Winter 2016/17

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Winter 2016/17

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday turned out nice at the start but a bit damp for the rest of the day. Last night at 21:00 it was overcast, a light breeze and damp. This morning was the same first thing but we have light rain as I write. The glass is rock solid on a shade under 1021mb. The forecast is for a foggy damp morning and a brighter overcast afternoon and evening. The high is 9C and the low 6C. There will be a constant very light wind starting westerly but soon swinging into the south and varying between SSW and SSE all day. Negligible wind chill and the same forecast but wetter for tomorrow. This is kind weather if a bit gloomy......
We were back from the butcher's before 07:00 after a pleasant walk, almost calm, heavy overcast but dry and very mild for the time of year. Coming back, even though the cloud was thick, you could see the sky lightening in the East. One of the best things about this time of year is the gradual return of daylight in the mornings and evenings. Not long since, on an overcast day, it was dark enough at 15:00 hours to trigger the street lights some days. There is hope for us yet!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was a very kind day and at 21:00 last night it was calm, overcast, dry and mild. It was almost clear first thing but is slightly more cloudy now but the moon is peeping through the clouds, dry, calm and mild. The glass is down slightly at 1017mb. The forecast is for a cloudy day with a spell of rain at dawn and then more general rain from 14:00 onwards for the rest of the day. The high is 9c and the low 6C. The wind starts very light from the SW and gradually increases all day particularly in the afternoon when the rain comes in. Could feel wet and windy! Still a very kind winter's day, don't complain!
Back in by 06:05. I wasn't taking any chances of getting caught in a rain shower! Very mild, calm, dry and the moon occasionally peeping through a small break in the clouds. This and better will do!
11:00. We've just been out for our late morning walk and it looks as though, as is so often the case, the Met Office gave us the Western version of the weather when what we have is in fact the Eastern. It's a lovely morning with full sun and almost balmy!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday beat the forecast and was on the whole sunny and dry. At 21:00 last night it was calm dry and mild. This morning first thing it was damp after a recent shower, broken cloud, almost calm and mild. I've just looked out and it's still the same. The glass is back a bit at 1014mb. The forecast is for a uniformly overcast day with a chance of light rain at almost any time. The wind is moderate, constant and SW. The high is 8C and the low tonight 8C also. There will be a 3 or 4 degree wind chill all day. It remains to be seen whether this is a western biased forecast or an eastern one. On the evidence of the past few days I suspect it will be the former and we could have a brighter day than the Met Office says..... Whatever, it is still kind weather for late February!
06:20. Back in after a pleasant dry walk round a deserted town. The wind is quite cool when you get the full benefit but not what you'd call cold. This is good weather which is helping Winter along nicely!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

SKY News have just described today's weather as a 'heat wave' with temperatures expected to be in double figures. Seems it 's coming from the Carribean. Lucky us. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sounds Southern-centric to me David. That wind yesterday was cold! The forecast was accurate about the light rain later on, at 21:00 we had it and early this morning as well. Still the same now, no more than light mizzle but it still wets you! The glass is falling a bit more quickly now, it is down to 1011mb this morning. The forecast is for this to persist until 11:00 when it will develop into heavier rain which will be with us until nightfall when the clouds will become more broken. The high is 10C and the low 5C however there is going to be a strong westerly wind all day that will give a wind chill of 3 or 4C all day. In its favour, this is Atlantic weather, what I am always looking out for at this time of year is that East wind that can set in and hold back soil temperature. We are still having kind weather for late February!
06:35. We were lucky, the mizzle stopped as we went out for our walk. So, a dry, mild walk with a serious wind when you came out of the shelter of the buildings. This and better will do!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It was dry most of yesterday but a damp ending. At 21:00 last night we had a brisk west wind and a clear sky. This morning it is still dry but overcast with a light west wind. The glass is steady on 1010mb. The forecast is for a bright day with sunny intervals and a light west wind until noon but then the W wind will strengthen, the temperature will rise and we are promised rain for the rest of the day. Unusually we start the day with the low of 6C and end with the high of 10C under the influence of the wind which will become quite strong later tonight. This looks like March weather!
06:25. A cheerful walk this morning, dry, a brisk and not too cold West wind. Breaking clouds, the crescent moon visible and faint colours of dawn in the East by 06:15. I know we have stronger warmer winds and heavy rain forecast later but this is promising weather! It makes you feel as though winter is definitely retreating!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

