Summer 2017

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Summer 2017

Post by Stanley »

I forgot to mention yesterday how heavy the flow was over Butts Dam, we have had a lot of rain. It was wet on and off yesterday, the showers coming in so quickly that even I got caught mid morning. At 21:00 last night it was dry and during the night it was clear. This morning we have a mostly clear sky with an almost full moon dodging behind the occasional patch of cloud. The glass is down slightly at 1008mb. The forecast is not summery! It will be overcast all day and during the afternoon and late tonight showers are likely. The wind is backing rapidly into the north and will be light and constant all day giving a high of 14C and a low of 10C tonight. It will never feel warmer than 13C! Not summer!
06:10. The best I can say about this morning's walk is that it was calm and dry. It's also cool and gloomy due to the 100% overcast that has come in. Some of the street lights were still on this morning, that's a first for this summer. No sign of the sun, the only cheering note is some clear spells to the North which might come in later.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Sounds like your vests aren't going to get any down time at all this Summer...

I'm being driven mad by birds at present...the type that pick at the edges of the garden and toss mulch all over the paths. I'm sweeping it back ( whilst cursing) three or four times a day outside the front door. If I don't it will end up getting walked inside. Every time I open the front door, there is such a mess!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Our bane this year is slugs Maz. I think I have a healthy population hiding in the mint! Vest was off for that one spell of hot weather we had, essential wear now!
Showery day again yesterday and raining at 21:00 last night. Still raining this morning..... The glass is up a touch at 1010mb. The forecast is for another nowt day. Rain until 6AM and then overcast the rest of the day. We might get an occasional glimpse of the sun. The light to moderate northerly wind holds us back to 17C high and 9C low tonight. Not impressed...... single figures in August!
06:30. It was still raining when we went out but soon cleared up. The cloud is breaking as it comes in on the light NE wind. The forecast could be correct.... But it's cool, not a fine summer morning!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday afternoon was sunny but not warm. At 21:00 last night it was overcast but during the night cleared and we had a good moon. This morning first thing it was the same and as I write it is cool, dry, perfectly clear and a good moon in the SW. The glass is well up at almost 1020mb. The forecast is for a bright sunny day. The very light northerly wind will give way to a moderate westerly and we will have a high of 17C and a low of 11C. It's an improvement I suppose...... Nothing in the outlook to suggest any change to warmer weather.
06:30. A pleasant dry walk but cool under a clear sky with the moon still very prominent in the west. I saw a mouse in the back street, that's a first for me. We live with rats and mice but very seldom see them!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It was cool yesterday but fine. Last night at 21:00 we had clear skies and a light west wind, this morning it was the same first thing but there may be some light overcast now, difficult to tell in the dark but dawn isn't evident yet. The glass is back to 1013mb. The forecast is for it to be bright overcast and dry until mid afternoon when we can expect some light showers. The light to moderate SW wind is constant all day and the high will be 15C and the low 13C.
06:45. I was right about the overcast. As it slowly came light it was obvious. A pleasant walk to the butcher's though, dry, light wind and breaking cloud. There are occasional shafts of sunlight at the moment. But it's a cool morning, a hint of Autumn in the air!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It started mizzling at 15:00 yesterday, dead on schedule. At 21:00 we had a light, very mild west wind and it was still mizzling, dark enough to trigger the street lights, first time this summer at that time. This morning we had heavy broken cloud first thing and it's the same now with a clear patch in the east allowing dawn to break through. It's dry. The glass is back to 1006mb. The forecast is for a mainly dry day with sunny spells and perhaps the odd light shower. The light to moderate wind is westerly and the high is 17C with a low tonight of 9C. The outlook is for the same, but a touch cooler.
06:30. A dry walk, calm and overcast. Some occasional breaks coming in from the west but no sun.
The Pioneer car park saga moves on.... The latest ploy is a portable traffic barrier in the side road from the car park to Rainhall Road which seems to be intended to stop wagons using it but allowing cars through. I shall report on the outcome!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Same here, all the locals are back in jumpers, jeans and thick coats. You can tell the tourists shivering in shorts and Light weight tops. I brought few warmer summer clothes with me so every morning is a battle to find something that is not sleeveless . Been back in jeans for over a week
If you keep searching you will find it
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It's not summer Sue!
Yesterday was sunny but with the odd sharp shower. At 21:00 last night it was overcast and calm, the scent of the mint was very strong in the front garden. It is clear at the moment, a good moon and stars visible. The glass is up at just over 1014mb. The forecast is for sun all day with perhaps a light shower in the early afternoon. There will be a constant light west wind and a high of 17C with a low of 12C.
06:15. A nice walk on a fine but cool morning, a touch of Autumn in the air. Even though it is so clear it didn't come light until after 05:15 and there is only faint watery sun even now. I see that in Cambridgeshire last night the temperature dropped to 1.8C...
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Shorts and T shirt for the moment up here North of Newcastle. Wall to wall sunshine. :biggrin2:
Ian
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Enjoy, Panbiker.
Not quite that warm here, but an afternoon walk in the sun warmed me enough to shed my fleecy and socks!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was quite pleasant here. It was mild and dry last night at 21:00. This morning the moon is veiled by thin overcast but it's dry. The glass is back slightly at a shade over 1012mb. The forecast is for an overcast day with occasional showers. The light to moderate wind is southerly and the high will be 17C with a low of 13C. No change in the outlook.
06:25. Back home after an uneventful walk. It's calm, mild and there is 100% overcast. As we went out there was a hint of rain in the air but that's ceased now. The temporary traffic barrier at the side of the Co-op has gone this morning. Asbestos roofing has been dumped in Butts, cheaper that the tip! On the plus side an unopened can of Stella Artois went in my pocket, has been washed and will be handy for my cooking! Overall it's gloomy and at the moment is darker than when we set off. Oh, by the way, I picked and ate my first ripe blackberry in Butts this morning. Don't tell me that Autumn isn't just round the corner.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was as forecast and ended up wet as it started raining steadily at 20:30. It was dry this morning but 100% cloud cover, still dry at the moment but overcast, gloomy and looking like rain. The glass is back on 1004mb. The forecast is for a period of rain about now and then generally bright overcast with sunny spells and a chance of a shower. The light to moderate Westerly wind will be constant all day and we shall have a high of 16C and a low of 11C. Nothing exciting and certainly not summer. One good thing is that the trees and vegetation have had no set-back during the 'summer' and are thriving!
06:20. A dry walk, just! There are breaks in the cloud coming in on a brisk west wind and for much of our walk the moon was clearly visible high in the South. Just as we got back home it started spotting with rain and we may be about to get the rain forecast for 06:00.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Sunny and warm at the moment up North. :sunny:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We had some showers. At 21:00 it was clear and dry, the same this morning at the moment. The glass is up on 1012mb. The forecast is for a dry, bright, overcast day with some sun. Some rain expected late evening. The constant light to moderate southerly wind will give us a high of 17C and a low of 14C. Slightly better but no great improvement in the outlook.
06:20. A pleasant dry walk on a calm morning. The sky was almost totally clear and there has been a heavy dew but as we walked round a thin overcast was building and is now enough to keep the sunlight at bay.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Still fine up here.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It wasn't too bad here either Ian. At 21:00 last night it was dry, mild, a south west wind and a very murky overcast. This morning it's overcast and mizzling enough to wet the flags. The glass is back again at 1001mb. The forecast is for showers until 9AM then clear and sunny until this evening when there is a chance of another shower. The SW wind is moderate and constant, high of 18C and a low of 12C. This could be as good as it gets this summer!
06:30. We were lucky and hit a break in the rain. The dam in Butts tells me that there has been quite a lot of rain in the night. One thing about it, the streets are clean!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Sunniest and warmest day so far today. We were at hospital this morning but will be on the beach this afternoon.
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

