Summer 2017

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Summer 2017

Post by Stanley »

It stayed dry yesterday until late afternoon when we had light rain. At 20:00 last night it was damp but an almost clear sky. First thing this morning the world was barely damp with a very light mizzle, it's the same now. The glass is down again at 1002mb. The forecast is for a damp murky overcast day but no actual rain until early evening when we might have a light shower, very high humidity all day. The constant light wind starts in the SE and ends up tonight from the west. The high will be 18C and the low 15C. Some fog possible around 9AM.
06:15. A dark walk early on a calm, mild and muggy morning. Totally uneventful, the forecast is absolutely right so far, no rain but no light!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was murky as forecast with light mizzle later. At 20:00 it was overcast, dark early and mizzling. This morning it was calm and damp first thing and still very light mizzle. I've just looked out and we now have steady rain. The glass is up slightly at 1004mb. The forecast is for rain until late afternoon with a constant light westerly wind, high of 16C low of 11C. Quiet but boring.......
06:20. Not a lot to report. A dark, calm, wet morning with 100% heavy overcast. It's still dark on our return. Forget summer!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was exactly as per forecast, it brightened up in the afternoon and then light rain again in the late evening. This morning first thing it was overcast and damp underfoot but not raining. When we went out for our walk it was raining steadily, dark and 100% overcast. As we arrived back the rain had abated and the overcast is now broken.... The glass is up at 1009mb. The forecast is for scattered clouds until mid morning and the chance of a shower early in the afternoon. The wind at the moment is WNW and will remain a constant light westerly all day, sometimes tending to WNW. The high is 14C and the low 11C. One thing I noted in the deep cleaning for the new kitchen goods was a light mould in some inaccessible places, reflecting the cool humid weather we have been having. The CH kicked in briefly this morning as the house core temperature drops below 18C.
There is a full moon tonight. A change coming? Look out for overnight grass frost if you have any tender plants, we must be very close.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It wasn't a bad day yesterday after the early morning rain. At 20:00 it was dry, breezy and cool with broken cloud and almost a WNW wind. At the moment it is cool, almost calm, dry and 100% overcast. The glass is almost unchanged on 1008mb. The forecast is for it to remain dry until around 13:00 and then steady rain for the rest of the day. The light to moderate westerly wind will be constant all day giving a high of 14C and a low of 11C. If you have to be outside, do it this morning!
06:20. Back in the hutch after a dry, calm, cool but dark walk. When we set off the cloud was breaking from the west but all that could be seen of the big full moon was a moonglow in the clouds. By the time we reached Valley gardens it had cleared completely so we had a glorious clear full moon. No direct sun yet, it's still overcast in the east.....
Later at 07:20 as I go in the shed.... I've just noticed that the CH has kicked in briefly again.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Not sure if this is the right place for this video but is was shot in the summer (although the sky doesn't look like it :laugh5: )

Barnoldswick in Bloom YouTube
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good video. My American friends were very complimentary about the blooms last week!
Mixed showery day yesterday, the most notable feature was the way the glass plummeted to below 985mb, it;s still there this morning. We set off on a damp walk but no rain under a broken sky with the full moon fully visible but as we walked round the cloud rolled in and we had a spell of proper rain. Still dark when we got home.... It's a gloomy morning. The forecast is for rain until 9AM, more later this morning and the rest of the day either overcast or showery with sunny intervals. The light north to west wind swings about all day giving us a high of 14C and a low of 10C. Nowt weather! (But thank God, no hurricanes....)
[BTW.... The CH is on at low level. Winter is upon us!]
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Stanley wrote: 09 Sep 2017, 05:38 [BTW.... The CH is on at low level. Winter is upon us!]
Hang on a minute! What about the season of mists and mellow fruitfulness? You can't come around here just deciding to miss an entire season. :nooo: Lets get Summer sorted first, as usual I'll let you know when it ends. :laugh5: :extrawink:
Ian
Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

I'd vote for met office seasons over astronomical seasons......... :biggrin2:
Pluggy's Home Monitor : http://pluggy.duckdns.org
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

This is why they start Christmas in October and Easter in the New Year. :extrawink:
Ian
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Well...we noticed Christmas Mince Pies/Tarts in our supermarket 2 weeks ago. ( very tempting for my Febby, and I had to drag him past the stacks by grabbing his ear quite severely.)
I do this in kindness, of course, because of his Diabetes...
Honestly...who eats this rubbish any more?
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Nowt wrong with a minced pie for most folk Maz, at the appropriate time of course. :smile:
Ian
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

