Winter 2016/17

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Winter 2016/17

Post by Stanley »

It was a very acceptable bright day yesterday but colder. This morning we had a clear sky but no frost as there was a moderate breeze. I've just poked me head out and no change but perhaps a bit colder, very close to freezing. The glass started rising last night and is at 1025mb now. The forecast is for a cold clear day with full sun. The temperature will fall to below freezing as it comes light and will never get to more than 2C all day, the low tonight will be 0C. The wind is NE at the moment but during the day will back round through north and settle later in the day as a westerly, very light but a pronounced wind chill, never above freezing and getting below -4C at times so wrap up well! It will be light until after 16:00 which is nice.
06:30. We've had a bracing walk on a dry, clear morning. The wind is starting to rise a bit but the main thing I noticed was that inside an hour, we had a sharp frost. There was no frost on the cars in the street at 04;00 and even later but when we went out half an hour ago there was heavy ice on them and particularly on the cars exposed to the wind on the Pioneer car park. The untreated pavements on this side of town are icy and I don't think the Council have gritted so watch out for icy patches on the roads. The funny thing is that as we turned into Valley Gardens, normally a frost trap, we lost the frost and on Church Street the cars had water on them but no ice. I think this will change over the next hour and the forecast gives as low as -4C in the next couple of hours because of the wind chill..
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Not a bad day at all yesterday but bitterly cold in that wind. Last night at 21:00 it was dry, breezy and cold with broken cloud. This morning it looks the same and despite the breeze it feels as though we are on the verge of a frost. The glass has dropped slightly to 1021mb. The forecast is for an overcast day with a chance of very light rain all day but I suspect we shall see very little. The theoretical high is 5C and the low tonight 3C but the constant brisk westerly breeze will chill us down to near freezing or below all day. Another day for wrapping up warm!
06:25. Back from a dry, breezy walk. That wind feels more north than west to me and is bitter but no frost. The cloud is breaking. Still the same advice, wrap up well, this is Crombie and scarf weather!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We had the occasional bit of mizzle but otherwise yesterday was dry but cold. At 21:00 last night it was damp and a strong cold breeze. This morning it is calmer and cold but no frost. The glass is down slightly at 1017mb. The forecast is for the overcast to clear and by 09:00 we should have clear skies for the rest of the day. The forecast high is 5C and the low tonight -3C. The main feature of the day is that as the sky clears it will get progressively colder, not helped by the constant light NW wind. Allowing for the wind chill it's around 5C now but by late tonight it will feel like -4C. So once again, wrap up warm!
07:00. Back from a mild walk in dry conditions. Almost calm but still 100% overcast. This and better will do.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Winter? We have a couple of 'pinks' flowering and a couple of flowers on our forsythia!
Say only a little but say it well.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Doesn't surprise me Moh!
Yesterday was overall a nice day. At 21:00 last night it was dry, a moderate NW breeze and breaking cloud, the half moon was visible for the first time for a while. This morning the sky is clear with a light wind but no frost yet. The glass has risen to a shade over 1027mb. The forecast says we have a frost at the moment. It gives a clear sky with full sun until sunset when the overcast will come on. The high is 3C and the low tonight -1C. The wind is very light and variable and from the southern quarter all day. Despite the direction it will give us a wind chill down to -3C all day apart from when the sun is shining when it will rise to the dizzy height of 1C! A good day!
06:45. A bracing walk, dry, calm, a clear sky and the forecast was correct, we now have a sharp frost. Healthy weather!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was a good bright day but cold. Last night at 21:00 it was cold, dry and a very light overcast that hid the stars bit allowed the bright half moon to look lovely with its halo! This morning it's dry at the moment but as far as I can see, overcast. It's cold but no frost. The glass is rock steady on 1027mb, same as yesterday. The forecast is for a gloomy day with a slight chance of a light shower until late morning and then heavier rain for the rest of the day. The wind at the moment is a light SW breeze and this will be constant all day in direction but strengthening to a brisk breeze later in the morning. The forecast high is 5C and the low tonight is 4C but the wind will chill us to below freezing until this afternoon when it will rise slowly. Not an exciting day but it could be worse, this is January after all!
We were back home before 07:00 after a dry walk on an almost calm morning. The overcast is there but as yet hasn't dropped any rain on us. All I have is a housekeeping note that I forgot yesterday.... I see the vandalised litter bin at the bottom of the steps from Cooperative Street into the Pioneer car park has been replaced by one on the adjacent lamp standard, the dog bin nearest the bus shelter on the Green is still not fixed into the ground....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

40C here.
Hot and horrible. Same expected tomorrow...
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

