Autumn 2016

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Autumn 2016

Post by Stanley »

It was a mixed day yesterday, everything from steady rain to full sun, it was chilly in that wind! Last night at 21:00 the sky was mostly clear with a fresh cold wind that felt as though it might be NW. This morning we had broken cloud, the moon much higher and smaller! Just looked out and there is more overcast. The glass has risen to 1015mb. The forecast is for a dry, bright, overcast day with sunny spells. The wind is a light westerly at the moment but will swing into the NW and give us a cool day, 12C with a low tonight of 7C. For much of the day the wind chill will make it feel colder. It feels as though we are moving gently into November.
07:00. A pleasant dry walk, very little wind and the cloud is breaking up. I've seen a lot worse in October.....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Adelaide. Our weather is being very unpredictable at the moment.
Rain, wind, and cold for a few days then one day of 27C, yesterday we had 13C, today 17C, tomorrow 28C then down again to 16C for Friday and even less for the weekend!! Crazy.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

A beautiful day here in Burnley.
Say only a little but say it well.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It was one out of the bag Moh wasn't it. Not bad for late October.
Last night at 21:00 it was overcast but dry and cool. This morning the sky is mostly clear with a very small high moon easily penetrating high drifts of then cloud. An hour later there is slightly more cloud but it is still thin and well broken. The glass is up slightly at 1017mb. The forecast is a re-run of yesterday. We are promised a dry, bright overcast day with plenty of sun peeping through. One thing I noted particularly yesterday was the power of that sunshine, the upper air must be very clear. The wind will be light and constant all day and mainly from Northern quarters. The theoretical high is 12C and the low tonight 5C, the wind is so slight there will be very little chill. Once again it seems we have a very good late October day and the outlook is for very similar weather.
06:51. A bit of a surprise in the first ten minutes of our walk, there was a gentle drizzle from the overcast which was not in the plan! Nothing serious and it soon stopped. Very dark but we have to get used to that! I've seen worse.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A very acceptable day yesterday. At 21:00 last night the cloud was broken, it was dry and the light wind was an Easterly.First thing this morning it was clear apart from high thin cloud. Just looked outside and the moon is still visible but the overcast a bit thicker. The glass is steady on 1017mb same as yesterday. The forecast is another re-run. A dry bright overcast day with sunny spells. The wind is very light all day, starts in the West but swings about, mainly from the northerly quarter. A bit cooler with a high of 11C and a low tonight of 5C. Virtually no wind chill. Very quiet acceptable weather!
07:00. Back from the butcher's after a dry chilly walk. The overcast is thicker than forecast and at 07:40 it is still not properly light.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It was another acceptable day yesterday. At 21:00 last night there was light broken cloud but mostly clear. It's been a cool night and this morning the moon easily penetrated high thin cloud, same now as I write, dry and virtually calm. The glass is down slightly at 1014mb. The forecast is for a slightly cooler, bright overcast day with a very small chance of occasional light rain. The wind will rise slightly to a moderate ENE breeze which will reduce the theoretical high from 10C to 8C. The low tonight will be 5C again. There is no sign in the outlook for any end to this settled spell of weather. Not bad at all for late October.
06:35. Back home after a pleasant walk on a calm, dry cooler morning. Good job it was calm! It would have been chilly if there had been wind!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Another quiet day. At 21:00 last night we had heavy cloud and a recent light shower. This morning it's 100% overcast but dry. The glass is down again at a shade above 1010mb. The shipping forecast notes gales in the sea areas to the SW of the Isles. The forecast is for a dry, bright but overcast day. There will be a constant moderate NE wind which will drop the theoretical high of 9C to 6C. The overnight low will be 5C. A touch cooler than yesterday. We gradually move into November weather!
06:45. There had been a light shower just before we went out but our walk was dry but cool in the appreciable NE wind. The cloud is breaking, the moon is coming though now and even though it is only a half moon it's casting a shadow. The sky is lightening in the NE and gaps are opening in the cloud so it seems we may get sight of the sun.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was quiet but mixed, we got the whole range from full sun to light rain. At 21:00 last night the sky was clearing with a moderate NE wind and it was dry. Clearer still this morning, I've just had a look outside and it is calm and feels colder, not far off a slight frost. The glass is down slightly at 1009mb. The forecast is for a dry day with bright overcast and some sun. The wind will be a constant light ENE breeze which will drop the theoretical high of 10C by a couple of degrees. The low tonight will be about 5C and at the moment with wind chill we are at around 3C, as I suspected, a bit cooler.... A slight grass frost wouldn't surprise me. I have taken a chance and put the duvet covers in the wash!
06:55. Back after a cool but dry walk. Cloud is broken and the moon and stars peep through but to the NE there are some heavier banks of cloud. No sign of a grass frost but very close to it I think. I've seen worse and will shortly hang a duvet cover out on the line in the back yard!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

