Spring 2016

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Spring 2016

Post by Stanley »

Thanks for that Wendy, I have adjusted the new barometer. Incredibly sensitive but I managed in the end. That accords with what I worked out yesterday allowing for the 500 ft difference between Black Lane Ends and Barlick. 1mb for each 50 ft so we should read 10mb more. (Just checked BLE and the difference is exactly right) Your reading should be 29.9" this morning.
Clear as a bell yesterday all day and full sun. Same this morning early on, I've just looked and we have some very wispy cloud. Glass is 1023mb. The forecast is good again, slight overcast but plenty of sun and a high of 14C. The very light east wind will gradually strengthen during the day. Another good day and better than was expected yesterday.
06:20. Lovely walk on a crisp clear morning. Very slight grass frost. Good scent conditions for Jack! This and better..... Full moon tonight.....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Mine is reading 29.9 too.
Say only a little but say it well.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm very pleased about the performance of the new barometer, very sensitive and seems to be remarkably accurate. Moh, we're reading off the same hymn sheet now! Lovely day yesterday again and broad daylight with high wispy cloud at 21:00 with a full moon. Still the same this morning. Glass is very steady, some minute variations yesterday but 1021 this morning, exactly the same as the Barlick station. The forecast is for a bright dry day but cooler under the influence of a constant moderate ENE wind which is bringing Arctic air down to us. The outlook is for more of this. This pattern is what I always fear at this time of the year and can persist for a long time holding back growth....

Sorry about the camera shake, available light and I am getting older! This is the moon at 05:15 this morning.....

Back home from the butcher's at 06:45. Not quite as cold first thing as yesterday morning but that NE wind will make sure we don't hit the almost tropical 14C we had yesterday. Good morning for a walk and some fresh air. I complain about the East wind but this isn't too bad at all.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

On 26th April 1950 south-east England had about 6 inches of snow which probably started to thaw but then froze again judging from its effects. Most trees lost branches due to the weight and the presence of leaves at that time of year. Power lines and phone lines came down for the same reason. The fruit trees lost all their blossom.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Tiz, the Met Office are forecasting a very severe frost tonight.....
Heavy but broken cloud on the east wind at 21:00 last night. Clear sky with a brilliant moon this morning and a frost. Glass is very steady, minor variations but 1018 this morning. Forecast is for a bright dry day with a constant and increasing to moderate NW wind. Colder than yesterday with a high of 8C out of the wind, a lot colder with wind chill. Another good walking day!
06:35. Back home after a pleasant walk on a sunny frosty morning. No complaints whatsoever!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Another pleasant day yesterday but at 21:00 last night light rain was falling. This morning the sky was clear and traces of overnight light rain could be seen on the ground but it was almost calm and freezing, there was ice on the roofs of cars. The glass has fallen back very slightly and is a shade over 1016mb. (30")
The forecast is for a dry, bright but overcast day with a light W/NW wind and a theoretical high of 8C. The frost is not forecast to be as hard as was feared yesterday but in other parts of the country where rain is a possibility, snow is forecast. We are not free of Winter yet, but having said that, not a bad day for a walk. It could be much worse....
06:40. Back home after a pleasant leisurely walk. The main thing that struck me was that the ice I had noted on the roof of the car at 4AM had melted, we no longer had any frost. It's cold but very acceptable.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

At 21:00 last night it had just started raining lightly. Evidence of this first thing this morning but must have been light because the flags were dry at 03:30. Still dry now under a broken overcast on a light north west wind. The glass was tending to fall slowly all day yesterday and this morning is on 1006mb (29.7"), dead in line with Gisburn Road reading (I'm very pleased with the new barometer so far.... Very sensitive and accurate) The forecast is for a mainly dry day, overcast but some sunny spells, there could be scattered light showers in the middle of the day. The main feature of the day is that under the constant moderate N/NW wind it will get colder. The theoretical high is 8C but the wind chill will be lower and by this evening will be sub-zero. We are not out of the heating season yet!
06:40. Back indoors after a cold but dry walk. Some blue sky but interspersed by heavy broken cloud. I've been looking at the surface pressure charts for the week and a small low that started developing to the West of Greenland is tracking down towards the North sea and deepening. Over the next few days it is going to bring down Arctic air and we shall feel the effects. Not the apocalypse the Daily Express is forecasting but a nasty little spell of cold weather that is going to remind us that winter is still upon us!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Clearing sky with a NW wind and dry at 21:00 last night. Mainly clear sky this morning first thing but it has clouded over now with a very light NW wind. The glass is down again on 1003mb (29.6"). The forecast is for a bright overcast day with a constant moderate NW wind with a slim chance of a light shower in the middle of the day. The theoretical high is 7C but it will never feel better than 2C with the wind chill and at the moment feels like -3C. It's a quiet late winter day, I get the feeling we are lucky it isn't worse.
06:30. They were right about the wind chill! Bitter cold and a real Crombie morning. But clear, dry and a good day for a walk. The sky is clearing and the sun is shining at the moment. Could be a lot worse!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