We are expecting the temp to drop to 28C at 3am ( whoppie... not!) and then up to 41C tomorrow.
There will be a lot of air-cons humming overnight, or front and back doors left open.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Courage, it's 24C this morning in Perth.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday developed into a wet and warmer day. Last night at 21:00 we had thin cloud racing across a bright moon with a halo and the wind seemed to be from the NW. This morning first thing we had damp flags but it was dry and the cloud broken, some stars visible. I've just checked and it is calm and more overcast as I write. The glass dropped to 1025mb yesterday evening and has been rock solid on that all night. The forecast is a funny one, overcast and foggy all day with a chance of a bit of mizzle at any time. The wind is very light, westerly and constant all day giving a wind chill of 1C all day on a forecast 7C and a low of 5C tonight. Not a lot going on!
06:20. Not a lot to report! A dry walk, calm, overcast and patchy 'fog'. More like mist I reckon so I looked up the Met Office definition of fog. Here's what I found..... "The official definition of fog is a visibility of less than 1,000 m. ... Severe disruption to transport occurs when the visibility falls below 50 m. Useful labels for these three categories are aviation fog, thick fog and dense fog." So, in their terms, this mist could develop into fog.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was gloomy with fog and mizzle. At 21:00 last night we had broken cloud and a lovely moon with a halo again. First thing this morning it was damp, almost calm, mild and overcast, the same now. The glass has risen a touch and is rock solid on 1026mb. The forecast is almost exactly the same as yesterday, overcast all day, chance of fog early and mizzle for the rest of the day. The light WSW breeze will be constant all day. The forecast high is 8C and the low tonight 7C. We have a full moon on Thursday and once again, that's the day when this spell of settled weather will change and it will become much colder.
06:35. An uneventful walk. No moon, no fog this morning but no rain either. The overcast seems to be breaking up a bit. Otherwise a very acceptable January walk!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The fog came down on us later in the day, you couldn't see Coates from our back street so I suppose it qualified.... Last night at 21:00 it was 100% overcast, a light wind and not actually raining. This morning there is no fog but it is damp and overcast but not actually raining. The glass is moving, it is down with a bump to 1013mb. The forecast is for a wet morning and then sunny spells and scattered showers until late tonight when more general rain will set in again. The wind is going to be quite a stiff breeze and constant from the SW and West all day. The theoretical high is 8C and the low tonight 3C but the stiff breeze will give us a wind chill of perhaps 4C all day and it will feel below freezing from nightfall onwards. The outlook is still for a change to colder conditions on Thursday with the full moon but not as cold as the more alarmist newspapers are forecasting.
06:20. Back from a dry walk. A mild morning but that wind chilled things down a bit! Still overcast......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was exactly as per the forecast, a very nasty wet spell mid morning and brightening up after noon but getting colder, the rain came back in later at night. At 21:00 it was damp but not raining with broken cloud and a stiff, very cold, west wind. This morning first thing it was cold and raining and it's the same as I write. The shipping forecast is giving severe gales and storms in Northern areas as a new low forms over Fair Isle. The glass continued to fall yesterday and this morning has fallen to 999mb, not good.... The forecast is for a cooler day with rain expected almost all day. The theoretical temperature actually rises during the day to 7C and the low tonight 4C but the wind chill from the stiff, constant west wind will drop this to around 2C all day. The picture for tomorrow and Thursday is one of falling temperatures as the violent winds in the north affect us and our wind direction become more northerly. Thursday is also a full moon.....

06:30. I took no chances, I did a full cold wet weather rug-up, legs and all and of course it stopped raining as soon as we set off! No worries, better for Jack and I was warm and dry. The wind is seriously cold when it hits you especially if you have rain on your face and ears. On the whole I think we Crumblies (and ageing horses as well!) are going to be better off in the stable today.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I've put the ageing ponies out this morning with their waterproofs on, they will be fine. Tomorrow though, they can stay indoors. :smile: Sparky, whose teeth aren't brilliant, is struggling to eat his hay at the moment so I'm keen for him to get a bit of grass inside him. (Dental visit from vet booked later in the month!)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Poor lad! Bran mash?
I kept indoors yesterday, it was not a nice day! At 21:00 last night there was a west wind and broken cloud but not raining and milder than the night before. First thing this morning it was windy and hard cold rain, the rain has ceased now but the wind is still gusty. Earlier this morning we had some very violent gusts, loud enough to waken me. The glass rose slightly yesterday afternoon but has fallen again this morning to almost 997mb. The forecast is for an interesting day! Only a small chance of a shower just as it gets light, otherwise dry. The main feature of the day is the very strong West wind which will gust to around 55mph at times. The theoretical temperature at the moment is 8C but with a big wind chill. The low tonight is forecast as 1C but on the ground the picture is of falling temperatures all day. As dawn breaks we will feel like -1C and it will be -3C all day after that. Tomorrow is colder and a good chance of snow. Deep joy!
06:40. Back after a windy walk, it may be 5C but it was cold enough to give me face ache! I had full protection, more skins on that an onion so Was warm enough. It was dry until we were on the last lap of the walk when we were hit by a nasty shower,enough to warrant rubbing Jack down with a towel when we got back. But on the whole, I have had much worse at this time of the year.
10:15. We've just had our later short walk and that wind is cruel.... a spatter of rain as well together with a brief look at the sun from the south. Only one more trip out, to see the Diabetes Nurse.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

