Autumn 2016

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Autumn 2016

Post by Stanley »

Another bright, dry cold day yesterday. This morning first thing it was calm and dry, 50% cloud cover but not as cold. We have had our morning walk and there is more cloud. It's dry, not as cold as yesterday and a very light east wind. Very acceptable. The glass is rock steady on just below 1020mb, same as yesterday. The forecast is for a dry, mainly overcast and misty day. There is a very light wind that starts in the East but slowly and surely swings into the South. The temperature is 6C and a low of 6C tonight with hardly any wind chill. A much warmer day and it looks like a brewing day for a change in the weather. The outlook is for it to be even warmer. We are having very kind weather!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was a quiet day as forecast but with one surprise in its tail, at 21:00 last night it was raining! This morning first thing it was dry, breezy and overcast. I've just had a look outside and there is no change. The glass has started to move, it is down at 1015mb. The forecast is for a dry, overcast morning with some sunny spells late morning but mid-afternoon we shall see some rain. The wind is a brisk SW breeze all day and the high will be 12C with a low of 11C tonight.
06:30. Just back. It's a top coat warmer out there, dry, breezy and overcast but a very pleasant December walk!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

On the whole yesterday was more overcast and wet than the forecast suggested but mild. At 21:00 last night it was raining. This morning first thing the flags were damp but it wasn't raining, 100% overcast and a light mild breeze. I've just poked me head out and it's raining steadily. The glass is rock steady on 1015mb, the same as yesterday. The forecast is for steady rain until noon and after that fog/mist for the rest of the day. It will be mild with a high of 12C and a low tonight of 8C. The moderate SW wind will be constant and trend towards the west late tonight. Very mild! This is not typical December weather.
06:35. We've had a wet but mild walk. Not as bad as it sounds because for most of the way round our walk the rain eased. I note that the Council have but new fouling notices up which include the wo0rds 'Bag that poo, any bin will do'. First time I have seen that word ob a poster.... Question is will the ignorant dog owners who don't pick up notice the signs?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

The signs are based on a study carried out by Keep Britain Tidy which showed dog owners were more responsible about picking up dog waste if they thought someone was watching them.

Pendle Council is trying them out at different locations - including Valley Gardens.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I hope they work!
A wet day yesterday as forecast. At 21:00 it was overcast, calm and dry. Same thing first thing this morning. I've just looked out and there have been a few spots of rain in the last hour. The glass is still rock steady on 1015mb. The forecast is for it to be dry until about 09:00 and then rain all day on a stiff and at times gusty SW wind. The high is 12C and the low tonight 9C. The wind chill will keep it feeling like 8C all day. Very mild for December!

The weather in Perth, WA at 05:00 UK time this morning. Expected high of 37C.

We were back in the hutch before 07:00 after a dry, pleasant walk to the Butcher's. Not a lot more to say really. The forecast was correct, the early morning rain has retreated and the wind hasn't got up yet. I expect that to happen when the rain comes in at 09:00. Things could be worse!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Raining and dark enough at 15:00 to trigger the sensor on the outside light as I let Jack out for his pre-tea pee.... I hate the gloom at this time of the year!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Last night at 21:00 it was raining and quite breezy. This morning we still have the breeze but it is dry. The glass has dropped again slightly to just below 1014mb. The forecast is for a drier day, overcast but with an occasional glimpse of the sun. It will be cooler, 9C for the high and 6C for the low tonight. There will be a constant moderate SW wind and this will cool us a bit but not much. The outlook is for very similar weather.
06:35. Back from a pleasant walk. The brisk SW wind is mild and not cold by any means but cooler than yesterday. Dry underfoot and in short a perfect early morning December walk. This and better will do nicely.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It was a damp day yesterday and good to tell we are approaching the shortest day of the year, going dark under heavy cloud at 15:00. At 21:00 last night there was less wind and it was dry. This morning it was cool, less wind, dry and broken cloud, the stars were peeping through. It is more overcast now.... The glass is up a fraction at 1015mb, very steady for days.... The forecast is very simple, heavy overcast all day with very little chance of rain. The wind will be a moderate Westerly all day until late tonight when it will slacken and back to SW. The high will be 8C and the low tonight 4C. Not much wind chill. Almost boring but still good December weather! The Winter Solstice approaches, December 21st.
06:40. Back home after a pleasant walk. I have no pain, striding out well and breathing easily, all important elements and made better by the fact that it's dry. The breeze must be cooler than the ground because everything is drying out fast. On the whole, another good December morning!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