It's a mighty wild night out, the wind is rattling the back fence and the rain is battering the windows. Is this the beginning of Storm Doris?
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Just got home from the history society meeting down in Earby, not a pleasant night to be out. Wind speeds over 50mph.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It was wet and windy at 21:00 last night. Still raining here this morning but less wind. The glass telling the tale, down to 998mb this morning. The forecast is quite good, the rain stops any time and we should have a bright overcast day with some sun this morning and no significant rain. The wind will be a constant brisk westerly until late tonight when it drops, swings into the South and we get rain again. Mild, a high of 7C and a low tonight of 5C. Tomorrow will be wet and windy but no mention of the snow they were warning about yesterday.
06:20. Surprisingly dry underfoot considering it was raining until just before 5AM. My rain gauge in Butts, Corn Mill Dam, tells me that there was considerable rain during the night, a strong flow over the cill. What grabbed me this morning was the complete removal of the shrubs between the bus shelter and Forester's Buildings. This has completely altered the look of this corner and I think is an improvement as long as you aren't waiting for a bus and enjoying the shelter from the West wind! The pavement is now clear!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The 'weather bomb. on Thursday, storm Doris, was short and savage. The glass fell to 970mb and we had a short spell of strong wind in the afternoon but nowhere near as bad as other parts of the country. Yesterday the main feature was the cold NW wind but at 21:00 last night it had subsided. This morning the glass is on 1000mb and it's dry and windy but not too cold. We've had our walk and it was dry and quite mild, the wind feels like a westerly. Only thing I noted of interest was a car with two flat nearside tyres in Church Street, doesn't look natural to me! The cloud is broken at the moment.
The forecast is for the broken cloud to end before 09:00 to be replaced by 100% cloud and significant rain all day. The wind is a stiff SW and the high will be 9C with 5C as a low tonight. That's about it!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday stuck strictly to the script, it turned out wet! This morning first thing it was breezy, overcast and light rain, it is the same now but appears to be drying up a bit, not actually raining. The glass is down slightly at 996mb. The forecast is for a generally dry overcast day with clear spells but interrupted in the early afternoon by a spell of significant rain. The wind is a stiff SW breeze all day with a theoretical high of 9C and a low of 3C, the wind chill will never let us feel better than 4C and getting colder until tonight it will feel like 0C. The outlook is for it to cool slightly and the Shipping Forecast gives violent storms in Northern waters, a very vigorous depression is tracking NE up the West coast and dominating the weather out to the West and North. March could be coming in like a lion!
06:50. We have had a dry pleasant walk under breaking overcast. The wind is drying everything up nicely and it needs it, there is standing water in the flower beds in Valley Gardens. The Corn Mill Dam tells me that the ground is sodden, a very healthy flow over the cill. The main thing about this morning is that despite the overcast, at 06:15 when we went out it was definitely coming light and by the time we got to Valley Gardens it was light enough to take the inside path that isn't lit so we avoid it in winter. I see there are two new forms there. By the time we got back to the Town Square the street lights were turning off. This is such a milestone! There is hope for us yet!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Once again an accurate forecast yesterday, it was wet all evening and at 21:00 we still had rain on a brisk SW wind. First thing this morning it was the same and I have just popped out and unlike yesterday when the rain ceased around this time, it is still raining. The glass is down sharply to 983mb. The forecast is for this rain to cease about now but return around mid morning and be persistent until well into the afternoon when it will abate and become scattered showers for the rest of the day. The theoretical high is 5C and the low tonight 0C. From noon onwards it will get noticeably colder as the moderate breeze swings from the SW to West and later tonight the wind chill will take us down to -3C. It's a typical late February day! It strikes me that it could be cold enough for any rain to fall as snow on the tops later today. Wendy could be white again!
06:35. A cold wet walk. The ground is sodden and the beck in Butts is roaring over the cill of the Corn Mill dam. I've seen it higher but not much. 'February fill dyke black or white' is having a last crack at us!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Julie in Norfolk
Regular User

