Spring 2017

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Spring 2017

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was better than forecast, the thunderstorms never materialised round here and it was dry enough to hang the washing out. At 21:00 last night it was dry, overcast and a light east wind. First thing this morning at 4AM it was cool, overcast and just starting to spot with rain, by 6AM when we went for our walk it was steady light rain. The glass rose slightly during the night but this morning has slipped back a bit to 1008mb. The forecast is for a showery overcast day with a light to moderate easterly wind. A high of 13C and a low of 12C.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A gloomy day yesterday but growy. Damp first thing this morning and the same now, heavy overcast and a hint of rain in the air. The glass is down again slightly at 1005mb. The forecast is for a similar day to yesterday, damp and overcast with showers midday but starting to improve later. The wind is from the west, light to moderate and the high is 14C, the low cooler at 7C. nothing to frighten the horses and a better day tomorrow.....
Not a lot to report..... Back in the house before 6AM. Dull, overcast, little wind and light mizzle in the air but not really raining. Less litter about and a very growy morning.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Torrential rain all day yesterday, here in Brittany. I worked hard in 29 degrees and 90% humidity the day before to get my veggie plants in knowing the forecast. I doubt I will need to water now before our imminent return.
If you keep searching you will find it
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

A warning has been given that we will go down to 4 degrees tonight and up to 14 tomorrow.
That's freezing for us .
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It would be cool here Cathy!
Yesterday finally dried up late evening and at 21:00 it was dry, clearing and cool. This morning it's much cooler and a clear sky. The glass is up at 1015mb. The forecast is for a dry sunny day with a light west wind that will swing into the east later tonight. The high is 19C and the low 14C. A much better day!
06:15. Calm, cool and clear apart from some high wisps of cloud. Full sun. What's not to like! When you add in full foliage on the trees and friendly dogs for Jack to play with you have all the ingredients for a good start to the day! Oh, and by the way, I am pain free, breathing easily and striding out well!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was mixed but on the whole fair and it was a nice evening at 21:00, calm, mild, overcast but perfectly acceptable. This morning it was the same. The glass is steady on 1015mb. The forecast is for a bright overcast day with no rain and a constant light SW breeze. The high will be 18C and the low 13C. Not a lot of sun but a perfectly acceptable day for the first of June.
06:20. Not a lot to report, a pleasant walk on a quiet overcast morning but the cloud id beginning to break giving some patches of blue sky.
One thing I noticed particularly is that one of the stone kerb stones outside Majestic Discounts has been flipped up by a vehicle wheel and is a trip hazard.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A good Spring day yesterday as we enter summer in meteorological terms. Calm, dry, mild and overcast at 21:00 last night and the same this morning. The glass is down to a shade above 1009mb. The forecast is for a bright overcast day interrupted by showers during the morning but brightening later. The high is 15C and the low 9C with a constant light SW breeze. Nothing to frighten the horses and ideal growing weather.
06:40. We had a good walk down to the butcher's and despite an early unexpected shower it was dry. I am still expecting another spell of rain shortly. Very growy and the stand out feature is how green everything is. We are having a good spring!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

At 21:00 last night it was mild, dry and partially overcast. First thing this morning it was clear, dry and mild and it's the same now with early sun coming in. The glass is down slightly at just over 1009mb. The forecast is for a dry day with full sun. The wind is a light to moderate westerly and the high is 16C and the low 10C. Not a scorcher but a good early summer morning.

