Summer 2016

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Summer 2016

Post by PanBiker »

We have reached Solstice, welcome to Summer 2016. :sunny3:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Summer 2016

Post by Stanley »

The forecast was correct, yesterday afternoon was bright and sunny. Sun still shining at 22:00 last night, clear sky, dry and a light WNW wind. Dry, mild and an almost clear sky this morning. The glass has risen to 1008mb. The forecast is for a bright day with a high of 17C. The wind is a light to moderate SW breeze all day. A good forecast and it won't be long before some good farmers are looking at a second cut of silage.... Only downer for me is that the days will now get shorter and shorter..... I know! I look too far ahead.
Almost 07:00 and we are just back. Seen all of Jack's mates and a couple of mine as well. A dry walk on a mild morning. The overcast is shutting the sun out at the moment but it will improve.... The first day of summer could be worse!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Clear and dry with a west wind at 21:00 last night. Same this morning and we've had a pleasant walk, bit more wind but mild and dry. Enough cloud to block the sun at the moment. The glass is up a touch at 1010mb. The forecast is for a bright overcast day, dry, high of 18C and a moderate southerly wind which will ease slightly during the day and end up in the west this evening. A pleasant day but no high summer yet!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

there might be a problem with the verdant fields being just a little too lush this year, one doesn't want silage etc too soggy. On the other hand the grasses and most garden plants have slighly more flowering and seeding coming along compared to what I remember , possibly a sign of a colder winter than we have been hit with recently?
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The overcast resisted the sun for most of yesterday, clearer in the evening at 21:00 than all day. There's a light overcast this morning, the moon was full three days ago and is visible this morning with a halo. The glass is steady, a very slight rise but hardly worth noting, 1011mb. The forecast is for a bright day, high of 19C with very light variable breeze until noon when it starts to settle and strengthen slightly from the west. No rain, no thunder, a good day for the polls!
Later. Reports of lightning storms and heavy rain yesterday in the SE and more forecast for today. We are getting the best of the weather!
06:50. Back after a leisurely walk and we met all our old mates this morning. The 3 legged cur bitch who was a bit out of it the other day after falling downstairs is back on form this morning and was delighted to see Jack. In fact she did so much that the kind companion animal she lives with had to put her back in her pram. And then we met the two lurchers, Jack and Rosie who we haven't seen since last year. They hadn't forgotten, especially Jack who loves me to bits. So nice to talk to happy dogs! The sun hasn't broken through yet but it's a very acceptable morning. This and better will do. Noticeable that the flow on Butts has quickly diminished to a trickle. The ground is not wet, just nicely refreshed. Perfect!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

At 21:00 last night it was dry, mild, a light west wind and high rippled clouds. At the moment we have heavy broken cloud coming through on a light west wind and there has just been a spatter of large rain drops. The glass is down slightly at just over 1008mb. The forecast is for an early shower perhaps, a bright sunny morning and then by noon heavy showers coming in with bright spells in between. The high will be 17C and the mainly SW wind will be moderate for most of the day but falling to light by the end of the day. Another very good growing day.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Mild calm and dry at 21:00 last night with high overcast. Similar this morning and cooler but the overcast is breaking up. The glass is steady, a slight rise to 1010mb. The forecast is for a bright day, high of 16C, light wind from the west all day and perhaps the remote chance of an isolated shower at any time. Quiet weather......
06:25. Back from a pleasant and unremarkable walk on a cooler morning. No complaints whatsoever!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

High broken cloud moving from NW at 21:00 last night. Almost clear this morning first thing, brilliant moon, same now and weak sunlight coming in already. The glass is steady on 1010mb. The forecast is for a bright start to the day with a very light west wind, high of 15C. Around noon the wind will strengthen and by 16:00 we will have rain which will persist all evening.
06:15. Back home after a nice walk on a very pleasant morning. Calm, fresh, sunny, what more could a bloke want? Mark the street sweeper was about his duties and will be finished in time to get home and do BBQ for his kids.

