TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Post by Stanley »

Lovely bonus day yesterday, anyone out walking had a perfect day for it. At 19:00 the sky was clear and it was dry and calm but cool. First thing this morning it was clear, dry and cold with blazing stars, just an odd low cloud. 90minutes later the usual has happened, still calm and dry but it's overcast now. The glass is up slightly at 1012mb. The forecast is for a dry bit overcast day. The wind is tending to the east and very light. The high will be 13C and the low 6C. The outlook is for the east wind to persist and we will lose the influx of warm air from Europe. Expect it to become much cooler. Our spell of mild weather seems to be ending.
06:45. A pleasant walk to the butcher's this morning. Gaps in the cloud are appearing and letting the stars peep through. The only notable thing for me was the fact that stood at the zebra crossing at the junction of Skipton Road and Gisburn road 5 cars passed before one stopped. This despite the enhanced lighting on the crossing. The moral is wait until all the cars that pose a danger have stopped and even then watch out for overtakers assuming the stopped cars are parked! I do not intend to be a 'road accident' statistic.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The forecast was right, yesterday was gloomy! Going dark at 16:00, Deep Joy! At 1900 the sky was overcast but it was dry, mild and calm. First thing this morning it was the same, I have just had a look and no change but perhaps a bit cooler with a very light breeze. The glass is up slightly at 1023mb. The forecast is for an overcast start but some sun around midday and dry all day. The wind is a constant moderate easterly which will cool us down a bit more than the southerly flows we have been enjoying, a precursor of what is coming. The high will be 8C and the low 6C.
05:45. The wind is gradually gaining strength and you can feel it, definitely cooler. It's dry but overcast and a touch of mist in the air. Very quiet, after all it's Saturday morning!
One thing that continually attracts my attention is the continued dereliction of the wooden building at the end of Federation Street. My understanding is that there is a covenant in the deeds which restricts use of the building to a religious purpose. Was it Spiritualist of Jehovah's before? Whatever, it is descending into a blight.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Just having a look outside, and at 8.20pm it is not dark yet...
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We are paying the penalty for the long light summer nights Maz. It will get worse before the 21st of December.
A slightly better day but always a bit murky out to the East. At 19:00 we had broken cloud, a light breeze and it was dry but cooler. First thing this morning it was the same, just looked out and it is the same but perhaps a more even overcast. The glass is up slightly at 1026mb. The forecast is for a brighter dry day clearing as the day goes on. The constant East wind is moderate and gives us 8C for a high and 5C for a low but we are in the season where wind chill becomes a factor. It will feel about 2C at the moment and will never feel better than 5C. Welcome to winter.....
05:45. A quiet walk on a dry cool morning. The wind has not risen yet but it is noticeably cooler already. There are some caps in the cloud coming in from the east and the stars are visible on and off. I have to admit that the Xmas lights are a credit to the Council, nobody can accuse them of letting the local retailers down.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Stanley wrote: 17 Nov 2018, 05:05 My understanding is that there is a covenant in the deeds which restricts use of the building to a religious purpose. Was it Spiritualist of Jehovah's before? Whatever, it is descending into a blight.
You are correct about the covenant Stanley but it was formerly the Gospel Mission. The group now occupy what used to be Boltons workshop and store on Wellhouse Rd, next to Gissings.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks Ian, I have never been sure about that. Time for some action I think.....
Not a bad day yesterday but colder. At 19:00 it was clear, bright stars and a half moon rising in the SE. Colder. Same this morning with scattered clouds and as usual the overcast seems to be more even with light spots of rain in the wind. The glass is back slightly at just over 1023mb. The forecast is for an overcast day, a bit brighter at times, no rain in the forecast. The constant moderate ENE wind will chill us to 8C for a high and 3C for a low with a wind chill that will take us down to close to freezing tonight. The outlook is for it to get colder and perhaps rain tomorrow.
