Summer 2016

David Whipp

Re: Summer 2016

Post by David Whipp »

Someone was commenting that the thistles were unusually high this year...
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

They are David, some of them are also 6ft tall.
Last night the heavy cloud was being replaced by broken cloud from the west at 21:00 and it was dry and mild. It's dry and cooler this morning with clearing skies coming in from the NW. The glass has risen to 1006mb. The forecast is for a dry bright day with a moderate west wind and a high of 16C.
Back after a pleasant but cool walk at 05:35. I am not on top form.... An easy day is indicated!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Glass has risen to 1008mb and forecast is a re-run of yesterday.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Warm enough in the sun in Whitby, beach today, :smile:
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I love Whitby and am green with envy. Are you planning a trip on the steam railway?
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I love Whitby! ( watch the tide come in...it is amazing)
I was staying near Whitby and had to drive in to get internet every morning. I have happy memories of watching the tide come in and watching boats come afloat off the mud as I emailed hubby at home.)
Always went to the fresh fish place to buy something to cook for tea before I went back to my holiday accommodation.
I've never felt so lonely in my life as I did that week, but walking Whitby was just lovely.
I slept on the floor in the holiday accommodation's lounge room, because the bedroom gave me the "Heebie Jeebies"...it was a strange tortoise shell time warp, and I didn't feel good in there AT ALL. I was fine on the floor. First time I have ever lit and been warmed by a coal fire ( smelly old things!)

I walked along the beach huts too...
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've not had a lot of interest in the weather lately.... Must be coming too, I noted the wind last night and at 4AM it started raining as Jack had his pee.... Dry at the moment bit angry looking cloud. Glass is just over 1009mb. Forecast is for a chance of rain before 10:00 but bright and sunny after that. Strong west wind all day.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Lovely day today,22C, first day in ages that I didn't need a jacket.
Back to rain for tomorrow, oh well...
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Lovely at ours too, Cazza.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nice afternoon and pleasant at 21:00. Calmer cooler morning first thing but dry. Glass has risen to 1018mb, a hopeful sign! Forecast is for a dry bright day with the chance of a shower in the late afternoon. The mainly WNW breeze will become moderate and the high is expected to be 15C.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I had half an hour's worth of CH yesterday morning for my back.... Nice evening after a dry day, it was clear first thing but now there is heavier cloud coming in from the west. The glass is steady on 1018mb. The forecast is for a mainly dry and sunny day starting with a light West wind that swings North and then settles in the WNW and getting stronger. Slight chance of a shower later in the evening and a high of 15C under the Northerly wind.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Light rain at 21:00 after a damp evening. Raining this morning. Glass is just below 1013mb, down a bit. The forecast is for a wet day, the rain will ease early but stay with us all day. The west wind is moderate and constant all day, high of 15C forecast. Not summer!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The forecast was right yesterday, a gloomy wet day on the whole and still raining lightly at 21:00 but very mild. Raining first thing this morning but it's fair now and the flags are drying out. The glass is a shade higher at 1014mb. The forecast is for a dryer, brighter day with a chance of a shower mid morning and at tea time. The constant moderate SW breeze will raise the temperature slightly to a high of 16C. Better, but not summer!
07:00. Back after a pleasant dry walk to the butcher's. There were patches of blue sky as we went down but by the time we were on our way home it had clouded over. Quite mild.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Last night at 21:00 it was fair but overcast. There must have been rain during the night but it had stopped by 4AM and things were just damp! We've had our walk and it is a mild, pleasant morning and broken cloud shows patches of blue sky but occasionally a darker cloud and a few spits of rain. The glass is down a touch at 1013mb. The forecast is for an overcast day with occasional spots of rain. The moderate west wind is constant and the high is the same as yesterday, 16C. Not a lot to report except that the outlook is for the temperature to rise, about time!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The day improved enough to dry a duvet cover on the line. This morning it's calm, dry and Mild. The glass is has risen to almost 1018mb. The forecast is for a bright overcast day, a possibility of a light shower early on. The light westerly breeze will be constant all day and the high will be slightly better at 17C. There's a general improvement and a good outlook.
06:20. A pleasant walk on a mild dry morning.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nice day yesterday, that bit of extra temperature was very welcome. Calm, clear, heavy dew and misty first thing this morning, clearing now. The glass is up slightly at 1020mb. The forecast is for a mainly sunny day, dry and a very light East or SE breeze giving us a high of 20C. Good day for Dennis and Sparky!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Dennis & Sparky would be happier with a decent breeze to keep the flies away.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Tail extensions?
We are back after a nice walk on a summer morning. Clear sky, sun coming in and mild. Two things caught my attention.....

Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Tail extensions?
We are back after a nice walk on a summer morning. Clear sky, sun coming in and mild. Two things caught my attention.....

The 'Just Eat' campaign has failed as far as this takeaway is concerned.

Please park prettily in Butts.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I can tell you haven't been out much Stanley, the chicken shop has been shut for a couple of months now. There is some sign of activity in there on occasion
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nice day and evening yesterday. Clear and mild this morning. The glass is down at 1016mb. The forecast is dead simple, wall to wall sun all day with a constant light East wind and a high of 20C.
06:30. A nice shirtsleeve walk. The renegade cockerel was on patrol in Butts....this and better will do!
Full moon on Thursday.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Another nice day yesterday, mild and calm at 21:00. The glass is back to 1010mb as the North Sea high dissipates. The forecast is a re-run of yesterday, wall to wall sun, dry, light East wind and a high of 20C.
06:25. Back in the hutch after a very pleasant walk. I was struck by the fact that the trees are in full leaf.... They look very happy. It was clear early on but we have overcast at the moment but it will burn off no doubt....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Gale Force winds all day. Very unpleasant indeed...couldn't hang washing on the line as it would have turned sheets into rags in no time. Everything battened down...
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It was 10:00 before the overcast burned off yesterday. Last night at 21:00 it was almost calm, a light East wind, dry and mild. This morning we have overcast again. The glass is falling and back at almost 1006mb. We have a full moon tonight and once again it seems to be heralding a change. The forecast is very similar to yesterday, overcast until mid morning and then it burns off to give a sunny dry day. There will be a constant moderate east wind all day and a high of 21C. The out look is for significant rain to come in tomorrow and over then next few days we can expect lower temperatures and some wind.
Just seen Maz's post. It looks as though we are following you!
07:00. Back home after a nice walk under 100% overcast. Not high summer but better than it will be tomorrow!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Strong and gusty winds seem to have become the norm here in Somerset. You can have a lovely, clear, blue summer sky with temperatures in the high 20s and yet the wind is bending the trees over and blowing everything about. It makes you restless and there's no chance of sitting out on an evening, let alone having a barbecue. It's a shame for people with marquees and outdoor parties planned. We have a Met Office weather warning for Saturday for winds of 50 or 60 mph - that's nothing in the Scottish Highlands but not good here in the middle of the summer holidays. Also warnings of big waves making it dangerous on the beaches. It's bad enough already with the rescue teams having to save people from drowning at Burnham and Weston. We seem to have more holidaymakers who are unfamiliar with the sea and coast and they wander out on the Bristol Channel coast which has a nearly 30-foot tide coming in twice a day. Others park their cars on the beach and then wonder why they've sunk into the sand or are under water!
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)

Return to “Seasons”