This adventurous cockerel amuses me in Butts. It strays over a hundred yards from the pen near the mill and can fly, it easily got away from Jack this morning who was not chasing it, he just wanted a closer look.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The rain came in dead on time yesterday at 15:30 and persisted on and off all evening. At the moment we have heavy overcast but a clear patch in the East so the sun is coming in under the cloud in complete contrast to the gloom. The glass is down slightly at 1008mb. The forecast is for a dry bright but overcast day (surprising in view of the heavy overcast!) with a high of 14C and a light to moderate west wind all day. We shall see..... it doesn't look bright at the moment!
06:20. A dry walk on a cooler morning. The clouds are moving from the NW despite what the forecast says. They are breaking up now as well... I saw a pair of Jenny Wrens in Valley Gardens, haven't seen any for a while.... The white cockerel was on patrol again.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Cool at 21:00 last night but dry. The high level wind was NW. Overcast and cool this morning after a dry night. We've had our walk and I'll admit to putting an extra skin on! I reckon it's about 8C at the moment. The white cockerel still patrolling Butts.....
The glass is up a shade at 1010mb. The forecast is for the overcast to clear for a while and we shall have sunny spells but around 09:00 it will start to cloud over and by noon we can expect some showers. The day is cooler, a high of 14C. The forecast wind is a steady light breeze from the SW all day but again, I swear the high level wind is more northerly. Not flaming June and it looks as though we shall continue in this vein for the next few days.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The showers came in yesterday as forecast. It was dry at 21:00 but a definite chill in the air and possibly a light East wind because I could hear bell practice at Gill church. I put the CH on for an hour this morning! Dry with broken cloud at the moment. The glass is well down at 999mb. The forecast is for a bright start with a constant moderate mainly SW wind all day. Theoretical high of 14C but it will never feel like more than 11C. Showers will start to come in around 10:00 and persist until early evening, some might be heavy. Definitely not Flaming June!
06:20. When we set off for our morning walk the sun was trying to get in under the cloud in the East but as we got back it had thickened and there was the odd spot of rain in the air. (It's a proper shower now, we timed our walk well!)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Showers and sunny intervals yesterday. At 21:00 we had broken cloud moving across very rapidly from the west but it was dry. This morning it's clearer but I think there has been a light shower during the night. The glass fell slightly during the night but has recovered this morning and is back on the same reading as yesterday, 999mb. The forecast is for a bright start to the day followed by increasing overcast until we get showers again this evening. The high will be 14C and the SW wind will rise from light to moderate during the day but then start to fall to light again this evening. The sun is coming in strongly as I write. The outlook is showery but temperatures will slowly start to rise.
06:20. A pleasant walk on a fresh morning. My rain gauge in Butts signals that a significant amount has fallen in the last 24 hours and the ground is letting more of it run off. There is a healthy flow over the cill of the dam. A nice morning!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The showers came in on schedule yesterday and continued intermittently until late in the night. Dry at 21:00 but heavy overcast. Broken overcast this morning coming in on a stronger west wind. Glass is down slightly on 997mb. Forecast is for bright overcast until mid afternoon and then a period of heavy showers clearing up later. High of 15C, slightly warmer, and a constant moderate west wind all day. We are under the influence of a deep low which is persisting to the North of Scotland. The outlook is similar for the next week. Used to be Barlick holidays and typical holiday weather!
06:40. We were back just as an unscheduled light shower was coming in which lasted for about half an hour. Apart from that a damp but pleasant walk. I have just had a cream and jam filled doughnut in my butcher's shopping which Kath must have slipped in without me noticing. Naughty but very nice! Thanks Kath!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Plenty of scattered showers yesterday. A very heavy shower at 21:00. The glass is up a shade at just over 999mb. (That big Low above Scotland is moving eastwards very slowly and still affecting us) The forecast is for a day of heavy showers and bright intervals brought in on a constant moderate westerly wind all day. High of 13C. Dead simple and a bit depressing.... Barlick Holiday weather!
06:00. Back home after a nice sunny walk but as we got close to home we were being chased by a 180degree rainbow in the west showing that the big black cloud was bringing in rain. It just started as we got through the door! Lovely timing.... The rain gauge in Butts is running at full flow over the cill and the current shower is just getting going....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was another day of showers, rainbows and sunny intervals. At 21:00 last night it was dry and clear. This morning first thing broken cloud was coming from the west but the Eastern sky was clear and blue even before dawn. At the moment we have broken cloud on a west wind and very light rain falling. The glass is up almost at 1009mb. The forecast is for a dry day with broken cloud and good sunny intervals. Slightly warmer at 15C and a light to moderate west wind all day. Looking a bit better and the outlook is for the gradual warming up to continue.
Alight shower was just finishing as we went out of the door but by 06:15 we are back indoors after a dry walk. This and better will do nicely!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nice day yesterday but cool. At 21:00 last night it was dry with high broken cloud that was moving from the NW. Dry this morning with broken cloud coming in from the SW. The glass is rising, up at 1012.5mb this morning. The forecast is for a warmer day, 18C. The light wind will be constant from the SW. There is a chance of a light early shower then good sunny spells until 17:00 when we will have significant rain showers for the rest of the day. Nice to see a bit of a warm up but the outlook is back to cooler weather....
05:55. Back in after a pleasant dry walk on a calm, milder morning with broken cloud, some heavy, coming in from the SW. Birds are singing and nature is enjoying the good growing conditions....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The showers started a bit early yesterday at 15:00. Still spotting rain at 21:00. Mild, clear and early sunshine coming in from the east at the moment. The glass is down at 1007mb. The forecast is for a bright overcast day, high of 15C, constant W/NW moderate breeze all day. Outside chance of an early light shower in the next hour but otherwise dry.
06:20. Despite the black clouds threatening from the NW and a moderate breeze I chanced a shirt sleeve walk with a padded waistcoat. Pleasant tour of the town. Things could be worse!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