PanBiker wrote: 17 Aug 2017, 11:48 Sunniest and warmest day so far today. We were at hospital this morning but will be on the beach this afternoon.
Nothing too serious I hope.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

It was Tuesday Wendy, we had been on the beàch, kids were OK and went rockpooling. Isla said she felt hot and then shivering so we came back and made tea. We had pizzas and had just dished up when Isla announced that she felt sick, promptly followed by her throwing up over the dining table. :rolleyes:
She was very lethargic yesterday and ate nothing all day but seemed a bit better this morning but refused breakfast. Sally rang the local surgery to see if she could get her a slot with the doc. They sent us to the walk in centre at the hospital. Saw nurse and then the doc who checked her over and pronounced a viral infection. She's eaten little at lunch and a snack this afternoon and seems to be on the mend.
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

What a shame, hope she feels better soon.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Bouncing now after tea :smile:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thank God for that, amazing how fast kids can go down and then bounce back! Also amazing how they can pick up stuff! Probably a boost to her immune system.....
It was a nice day yesterday and the rain kept to its schedule. At 20:30 last night it was clear, dry and mild. This morning the flags are damp and we have heavy broken cloud. The glass is down slightly at 999mb. The forecast is for a day of April showers and sunny intervals all day. The moderate SW wind will be constant and it will be cooler at 14C with an 11C low tonight.
06:45. We were lucky and had a dry walk but only just, it started raining heavily as we got back and now we have sunshine, I think we can expect this pattern all day.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We've had our walk on a gloomy damp morning with heavy broken cloud and light showers. The glass is up slightly at 1005mb. The forecast is for another mixed day with a constant moderate west wind giving us a high of 15C and a low of 10C. I know I'm a moaning old bugger but this is not summer!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It was a cool showery day yesterday and at 21:00 I could swear the wind was in the NW, dry but chilly. This morning it's dry but heavy broken cloud and a cool breeze. The glass is up at just above 1014mb. I've just looked outside and I must have been fooled by the darkness, the sky is almost totally clear and dawn creeps in from the east. The forecast is better. We are promised a dry day with good sun in the morning but clouding over later. The wind starts as a light westerly but increases a bit during the morning, at 18:00 tonight it swings round through the North and finishes up as a light easterly. The high will be 16C and the low 11C. The outlook is for it to warm up a bit over the next two days but nothing startling.
06:10. Back from a pleasant if cool walk under clear skies and it won't be long before the sun gets high enough to reach us. It constantly surprises me how many people get one last bottle as they leave the pub at night and on the way home find the truth in one of my dad's sayings; "One's just right, two's too many, and three isn't half enough". They just park the bottle on a wall or the pavement and if it's not picked up, we have more broken glass to cut dog's pads!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

It looks like summer may have arrived at last for our last week here,28 degrees tomorrow, 25 most of the week and hardly any rain. Well at least we seem to have had better weather than Rochdale...just!
If you keep searching you will find it

Return to “Seasons”