Autumn 2016

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Autumn 2016

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was, as promised, dry bright and cold. It's the same this morning and I shall be wearing my scarf for the morning walk! The Shipping Forecast reports Northerly gales for all coastal sea areas..... The glass is up a touch on 1001mb. The forecast is for a generally bright day and apart from the chance of a light shower between 10:00 and 14:00 it will be dry. The wind will be a constant northerly all day and will ensure that the theoretical high of 5C never feels better than freezing or below because of the wind chill. The low tonight is forecast to be 1C and tomorrow it will be colder.
06:30. Back in after a bracing walk! The wind hasn't got going yet but it's already cold, glad I put my scarf on. The cloud is broken and daylight is coming as early as we can expect it at this time of the year.....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Cold and mainly dry day yesterday, just a light shower late morning as forecast. At 22:00 last night it was dry and cold with broken cloud and a moderate Northerly breeze. Same this morning. The glass is up at just below 1010mb. The forecast is for a cold dry, bright, overcast day. The wind is constant, light to moderate and north westerly. The theoretical high is 6C but will never feel much better than freezing in the wind chill. As night falls the sky will clear and the forecast low is -3C by Tuesday morning. There are showers to the NE of us and they are falling as snow on high ground. I think we can agree it's November!
06:30. Uneventful walk on a relatively mild morning. The wind is very light at the moment, it will pick up as daylight comes. This and better will do!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I have noted that lots of presenters are referring to the current weather conditions as Winter, bloody hell, we are only a fortnight into Autumn! At this rate we will be able to get the shorts and deck chairs out again before Christmas. Dress appropriately and get on with it. :wink:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

If it's dark and cold it's winter as far as I'm concerned!
Yesterday was brighter than forecast, cold and dry. at 21:00 last night it was cold and clear with a moderate northerly wind. Same this morning first thing, I've just popped me head out and it appears to be overcast but we definitely have a frost. The glass is is down a bit at 1006mb. The forecast is for a dry bright day at first but later it will become increasingly cloudy and by 18:00 we have rain forecast which could fall as snow. The wind is very light and variable mainly from the SW later. The theoretical high is 3C and the low for tonight is 0C. November weather!
06:15. A dry, very cold walk. Good job it is virtually calm, a wind would have been serious news for my ears!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was exactly as forecast, bright and at times sunny during the day and cold rain coming in as it got dark. This has never fallen as snow but as sleet, it was sleeting first thing this morning and is the same now as I write. In other words a cold nasty November morning! The glass has fallen like a stone during the night and is on 990mb and seems to be trying to rise. The forecast is for this sleety rain to persist until mid morning when it become misty. The rest of the day will be heavy overcast with the slight chance of a light shower at any time. The wind is very light and swings around the compass all day. The theoretical high is 2C and the low tonight 1C. The wind chill will make it feel freezing or below all day. This is a classic November day.
06:40. Not often you hear me complain about a morning walk but this morning's was not a nice trip out! Only good thing is that there is hardly any wind, it was snowing heavily as I went out, heavy enough to stick on pavements and make them slippy. It abated as we were going round the town but I'll take a small bet that Wendy has a good covering this morning. The roads haven't been salted and there was a thin covering of slush even on the main roads. More showers to come in, I'm not expecting heavy snow but who knows in November? Wrap up well if you are going out there and drive carefully, you can't be too careful!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

It was starting to sleet at about 9pm last night and we have a covering this morning.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

No more snow down here since 6AM.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

It's still coming down here, there is at least an inch of wet snow.
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