When I ventured out to the surgery today I was surprised at how far Autumn has advanced in the last week while I have been tucked up in bed.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We are moving quietly but inexorably towards November Wendy. But at the moment we are in a spell of very kind weather.
A cooler but very acceptable day yesterday, a real bite to the wind. Last night it was dry and the cloud was breaking and this morning it's clear and cold. It feels like about 3C. The glass has risen to 1015mb. The forecast is for a sunny day once the morning mist clears. The wind will be a constant light easterly until late tonight when it will swing into the south and perhaps give us a light shower in the night. The theoretical high is 11C but will never feel warmer than 9C and at times this morning will drop to under 3C with the wind chill. Tonight will be warmer, 8C under the influence of the southerly wind.
06:45. Back from a cool but uneventful walk. Clear sky with a crescent moon.... Can't expect much better in late October, this is as good as it gets!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was a good day. Last night at 21:00 the sky was overcast and it was warmer but still dry. We have had our walk already and it was damp, there is a light mizzle coming out of 100% overcast. One thing I noted yesterday was that the small emitters have been installed on the lamp posts on Skipton Road and some of the new LED street lamps are out. The glass is up slightly at 1017mb. The forecast is for an overcast day with little sight of the sun but hardly any light rain. The moderate SW wind will be constant all day and the high will be 12C with a low of 11C tonight. Milder Atlantic weather!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

Think the people installing the column decorations have inadvertently changed the timeclocks for the street lights Stanley. I've flagged this up with the contractors.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

What a good man!
Not a very exciting day yesterday but one flash of sun at about 11:00! At 21:00 last night it was dry, mild and broken cloud. Same this morning, much milder. The glass is rising steadily, up at 1021mb this morning. The forecast is for a mild, dull and damp day with a chance of mizzle or a light shower at any time. No sun at all! The wind is a constant SW breeze which will gradually increase during the day. The theoretical high is 12C but for most of the time will feel more like 9C with the wind chill. The low tonight will be 11C very similar to last night. A Nowt Day as my mother would have said.
Remember that on Sunday we turn the clocks back an hour......
06:45. We had a dry walk under 100% overcast. A brisk SW wind but it is mild so no problems there. I had my A2 leather jacket on with a padded waistcoat underneath and if I admit it, had a bit too much insulation! But then I'd rather have a light sweat on than be cold. I notice that preparations have been made in the Town Square for the erection of the large emitters.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

