Summer 2017

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Summer 2017

Post by Stanley »

A pleasant day yesterday and an almost clear sky at 21:00. First thing this morning it was dry, calm and broken cloud. Since then the overcast has become more uniform and it's gloomy. The glass is up at 1012mb. The forecast is for an cloudy day with sunny spells but dry. The high is 19C and the low 13C with a light and very variable wind that starts in the east and ends in the south east after swinging all round the southern quarter.
06:20. A pleasant, quiet and uneventful walk. Just how we like it! The summer foliage is at its peak and the lack of sun and very hot weather is a benefit to anything that's growing. I think it might be a good year for the birds......
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Pleasant day yesterday. Dry and cloudy at 21:00 last night. Calm dry and overcast this morning and the glass is down to 1000mb. The forecast is for it to be dry and dull until about 8AM and then rain until mid afternoon after which it will brighten up. The light to moderate wind is from southerly quarters all day and the high is 17C with a low of 11C. Not summer weather!
06:20. Uneventful walk except for this. It's getting ridiculous!

Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I have posted elsewhere about this. Why cant they just put some seriously hefty metal bollards at either end of the railings (which should be more substantial anyway)?
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Or stop wagons from going in from the car park end..... The drivers are incompetent!
Yesterday was as per the forecast, it brightened up at about 15:00 and we had a sunny end to the day. Clouding over at 21:00 and by 22:00 we had some heavy claps of thunder and genuine forked lightning across the sky, I laid in bed watching it. This morning the flags were slightly damp and it was overcast but clear in the east. At the moment there is a big break in the cloud over us, still dry. The glass is down at just over 996mb. The forecast is for a mixed day, showers and sun. The only constant is the moderate SW wind. Cooler at 16C and 11C tonight. Barlick summer!
06:30. A brief spell of sun as we went out but the cloud has come in and it looks like rain. |A pleasant walk and there are developments in the Pioneer car park! Both damaged posts and signs have been removed. We wait with bated breath.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

The storm came very close last night, I was watching the strikes on a lightning map and saw a strike around Pinhaw then one on Bleara. The next one knocked out the power and the internet for a few seconds so I didn't get to find out how close it actually was. :surprised: I couldn't settle till I had checked on the ponies so as soon as the rumblings went off into the distance I went out with a torch. Think I freaked them by flashing a torch around but they were fine.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

What a good woman!
Word this morning from my friend Helen at the Co-op that the latest bending right over of the second sign in the car park wasn't a wagon. It was a Jeep! How bad are these drivers!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The forecast was right. Cloudy and light rain at 21:00. Heavy rain this morning. The glass is slightly lower at 995mb. The forecast is simple. Apart from a brighter spell at dinner time heavy rain all day. The constant moderate SW wind will give us a high of 17C and a low of 12C. That's it!
06:45. A very simple report of our walk. It was wet! Not as heavy as early on but Jack had an early bath. He is rubbed down, dry and feeling no pain. My trousers are still damp......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Apart from a bright spell at dinnertime we had rain all day. At 21:00 it was still raining..... This morning first thing the sky was clear and it was dry, we have 100% broken cloud cover now coming in on the west wind but it is still dry. The glass is up very slightly at just below 998mb. The forecast is for a dull but mainly dry day, chance of a shower in the late afternoon. The light to moderate wind will be from the SW most of the day and the high will be 17C and the low 12C. Not summer and the forecast for next Tuesday when Susan and I have our day out is for a dull day with the chance of a shower.....
06:20. The cloud is breaking and we have blue patches but no sun as yet. Barlick is water-washed, good for the trees and Barlick in Bloom but not what you would call summer. The beck in Butts has a good flow on. Overall it's drying out and who knows, we may get a bit of sun......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Hope I can get the grass cut today. It doesn't look as if there is going to be another dry day for a while.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It didn't turn out too bad actually. At 21:00 last night it was dry. This morning first thing still dry and some breaks in the cloud to the east, I have just looked out and it is clearing nicely from the South.The glass is down to 995mb. The forecast is for a showery day with some sunny intervals. The constant moderate SW wind will give us a 16C high and a 12C low tonight. The outlook for the next week is for very similar weather. The height of summer! (But good for the grass. It must be a good silage crop this year.....)
06:30. A dry walk, broken cloud and clear patches coming in from the South.

The latest stage in the car park saga. Back to square one. How long until the railings get bent again?

Why should there be a tree branch in the middle of town? When I got into the Town square I found more, someone has torn a branch out of one of the trees and also pulled off quite a few of the trailing plants in the hanging baskets. What is so satisfying about wanton destruction? Is anyone checking the security cameras? I feel so sorry for the volunteers who see their careful work preparing for the National judging of Britain in Bloom when they see how their work is treated.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I've reported the tree and plant damage https://doitonline.lancashire.poli ... /Createt
Reference is OR/170730074006

David Whipp has commented over in Facebook land. The branch may be the same one that came down in the storm last week, it had been tucked away in a corner of the town square for collection by LCC contractors. The constabulary have responded already and are gathering more information.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good! But the trailing plants out of the hanging baskets are recent.
Some very heavy sharp showers coming though, Jack and I are waiting for a window at the moment!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

PC Mark Hyde said (also on FB) that the miscreants for the bus shelter have been identified from CCTV and words would would be had with them and their parents.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

