Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Summer 2016

Post by Stanley »

Certainly very mild Kev, just off for our morning walk.....
06:45. Back home after a very mild dry walk, Kev was right! Only one thing of note, just as I was crossing the footbridge into Butts at the Corn Mill Dam a very small brown creature shot across from one side of the bridge to the other. Too small and fast for a clear sight but my money is on a shrew busy feeding up for winter! The other thing that struck me was that the sky is clearing faster than the forecast suggested. I suspect once again we have an Eastern bias in the forecast, we could have more sun than the forecast suggests. In that case it will be warmer than forecast.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It was a very pleasant mild day yesterday and still mild and dry at 21:00. The glass is rock steady on 1014mb same as yesterday. The forecast is a re-run of yesterday but if anything brighter and no rain forecast. The wind will be light and southerly and the high will be even better at 22C.
06:45. A pleasant walk. Only one thing struck me, I saw a new Mini Clubman parked in Church Street. They aren't mini any longer!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good day yesterday, ideal for FM builders who were replacing ridge tiles on No. 12 and inspected my roof and cleaned gutters at the same time. Very mild and dry at 21:00. Mild, calm and a mainly clear sky this morning. The glass is down with a bump to just above 1000mb, could signal a change. The forecast is for a mainly dry bright day with a high of 18C. The wind will be a light southerly for much of the day but mid morning will rise and shift into the west and there is a chance of a shower around 10:00 or 11:00. It settles into the south again later and moderates.
06:40. Back from a pleasant walk. Calm, dry, mild light southerly wind and a mostly clear sky with high broken cloud. Things could be worse!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The rain came in early yesterday at 09:00 but the afternoon and evening were fine but slightly cooler. This morning it's overcast but dry. The glass is up a touch at 1002mb. The forecast is for a dry bright overcast day with sunny spells. Rain is forecast to come in at 19:00 and persist into the night. The wind is a constant moderate southerly and the high will be 19C.
06:40. Back from the butcher's. It was fair when I set off in shirtsleeves and waistcoat but I slipped up, there was a light shower! I pressed on remembering the Irishman at Dick Harrison's of Lower Sandiford Farm. Mrs Harrison chided him one day for putting a shirt on off the line that wasn't dry to go to the pub. "It's a poor back that won't dry a shirt Mrs!"
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The rain came in at 19:00 as promised yesterday, it was still raining hard when I went to bed at 22:00. The glass is up a touch at 1003mb. The forecast is dead simple, a dry overcast day with sunny spells and a light west wind that will give us a high of 16C.
06:45. Uneventful dry walk on a calm morning. Cooler than of late. It struck me this morning that our 6AM walks will shortly be in darkness. The days are shortening!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Much cooler but a clear sky and breezy at 21:00. This morning we had a heavy shower on to dry flags at 03:30 when I went in the yard, the flags are dry again now. The glass is up a bit at 1008mb. The forecast is for a dry, bright but overcast day with sunny intervals. The moderate wind is mainly from the south, constant and will give us a high of 16C.
Back at 06:55 after a nice walk on a cooler morning. Clear sky and low sun coming in from the East. This and better will do!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nice day yesterday and at 21:00 last night it was dry, calm and clear but cooler. The glass is down this morning at just below 1003mb but the forecast is a re-run of yesterday, dry, bright overcast and sunshine. The constant moderate southerly breeze will give us a high of 20C and the next few days are forecast to be even warmer. (I have my duvet covers in the washer, looks like a good drying day!)
07:00 Back in the hutch, it's a nice morning, plenty of blue sky coming in from the south and a moderate breeze. My bedding is out on the line and blowing nicely!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Very mild and dry at 21:00 last night and the same this morning with scattered cloud in an otherwise clear sky. According to the thermometer in the back yard its over 60F already. The glass is steady on 1003.5mb. The forecast is for one of the hottest days of the year. We will have unbroken sunshine until mid afternoon when there is an outside chance of a shower as the cloud increases. The light, mainly easterly wind does nothing to lower the temperature and we have a forecast high of 24C. Tomorrow is forecast to be almost as warm. I think this may be our Indian Summer. Don't expect it to last!
06:45. back home after a very pleasant short sleeve walk. One thing I noted is that contrary to the forecast, the broken cloud is still moving across at high level slowly from the West. Very mild.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

It's 11.00 and in the last hour we've had a very impressive thunderstorm, a mixture of fork and sheet lightning but mostly the latter. What made it special was the sound of the thunderclaps. We're used to hearing loud cracks but this consisted of deep booms, some of the loudest I've heard and they went on for a long time and rolled around. More like bombing or shelling than thunder. It gave us a sense of what it must sound like in Aleppo with the barrel bombs dropping.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Enjoy your lovely warm day today.

