Global Moderator

Re: Summer 2017

Post by Stanley »

A lot better Sue!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was quite good compared with recent weather. This morning first thing it was dry, cool and I think a light overcast. It's the same at the moment and might be clearing but still too dark to see properly. The glass is steady on 1014mb. The forecast is for a mainly bright day with some sun, a chance of a shower later in the early evening. The light east wind will gradually back into the south during the day and the high is 17C and the low 15C. Tomorrow could be quite warm.....
06:20. A cool dry walk. At 05:45 when I went out of the door the sensor switched the outside light on and some street light were still lit, it's getting darker in the mornings! The sky was notable, a clear patch far to the east and clear out to the west but due to the remarkably light wind, the patch of high broken cloud in the middle is virtually stationary. For the second morning on the trot there were midges in Valley Gardens. A big skein of Canada Geese flew over coming from their night roost at Whitemoor to their favoured day location in the bottoms beyond the canal behind Gill Brow works.
The other thing I noted was the fact that as seems quite normal these days, someone had been to a Macdonalds outlet, brought it back to the Pioneer car park and thrown all their rubbish out onto the floor from the car. Could any of you do that with a clear conscience?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was OK but the occasional light shower later in the day. This morning it was mild and damp after a light shower first thing and the same as I write. The glass is still steady on 1014. The forecast is for a warmer, overcast but dry day. There will be a constant light to moderate SE breeze and a high of 21C and a low of 15C tonight. Cooler outlook but a good day for our trip out to Skipton.
06:10. We were out early this morning as I want to bring Jack's routine forward half an hour so he can have a good empty on the Green before we get on the bus. So, street lights still on and it's a funny morning. Very mild, calm and murky under a 100% overcast. They say it will be dry but I think later on we might have some thunder triggered by this sudden warm air coming in from the south. That could mean a late shower. But for the time being I'll take what's on offer!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday in Skipton was very mild and close but dry. At 21:00 back home it was mild and dry with broken cloud. First thing this morning it was the same and has not changed since then. The glass is down to 1006mb. The forecast is for some rain around 9AM and then brightening up with sun later. The light to moderate wind swings about a bit and settles in the west by mid morning. The high will be 17C and the low 13C. The outlook is for similar weather, nothing exciting!
06:35. A totally uneventful walk under 100% overcast on a mild, calm, and humid morning. Midges in Valley Gardens again and the scent of my mint last night in the front gardens was intense! Trees and foliage are the best I have seen for years at this time of year and there is a good crop of walnuts on the two trees in Valley Gardens and outside Barlic Bites in the Town Square.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

32 yesterday, gone the other way now as it was too hot!
If you keep searching you will find it
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It felt mild here at 17C sue!
At 21:00 last night it was going dark but mild and dry. This morning first thing the flags were damp after an overnight light shower with 50% cloud cover and a light west wind. There's more cloud now and we have had another light shower. The glass is steady on 1007mb. The forecast is for a cooler, mainly dry and bright day with some sun and a possible shower around noon. The wind is steady and moderate from the SW and we can expect a high of 16C and a low tonight of 12C. No change in the outlook, more of the same.
06:20. The outside light came on as we went out this morning, it was dry and a moderate west wind but no light in the east and 100% overcast. A dry pleasant walk and during it breaks in the cloud began to come in from the west but still no dawn light in the east, the overcast is still heavy there.
Jack is very active this morning, his day out and rest day yesterday has evidently suited him! He lad me round a good pace, often 50 yards in the van! Nice to see him so happy.
Later at 11:00. The rain has come in right on schedule. It should brighten up this afternoon.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday afternoon kept its promise and it was still fine and dry at 21:00. It's calm and dry but overcast at the moment. The glass is up slightly at 1010mb. The forecast is not exciting. A mainly dry but overcast day with a constant light SW wind and a high of 16C, low of 13C. The outlook is for nothing better in sight.....
06:40. An uneventful walk this morning under 100% overcast. Not a lot more to be said!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nice day overall and at 20:30 it was calm and dry under an overcast sky. The street lights came on as I was out there...... This morning it's clear and dry. The glass is rock steady on 1010mb. The forecast is for a dry sunny day. The wind will be a constant westerly light to moderate and the high 17C, low of 10C.
06:15. All the street lights still on when we went out and despite a clear sky there was cloud out to the east blocking any sight of the dawn, some stars still visible. The days are shortening.....
There were midges in Valley Gardens and Town Square and I forgot to mention but two large skeins of Canada Geese flew over very low en route to the Whitemoor Roost at 20:00 last night. I love seeing those big intelligent birds.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

An acceptable day yesterday, at 21:00 the sky was clear with a new moon and it was dry. The sky is almost clear at the moment, stars visible and a heavy dew. Calm and dry. The glass is up slightly at almost 1013mb. The forecast is for a dry sunny day with some cloud coming in this evening. The largely westerly wind will be light and we can expect a high of 19C with a low of 15C. Tomorrow looks similar.... (Sounds like ideal weather for Dennis and Sparky!)
I'm watching reports of the category 4 hurricane in the Gulf..... These generally affect our weather eventually. I wonder what it will bring us?
06:15.A pleasant walk on a dry morning that's rapidly coming light. Midges in Valley Gardens but the most notable thing about this morning is the amount of traffic and pedestrians out and about. It started with a taxi in the back street at 05:45 picking up a family and baggage, probably for a transfer to an airport. Then there was an unusually large number of cars about. I must have encountered at least thirty people walking home, I assume after all night parties. All I can think of is that it's because it's a bank holiday weekend. I have never seen so many people about first thing on a Sunday morning.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