There were some heavy showers yesterday and at 21:00 last night it was still dodgy. This morning first thing the flags were damp, I've just looked outside and we have nasty looking broken cloud coming in on the west wind and light showers. The glass is up a bit at 998mb. The forecast is at odds with what is actually happening, a consequence of being on the cusp between the east and west weather. It says dry until 11AM and then scattered showers until 6PM with frequent sunny intervals. Best bet is a day like yesterday, a constant mix of sun and showers! The constant moderate SW wind will give us 16C high and 12C low.
06:35. Not a wet walk but definitely cool and damp. I listened to the long range forecast on Farming Today and there is no respite in sight from the low pressure regime we are under at the moment.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The forecast was spot on, we had some very heavy showers in between the sunny intervals yesterday. At 21:00 it was dry, just, and we had broken cloud. This morning first thing we had a clear sky, I've just looked outside and just as yesterday, we have heavy broken cloud coming in now from the west. The glass is a bit more optimistic, it's up at 1004mb. The forecast is a re-run of yesterday, sunny intervals and showers all day with a constant moderate SW wind. High of 16C and a low of 11C. I have put my vest back on! I've looked at the forecast for Appleby and it's about the same but perhaps a lighter wind. I think I shall carry my waterproof coat!
05:50.Out in good time and the clouds have cleared slightly, there's enough blue to make a sailor a pair of trousers so If my mother was right, it augurs well for the day! It's cool though, I shall be wearing my heavy three piece tweed suit and I promise it will be comfortable!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Mick tells me you had a showery day yesterday. In the Lakes it was wall to wall sunshine all day! This morning it was dry with broken cloud. We went out for a late walk and it was dry and pleasant. The glass is steady on just above 1004mb. The forecast is for another showery day, heavy at times this morning. The constant light southerly wind will give us a high of 18C and a low of 11C. The wind will cool this down slightly. Still Barlick holiday weather.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The only good thing about yesterday was that it was milder! We had spells of sunshine but light showers kept us damp for most of the day. At 21:00 last night it was mild, cloudy and damp. The glass is down to 993mb. The forecast is uninspiring..... rain promised all morning, clearing up in the afternoon. The constant moderate SW wind will give us a high of 16C and a low of 13C. There is no sign in the outlook of any better weather and meanwhile the days shorten. If it sounds as though I find the weather depressing, you're right!
06:15. We set off under broken cloud and though damp it wasn't raining but by the time we were on the last lap towards home, the cloud had thickened and proper rain was starting. I think that's it until this afternoon.
I noted yesterday that there were road works at the intersection in Butts bounded by the Pigeon Cub, the clinic and Carlson's gate. I wondered whether it was work on the culvert that carries Gillians back under the road to the buried confluence of it and Calf Hall Beck but this morning it's obvious that it's simply a good re-surfacing job.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Not as much rain as forecast yesterday but still not summer! At 21:00 we had broken cloud and a moderate wind, cool and dry. This morning first thing it was just about dry but now it is overcast and mizzling. The glass is up slightly at 997mb. The forecast is for early rain but then a brighter day with a constant moderate west wind which will result in a high of 16C and a low of 11C. Could be OK for Wendy's walk!
06:45. By the time we set out for the butcher's it was proper wetting rain but when we got back the cloud was breaking and the rain had stopped so the forecast might be accurate. But it is still not summer! I note that there are warnings in Europe of abnormally high temperatures.... Climate change or not this is an unsettled pattern of weather.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

It's not much better here Stanley with days of 13/15C and freezing nights. Plenty of wind and rain. We should see the sun on Tuesday :smile:
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Never mind Cathy, you'll soon be in your Spring! We are looking at Autumn!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

The sun is shining through my window, seaside it is then. Off to Lytham for a spot if lunch.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

How the other half live.......
Yesterday was acceptable I suppose but a bit cooler. At 21:00 broken cloud and a westerly breeze but dry. First thing this morning overcast but not raining. It's dry now under a clear sky. The glass is well up at 1007mb. The forecast is for a cooler but dry day with plenty of sun. The constant moderate west wind will hold us down to 15C and 10C tonight. Dry but you might need a vest!
06:45. A pleasant walk under clear skies with full sun. This is a good thing after the last few days but it is cool.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

In a word - miserable!
Cold, dark, heavy rain, gale force winds, thunder and lightning...with local flooding.
Heading off for an afternoon kip. There is nowt else for it...
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Best place Maz......
We had a dry but cool day. At 21:00 it was clear, dry and a light west wind but cool and a full moon. This morning we have overcast and a light mizzle. The glass is up again at just under 1014mb. The forecast is for a day starting overcast and then sunny spells with the occasional shower perhaps until early afternoon, after that rain for the rest of the day. The constant moderate SW wind will give us 15C high and 11C low. The outlook is for the same for the next week with single figures during the night possible.
06:30. A cool but dry and pleasant walk round the town. Some weak sunshine gets through the cloud in the east but it isn't what you'd call a bright summer morning..... By the way, a bit of grass frost in the glens of Scotland yesterday.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was showery and at 21:00 we still had light rain. Same this morning first thing and I have just looked out, it is now heavier! The glass is back to 1009mb. The forecast is for rain until about 9AM then dry and sunny spells for the rest of the day. The constant light to moderate SW wind will give us a high of 16C and a low tonight of 11C. The outlook for the next five days shows no change. It would be nice to have some summer!
06:25. We were lucky, a clear spell blew in from the SW and we had a dry walk but despite the sun coming in at the moment there are still some black clouds in the south and we perhaps haven't seen the end of the rain.
I keep forgetting to ask..... Can anyone explain why the identifying plaques on the backs of the two recently installed benches have been taken off? They weren't heavy enough for scrap.... Funny isn't it.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Seasons”