06:00. A cool but acceptable walk. There us still the occasional spit of rain in the air from the 100% overcast but the wind is only just starting to rise so things could be a lot worse. Not a bad morning at all for late November!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It kept on spotting rain occasionally all day but never a real shower. At 19:00 it was dry with a cool breeze under a broken sky. First thing this morning we had just had a light shower from a sky that was mostly clear but with one or two large clouds. I've just looked out and it is overcast but still dry. The glass is down to 1014mb. The forecast is for it to be dry with some sun and the occasional shower from 7AM until 11AM when heavy cloud and serious rain is expected. The constant ENE wind is moderate and gives a high of 5C and a low of 2C with a 5C wind chill all day which will make it very cold in the wind. Wrap up warm if you are going out! It looks cold enough for some hail or sleet later in the day.
06:20. A mainly dry walk under an overcast sky. Just a few spits of rain as we got near home. That wind is cold, the Crombie with a thick padded shirt underneath was just about right!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Yesterday we had 36C and we sweltered. Last night we had quite a storm that resulted in over 80 State Emergency Service call-outs. Today we had 21C and the next two days will be about 15C with rain. Typical Spring weather, it doesn't seem to know what it's doing.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Margaret has been having hot weather in Perth as well Cathy.
Yesterday was the worst sort of November day. The cold rain set in as per the forecast and I pity anyone who had to work outside in it. At 19:00 the cloud was broken, there was a cold east wind and it was just about dry. First thing this morning we had just had a shower, I've just looked outside and we still have light cold rain from an overcast sky with a light breeze. The glass is down at 1002mb. The forecast is for this light cold rain to persist untl mid morning and then it will become dry and brighter with scattered cloud. The constant East wind is slightly less than yesterday but still enough to keep us cold and chill us if we are out in it. High of 4C and low of 0C, as much as 5C wind chill all day will ensure that it never feels better than freezing if you are in the wind.
05:45. God was good to us. When we went out just before 05:15 we still had light cold rain but it bated and Jack and I didn't get soaked. A quiet walk on a cold wet morning but nowhere near as bad as the conditions yesterday. I wish all of you the same luck!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We've just been for our late morning walk and got caught in a snotty shower of rain. Not far off sleet......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Had another almighty storm last night . One report says it resulted in 800 SES call-outs. All sort of water and wind damage.
C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_d0a662cea7bfff12ae6c66ffeeeec19f.jpg
C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_d0a662cea7bfff12ae6c66ffeeeec19f.jpg
More rain and windy conditions today and 17C.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm glad we don't have wind like that Cathy. All your pics the right way up!
The rain gave up eventually yesterday. At 19:00 we had broken cloud and a cold breeze but it was dry. This morning it's clear as a bell, almost calm and a hard white frost. The glass is up at a shade over 1015mb. The forecast is for it to cloud over by 07:77 and stay cloudy but dry all day. The constant light easterly is moderate and gives us 5C for the high and 3C for the low. The outlook is for the same sort of weather for the next few days. Some parts of the country further south had light snow yesterday, we must have been lucky.
06:10. A dry cold walk on a frosty morning under a partially clear sky with an enormous red, almost full, moon low in the NW. Good morning for Jack!Good scent and dry. My mother would have said that this is healthy weather. According to the forecast we have -1C but it is colder than that, I reckon -3 or -4C. very heavy frost on cars.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We had very light rain on the wind almost all day yesterday and it went dark early. At 19:00 it was overcast, cool and a light breeze and still light rain in the air. This morning it's cool and calm with intermittent light showers, not a lot of chance to see the full Frost Moon! The glass is down on 1012mb. The forecast is for the rain to cease shortly and then it brightens to give some sunny spells until 17:00 when the cloud thickens again. The constant light east wind chills us to a high of 5C and a low of 4C tonight with a 2 or 3C wind chill. No signs of any change in the outlook. It's definitely November!
Back home at 06:30 from the butcher's. A cold morning but calm and just about dry, still the odd light spit in the air. 100% overcast and no sight of the moon!
The only thing that grabbed my attention was a white van hurtling down the road on it's way towards Gisburn. One wonders about the sanity of some people....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