The two front beds have been planted with spring bulbs after we moved Bill and Ben last Sunday morning. The cones are due to go in on 6th November...
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I wonder how many people appreciate the work that goes on to maintain our town environment and how much of it is voluntary......
Yesterday was, as promised, a gloomy damp day. At 21:00 last night there was 90% cloud and it was mild. This morning we have a mild wet morning, drizzle first thing and mizzle now.... The glass is up a touch at 1022mb. The forecast is unusual in that at 12C at the moment it's the warmest we will have all day. The rain will cease sometime after 06:00 and for the rest of the day we are promised dry, bright overcast with a constant light westerly wind and virtually no wind chill. The temperature will fall gradually all day and end up in single figures tonight, 9C forecast. Lo0oking at the outlook it seems that we are gradually going to see colder weather coming in with November so no surprise there! One thing that strikes me is how kind the weather has been, no severe weather at all. Long may it continue!
06:45. We were lucky in that the walk to the butcher's was damp but not wet. We only had a bit of mizzle. One thing that strikes me is that despite the clement weather, leaf fall is in full swing. One good frost and a day of wind will strip many of the trees. On the whole, a very acceptable morning for late October.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Not a bad day yesterday and at 21:00 last night it was dry, mild and about 75% cloud. This morning it was damp but not raining, slightly cooler than yesterday, I've just had a look outside and it is calm, mild and 100% overcast. Damp but not actually raining. The glass is on 1028mb, but it's what the met office call a 'dirty high' because it is carrying cloud with it. The forecast is peculiar! We are promised mizzle and fog all day until late tonight when the fog will clear and we might have a light shower. The theoretical high is 12C and the constant very light SW wind will not modify it much. The low tonight is forecast to be 10C so another mild night. Abandon any thoughts of sun or even full daylight today! It looks as though it is going to be gloomy......
06:50. We've had our walk. Calm, damp but not raining and yes, it's misty but I don't call 200 yards visibility fog! I suppose it all depends whether you're driving a fast car or not! One thing caught my attention, two young men sat on a bench in Valley Gardens just after 6AM, engrossed in their mobile phones....some aspects of modern life are way beyond my comprehension. Another group of youths on Albert Road with a big dog running loose with a mouth on it like the Mersey Tunnel.... Not Good!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Lovely day here...short sleeves and sandals...and very warm in the sun.
I have been so busy, haven't had time to look at the weather report ( but I would say 28C)???
Dave mowed the lawns...and needed a big glass of cold water afterwards, whilst the sweat dripped from his nose.
Guest dog found time to leave one more deposit on newly mown lawn before being taken home ( she has been making the most of the lawn because she doesn't have any at home!)
Lovely Day. Summer is coming!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Enjoy it Maz! It's not as bad as the forecast suggested this morning, they gave us the easterly forecast I think. We almost have sun here but out to the east it looks very murky!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We had quite a bright day eventually. At 21:00 the sky was overcast, and it was calm, dry and not cold. This morning we have 100% overcast and it is dry but calm and noticeably cooler. The glass has dropped slightly to 1025mb. The forecast is for another quiet day. Dry, overcast but bright. No sun forecast but on yesterday's evidence we could get a bit later on. The wind is very light, mainly SW or S and the high will be 12C and 9C as a low tonight. very similar to yesterday I suspect. This is very kind weather for late October..... Outlook is for dry weather, gradually getting brighter and colder.
06:20. We were out earlier by the clock and 45 minutes later by the sun but it was still a dark walk, just that the sky was slightly lighter when we got back. A very pleasant walk, Mild, dry, calm and difficult to see how it could be any better at this time of the year.... This and better will do nicely!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was a very quiet day but mild. At 21:00 last night it was dry, calm and overcast but quite mild. The glass is down slightly at just below 1022mb. The forecast is for a dry bright day with full sun much of the time. The very light wind swings round all points of the compass all day and during the sunshine we will have a high of 13C. The low tonight will be 8C. The outlook is for it to get much colder, this is the last of the kind weather days, November is going to give us frost!
