Winter 2016/17

Tripps
VIP Member

Re: Winter 2016/17

Post by Tripps »

Snowing steadily as I speak.
So they weren't bluffing. I think we're safe from the storm surge here though. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

We had a covering last night but no more today, very cold though.
Say only a little but say it well.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The snow very gradually thawed as the day went on but the wind chill was savage. At 21:00 it was dry, 50% cloud and a cold west wind. This morning the snow has gone from the back street and been replaced by shot ice. The glass is up with a bump at 1010mb. The forecast is for a bright clear day with good sunshine. No significant snow or rain. The High will be 3C and the low tonight 2C. The constant WNW wind will start moderate and slowly abate to light during the day. The wind chill will make it feel as cold as -4C all day, never above freezing so wrap up well!
06:40. Back after our walk. No problems with the wind or the cold but the serious matter was that except for the main road surface and the grass, all the other surfaces were treacherous. No frost on the cars, it seems to be yesterday's frost coming out of the ground. Whatever, with trolleys in corridors in mind, I was extremely careful! I'm glad we are back and I hope it is better later this morning.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Julie in Norfolk
Regular User

Post by Julie in Norfolk »

Following the Environment Agency warnings for those on the coast in Norfolk and Essex, I was pleased to learn that our house is 41 meters above sea level. That makes us at just about 1/4 the height of Blackpool Tower. Our Yarmouth based employees were twitchy at work yesterday, a lot of them are Eastern European and did not really understanding what was going on. Photographs of sandbagged front doors being shared with each other.
Measure with a micrometer, mark with a pencil, cut with an axe.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The ice underfoot thawed by dinnertime and we had a pleasant day. Last night at 21:00 it was 50% overcast, dry and milder. This morning it's raining. The glass rose a touch yesterday but has fallen back now to just below 1015mb. The forecast is dead simple, it will rain all day and when it doesn't it will be damp, gloomy and misty, deal with it! It will be milder, 8C as a high and 6C as a a low tonight. The light to moderate breeze will be all over the place between NW and SE, take your pick! There will be some wind chill but never below freezing. Funny weather!
06:35. Back in the hutch... Very mild, not a lot of wind and only light rain so things could have been worse. My rain gauge in the Butts and the condition of the ground underfoot tell me that there has been quite a lot of rain during the night. On the whole I have seen worse and my visitors from Newcastle on Tyne will have no problems driving down here.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was drier than forecast and very mild. Last night at 21:00 it was mild, a light breeze, dry and broken cloud. This morning first thing it was wet underfoot but not raining with a light breeze and 100% overcast. I've just looked outside and it is still the same but there has been a recent light shower. The class is up slightly at 1020mb. The forecast is again very simple. We will have a mild day, 100% overcast with mist this morning and occasional rain perhaps this afternoon but only light showers. The high is 8C and the low tonight 6C with hardly any wind chill because the wind will be very light all day varying between WSW and NW. So another quiet day with no extremes. This kind weather for mid-January and it makes you wonder what happened to the scare stories about bitter Arctic weather we were confidently promised by the more lurid papers!
06:45. Back home after a completely uneventful walk on a damp, but not raining. mild morning with hardly and wind and 100% overcast. That's it! I've seen a lot worse in January......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The only good thing about yesterday was how warm it was. At 21:00 last night it was the same, dry, no wind and overcast. This morning it's dry but with wet flags after an early morning light shower, very mild, almost calm and overcast. The glass is up again at 1027mb. The forecast is almost the same as yesterday. Very mild, overcast, foggy at times and perhaps the chance of a light shower around 10:00. The high is 7C and the low tonight 6C. The constant very light SW wind will only give a slight wind chill. Unseasonable weather but quiet and mild. It will do!
06:45. Back home after a pleasant walk on a dry, calm and very mild morning. This is good weather for January, especially to someone who remembers 1947 and 1963 all too well!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was gloomy but uniformly mild, at 21:00 last night it was dry, almost calm and still mild. This morning is the same. The glass is again up slightly at 1030mb. The forecast is for another mild day. It is for an overcast day but no rain forecast. The light WSW wind will be constant and gradually diminish to very light by this evening. The high is 8c and the low tonight 6C with very little wind chill. Again this is remarkably quiet and mild weather for the time of year and it won't be long before we here reports of unseasonable growth..... Whatever, this will do me!
06:30. Back from our walk and Oneguy is back after going offline at about 05:50. Totally acceptable walk, mild, calm and dry. You canb't expect much better in mid January!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