We had a light dusting when I got up but it soon went. Now there are a few flakes falling with a light rain.
Say only a little but say it well.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Last night at 21:00 it was calm, clear and very cold. This morning it is calm but we have heavy cold rain. I've just looked outside and it has not changed, steady significant rain.... The glass rose during the night to almost 1000mb but is back at 995mb. The forecast is for the heavy rain to persist until about 06:00 and then the day clears to bright overcast with sunny spells and perhaps an occasional light shower, as darkness falls the sky will clear. The wind starts light westerly and essentially stays in the west all day rising to moderate in the middle of the day. The theoretical high is 6C but the wind chill will take it down to near freezing all day. The low tonight is forecast at 1C. A slightly later walk is indicated I think! This is November weather.
07:45. We missed the worst of the rain which was considerable, my rain gauge in Butts has a heavy flow over the cill. We chanced the Crombie and it was OK. It's a raw damp morning but the clouds appears to be breaking and the sky is coming light.... Things could be a lot worse!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday gradually dried up as promised and by 21:00 we had a calm dry evening with an overcast sky and it is the same this morning. The glass has leapt up to 1014mb. The forecast is for a dry, overcast day with some sunny spells late morning and early afternoon. There is hardly any wind at the moment but during the day it will be a gradually increasing south or south east breeze that will be quite strong and gusty by late tonight. Contrary to the forecast yesterday we have not got a frost and the theoretical high is 6C today and 5C tonight. The wind, despite it being a southerly, will give us a wind chill and the warmest it will feel will be 3C at midday. Things could be worse!
06:45. Back in after a dry and almost pleasant walk. I say almost because it is dark and I don't like the short days! But, considering it's the middle of November we should be grateful for whatever we get. By the way, remember the Daily Mail forecasting we would be up to our oxters in snow? Not the most reliable forecasters in the world.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was quite good if chilly but in the forecast there was a suggestion of rain beginning at midnight. At 21:00 it was cold and breezy with an overcast sky but dry. This morning we had heavy cold rain and a stiff breeze. We have been for our walk and were lucky because it had bated and we only had light rain but the same stiff breeze. My rain gauge, Butts Beck tells me that there has been a lot of rain since midnight, it is roaring over the cill of the Corn Mill dam at least a foot deep, as heavy as I have seen it for a long time. The glass has done a dive to 1009mb. The forecast is for the rain to cease by 09;00 and at the same time the strong SW wind will drop to a light breeze and back into the west. We could have a spell of mist but the rest of the day will be dry with a bright overcast with some sun. The theoretical high is 9C and the low for tonight 3C. The constant light westerly will persist all day.
10:40. We've just had our mid morning walk. A touch of murk and some mizzle but they were right about the wind, that nasty wind earlier has moderated to a light westerly.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday can only be described as adequate. At 21:00 last night we were dry, cold and the cloud was broken. This morning first thing it was calm, dry, broken cloud and a heavy dew. I've just looked out and it is still the same. The glass is up with a bang again at 1019mb. The forecast is for a mainly dry and bright day. The wind will be light all day starting in the west but in the afternoon backing to SW. As this happens it could bring some rain later tonight. The theoretical high is 8C and the low tonight 7C. Quiet weather under the influence of a ridge of high pressure. Tomorrow could be warmer.....
06:30. Back in after an acceptable walk for mid November. Dry, calm and a clearing sky, noticeably cooler but no frost. My rain gauge in Butts still has a good flow but nothing like yesterday's banker!

07:25. I just noticed this lovely sky.......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The forecast yesterday was accurate, it was an acceptable day but started raining at about 20:30. We still had light rain and almost calm this morning. The glass rose to about 1025mb yesterday but has now fallen back a touch to just below 1022mb. The forecast is quite peculiar. We are promised heavy cloud, fog and a 30% chance of drizzly rain all day! The high will be 11C and tonight the low will be the same. The wind will be a moderate SW breeze all day. All I can say is that it's accurate so far but experience tells me that the Met Office usually tends to give us the easterly weather picture and as we are on the dividing line of the Pennines, it can be a toss up as to which system we get. As the wind is from the SW I expect it to be perhaps slightly brighter than the forecast but not much! It's November isn't it.....
06:30. A calm, mild dry morning. Some breaks in the could to the east but to the SW it looks unbroken. We shall see.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was gloomy! It was getting dark at 4PM. Light rain at 21:00. Same first thing this morning and I have just popped my head out, it's still the same, light cold rain and a bit of wind with it. The glass is down at 1017mb. The forecast has no rain in it, perhaps we are once more getting the wrong slant! We are promised a dry day with bright overcast and sunny spells after early mist. We shall see! The temperature at the moment is 13C but will fall all day, the low tonight is forecast at 7C. The wind at the moment is a moderate westerly, it will gradually abate to a light westerly by late tonight. The outlook is for colder weather with more wind and rain, perhaps even some snow later in the week.
06:35. Back in after a damp cold walk. Still drizzling and no sign of the mist and fog. I don't see how we can have that with a moderate breeze blowing from the west as it is this morning. We are promised rougher weather tomorrow and the rest of the week.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