We are in the middle of a coldsnap here in Adelaide. Snow fell in our hills last night.
Last night we had our biggest July drenching in decades. Lots of cleaning-up being done by our SES today and lots more rain to come. Most days are around 13C at the moment.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Not much cooler than us Cathy but we haven't any snow on the hills!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Last night at 21:00 it was cool and the clouds were coming in from the NW. This morning we have an almost clear sky, milky light overcast holding the sun back as yet. The glass is rising and is up at 1016mb. The forecast is for a dry, bright overcast day with a high of 16C. The surface wind will be westerly, light to moderate. I say 'surface' because the high level winds seem to have had a more northerly trend just lately. The outlook for the next few days is similar.
06:30. Back home after a pleasant walk.... The sun is trying to break through the light overcast but hasn't managed it yet. This and better will do.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

21:00 last night, mild, dry and a west wind. This morning we have heavy overcast and drizzle. The glass is down on 1010mb. The forecast is dead simple, rain all day on a SW wind that starts moderate and gradually declines to light this evening when the rain will stop. High of 14C. Not high summer!
06:30. Mild and mizzle just about describes it. Not pleasant but we've seen worse!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

21:00 last night, dry mild and a westerly wind. Mizzle this morning which has persisted since first thing, it brightened a bit as we were walking back from the butcher's but is back to light rain as I write..... The glass is down to 1003.5mb. The forecast is for the rain to persist until 09:00 when it will diminish and the day will be bright overcast with a moderate westerly wind all day. The forecast high is 16C and over the next few days it will get warmer but wetter at the same time. First week of Barlick Wakes as was so par for the course!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Last night at 21:00 it was mild, dry, a moderate west wind and very high scattered cloud. This morning at 03:30 it was overcast and a very light drizzle was just starting. By the time we took our walk at 06:00 the overcast was very even, the west wind moderate and the mizzle very fine. In the next half hour the mizzle ceased and hasn't started again yet, but still 100% overcast. The glass rose to 1010mb during the night but has fallen back now to 1008mb. The forecast is for the overcast and rain to persist all day on the moderate SW wind with a high of 18C. The rain will get heavier around 10:00 and persist until 17:00 tonight when it will abate and the sky will clear. Still Barlick holiday weather.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

At 21:00 last night we had a mild dry evening with a moderate west wind and high scattered cloud. This morning is almost the same but with a heavier broken overcast. The glass is down at 999mb. The forecast is for a mild day (17C) with a constant moderate SW wind all day. Very little chance of rain until noon but from then until the end of the day there will be scattered showers and bright intervals. The showers could be heavy at times.
06:15. Back in the hutch after a pleasant walk on a calm, dry, mild morning. Things could be worse (as long as you're an early bird.....)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Very windy here today, with grey skies...but strangely warm. Heard rain overnight every time I turned over and stirred, but dry during daylight. I think I only wake overnight because my shoulder is bothering me and I feel it when I move. The most comfy position is to lie on it, but the rest of my body gets bored and needs to move occasionally...

Return to “Seasons”