely walk! Full sun coming in under a crystal clear sky, cool enough to trigger the CH for a brief burst but otherwise this and better will do.
What attracted my attention? Al fresco dining, Barlick style has been going on in the Pioneer car park. Sit in the car, eat fast food and then throw all the packaging and waste out of the windows and drive off. Down in Valley Gardens, the new waste bin which has been concreted in twice has been uprooted yet again and kicked towards the beck. Great Sport!! What, if anything, is going on in the tiny minds of these morons....?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Seasons”