We were in thick cloud all day yesterday. the drive down Bleara Road into Earby last night was awful, I needed a man with a lantern walking in front of the car. It was even worse coming back up the hill after the meeting.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

In all my years on the road Wendy, the single worst thing was fog which I hated. I have every sympathy for you.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Ashamed to say that it took me ages to work out how to switch the fog lights on (the twisty knob for the lights pulls out) but they didn't help. The headlights were creating rainbow colours on the mist, very distracting! Thank heavens there was no one behind me trying to push me on.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I bet you were getting plenty of light pollution from the property on the side of the road along the top Wendy. That one can be distracting at the best of times let alone with light scatter.
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

That was the only bit where I knew where I was! I dropped out of it suddenly by the viewpoint, and Earby was clear as a bell.
Sunray10
Regular User

Post by Sunray10 »

Well we haven't had much in the way of Winter weather, just a few days of cold, but mostly this horrid grey, gloomy stuff over the last several days, and its been very mild for mid January. I think we could all do with some Winter sunshine. Maybe we will get some by this coming weekend - if the weather forcasters are correct, we might. :cool4:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

See THIS for the Met Office report on 2016. It is the warmest year since 1910.

Yesterday was calm and dry mostly but at 21:00 last night we had rain. It is damp underfoot this morning but dry at the moment and calm, still mild. The glass is still high, up slightly to 1031mb. The forecast is for another damp gloomy day with a slight chance of light rain almost any time. The high is 7C and the low 5C, the SW wind is very light and will diminish to calm by late tonight. Hardly any wind chill. Another very quiet day......
06:30. Back in after a dry, calm and mild walk under 100% overcast. The same picture as recent days. This and better will do, every day is a gift towards the end of winter!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

We had an almighty thunderstorm last night with 49mm of rainfall and winds over 110kph and 70,000 lightning strikes.
Adelaide was pummelled ... But at least it took our 38C temperature down to 26C. :smile:
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I love a good thunderstorm Cathy! Nothing like that here, very quiet, almost boring, weather but mild.....
Yesterday was exactly as forecast, very dull and quiet. Last night at 21:00 it was calm, mild, overcast and almost a hint of mizzle or perhaps fog in the air. This morning it was the same first thing and I have just popped my head out to check and it is the same now, calm, 100% overcast and dry, one thing I note is that it feels colder than of late. The glass was rock steady all day yesterday but has dropped slightly during the night to 1029mb. The forecast is for another overcast day with a minimal chance of slight mizzle at almost any time during daylight. At nightfall it wall clear. The high is 6C and the low tonight 0C. The wind has swung round into the east and will stay there all day, very light all day and a slight wind chill. The outlook is as I suspected, it's will gradually become colder.
07:00. Back after a dry, calm walk under 100% overcast. That's about it actually..... This and better will do, it's moving winter on nicely!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday turned out to be brighter than the forecast, good sun in the afternoon. At 21:00 last night it was calm, dry and much colder. This morning we have well broken cloud and a keen frost. The glass is down slightly at 1026mb. The forecast is for a colder brighter day with a tendency towards being a bit damp after nightfall, on current experience I'll guess it will be brighter. The high is 3C and the low tonight -1C. The wind stays in the east and starts light but increases slightly as the day goes on. This will give a bit of wind chill but nothing serious. A colder trend but nothing to frighten the horses!
06:45. Back in after a good walk. Dry, almost calm, a sharp frost and an almost clear sky, some thin scattered cloud, but the brilliant crescent moon and stars are shining down on us. This and better will do!
Admin matters..... The vulnerable litter bin on the at the bottom of the steps from Co-operative Street into the Pioneer car park has been replaced by one on the nearby lamp standard. (That might be a repeat....) The dog bin nearest the bus shelters has gone AWOL. No problem as long as dog walkers realise that they can use to ordinary litter bins. The replacement of the sodium lights with LED is going ahead. I notice this morning that Railway Street has all LED now and I note the same in other streets. That reminds me, the street lamp near the garages in Robinson Court has been flashing for weeks now. One for David?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

That reminds me, the street lamp near the garages in Robinson Court has been flashing for weeks now.