After a bright cold start yesterday the cloud came down and we were in wet, miserable mist all day.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It was a lousy day here Wendy at lower level. I hope it brightens up this morning!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It did brighten up a bit yesterday but not much. At 19:00 it was overcast, a slightly cool easterly wind and dry. This morning first thing it was calm, overcast and cool but dry, it's still the same. The glass is down slightly on 1009mb. The forecast is for a dry day, the overcast will clear before dawn and we will have a bright sunny day, clouding over again late tonight. The constant light to moderate ENE wind will give us a high of 7C and a low of 2C with a wind chill of -3C all day. Looks as though we might be treated to a bit of daylight! Always a nice thing in November. (I might see that moon again as well this morning!)

05:45. Nice walk. Cool but calm and a slight mist. When we first went out there was no sign of the moon but later I got a pic.

As you can see it's higher in the sky and so is not magnified by the atmosphere. Sorry about that! Nowhere near the size it was the day before yesterday.
I noticed that the insides of the windows of the former Majestic Discounts have been obscured by whitening. This might indicate work on the interior, or it might be simply to make it less obvious that the shop is deserted. We shall see. In the present climate, I suspect the latter is more likely.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The 'bright sunny day' was a bit late coming in, I think we had a West Coast forecast for East Coast weather. It was murky out to the East all day. At 19:00 it was overcast and cool but dry with a light east wind. First thing this morning we ah a thin overcast, the moon was visible through it, cool and calm. We've had our walk and the overcast is thicker but broken, stars and moon peeping through every now and again. The glass is rock steady on 1009mb. The forecast is for a dull cloudy day with the chance of a shower at any time. The constant light ENE wind gives a high of 6C and a low of 3C with a wind chill of 3 or 4C all day so wrap up warm!
The outlook for the two days will be similar but on Wednesday we get a much warmer day with the penalty of rain and slightly warmer thereafter.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday's dry day had light intermittent showers.... At 19:00 it was cool, a light breeze and dry under overcast. This morning first thing it was the same but dry, I've just looked out and it has cleared, we have a brilliant moon and stars. The glass is still rock solid at a shade under 1010mb. The forecast is for a brighter dry day with full sun late morning but going on the sky at the moment it could be better than this, they say it is cloudy at the moment! The constant light NE wind all day will give us a high of 6C and a low of 2C with a slight wind chill all day. Tomorrow looks to be similar at the moment but there is a massive Atlantic low coming in which at the moment means warmer but wetter with higher winds on Wednesday and this could start affecting us late tomorrow....
05:50. Back in from our walk. Light broken cloud is coming in from the east but it's thin, the moon is still visible through the clouds. The east wind is very light, it's dry and cold but not frosty, it doesn't get much better than this in late November! The birds were singing in Valley Gardens and I spotted one of them, I think it was a Wren, small birds with an amazing volume of complicated song! Add to that the fact I have no pain, am walking well and huge lungfuls of air that is like wine!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was a good day for the time of the year. At 19:00 we had a light breeze, it was overcast, cool and dry. This morning, both first thing and later (we have had our morning walk already) it is dry, almost calm and cool with a light cloud cover that is not obscuring the moon and some stars are visible in the gaps. There is a slight mist and a heavy dew. The glass had risen slightly but this morning is falling and and back on 1009mb. This is a precursor of the weather which is just hitting the northern waters. A massive Atlantic low pressure system is coming in with gale warnings in all northern waters and tonight and tomorrow it will start to affect us. The forecast for today is for a dry bright but overcast day until 13:00 when rain will come in and persist well into the evening. The constant ESE wind will be moderate and give a high of 5C and a low of 4C but note a wind chill of up to 5C all day so it will feel much colder. Wrap up warm and reckon on a wild day tomorrow but much warmer.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The rain came in yesterday and it was the worst sort of November rain cold (almost sleet) and horrible. At 19:00 it was overcast dry and cool. First thing this morning it was the same but there was evidence of a light shower during the night. Since then it has deteriorated, we have cold horrible rain and a rising wind. The glass is down on 987mb. The forecast is for rain at almost any time during the day, there may be a brief spell of dry weather late morning. The wind starts as a moderate SE wind but strengthens to a much stronger wind as it swings into the SW from Noon onwards. The high is 13C and the low 7C but don't be fooled, there is a constant wind chill of 4C all day so it will not be warm! Full wet weather gear for our walk!
06:05. We were lucky, the heavy rain ceased and the wind dropped as we went out. It was dry for twenty minutes but for the last ten minutes as we neared home it developed into a light drizzle. Jack is rubbed down, has had his sausage and is feeling no pain.
One thing I have noted but never commented on is the difference in speed between the Rolls workers heading North through Barlick and turning right at Gisburn Road school and the ones who are going to go left towards Bracewell and Gisburn. The former are travelling at a reasonable speed, the latter are going like hell! I can tell from the sound of their approach from behind me as I walk towards Valley gardens which way they are doing to turn. Work it out for yourself!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Its always the same on roundabouts (large or small) those approaching from what they consider to be the 'main' road think they have the right of way and can zoom across without ever slowing down. Even where you get the double stop lines prior the the roundabout entrance it makes no difference. I might add there seems to be an unwritten rule to never use your indicators at the leaving point so that you can change your mind if you want to.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