They might have been watching the big fight at a pub somewhere.
Dennis & Sparky appreciate a good breeze to keep the flies away!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Ahh, you may be right Wendy!
I thought about the breeze when I commented on the horses. I hope they have an enjoyable day! (It's looks OK tomorrow as well.....) (Mayweather stopped cage fighter McGregor in the tenth round.....)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

It's Colne Blues this weekend too..
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Slightly more cloud than forecast yesterday but a good day on the whole. Clear sky at 20:30 and this morning. Glass is down slightly at 1011mb. Forecast is for a re-run of yesterday, dry, bright overcast all day with the odd sunny spell and perhaps a shower late tonight. The constant moderate SW wind will give us a high of 19C and a low of 13C.
06:05. A dry calm and cool walk. Dawn is later every morning and this morning it was still dark at 05:30. In contrast to yesterday not a soul about and no traffic. There is hardly any wind so the thin high cloud coming in from the west hasn't replaced all the clear sky but that wind will gradually increase. On the whole a very quiet morning in a deserted town.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Dawn here at 6.45, the sky was rise pink as far as you could see
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

No dawn here this morning Sue. 100% overcast, dry first thing but we have just had our walk under grey skies with light mizzle. The glass is down slightly at 1008mb. The forecast is for this rain to clear and be followed by a dry but overcast day. The west wind will be constant and light and we will have a high of 15C and a low of 11C. The outlook is for the same and Uncle Bob's canal trip on Thursday (He will be embarking at Lower Park Marina at about 09:30) looks like a cool day with some sun and scattered showers.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

32 again and 96% humidity. Last day, got to tidy up and pack.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It was nearer 15C here Sue.... It will be cool and showery when you get home.
Calm dry and overcast at 20;30 last night. Cool this morning but dry and a clear sky at the moment. The glass is down a touch at 1007mb. The forecast is for a cool, dry overcast day with occasional glimpses of the sun. The very light variable wind will settle in the west and become light to moderate. High of 15C and a low of 8C tonight. Very quiet almost Autumnal weather.....
06:20. A pleasant walk on a cool, dry calm morning. The cloud is coming in slowly from the west and at 05:45 it was still dark, all the street lamps lit. Very hard to escape the conclusion that we are seeing the turn of the year, it won't be long until we have a morning grass frost, single figures for the next two nights......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

I see England, grey but not raining
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Sunshine all afternoon and into the evening today so not all bad.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was better than the forecast but cool. At 20:30 it was dry and cool with an clearing sky. This morning it's dry and calm and I can see a couple of stars.... The glass is steady on 1007mb. The forecast is the same as yesterday except that there is a chance of a shower mid morning and this afternoon. 15C high and 8C low, light SW wind. Looks OK for our canal trip.
06:15. A cool but pleasant walk under clearing skies with sun coming in at high level and making the high scattered clouds red. It all looks good for our day out.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Stayed at a Premier inn on the way home, best not get home at 1.00 am when the house has been empty for 9 weeks.,
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good thinking...... Happy re-entry!
Yesterday was as forecast, wet in the morning, dry sunny afternoon and thunder rain from 16:00 onwards. Last night at 20:00 the sky was clear and it was dry. Same this morning to press. Glass is up at 1016mb. Forecast is for a dry bright day with a constant light westerly wind. High of 16C and low of 8C. First day of the official Autumn.....
06:45. A cool dry walk under clear skies down to the butcher's. It is cooler than the forecast suggested, the CH cracked on just as I was going out and on my return, my glasses steamed up as soon as I entered the house, a sure sign of a chilly morning! It won't be long until we have our first grass frost, this morning we were close with a very heavy dew. No escaping it, the year is turning as Maz does her Spring cleaning Down Under!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was a very acceptable day but cool. Last night at 20:00 it was calm, clear and cool with a big moon in the South. The next full moon is on the 6th. This morning first thing the sky was clear, it was dry calm and cool. I've just had a look and I think that some overcast may be coming in, I can only see a couple of stars. The glass is up slightly at just over 1012mb. The forecast is for a dry bright day with mainly clear skies. The light wind is very variable and blows from all points of the compass ending up steady from the SE. The high will be 17C and the low 11C.
06:20. a dry, calm and cool morning with an almost totally clear sky. Misty out to the east but clear in Barlick. It's an autumnal morning all right!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Nice day today.17 degrees but none of the wind we get in France when it us that temperature. The garden is nearly tidy with the last of the summer flowers showing beautifully.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

"last of the summer flowers showing beautifully" That sums it up nicely Sue. same here, but in my case it's the mint which is showing signs of end of season droop! Calm and clear last night at 20:30 with a good moon in the south. Calm, dry and clear this morning. The glass is down with a bump to 1008mb. The forecast is for a dry, bright overcast day. The light to moderate SE wind will be constant all day, high of 15C and a low of 12C.
06:15. A calm, dry morning, not as cold as yesterday. When we set off we had 100% overcast and it was still dark but as we walked round I realised that the small bright patch in the east was gradually spreading our way. The prevailing wind, though light is from the east. We now have a rosy glow coming in, not sunshine but very welcome! A very pleasant morning.
Two large skeins of Canada Geese flying south from Whitemoor to the day Roost behind Gill Brow. I reckon 80 birds minimum. I love the way they talk to each other.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Seasons”