Robinson Court or Hollins Court Stanley?
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

You can report it yourself, right down to the individual lighting column on here:

Lanacashire County Council - Fault Reporting

Select the tab you want and zoom down to the faulty item, click on it and fill in the report.

It's a good initiative from the Council and what I use to report the broken stiles, faulty or missing way marks and anything else that the Council is responsible for. I reported the sunken grate on Commercial Street by the top of the ginnel, it was sorted within a couple of weeks. You get an email paper train from the department that the job is passed on to. A very efficient way of getting works onto the job list.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yes but it's good for David's street cred if he can say he fixed something! The one that fronts on to Federation Street David. I go down there on my way to Brown's on Fridays.
Yesterday was another good day. At 21:00 last night it was calm dry cold and overcast. This morning it's the same and as yet no frost. The glass has fallen to 1018mb. The forecast is for a bright dry overcast day with sunny spells and no rain. The light east wind will swing about now to a southerly and remain there all day, diminishing to almost calm this evening. About now the temperature will fall as the S wind comes in and while the theoretical high is 3C and the low 0C, it will feel like -4C until noon. Another good day!
06:45. Back from an interesting walk. The sky is clearing, moon and stars visible, the wind has shifted and strengthened and is very cold. I have little doubt that the forecast is correct and that a frost will develop, no ice on cars at the moment. One thing I forgot to mention yesterday is that the computer that controls the flashing of the school crossing lights seems to have had a brain fart, for two mornings on the trot they are flashing at Gisburn Road school.
There is more.... (I told you it was interesting) on Church Street there was a middle aged man huddled up against the front of Age Concern making strange noises. He appeared to have a blue and white bath towel round his shoulders like a shawl. I didn't approach him, my public service days are over but I rang 112 and told the police. The responder said they'd send a patrol round to have a look. It struck me that if someone is missing a person with dementia this might be him.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

Hope the chap on Church Street gets sorted.

I regularly post links on facebook for people to report basic problems to LCC and PBC. Haven't counted, but I guess I report up to a dozen and a half issues a week. Stanley's lamp is at Hollins Court...

Reported: reference number is 215150. You can check the status of this fault anytime by going here and clicking the Enter reference number button.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Stanley wrote:Yes but it's good for David's street cred if he can say he fixed something!
I just thought you might want to help reduce his workload. :surprised: :wink:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

David always has his eye on the elections...... :grin:
Another good but cold day yesterday and the frost never happened. At 21:00 last night it was almost calm, dry, 90% cloud over and very cold. This morning it's misty and cold. The mist is low cloud and funnily enough when you look up it's broken and moving at a fair speed! The glass is up a touch at 1022mb. The forecast is for a dry, bright overcast day with sunny spells. The high is 3C and the low tonight 0C, at the moment it's -1C. The very light wind will vary anywhere between NE and SW and give a slight wind chill. More good weather and the outlook is same and settled.
06:45. A brisk walk on a morning that is now much colder and foggier. Definitely less than -1C and the fog is freezing on everything. I'm glad I am not driving.....
10:15. Just had our second walk, still freezing fog, glad to get back in! I can see the disc of the sun through the fog and suspect that Wendy is basking in full sun. A pic of the fog in the valley would be good......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was OK but foggy and towards evening the fog became a very fine mizzle. At 21:00 last night it was calm, 59% cloud, some stars peeping through and cold and damp. This morning it's calm, freezing and almost dry. I say that because it is misty and there is the finest mizzle I have ever seen. The glass is down slightly at 1019mb. The forecast is for a dry day on the whole with the occasional sunny spell this morning. The high is 5C and the low tonight 3C but I think it's colder than the forecast because even though it says that it isn't freezing now there is ice on top of my backyard gate! The wind is a constant very light breeze from the SW and it will give us a wind chill. So my advice is wrap up!
06:45. The Met Office was definitely wrong about the temperature! A sharp frost with iced up cars and slippy pavements. Good job it's almost calm, Jack Frost was biting my ears even without a wind! Nice to get back into the warm......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Seasons”