True, Panbiker.
But as we go up a degree or three in daytime temperatures, I expect it is just a natural decline in appetite too.
I hovered between buying Winter Veg and Summer Salad items today. It was a close call, but Cauliflower and Sprouts were still a better price. Next week, we may be back to Salad. But I do feel appetites are waning...
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm with you Pluggy! I'm a simple minded bugger and when the CH comes on and it's going dark early winter is looming no matter what Ian says! True, we could yet have a spell of half decent weather but it will only be a brief interlude....
Yesterday was as per the forecast, it brightened a bit in the afternoon. At 20:30 last night it was dark calm, overcast and damp underfoot. This morning it's calm, not raining and we have a light overcast. The moon is clearly there but has a halo. The glass is up slightly at 993mb. The forecast is for it to be overcast until about 9AM, then we could see some sunny intervals but increasingly frequent showers and at time steady rain for the rest of the day. The constant moderate SSW wind will give us a high of 14C and a low of 9C. Deep Joy!
06:25. A dark, calm, dry walk under thickening broken heavy cloud. The moon is hidden now. Surprisingly it is lighter than it was at this time yesterday. Hardly a soul about, Jack and I had the world to ourselves.
BTW.... The CH is on at low level.......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Right, the consensus seems to be that we abandon the constants of our solar system in favour of either what the statisticians prefer or as Stanley says, "It's Winter". OK by me if we miss an entire season, what does it matter? I will leave the topic change to anyone who thinks fit to start the next one, whatever or whenever that may be.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Post by Stanley »

How about changing the topic title to 'Today's weather' and then it never has to be changed, we can still note the solstices in the thread.
Yesterday wasn't bad until later in the morning, I hung bedding out and got it rained on. very bad drying day even inside. Last night at 20:30 it was cool, damp underfoot but not raining. This morning there has been recent rain but it is fair at the moment. The glass has plummeted overnight to almost 972mb. A very low reading, usually means gales and rain. The forecast is for serious rain until about 7AM, then scattered showers and perhaps some sunny intervals for the rest of the day with a short dry spell early evening. The wind is going to be heavier and gusty all day from the west with a high of 14C and a low of 10C. Wet weather gear indicated!
06:20. To quote the Immortal Snoopy; "It was a wild and stormy night'. We are back after a dark, wet, windy walk in full weatherproof gear. To be fair, the wind hasn't really got up yet but even so it was bad. Jack of course got soaked abut he is a brave lad, he ignores the rain and I have given him a good rub down with a rough towel so he is clean, dry and feeling no pain. It's rained a lot during the night, the puddles are full and Butts Beck is running solid and brown over the cill. The outlook for tomorrow is a rising gl;ass and a better day but keep an eye on Wednesday, at the moment the Met Office are predicting even stronger winds for us in the NW and more rain. BTW. I might have been mistaken but I thought I heard thunder over the Ribble Valley as we were getting near home.

The Title of the topic. I usually avoid executive moderator decisions but I made one this morning and changed the title which I think is better than expecting everyone to put their own up. I think the new title is an accurate description as our weather is so much at variance with the lower ground. This isn't set in stone, let me know if you would prefer something else.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It looks as though I have changed it on the page but not the index. Please could someone with the required skill effect the change? Pretty Please!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

You haven't changed anything apart from the title of your individual post. You can only change a topic title in the first post and then alter all the others manually. Not a good idea, neither is a single topic, it will get too big. If you do want a single topic you need to create a new one.

You could simple create the seasons as and when you think fit rather than at the correct time which would be an option.

If you are adamant to do away with the seasons you can put your new Weather topic anywhere you want.

It's 11 days till the end of Summer or it's already Autumn if you go with the Met blokes, or you can just have weather, Winter is along way off despite what anyone thinks.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

i'VE PUT A NEW ONE UP. cAN SOMONE LOCK THIS ONE? i CAN'T REMEMBER HOW TO DO IT!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I will lock this one off at the appropriate time, at the end of Summer, unless someone else wants to see the back of the season early.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

After the horrendous rain this morning (could be a lot worse though) it's quite a pleasant evening.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It's all comparative isn't it Kev. I thought it was cold and the CH was on.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I have turned the thermostats up to 19 degrees (they've been at 15 since May) and the heating has been kicking in at 06:00 when the timer turns it on :-)
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Mine's set on 18 all year round Kev and it's kicking in regularly now.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

It's not as windy as they said it would be, I was expecting much worse.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Kev, there is little doubt in my mind that the Michael Fish incident left deep scars on the Met Office and ever since they tend to present the worst case. There may well have been damaging winds somewhere but all it did in Barlick was bring some immature walnuts down off the tree outside Barlic Bites!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Seasons”