We had gusts up to 70mph overnight and during the day today, it's still battering the house. No damage to report though.
I have increased Sparky's feed to make up for the hay he is leaving uneaten. They get a feed called Happy Hoof which is a mix of chopped straw, alfalfa, grass, garlic and herbs. I mix that with a sloppy mix of unmolassed sugar beet pulp which he could suck up if he had no teeth!
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Even the poor horse gets fed Garlic.

We went out for dinner last week and will never go to the place again. The waitress made all efforts to check with the Chef that our meals would not contain garlic...but they did. Hubby sent his entree back, but didn't want to make any more fuss when his main meal had garlic dressing and garlic crumbed prawns on the plate, so he just pushed his uneaten dinner aside. When the waitress came to collect the plates she didn't know what to say.
We spent as much on that horrible meal as we do on groceries every week. Not going there again!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Maz, commiserations. You shouldn't have paid!
We had strong winds all day and at 21:00 last night it was still strong and very cold under broken cloud. Overnight it cleared, a good full moon, less wind but a spatter of rain this morning. The glass is up slightly at 1001mb. The forecast is for a cold and wintry day. An early walk is indicated as we can expect rain/snow from 06:00 to early afternoon and then again this evening at 20:00. The wind is west and still a stiff breeze but it will moderate all day. The high is 2C and the low -1C, the wind chill will get increasingly colder all day starting at -3C and ending up at -6C later tonight. Wrap up well!
05:45. We went out early because I trust the forecast and they said rain/snow coming in at 06:00. So we've had a brisk walk on a cold morning, light wind and 100% overcast but the moon could be seen veiled by the cloud so it's not thick. Dry, no sign of rain or snow and so we are back indoors and it can do what the hell it wants....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

It's been sleeting here for a couple of hours now but nothing is settling, it is all white another hundred feet up the hill though.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Update: It has been snowing heavily since my last post, we are now in a white world.
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

We had a heavy snow shower earlier but it has gone now. We did our shopping a day earlier in case of snow - so as Stanley says 'we shall not starve'.
Say only a little but say it well.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

8:15pm and we've had a dusting...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

21:00 last night. Same this morning and a very hard frost. The glass has dropped during the night but is trying to rise, it's at just over 995mb at the moment. The forecast is what you might call wintry! No more snow forecast until later tonight and generally a bright day with some sun. The theoretical high is 2C and the low tonight -2C but the real story of the day is the wind chill from the brisk NW and W wind, the best we can hope for is -3c and it will get down to -7C. At the moment that feels optimistic! Clear sky with a brilliant full moon. It will be slippy underfoot, be very careful!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

So I take it that Sir will be going for the thicker long johns today, with the vest tucked in?
Nice pic. I can imagine all the neighbours, snug in their beds.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

No change in dress Maz, I was already rugged up but I shall be taking very short strides this morning as I go down to the butcher's. It's just the right combination to make it horrible under foot.
Just heard the shipping forecast and one feature is a warning of very high seas on the North Sea coast, some flooding expected. The weight of the band of snow coming down from the North seems to be over on the East side of the Isles. It looks as though we are being lucky in that respect. Same applies to the worst of the gale force wind.
07:00. We were back home after a perfectly horrible walk down to the butcher's. Apart from the expected hazard of the slippery pavements, I suspect that we are getting the Eastern version of the weather this morning because we had an unscheduled heavy snow shower and at the same time the wind was strong. As if that wasn't enough the wind is quite definitely not a westerly, it's coming straight out of the NW! The effect was a walking snowman as the snow clung to my thick tweed Crombie overcoat and acute face ache from the cold. Deep Joy! Luckily, by the time I came out of the butcher's the snow had stopped and the wind dropped significantly, and what's more it was on my back. I'm glad to be back inside and I pity anyone who has to be out in it or the poor beggars on the East Coast who are being evacuated from their homes because of the tidal surge expected to over-top the flood defences unless the wind drops significantly which isn't very likely.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Seasons”