We have 14C with rain, rain and more rain.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We had the thunder as well, biggest one for years....Dry this morning. Glass up slightly at 1012mb. The forecast is for a similar day to yesterday but no rain forecast, a slightly stronger east wind and a high of 22C.
Back at 07:00 after a lovely walk on a sunny morning. I have seen much worse weather in September.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

That was quite a thunderstorm, it hung around for ages. I was planning on putting the ponies outside just as it arrived....they had been inside all day away from the heat & the flies ...glad I didn't quite make it. Earby was hit by flash floods again.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

The thunder here went on all day, with alternating bouts of torrential rain and no rain. One blast of fork lightning in the morning was very dramatic and may have grounded itself through an electricity pylon in a nearby field. In the afternoon our digital radio had a glitch. It was set to record the programme at 15.00 but at 15.10 it was showing the time as 15.00 and hadn't started the recording; it seemed to be `frozen'. I had to switch it off, pull the plug, then start it again and began recording automatically. It's never done that before and it must have been the thunderstorm. In Burnham-on-Sea people reported a speed camera had, literally, gone on the blink - it was flashing for every car regardless of the speed.

Just imagine cycling in these mountains, it might be even tougher than the Pennines! LINK
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I didn't realise until I spoke to Susan yesterday afternoon how bad the floods were in Earby. S says as bad as Boxing Day but not as prolonged. Calm and misty first thing and the same now. The glass is steady on 1006mb. The forecast is for another good day. Bright overcast with sunny spells, no rain forecast, very light wind is variable but mainly WNW. High of 22C.
06:50. Back after a misty calm walk. I have seen worse in September. This is an exceptional spell of weather. More thunder forecast for the South but nothing at the moment for us....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Another Indian Summer day yesterday. The glass is down slightly at 1005mb this morning. The forecast is for a mostly dry day but with a strong chance of heavy rain mid morning. There is a slim chance of an isolated thunder storm for most of the day. The light to moderate NW wind will hold temperatures back to 16C. Some very heavy thunderstorms active in the south and moving northwards. We appear to be getting the best of the weather. Overall there is change in the offing, summer may be over!
06:45.Back from the butcher's just as a rain shower started. I think they have given a Western bias to the Barlick forecast and we are getting the eastern weather... So perhaps more rain than in the forecast and that could include thunder as well.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

No thunder yesterday but wetter than forecast. Last night it was cooler, clearing and dry. This morning it' was clear first thing, much cooler and a brilliant full moon, isn't it funny how, yet again, the weather has changed with the moon. Just looked out and still clear and dry. The glass is well up at 1015mb. The forecast is for a dry bright sunny day. The light wind (almost calm at the moment) starts in the west and during the day swings round through every point of the compass but finishes up very light and westerly tonight. The forecast high is 17C, slightly up on yesterday. We are getting the best of the weather. Jack and I are off for a walk!
06:45. A nice walk, moon setting in a clear sky and getting bigger as it fell, much cooler but a nice morning!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It was a nice day yesterday and a lovely evening. First thing this morning it was dry, calm, clear with mist and a lovely moon. The same now but the mist has lifted. The glass is unchanged, rock steady on 1015mb. The forecast is for a dry bright day with perhaps the chance of a light shower late tonight. The wind is light and westerly, the high is 16C. Looks like another good day!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The mist came back and the day was slow to get out. This morning the flags were damp and the sky overcast, calm, same now. The glass is rock steady still on 1015mb. The forecast is remarkably bland. The temperature is 14C at the moment and will hover round that all day a high of 15C perhaps and ending at 12C late tonight. The wind is very light, in the West at the moment but will quietly swing round through S to end up in the east tonight. Low probability of mist and light rain at times. We'll be lucky to see the sun. The trend is cooler.....
06:35. Back home after a very dark walk. Calm, overcast, patches of light mizzle. The weather is on hold, like me..,...
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Can't remember the weather yesterday but fine at 21:00. This morning it's calm, dry, clear with a good moon and high scattered cloud, has been like that since first thing. Glass is frozen on 1015mb, I checked with Gisburn Road and they report a steady reading also. The forecast is almost the same as yesterday, dry with bright overcast or full sunny spells. The very light wind stays that way all day swinging all round the compass, starts in the east and ends up there tonight. A quiet very acceptable day. High of 16C. We go for a walk!
06:50. Back from a quiet walk. Lots of Jack's mates about and lots of weemail, it must be a good scenting morning! I've see a lot worse in September so this and better will do. Lighter this morning because it is clear but the days are drawing in.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Dry pleasant day yesterday. Same at 21:00, calm and dry. Dry, calm and scattered high cloud with the moon peeping through this morning. Glass is not frozen! Fell slightly to 1012mb this morning. Forecast is for a quiet day. Scattered cloud with sunny intervals and no rain forecast. Wind starts cam but strengthens to moderate as it swings into SE during the day, ends up later tonight in the south. Expected high of 17C. This and better will do....
07:00. Uneventful pleasant walk. I don't care what the forecast says, the thickening cloud is coming in from the West!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Summer ends today so this topic is now locked from further input. Welcome to Autumn 2016 new topic on the link below.

Autumn 2016
Ian

Return to “Seasons”