Post by Julie in Norfolk »

The weather forecast on radio 4 this morning was "wherever you are in Britain today, expect anything," that was followed with an immediate withdrawal with regard to plagues of locusts. I am looking nervously out of the window wondering if I can get to the car......
Measure with a micrometer, mark with a pencil, cut with an axe.
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Adelaide. We are having another heatwave. It's high 30C's for the next week for us.
It's 4am at the moment, 28C , and I have just opened the front door to get some more air and hopefully a cool breeze.... : :cool4:
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Hot in Perth as well Cathy.
We had a decent day yesterday but it finished with cold rain late last night. This morning we have sleet and ice showers. The glass is down at 975mb. The forecast is for bright overcast until 14:00 when we get heavier rain but there are also warnings of icy roads and sleet and snow. It looks as though we are getting the Eastern version at the moment with white roofs! The theoretical high is 4C and the low 1C but with the wind chill from the brisk SW wind it is about -4C at the moment and will never get above 0C all day. The wind will be in the NW later. February is giving us a last nasty farewell!
06:50.We have had a cold walk on a frosty morning. The early sleet and ice showers have stopped, the skies are clearing and it was coming light at 06:15. The downside is that any untreated surface (and this includes roofs and cars) that got the showers are now crusted with ice. This means that some pavements are very slippy and getting worse so take care! If you are in the wind it bites your ears!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The icy condition first thing yesterday cleared away quickly and we had some strong sunny spells (there is heat in that sun now!) up to dinnertime and then it turned showery and colder for the rest of the day. At 21:00 last night the rain and wind had dropped and we had a clear sky. This morning first thing it was the same but I've just popped me head out and it seems to be overcast, difficult to tell because even as early as this the sky is brightening in the East, a hopeful sign! The glass is up on 988mb. The forecast is for a brighter drier day with sunny intervals and perhaps an occasional light shower until 20:00 tonight when a band of rain is expected and as it gets colder, could give some snow during the night. The theoretical high is 5C and the low tonight 0C, the wind chill from the light to moderate SW breeze will keep us at 0C or below even in the best of the sunshine. Not a bad day for the first day of March but wrap up warm!
06:35. A very cheerful walk because we have reached the tipping point where dawn is breaking at 06:00! It makes such a difference. As yesterday we have a sharp frost making untreated surfaces slippy and giving white frost on cars and roofs. Not as cold as yesterday and only a problem where pavements are exposed to the wind chill. It's noticeable that the removal of the shrubs round the bus stop has made the pavement there more liable to ice up. I note that the street lamp mounted on a house wall between Church Street and the old Pigeon Club has been replaced with a bright new LED one. Ironically on the first morning that daylight made it superfluous! It's a good day but wrap up well.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Not a bad day yesterday but occasional showers. At 21:00 it was cold, dry and a clear sky with a light breeze. This morning it's drizzle but not cold. The glass is steady at just above 988mb. The forecast is for a dry bright day with good sunny spells one this drizzle has cleared in the next hour. The theoretical high is 6C and the low is 3C but as always at this time of year the constant moderate west wind will chill us down to close to 0C. So, enjoy the light and the sun but wrap up warm! (As long as that wind stays out of the East! I watch it like a hawk at this time of the year.)
06:30. It was still raining when I was getting ready to go out for our walk so I put full wet weather gear on. As soon as I got out of the door the rain stopped, as per the forecast! Good for Jack of course but it's such a job putting waterproof legs on! My other surprise is the quantity of water coming over the Corn Mill dam in Butts. It must have started raining after 21:00 last night and it shows in the flow, the size of the puddles and the state of the ground, it is sodden. Still we can look forward to some sun today!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday turned out to be a decent if cold day. It was dry, apart from occasional light showers, until evening when more general rain set in. At 21:00 last night it was breezy with cold light rain. This morning it is overcast and cold but dry at the moment. The glass is on 995mb and falling after rising yesterday to almost 1000mb. The forecast is for a dry overcast morning but around noon the weather will change and gradually become wet for the rest of the day. The wind at the moment is in a southerly quarter but will back into a moderate easterly later this morning and this is what signals the change to wet weather. The theoretical high is 6C and the low 4C. East winds are usually dry but this one brings in rain. I don't like East winds at this time of year!
We were back home before 07:00 after a pleasant walk down to the butcher's. A cold wind but dry and light. Things could be worse! One thing that cheered me is that the three drifts of Crocuses on the Green are in flower, a lovely sign that things are stirring!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

