Autumn 2016

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Autumn 2016

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was exactly as forecast all day and the same at 21:00 last night. This morning it is the same but slightly more wind. The glass is down at 1023mb. The forecast is almost a re-run of yesterday but slightly cooler. The light W wind will gradually decrease during the day and this evening it will be almost calm and a chance of mist or fog. Like yesterday the high is 7C bit the low tonight is slightly lower at 5C, enough wind chill to make it feel colder all day.
I was looking at the outlook last night. The main feature of the weather at the moment is that there is a large cold front pushing down through North America from the Laurentian Shield reaching as far down as Florida. This steep temperature gradient where the cold meets the hot in the south is stimulating the Jet Stream and producing some large low pressure systems. One very large one is heading our way at the moment but will pass to the North of the Isles and we will only get the fringes of it. That's expected to arrive at weekend and give us stronger winds, low temperatures and some rain so the outlook for Xmas is almost certainly cold, wet and windy. Another large system is expected to develop and follow this low in, this one could track further south and hit us directly in the week after Xmas. It's not beyond the bounds of possibility that this second low could drag some cold air down from the north and who knows, we could have snow.
But today, it will be gloomy!
Later, listening to the Shipping Forecast. There are Force 11 gales forecast for the sea areas North of Scotland. This is only one short of a hurricane. See THIS for the Beaufort Scale.
06:25. Totally unremarkable walk, dry, not windy, not cold and a slight breaking up of the overcast, the half moon was peeping through as I walked up Butts. How long can thbis good weather last? December looks as though it's going to join November as one of the driest and warmest on record......
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Right up to late last night the weather stayed the same.... During the night here was a light shower, the flags were damp first thing. We have already had our walk, I'm running slightly late this morning and it is still the same, overcast, a light wind and dry. The glass is down with a bump at 1015mb. The forecast is not available for some reason, the Met Office site is having a funny turn so I shall have to guess! The glass dropping is the clue. I expect today to be much the same as yesterday but with perhaps a slight increase in the wind and later perhaps a chance of rain.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Autumn ends today at 10.22 so this topic is locked from further input.

New Winter 2016/2017 topic here.
Ian

Return to “Seasons”