Not sure that it improved during the day...
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I noted the light snow shower at about 15:00.... It was bitter cold all day in that wind. Clear sky, still light and a NW wind at 21:00 last night. Cold night, clear and dry this morning with a light NW wind. The glass is up slightly at 1007mb. Forecast is for a slightly colder day, high down to 6C. Light NW wind all day, -2C with wind chill at the moment. Almost certainly light snow showers in the early afternoon. It's a late blast of winter and looks set in for a few days.
06:35. Back from a cold walk on an almost calm morning with good sun from an almost clear sky and a white frost. Listening to the national forecast, in terms oif what's falling out of the sky, we appear to be very lucky, for once the east is the side that's getting the precipitation. Wintry!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It got dark and we had cold showers in the afternoon but as far as I can see it was never snow, just the odd flake. Very cold and a clear sky at 21:00 last night and almost the same this morning, calm with a sharp frost. The glass is steady on 1007mb. The forecast is for a colder day, theoretical high of 5C but it will never feel better than freezing in the wind chill. This is surprising because the wind is in the process of shifting into the SW. It will stay there all day and gradually strengthen. Chance of a snow shower around 9AM and then a wet/snowy afternoon from noon onwards until well into the evening. A good day for being indoors I think!
06:30. Back home after a nice walk in a sharp frost under almost clear skies. The light wind was in the NW when we went out but is slightly increased and in the west now. Brilliant scenting conditions for Jack, no tern was left unstoned....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday morning was good drying weather, got all my bedding washed and dried.... (And bed remade by Susan and Yiota.... ) The afternoon was nasty cold and wet and by evening light snow was sticking in clumps in the front garden. At 21:00 last night it was cold and clearing but with a cold wind. Light snow falling for a while. The glass has fallen with a bang down to just over 996mb. (29.4") and at the moment we have broken cloud, a light SW wind and the overnight rain has frozen on the cars in the back street. The forecast is for wintry showers this morning on a moderate SW wind but then after backing into the NW the wind slackens and settles down to a westerly by late this evening. There could be some snow this morning. The theoretical high is 6C but with the wind chill will be well below zero for most of the morning. The outlook is for it to warm slightly but we have a lot of rain coming in. It's unseasonably cold for the time of the year, winter is having one last stab at us? Wrap up well!
05:15. Light covering of snow on roofs and gardens.....
06:45. We were lucky with our walk this morning. Dry and sun coming in from the East under the broken cloud with big clear patches. An hour latyer and it's snowing but not sticking. A cold walk but very welcome, better than the rain!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Blizzard conditions with high winds making the outside world very unpleasant! There is at least an inch on the ground. The ponies have been living out for the last couple of weeks but were very happy to be brought inside last night! it doesn't look like they will be going back out this morning for a while. :sad:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'll bet you had a good clap later.... We had heavy fall but it didn't last or stick. The main thing of note was the way the glass dropped during the day, it sank to below 995mb in the afternoon. At 21:00 last night it was clear and cold. First thing this morning the same but calm and no frost, since then a light overcast has moved in. The glass is back up to 1011mb this morning. The forecast is for a mixed but mainly bright day with the chance of an early shower but warmer. The light west wind will be steady all day and the theoretical high is 8C. The outlook is for it to get warmer as we enter May. We could be over the worst!
Really pleased with the new barometer, I think I chose well....

It's online at £63 but I bought it off young Fred for £50. Who says local shopping is dearer?

06:25. Back in after a nice walk on what has turned out to be a frosty morning. The sun is shining and the sky largely clear. Perhaps we might escape the early shower. Noticeable that the glass is still rising quite quickly.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

As a cross check Stanley, my aneroid is reading exactly the same.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good....
We've just had our second walk and I don't know about it being warmer, we were caught in a heavy ice shower.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nice afternoon, calm dry and cold at 21:00, same this morning but slightly more wind and overcast. Glass rose all day yesterday and is up at 1019mb this morning. Forecast is for a slightly warmer (9C) day with a constant moderate SW wind all day. Chance of scattered showers after 11:00 this morning. A quiet but significant improvement on the first day of May.
06:50. Back home after a slightly later walk due to oversleeping after the snooker. Solid overcast and the SW wind hasn't got up yet so a pleasant dry walk. This and better will do. I have an idea that the season has turned and we can look forward to a steady improvement. You can put the snow shovels away in the shed!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