First try at adding a picture. It's been a good year for snowdrops.
PICT0058.JPG
PS not 100% sure how I did that :smile: but there it is.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Well done Tripps, it expands to native size with two clicks as well, first one takes it to the size set for images in posts and the second up to native size.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It's easier than the gallery actually. Thanks for the two click info Ian, I didn't realise that happened!
Yesterday was as per the forecast, bright and sunny until late afternoon then significant rain for most of the night. Overcast but dry this morning. The glass has fallen to 980mb. The forecast is for a dry overcast day until nightfall when we could have some local showers. The light wind is in the South and will stay there all day with only a slight wind chill giving us a high of 8C and a low tonight of 3C so a mild day. This is good March weather and I'm glad to see the east wind wasn't serious!
06:45. Back home after a very pleasant walk. What's not to like about a morning when it's coming light as you step out of the back door! It's almost calm and the clouds are breaking nicely, it might be brighter than forecast shortly. The first thing that caught my attention was a pair of flowered knickers laid in the car park..... nothing more forlorn than abandoned knickers.... Then, in Valley Gardens I saw the first early blossom on some of the shrubs, such a pleasure to see further signs that we may have wintered!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Stanley wrote: 04 Mar 2017, 04:49 It's easier than the gallery actually. Thanks for the two click info Ian, I didn't realise that happened!
Off Topic
It will only happen if the native size is quite large, yours probably won't as I know you resize to the more or less what the default is for posts
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm allowing myself a 50% increase in size to 1200dpi now Ian. Even easier than the Gallery and nobody is interested in old Shed Pics! Luckily we have a lot of the archival images in the gallery already.
Yesterday was brighter than they forecast and the rain come in late at night. At 21:00 it was a broken sky but rain in the air. This morning we have heavy cold rain at the moment. The glass is rock steady on 980mb. The forecast is for the rain to cease in the next hour or so and for it to be dry but overcast until late morning when rain will come in and be constant until nightfall. The high is 6C and the low 2C. The wind is a fresh southerly but later today will back into the west. The outlook is for drier warmer weather. Very encouraging!
06:30. Another pleasant walk. The forecast was correct, the rain has ceased and the sky is clearing. Enough light to see even at 06:00 and the wind while brisk and cool is not what you'd call cold. It's a good morning for March!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Once more, the day was brighter than forecast and the rain come in on schedule later in the day. At 21:00 last night it was mild, almost a clear sky (the half moon was clearly visible) and dry. This morning first thing it was more overcast but still drying. I've just popped my head out and we have very light drizzle and almost calm. The glass is up at just over 992mb. The forecast is for a dry bright day with insignificant rain. The high is 8C and the low 2C. The wind at the moment is very light and variable, swinging all round the compass but it will settle down as a light westerly for the rest of the day. March can be a variable month but it looks as though our luck during the winter is keeping up. This is kind weather and we should bear it in mind. The next full moon is in six days and you know my theory about weather changes at that time.....
06:20. A very pleasant walk, calm, dry, breaking cloud and early light. Add a perfectly behaved dog,no pain and easy breathing and what's not to like? Things could be a lot worse!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Once again it was a nice day yesterday with a rising glass. At 21:00 the cloud was broken, it was dry with a light West wind and we had a half moon and stars visible. It was the same this morning first thing and at the moment the sky is clear with good light coming in from the East. The glass is still rising and is up at a shade below 1008mb. The forecast is for a dry bright day until last thing tonight. The wind is a very light and constant westerly until last thing when it will swing into the south and bring in rain. The high is 7C and the low 5C, it will feel cooler in the wind but on current experience it will be brighter than the forecast so a good day for March! The outlook is to remain dry and get warmer, looks promising.
06:40. A good walk on a cool dry morning with good light and a clear sky. There is a slight grass frost but this only improved the walk. I like this weather!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Seasons”