06:00. Back from a pleasant walk. Trees in full leaf are at their best when low sun is coming in under the leaves and it reminds my of Michelangelo di Lodovico Buonarroti Simoni the sculptor, who always chose his stone in the quarry first thing in the morning in low sunlight as he said he could see into the stone better.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good day yesterday and last night at 21:00 it was mild, dry, almost calm and broken cloud. This morning first thing it was the same but since then we have had a light shower and it is much more cloudy. The glass is a shade lower at 1008mb. The forecast is for a mixed day of sunshine and light showers with a light to moderate but constant SW wind. The high will be 14C and the low 9C. Once again, nothing to frighten the horses!
06:30. A pleasant walk on a drying morning, the flags are drying up nicely. Just a light spatter of big drops as we got back home but still sun shining in from the east. This could be the story for today.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday turned out nice again.... At 21:00 last night it was dry, breezy and 50% cloud cover. First thing this morning it was the same but now we have light rain. The glass is down with a bump to 1000mb. The forecast is dead simple, heavy rain all day on a moderate southerly wind. The high will be 13C and a low of 10C. The rain will continue during the night and we may have some wind on the cards. Sorry kids but good for the land and water supplies this summer!
06:05. I put my waterproof hoody on for my walk but needn't have bothered as the rain bated just as I went out and stayed dry all the way. Lots of scent in Valley Gardens sheltered from the South wind.... Birds singing their hearts out.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Apart from brief spells it has rained continuously since yesterday morning and is still raining now. The glass is down at just below 978mb, a massive drop. The forecast is the same today, almost continuous rain and a constant west wind that will strengthen considerably during the day. The high will be 12C and the low 9C. A nasty little spell of weather but on the whole it will do good, we needed a good soaking!
05:50.

Butts Beck tells the story of the last 24 hours, a healthy flow! It was a wet walk but in its favour is the fact that the Green is not sodden, just firm and well watered. 100% overcast of course but as the wind is in the process of backing from SW to west means that at the moment it's very light. Later it will be lashing the rain down!
Nice thing I noticed.... Barlic Bites has a notice in the window, they are ten years old. Well done, that takes some doing these days for a new small business.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Just passed a chemist with a sign outside which shows date & temp. - 2 degrees at 1.30pm.
Say only a little but say it well.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I think he's exaggerating a bit Moh but I got up after my afternoon sleep, felt chilly and lit the stove. Not as wet but that's a chilly wind and rising.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