At 21:00 last night it was breezy but dry and not cold. Enough light to read the election flyer outside as I waited for Jack to have his evening pee. The glass rose steadily all day yesterday but then started falling, it's back to 1010mb this morning. It's much warmer but the wind is very uneasy, it's swing about all over the place. The forecast is for a warmer day (11C) with a showery start but bright and dry after dinner. The moderate wind will settle in the SW during the morning but end up in the west later.
06:15. Back home after what could be the warmest walk this year. 10C at least and the brisk SW wind was not cold. The cloud is broken and moving fast and I can well believe that some showers will come in on it but none so far, we had a dry walk. Encouraging and it will do wonders for soil temperature.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Pleasure to go out at 21:00 last night in broad daylight, dry with broken cloud and a mild west wind. The glass is up slightly at 1015mb. I have been checking the new barometer against the digital weather station at Gisburn Road school every morning and it is always exactly the same but .5mb less, this is how it should be, the school is downhill from here. The forecast is good, a bright sunny day with a high of 10C and a constant moderate west wind all day. No rain expected and the outlook is for it to get much warmer. Hard to credit that a couple of days ago we had snow.... Lovely prospect, with luck we have seen the last of winter!

06:25. A very pleasant walk, still Crombie weather, it isn't summer yet! One thing I become convinced of is that the local topography, mostly the high ground to the west, means that when we have a constant West wind like this morning it gets diverted a touch and can often arrive down in the town as a North Westerly. That's the case this morning. But it's a nice morning, the glass is rising and the prospects are good. This and better will do!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nice day yesterday, almost growy with an occasional very light shower. At 21:00 last night it was light and very pleasant outside with a fresh westerly breeze. This morning it is similar but with very high cloud in a ripple pattern, the wind is light but tending to a southerly. The glass has risen to 1020mb. The forecast is good. A high of 13C, no rain forecast and a light to moderate wind all day that will vary between S and W. Looks like a good day for soil temperature and the outlook is for it to get warmer over the next few days. It looks more and more like a definite change of the season. Dennis and Sparky will be pleased......
06:35. Back home after a nice walk on a glorious morning. High cloud in an almost clear sky, full sun from the East and while it isn't warm, it's not unpleasantly cold. Still a Crombie morning!
09:30. I've knocked off early after rehanging the bathroom door after shortening it so it clears the new carpet. Lovely day out there with full sun so we'll have a good second walk instead of going into the shed and doing too much.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

You have to admit that mbars are a much clearer unit than inches of mercury...... ;)
Pluggy's Home Monitor : http://pluggy.duckdns.org
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I don't know about clearer, they are exactly the same thing but Metric.....
Another good day yesterday, glass falling slightly. At 21:00 the sky was clear and it was dry and mild. This morning is the same. The glass is just below 1016mb. The forecast is for a slightly warmer dry day (17C) with good sun and a light SW wind all day until late evening when it backs to NW. Another soil warming day.....
06:45. I went for a walk later thinking of voting on my way back but I got it wrong. Lovely morning, two things struck me. The Town Square clock is almost accurate again and there are signs on the main roads directing traffic to 'Southbeck'. What's that all about? (I Googled it, it's the housing development at Salterforth.)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Lovely day yesterday and still daylight at 21:00 but more overcast. I've been to the butcher's and it is the same this morning, mild, calm, overcast but a nice morning. I got my Hogg summer coat out and wore that with no fleece underneath and was OK so I have put the Crombie back in the wardrobe until next year! This is a leap of faith, still time for a cold snap but I'm declaring winter over. The glass has fallen to 1009mb since yesterday. The forecast is for a dry, bright, overcast day with very little chance of a shower. The high will be 16C with only a slight wind chill from the steady, light, Easterly breeze. (Actually I thought it was more SE when I was out but I won't argue with the forecast.) It's a very pleasant morning and once more it will be raising the soil temperature. What we need now are some warm showers but the outlook is for it to get warmer and stay dry.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Light East wind, mild and high overcast at 21:00 last night. Clear sky this morning and the same light east wind, mild. The glass is down and is a shade over 1004mb. The forecast is for another good day, a constant light to moderate East wind with a high of 17C and lots of sunny intervals. There is a chance of a shower very late tonight and anything that we get could be heavy,thundery and welcome. The outlook is for it to get warmer and stay mainly dry for the next few days.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

It was a nice sunny day yesterday. I chanced going without my fleece, and didn't have any heating on in the evening. Signs are good that it may be the same today. I heard on the news this morning that it's a "mini heatwave", and there were warnings on the radio (LBC), about the dangers of fires caused by discarded cigarettes and barbecues - just look what's happening in Canada at the moment. No doubt later today there will be warnings about dangerous UV levels, and smog.

Good grief. . . :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday

Return to “Seasons”