Winter 2016/17

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Winter 2016/17

Post by Stanley »

It was a good day yesterday and at 21:00 it was still dry and mild but this morning first thing it was raining hard. I've just looked outside and it has bated to a fine drizzle. The glass was falling last night and this morning is on 998mb. The Met Office forecast is AWOL at the moment, I'll try again in a few minutes.
06:30. The Met Office is still AWOL but we've had our walk and the sky is clearing, it has stopped raining and everything is drying rapidly under a brisk mild west wind. My bet is that whilst we may have an odd shower, on the whole we are going to have a mild day with sunny spells. The temperature could easily get to 10C in theory. We shall see how near I am! One thing is certain, it isn't a wintry day. By the way, we had considerable rain last night, Butts Beck is flowing well over the cill of the dam but not a banker.
10:35. We've just had our second walk and as I predicted it's a good day up to press. The sun is breaking through as well.....
15:00. Full sun and a clear sky...... The Met Office is still off line.....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Lovely day yesterday, March at its best! At 21:00 last night it was dry and clear with a moderate mild west wind. This morning first thing it was overcast but dry with a slight breeze. I've just looked out and it is spotting with rain. The glass is up at 1007mb. The forecast is still AWOL, they must have a problem. My guess is a similar day to yesterday with a fresh west wind and perhaps scattered showers but some good sun. (All right, I'm an optimist!)
06:30. Back from a dry walk in good light. Lots of low broken cloud coming on on the brisk NW wind but no actual rain. I suspect this could be the case for much of today and that wind will make it feel cooler than yesterday. This is not a bad March day.... Only one thing worries me a bit, there are lots of gulls wheeling about and they are often a warning of wind and rougher weather.
Later at 14:00. It turned out nice again like yesterday but with less wind. This is still from the NW but I think we may have reached 10C again.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Last night at 21:00 it was dry and cool with broken cloud and a brisk NW wind. First thing this morning it was the same and I caught a glimpse of the moon through the cloud high in the NW. I've just looked out and it might be a bit more overcast and the wind seems to have dropped a bit. The glass has risen and is on 1018mb. The forecast ( I have found out where they hid the redesigned page!) is for a mainly dry but overcast day with the chance of an occasional light shower later. On the form of the last few days I can see it might be brighter than they are forecasting so there is a chance of some sun. The wind is in the process of backing from a light Easterly which is where it settled during the night to a light southerly by 08:00. This is reflected in the high of 10C and the low tonight of 8C, another good March day. The outlook is for very similar weather and it could be brighter and dryer again tomorrow.
We were back home at 06:45 after a very pleasant trip down to the butcher's. It was coming daylight before 06:00 and on an almost calm dry morning walking was a pleasure. It's 07:30 now and we have some very light mizzle at the moment but nothing to speak of. This is good weather and the fact that some of the daffodils are blooming on the Green makes me think that we may have wintered yet again!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We had quite a lot of mizzle and drizzle yesterday but none of it came under the heading of rain. At 21:00 last night we had broken cloud, a light breeze and it was drying. This morning first thing it was the same and currently nothing has changed. The glass is down slightly at 1012mb. The forecast is for an overcast day with the chance of a shower around midday and late tonight but otherwise dry. The light SW wind will be constant until dinnertime when it will gradually back into the east. The high is 9C and the low 8C. We have a full moon tomorrow. This is kind weather for March and anyone who complains about it needs their head feeling! I wonder whether we are heading for another record winter. My mind goes back to the alarmist headlines in the Mail and Express......
06:30. Back from a pleasant walk. Dry, almost calm and mild. Not much more to say, this and better will do!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The forecast was accurate yesterday, a dull day on the whole and we finished up damp later on. At 21:00 it was dry but overcast and damp. First thing this morning it was the same, I've just popped me head out and it's still the same. The glass is down a touch at 1006mb. The forecast is for a brighter day with sunny spells and perhaps the occasional light shower. The wind is constant, moderate and from the west. The High is 10C and the low tonight 4C. Unexciting and mild, good enough for mid March! A full moon tonight......
06:20. The walk was mild with a very light west wind. Not raining but a constant very fine mizzle, so fine you could call it mist. No complaints, I have seen far worse weather than this in March.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Apart from an occasional light shower it was a good day yesterday. Last night at 21:00 it was dry and clear as a bell. This morning is the same and we have a brilliant full moon.

The glass is up at 1019mb. The forecast is for a mainly dry bright day but around midday it may get dull and have a half hearted attempt at mizzle. The wind is a constant moderate WSW giving us a high of 9C and a low tonight of 6C. Nothing exciting but who needs exciting. Once again, a good day for March!
Back in the hutch at 06:00 after an early start. Lovely mid-March morning walk. Couldn't really be better at this time of the year. Calm, dry, not cold and under a very thin overcast with a brilliant full moon. Only one thing sullied the experience. Someone has throw one of the top-stones off the wall to the ground at the top of the Green and loosened some others. Why oh why!!??
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