really mixed weather yesterday, almost all of it wet. At 19:00 it was not very windy but we had cold rain. This morning first thing it was dry with a light breeze but in the last hour it has started raining. The glass is down again on 989mb. The forecast is for rain all day apart from a brief lull in the early afternoon. The SW wind is going to rise and get gusty, we will have a high of 12C and a low of 6C with a wind chill of 4 or 5C all day. It's going to be a November day tempered only by a relatively mild wind.
06:00. God must love a trier! Once more we were lucky. Went out in full wet weather gear and five minutes into our walk the rain had bated and there was almost no wind. Good thing for Jack! So, a better walk than expected but I note that the glass is still falling fast.......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

A strong wind today, strong enough to deal a knockout blow to one of our neighbours trees. Fortunately there was no overall damage to our garden or walls. Global warming isn't just about higher temperatures, storm damage comes into it as well.
PB290011.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It's a Birch isn't it P? Was it dead? I ask because I have seen a few dead Birches lately.
Barlick is lucky with strong Westerlies, we are in the lee of Whitemoor so apart from a lot of dead twigs blown out of trees, no damage that I have seen. At 19:00 it was just about dry and still a stiff but mild breeze. This morning it's damp but dry and overcast with broken cloud, just starting to spot with rain half an hour ago and since then we have had a light shower, a waning crescent moon showing through a gap in the fast moving cloud but it's stopped raining. The glass fell to below 985 but is rising again and is on 989mb. The forecast is for a brighter day with rain or sunny spells at any time. The constant WSW wind is moderate and gusty but not as violent as yesterday. Slightly cooler with a high of 7C and a low of 4C with a 5C wind chill all day. So wrap up warm but get out there and have the cobwebs blown off!
06:45. Wet weather gear for our walk. The wind is cold and blustery and the broken clouds are moving fast so we have a quick succession of glimpses of the moon (Later in the day the sun) followed by short sharp showers of cold hard rain. I suspect that this is a snapshot of the day.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Wendy was the right side of the hill for wind yesterday. I had a look at her weather station from the link in her posts and the wind at Lower Burnt Hill was variable between 15-30mph. At the same time, if you clicked the link for the other side of the valley at Bleara Side it was gusting 50-60mph.
Ian

Return to “Seasons”