The sky has started to clear in the last hour. Yesterday was horrid.
If you keep searching you will find it
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Sun came out mid morning and it is milder than of late.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It cleared a bit here as well. At 21:00it was dry and breezy. This morning it's dry, breezy and a lot cooler. The glass is down at 1007mb. The forecast is for rain coming in early this morning (An early walk!) and after an initial heavy spell, scattered showers and sunshine all day. The high will be 9C and the low tonight 4C. The main feature of the weather all day will be the brisk wind from the West and the fact that we are going into a colder spell. Once again a full moon has heralded a change in the weather.
05:00. Change of plan. I've just looked outside and the rain has arrived early, heavy and cold! I shall keep my eye open for a better spell.....
07:35. Back in after a cold, windy but not wet walk so it was a good call. I caught B&D open as well so spent a fortune on a new blow-lamp.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I think our forecast was for around 30C today. I noticed the heat early as I was hanging washing out, and commented to hubby that the Sun has a real bite to it. Twenty mins after hanging the washing out I found it was all bone dry - including denim jeans. That would beat the tumble dryer I think!
I'm not looking forward to Summer...
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I doubt if there is a big sale in Oz for tumble dryers to anyone who has space for a washing line.....
Yesterday was cold and wet! At 21:00 it was cold, breezy and raining hard. This morning we have broken cloud, a breeze and a lot of standing water but it isn't raining at the moment. The glass is well down at 994mb, not a good sign..... The forecast is for there to be a good chance of rain all day, heavy at times. The wind is a constant stiff and gusty SW breeze. It will feel much colder, the theoretical high is 6C and 0C tonight but with the wind chill it will feel much colder, freezing during daylight hours and down as low as -3C late tonight. The rain during the evening could fall as snow.... In short, a classic November day!
07:15. Glad to be back in the warm and dry! (Jack has been rubbed down and is feeling no pain.) It's a lousy morning! Full wet weather gear, legs, wellies, Barbour and scarf. It is windy and there are bursts of heavy rain interspersed with lighter stuff. The beck in Butts is running a banker again, there has been a lot of rain in the night. Very cold in that wind and I can quite believe the forecast of snow later tonight as the temperature falls. If you can stay indoors, do so!!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was a horrible day for anyone who had to be out in it. At 21:00 last night it was breezy, cold and wet! This morning first thing we had sleet (and I'll bet snow on the hills) but by the time we went to the Butcher's the rain had stopped and we had a damp, windy and cold walk. The glass is down at 980mb, a bad sign..... The forecast is dead simple, for cold rain and sleet all day but once again I suspect that they have this wrong and we might buck the trend and have the Eastern weather instead as at the moment we have clear sky between the broken cloud. We shall see.... The wind is a constant moderate SW and the forecast high is 3C and the low tonight 1C but the wind chill will mean it is actually below freezing all day. The outlook according to the forecast is for it to get colder with a northerly wind but there is a possibility that this will change as there is a chance of severe gales in the next few days. This is a very dynamic weather situation and could go either way. The only thing that is certain is that it's November weather!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Woke up to a white covering which was cleared by rain apart from the hills. Now we are getting snow flakes in light rain and it is bitterly cold.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It was a nasty cold day yesterday with a lot of cold, sleety rain but no snow. Last night at 21:00 it was almost dry but cold. This morning we have cold heavy rain. The glass is up a bit at 989mb. The forecast is very similar to yesterday, Cold rain or snow almost any time with occasional clear patches. The wind will be a moderate breeze from the SW all day until late tonight when it swings into the east. The high is 3C and the low tonight 0C but with the wind chill it will feel like well below freezing all day. November......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Well you TAKE CARE, Stanley. We don't want to hear you have gone flying on slippery surfaces and broken a bone. The dog will survive without a walk....
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I take your point Maz. Thanks for your concern, believe me I am very careful....
We're just back from our walk. The rain has stopped and the sky is clear. Hardly any wind bit very cold. No slippery pavements as yet Maz but it won't be long now.
I am sorry to have to report that only a few days after the dog bins on the Green were re-staked, some moron has uprooted the one nearest the bus stops on Station Road. My natural reaction is anger but then I think about the fact that there is so little in their lives of any value that kicking a dog bin over is the best part of the walk home from the pub. Who is to blame for this? Could it be that as a society we have omitted to educate them properly? Whatever, the bin is on the ground again David. Can we have bins that fight back?
07:30. Cold hard rain again. We were very lucky this morning!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Seasons”