We'd like a bit of that thanks Stanley.....
We have 36C tomorrow and 34C on Tuesday.
Hello Summer. :sunny3: :(
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Cathy, I was only thinking the other day that if you cold get water from the tap as cold as ours is in Barlick you'd be delighted!
Yesterday was, as forecast, gloomy and it was dark early. There were a few lighter moments but they were thin on the ground. This morning it is cool, overcast and a light breeze but dry. The glass is up very slightly at just below 1017mb. The forecast is for another gloomy day with a slim chance of light showers in the early afternoon but most likely mist and fog. The wind is very light and variable and could be anywhere from a general southerly direction all day. The high will be 7C and the low tonight 6C, very little wind chill. A nowt day!
06:35. A good walk, cooler but dry and the cloud is breaking, some stars are peeping through. No complaints at all!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Stanley, if you could get water as warm as it is from OUR taps, you could wash your dishes or take a reasonable bath.

Shorts and T-shirts today ( will still be wearing shorts if I get to 100).
Tonight will be warm enough for no bedclothes at all, not even a top sheet. I shall be flipping the pillow over every hour to find a cool dry spot ( I so hate sweaty pillows).
Hee hee...might even leave the nightie in the drawer tonight.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Au naturele Maz, I thought that would be the norm in your summer climate. It is for me all year round, cant do with clothes in bed. :smile:
Ian
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Started to rain late morning and it is cold. Our crocus bulbs are coming through in a tub on the patio!
Say only a little but say it well.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I refuse to be drawn on the subject of a naked Maz in bed. Cure for pillow Maz, use a folded towel instead.....
Last night it rained late on, at 21:00 it was calm and 100% overcast but not actually raining. This morning it's dry and calm but overcast. The glass is down at 1013mb, a bigger movement than of late. The forecast is for a largely overcast day with a chance of both showers and sunshine. The wind will be light and vary between S and East all day giving a high of 9C and a low tonight of 7C. Hardly any wind chill and indeed not much of anything! Another nowt day but mild for December.
06:50. Back from yet another uneventful and pleasant walk. 100% overcast, dry, almost calm. I've had worse in December!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We had frequent light cold showers yesterday and very little sun. Last night at 21:00 it was relatively calm but raining. This morning first thing we had broken cloud and a lovely big full moon, it was dry and there was a moderate breeze. I've just looked out and it is slightly cloudier but still dry and the wind seems stronger. The glass is down again on 1010mb, the blocking high over Scandinavia is losing out to the Atlantic systems, note that once more, the change comes with the full moon. The forecast is for a brighter, drier day with some sun. The wind is moderate and gusty, it will gradually abate to light by late tonight and is southerly all day. The high is 10C and the low tonight 5C. The wind chill is taking 3 degrees off that at the moment but by tonight with the lighter wind it will be chilling us less. The outlook is for wetter weather as the Atlantic systems get control.
06:55. We've had a good walk! First it's dry and although the wind is blustery, it isn't cold, doesn't bite your ears. We met the 15 year old three-legged cur bitch that Jack is besotted with and then I met Jack and Rosie, two smooth coat lurchers that think the sun shines out of my bum! I've always said that if dogs and jids like me there isn't a whole lot wrong! Those two know who the good guys are! Right round the walk I had the benefit of one of the best full moons I have ever seen. It was big when it was high in the sky first thing but as it sets it gets bigger. Luckily it's been framed in a gap in the clouds and has a lovely halo so bright you can see the rainbow colours faintly at the periphery. A beautiful sight......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Far brighter yesterday than forecast. At 21:00 last night it was almost calm and dry with broken cloud, during the night the sky was clear and the moon brilliant. You could read the payer by it. It's overcast now. The glass is up very slightly at 1012mb. The forecast is for damp, misty and overcast conditions until noon when we can expect heavier rain until 17:00 when the sky will gradually clear to broken cloud by midnight. The high is forecast as 9C and the low tonight at 6C. The wind will be light, constant and from the SE. Not exciting weather, but it could be much worse. No brilliant moon this morning unfortunately.
06:30. A pleasant walk on a calm, dry mild morning. The overcast is thick enough to completely obscure the brilliant moon we know is out there. This and better will do, less than a week to the Winter Solstice.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Roll on lighter nights. Very misty & murky today with no wind to blow it away.
Say only a little but say it well.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Dead right Maz, I had exactly the same thought yesterday when we had unremitting gloom all day. The rain was late coming in but persisted until at least midnight, it was raining at 21:00 when I let Jack out. But there is hope.... the shortest day is next Wednesday. Overcast and calm again this morning first thing but dry, still the same. It looks like a re-run of yesterday! The glass is up a touch at 1014mb. The forecast is for a uniformly overcast day all day. No rain forecast and the very light wind will be Southerly all day. The high is 8C and the low tonight 5C. Quiet boring weather but it could be much worse!
06:45. We were back from the butcher's after a pleasant walk on a calm morning and under a clearing sky, the cloud is breaking up and my friend the moon is there again with a thin veil of cloud. Not as spectacular as Wednesday but still a lovely moon. It's been a busy morning, the butcher's and I ordered a wrap-up for next weekend, Xmas has sneaked up on me. Then to the Co-op for milk and other necessities. Then I read the paper and filed this week's copy, I have every article I have ever written for the paper on file. Now I have to finish the site and attend to the comms. Only then can I get in the shed! No one could accuse me of vegetating in my old age!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Dusk at 16.40 here in Somerset and Mrs Tiz has just called me excitedly to come and see what she's spotted - a bat flying around the top of our pine tree. A bat, in December! It's been a calm, sunny, mild day and there were lots of midges about so the bat will be taking the opportunity to lay down a bit more fat. Lovely to see but I hope it heads home to the roost before the temperature drops too far. :smile:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday turned out to be quite bright but started to deteriorate in the late afternoon. At 21:00 last night it was overcast, calm and a hint of rain in the air, at midnight there was a brilliant moon in a clear sky. This morning it was calm and overcast with evidence there has been a light shower during the night. Still dry as I write. The glass is up with a bang at 1029mb! The forecast is for a bright dry day with sunny spells. The wind will be moderate and constant from the WSW all day. The theoretical high is 6C and 4C tonight but wind chill will make it feel colder all day and as low as 0C late tonight. The outlook is generally fair but gradually getting colder.
06:45. A bit of a surprise when we went out. Clear sky, brilliant moon and a sharp frost! White frost on the grass and car windscreens are freezing up rapidly. I spoke to Mark the streetcleaner and he said it had surprised him as well. However, the wind hasn't got up yet and it was a pleasant, if bracing, walk!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Thick thick thick fog here.
If you keep searching you will find it
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