It was certainly 9 degrees in Rochdale and Bacup all afternoon. Still very windy and torrential rain
If you keep searching you will find it
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Spring? It's more like autumn :laugh5:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Not as wet here yesterday but some fair old gusts of wind last night. Still breezy this morning but dry. The glass is rising now, up at 992mb. The forecast is for a bright day with spells of sunshine, perhaps the odd shower early and late. The wind will be strong and gusty all day from WNW but swing into the south and abate late tonight. High 13C and low 10C. When the south wind comes in tonight it will bring us another wet day tomorrow but not as much wind.
05:40. I went for an early walk in case there was a shower as forecast but I needn't have bothered. There's a brisk WNW breeze and well broken cloud with plenty of clear sky. The Green is littered with leaves and twigs blown out of the trees. The nice thing is that everything has been washed white. A much better day than yesterday!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Moh wrote: 06 Jun 2017, 13:03 Just passed a chemist with a sign outside which shows date & temp. - 2 degrees at 1.30pm.
Passed again today and realised the no. 1 is out so therefore it must have been 12 degrees (felt like 2!). Bad forecast for tomorrow - it is TT week in the Isle of Man so bad weather is the norm.
Say only a little but say it well.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was a better day, plenty of sunny intervals. At 21:00 it was overcast but dry and the wind had dropped. First thing this morning we had light rain. The glass is up on 1000mb but has fallen back to that from a higher reading last night. The forecast is for rain until mid afternoon with a constant moderate southerly wind. The high will be 17C and the low 10C.
06:15.A calm wet walk with mizzle. 100% overcast so no relief in sight. Good weather for the plants and wild life but it might affect some sensitive souls who don't want to walk to the polling station!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was better than forecast, lots of dry spells but occasional light showers. At 21:00 last night it was 50% overcast with a moderate west wind but dry. This morning we have broken cloud, a west wind and it's dry. The glass is down a bit on 998mb after falling below that overnight. The forecast is for a dry bright day with a moderate westerly wind all day. The high is 15C and the low 9C. Not flaming June by any means but it could be a lot worse!
06:50. Back home after a pleasant dry walk down to the butcher's. We have sun coming through broken cloud and it's mild. As I said earlier, not Flaming June but I have seen a lot worse!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Mainly dry yesterday. At 21:00 it was dry, overcast but broken cloud. This morning first thing it was dry and just starting to spot with rain, I've popped me head out and we have steady light rain now. The glass is up at 1007mb. The forecast is for showers and bright spells until about 7AM and then rain for the rest of the day until early evening. The wind is light to moderate S/SW and we shall have a high of 16C and a low of 12C. Another cool but growy day, good for the farmers and gardens!
06:05. A damp walk under 100% overcast and with fine mizzle and very light rain. Good for the complexion! Mark the streetsweeper is bustling about getting us tidy for the weekend and the man who waters the hanging baskets is doing his rounds but otherwise the town is deserted. Everything is so green!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The rain eased off at dinnertime and we had a decent afternoon. At 21:00 we had a light SW wind, mostly clear sky and it was dry and mild. It's the same this morning. The glass is down slightly at 1005mb. The forecast is for a mainly dry, bright day but tending to occasional showers in the late afternoon and evening. There will be a moderate but blustery SW breeze all day and the high is 16C and the low 11C tonight. Nothing to frighten the horses. Noticeable how light it was at 22:30 last night and early this morning.
06:30. Back from a pleasant walk on a dry mild morning. I may be mistaken but I think the good weather has had an effect on our bird population. Plenty of young ones about and some that I can't readily identify. Not your usual run of local fauna.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We got the late showers and at 21:00 last night it was overcast but dry with a moderate SW wind. First thing this morning it was heavily overcast with spots of rain and a gusty SW wind, this has developed into a dark wet morning. The glass is down very slightly at a shade over 1003mb. The forecast is for an overcast day with rain this morning but clearing up a bit after dinner. The wind will soon back to a westerly and be moderate and blustery all day. The high is 14C and the low 12C. Not flaming June!
06:20. We were lucky, the overcast thinned as per the forecast and we have had a dry cool walk. The most noticeable thing is how rampant and lush the greenery is, it may not be Flaming June but it's suiting Mother Nature.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It was a cool and gloomy day yesterday. At 21:00 last night it was 50% overcast, dry but still with a gusty west wind. This morning it was dry but heavily clouded and less wind, I have just looked outside again and it is still dry and the cloud may be lessening a bit, lighter than yesterday. The glass has risen to 1012mb. The forecast is for a dull day with a high chance of a shower until early evening. The wind is a moderate westerly and the high will be 15C and the low 11C tonight. Moh is correct, tomorrow should be warmer but then back into lower temperatures but at the moment not much rain forecast. No Flaming June!
06:05. We got out early and had a dry walk. What grabbed me was that the plinth at the bottom of the steps from Co-operative Street which has always had a steel railing on it but has been constantly damaged by wagons to the extent that it was totally removed a few weeks ago has had a major upgrade! The Council have painted the edges white......
Moh, I noticed that the heating had kicked in briefly this morning as well. You might need another blast today to be comfortable or do as I have done, put a vest on and wear a heavy shirt!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

There was less rain than forecast yesterday but it was still, on the whole, a gloomy day. At 21:00 last night the cloud was breaking on a moderate west wind and it was dry. This morning we are day with an almost clear sky but there is enough residual cloud in the east to prevent the sun coming in. The glass is rock steady on 1013mb. The forecast is for a dry, bright day and this is combined with a very light SW wind which will give a high of 21C and a low tonight of 12C. A better day......
05:55. Yes, we were out early on a pleasant dry morning. The cloud is high, thin and scattered and until we got back the sun was still being blocked by cloud in the East. It is breaking though now.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Warm and mild yesterday. At 21:00 still mild with broken cloud. Clear sky and dry this morning with a moon approaching full. The glass is down at 1005mb. The forecast is for a fresher day, bright and sunny but the chance of a shower mid morning. The west wind is stronger and the high will be 16C and the low 12C.
06:15. A very pleasant walk. More cloud than earlier but a mild growy morning.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Seasons”