06:15. Possibly the last mild weather walk. Dry, calm slightly misty and mild. The forecast shows a big change starting tomorrow.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday turned out really nice in the afternoon, plenty of sun but a hint of cooler weather with it. Last night at 21:00 it was clear, dry and almost calm. Definitely cooler. This morning you couldn't see the sky because we had ground mist but I suspect it was clear because it is much cooler. I've just had a look outside and the mist has gone but we have what I suspect is a thin overcast. The glass is slightly down at a shade below 1020mb. The forecast is for the overcast to persist until about 09:00 with a remote chance of a light shower of rain. The sky will then clear and we will have clear skies with full sun all day and remaining clear during the night. The light NE wind will predominate during the day and perhaps shift into the West late tonight. The high will be 9C and the low tonight 3C. Almost certainly a frost tonight, the first of the winter! (Before anyone criticises me by pointing out that winter doesn't start until December 21st, if it's cold it's winter!. By the way, the Daily Express is promising us heavy snow starting in late November.....)
06:45. We have had a pleasant walk on a dry, cooler morning with very little wind. Noticeable that it is getting light earlier so I think my surmise about the overcast being then is right. However, there is a cooler feel to the weather and the fact that the roads dried so quickly after the early mist shows that they are relatively warm. Looking at the forecast for tomorrow, I have hung the A2 leather jacket up in the wardrobe and brought the Crombie down. I think it is time!
Later at 10:30. We have had our short walk in full sun and shirt sleeves (But with a padded waistcoat!) and it's a lovely morning. What my old farmer friends called a 'brewing day', usually a day when something is brewing up for a change. All the signs of a frost tonight....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nice day yesterday and at 21:00 last night it was cold, dry clear and a light NW wind. This morning first thing it was still clear and a definite frost. I've just looked out and we appear to have overcast, I can't see the stars now. The glass is down slightly on 1019mb. The forecast is for our coldest day so far this back end. It will be dry and bright with a very light west wind. The high will be 7C and the low tonight 2C. The outlook is for this colder weather to continue.....
06:30. Back from a very pleasant walk on a frosty morning. I was fooled by the sky earlier, it's as clear as a bell and it will soon be daylight. Good morning for Jack, scent conditions just right, calm and a dry frost, must be like watching TV in HD as far as he's concerned. Toasty in here as you come back into the house....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was a good day. Last night the sky was almost completely clear, calm and cold. This morning was the same first thing definitely a touch colder. I've just looked outside and got a surprise, we have light mizzle! The glass is down at just below 1016mb. The forecast is for light rain until about 06:00 then dry but overcast until this afternoon when heavier rain is forecast. The culprit appears to be the wind which has swung into the SW. The theoretical high is 7C and the low tonight will be 5C. The outlook forecasts that this is an aberration and we will be back into dry cold weather tomorrow.....
The forecast is very confusing at the moment, they keep talking about mild wet weather. I suspect this is because they are more oriented to the Southern weather. I left our walk until slightly later and avoided the last of the mizzle. No frost but it's cold to your finger ends! Moving into the Crombie was well timed.... Nothing quite like good thick tweed for weatherproofing!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Light mizzle yesterday afternoon and evening. Clear sky at 21:00. Light mizzle again first thing. It's stopped raining and the sky appears to be clearing at the moment. The glass is down with a bump at 1003mb. The forecast is for a mixed day, bright overcast with occasional mizzle but sun as well. The wind is a constant very light SW and the theoretical high is 7C but wind chill will take it down to 4C. The low tonight is forecast to be 3C and the outlook is for it to get more dry and colder. I think the wind will swing into the North tomorrow.
07:00. We had a pleasant walk on a dry morning with clearing cloud and daylight coming in earlier than on some overcast days we have had lately. I smell colder weather......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It was a good day yesterday but strange in that every time I looked out at the weather the roof slates were coloured by a light mizzle.... Last night at 21:00 it was damp but not raining and I think the wind was WNW, broken cloud. This morning it is dry, cold and as far as I can see, a light overcast. The glass is down again at 999mb. The forecast as for a cold, dry bright day despite the low pressure. The wind is as I suspected last night, in the NW. It will be constant and moderate all day reducing the theoretical high of 5C to around freezing all day. The low tonight is forecast to be 1C and the outlook is for even more cold as we go into the next few days. definitely November weather and we are lucky it is dry! (Always look on the bright side of life.....)
06:52. We were out there before 6AM and had a good dry walk but that wind is cruel! I should have had my scarf on. Good to tell it is coming down from the far North! There's some dark clouds coming down from the North but on the whole the sky is clearing. It's cold enough for snow.... Good daylight already which is a bonus.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Seasons”