And here just at the moment. It rolled up the hill from below bringing a chill with it about half an hour ago.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

It is a bit chilly, ice on the car this morning.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm afraid I have problems with what is described these days as 'thick fog' because nothing today remotely compares with the fogs I have seen. I can remember in the 1950s standing under a street lamp and not being able to see the lamp above my head.

This is a Wells No. 18 Cast iron flare. Fuelled by a mixture of waste oil and paraffin they burned with a large flickering orange flame and were the standard lamp for marking road works and all the trams had one on board. I have seen fog so thick that the tram could only proceed by the conductor walking ten feet in front on the tracks with a flare. My mother once got lost in the fog for half an hour when going to the shops 200 yards away. Today's 'fogs' are light mist in my book!

Yesterday was dry and at times we had good sun. it struck me how low to the horizon it is at this time of the year. This morning it is perhaps not as cold, it's calm and overcast but dry. The glass is on 1030mb and perhaps just starting to fall. The forecast is for a very boring day, overcast all day but dry. The wind is a constant light WSW breeze and the high is 7C, the low tonight 6C. So nothing happening!
06:45. This morning was a walk in what I call 'Nowt Weather'. No stars, no moon, no wind, no rain and no friendly dogs for Jack to greet. But, iy could be much worse, I suppose we should be grateful!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Thankfully, in the main, the fogs you speak of in times past (probably more accurately smog) are a thing of the past. Certainly in this country although not so in other corners of the planet. Clean Air Act and the move away from more or less everyone burning fossil fuels is the reason we don't suffer from these any longer. I can report however that when I was atop Kinder Scout a couple of weeks ago we had difficulty even seeing our feet for the level of mist which shrouded the summit.
Ian

Return to “Seasons”