After a nice day, at 21:00 last night it was dry, overcast and a very light SW wind. This morning first thing it was the same and I have just popped me head out and it's the same and mild at 6C. The glass is up slightly at 1022mb. The forecast is for a dry day apart from the chance of a shower around 08:00/09:00. There will be some sun later. The high will be 10C and the low 6C tonight. The wind is slightly stronger, a moderate SW/W breeze all day. There will be a slight wind chill of course but on the whole this is another good mid-March day and the outlook is similar under the influence of high pressure on the Continent.
06:20. We are back after another pleasant walk. Daylight at 05:45 and by now most of the street lamps switching off. The sky is overcast but it's dry and mild (6C) with a light SW breeze. This and better will do nicely!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good day yesterday, we never reached the dizzy heights of teen temperatures but got into double figures I think. Last night at 21:00 we had a moderate breeze and a clear sky and it was the same first thing this morning. Just popped out to look at the rabbit and we have thin broken overcast with a good moon and perhaps an easterly wind. The glass is up at just over 1026mb, we are under the influence of high pressure to the SW still and it's moving closer. The forecast is for a brighter day with good sun but perhaps light rain this afternoon. The high is 11C and the low 7C and we have a light to moderate WSW wind which will give a wind chill of about 2 degrees. The outlook is for some cooler wetter weather starting tomorrow. Spare a thought for the north of Scotland where there are force 10 storms in northern waters and some snow forecast, Spring is a bit later up there!
06:15. A good early walk. Good light at 05:45, the earliest this year. The sky clearing from the West and as we turned towards home a rosy sky in the East. It doesn't get much better in mid March!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday lived up to the forecast and at 21:00 last night we had a moderate west wind and a clear sky. This morning there was a light overcast first thing but the veiled moon was visible. I've just looked out, the west wind is constant, it's getting daylight and it is overcast but dry. The glass is down to a shade over 2016mb. The forecast is not as good. There is a chance of rain all day, sometimes heavy, during daylight hours but clearing thereafter. The SW or W wind is light to moderate and constant. The high is 9C and the low tonight 3C, a bit cooler. Not as bright a day but nothing to complain about for mid-March.
06:30. Back from a pleasant dry walk.... The main thing that grabbed me was that at 06:00 when we went out it was light enough to switch off the sensors on the street lamps. The forecast gives the possibility of an isolated shower before more general rain comes in. I can believe this because the overcast is broken in some places to show pale blue sky, in others it is dark and threatening. The showers are going to be down to our luck!
PS. I forgot to mention, I shaved my head yesterday. Not sure whether this is a sun or a rain dance!
10:15. We've just had our short walk, dull, overcast and that wind is quite cold.... But it's still dry!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The main feature about yesterday was that the rain never materialised and at 21:00 last night it was dry, clear and cold in a wind that was tending to be from the North. This morning first thing we had broken cloud with stars and a good moon and a definite WNW wind making it feel a lot colder. Two hours later it is overcast and has just started raining. The glass is down to 1010mb and falling. The forecast is I fear putting us on the wrong side of the Pennines because it says it will be dry until 08:00 and then solid rain for the rest of the day, it also gives the wind direction as WSW. It was definitely WNW when I could see the clouds in the moonlight at 3AM and feels like that now. The give-away is the wind chill, the high and low are both 7C but the wind chill is 4 or 5 degrees all day giving us near 0C. The wind will increase all day and be a strong breeze. This feels more like a February day and isn't reminding us that Spring is near!
16:35. Back indoors after a cold wet walk to the butcher's. I don't care what the Met Office says, that brisk wind is north of west and very cold when you are walking into it. It's due to strengthen during the day. It's a bad day for working outside and my sympathies are with them!
15:30. It was bad enough at 10:00 but I've just been lying in bed snug as a bug in a rug listening to the rain lashing onto the north facing windows..... This is not a SW wind!!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Here is a nice little bit of folklore for you.

This morning we've got heavy rain and it is thundering, the thunder echoing around the mountains. It's the first thunder of Spring. My wife said "the snake awakens." Apparently "the snake" (lightning) hibernates through winter and awakens in Spring. It is very hungry and has a voracious appetite after sleeping the winter months in its hole, so the farmers must be very careful as they go about their work in the fields and hills.

Superstitions with perhaps a foundation in past events.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Tell her I like that! I like thunderstorms as well.....
We have rain still but light and I think the wind may be more of a westerly. Last night at 21:00 it was still raining. The glass is down again to 997mb. The forecast is a bit better. Light rain until about 06:00 then sunshine and showers all day but rain returning this evening. The wind is a constant moderate westerly. The high is 10C and the low 8C so it's a bit warmer as well.
06:40. Back in after our walk. Light mizzle and a moderate breeze but it's mild, nowhere near as cold as yesterday. Lots of water coming down Butts Beck, we have had a fair dose of rain yesterday and last night. I've seen worse in March.......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I have to report that the sunny spells forecast yesterday never happened, I don't think the fine mizzle stopped for long, certainly the roof slates were wet all day. We had drizzle and a light west wind last night at 21:00 and at 3AM this morning it was the same. I've just popped me head out and no change, still drizzling! The glass is rose very slightly yesterday but has fallen back now to 996mb. The forecast is dead simple.... Rain all day until 19:00 and then clearing. A constant moderate WSW wind and a high of 10C and a low of 7C tonight. The outlook is for drier weather with mild days but colder at night, possibility of frost.
06:30. Back after a genuine copper-bottomed lousy wet morning walk in full wet weather gear. I'm dry but Jack had an early bath. He's been well rubbed down and is feeling no pain. Butts beck is running a full banker, discoloured water coming over the cill solid a foot deep. The ground is sodden with standing water and the puddles are full to the brim. In short, it's wet!! (One hopeful sign, always look on the bright side.... the glass has started to rise.)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Winter is officially over at 10.28am this morning so this topic is now locked.

A new Spring topic can be found on the link below:

Spring 2017
Ian

Return to “Seasons”