TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Cathy
VIP Member

Re: TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Post by Cathy »

Here's a sight that you'll recognize that I took this morning
WP_20190209_10_04_08_Pro.jpg
Yaye !
Back to blue skies this afternoon, but hopefully more rain will come next week. One of our local reservoir's is only half full and I noticed that one of our local duck ponds is completely dry :sad:
WP_20190209_13_10_57_Pro.jpg
Stay warm and dry.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

" Stay warm and dry" Unfortunately Cathy that's a tall order in Barlick this morning. I waited for a slight lull in the weather before I went out for our first walk so we have only just got back. We only went out to the Green and back, our normal later short morning walk. The idea was simply to let Jack have a good pee and a much needed bowel movement. He performed wonderfully despite being disoriented by the wind and heavy rain. It was violent but nowhere near as bad as it was a couple of hours earlier. Even so we were both glad to get back to a good rub-down. I'm sure that Maz will understand when I say that the biggest job was getting my waterproof leggings on.
Anyway, that's over with, Jack has had his sausage and a good rub down and I don't think he's feeling deprived (we had another spike then and the computer went down again! Luckily Firefox is good at remembering where it was up to. I think I'll post this before it happens again!
07:30. Just had a quick trip to the Coop, the wind has dropped a lot and the rain has bated. Still a lousy morning but lots better than earlier!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

It was a wild night, I woke about 2.30am and lay awake till nearly five trying to convince myself that nothing terrible was going to happen. Our weather station recorded a gust of 65 mph but I'm sure it was worse than that. Bleara Side recorded 75 mph but they are fully exposed to a South westerly. I understand that power was lost in parts of Earby.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I thought it would be rough Wendy, it was frightening down here even in our relatively sheltered conditions.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Well I hope none of you become Tumbleweed if you happen to venture outdoors. :smile:
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I'm relieved that my poly tunnel is still intact! An inch thick stone flag has been blown off the top of my low patio wall and smashed though.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That says something about the design and construction of your poly tunnel Wendy! It takes a fair wind to blow a stone that size about.
We've just had our second walk, the usual one on the green. Jack was quite happy, delivered again and we are back. Still a gusty wind but no rain now and the wind is nothing compared to 3AM this morning!
Dinner and bed......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We got caught in a nasty hail and sleet shower at 15:00 on the Green.... but the wind was falling. At 20:00 it was breezy and dry. First thing this morning it was dry, calm and we had well broken cloud. It's the same now but 100% overcast. The glass rose fast during the night but has started falling again and is on 984mb. The forecast is for an overcast but mainly dry day with a chance of light showers late tonight. The constant westerly winds are light at the moment but will strengthen to moderate during the day. The high is 5C and the low 0C. The wind chill will vary with the strength of the wind and will be -5C in the middle of the day. From dusk onwards it will be enough to make the perceived temperature below freezing all night.
05:45. Back from a pleasant walk on my usual route through Valley Gardens. It's mild, calm quiet and dry, you couldn't expect anything better! Remember this the middle of 'the bleak midwinter'.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

On the whole a good day yesterday but surprising how cold that wind was in the afternoon. At 20:00 it was breezy, cold and dry, sight of the moon through thin cloud. First thing this morning it was the same with broken cloud, I've just had a look and it's the same, colder and more cloud. The glass is up again at 1011mb. The forecast is for a dry bright day with some sunny spells. The constant west wind is light and the high will be 6C and the low 3C. The wind chill is -4C at the moment, will lessen but then go back to -3C later tonight. It will feel below freezing until mid morning.
05:45. A good walk on a cold dry calm morning with the cloud breaking and allowing the stars to peep through.
I was talking to a lady in Butts on her way to start her shift at 05:30 this morning at Carlson's. I told her I was surprised to see her yesterday and she told me that for the last couple of months they had been on 7 day working, the money is good but she's 64 and only has to work until next January. We agreed that it was probably stock piling for Brexit and her hours could drop after March. She says she will be glad!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Stanley wrote: 11 Feb 2019, 04:55 the money is good but she's 64 and only has to work until next January.
She may be able to finish but she will fall into the WASPI trap if she has only just turned 64. She will not get her state pension until she is 66.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

No, I asked her and she has already had her penalty, the new regs came in a few months before expected retirement at 60 and they added 5 years to her sentence. The later changes don't affect her she said.
Decent day yesterday but still a cold wind. At 20:00 it was cold, clear and a good sight of the moon. First thing this morning, calm, totally clear and cold but no frost as yet. I suspect a grass frost is developing now as there are still some stars peeping through but I suspect a light overcast is coming in. (Hard to tell in the dark!) The glass is up again on 1024mb. The forecast is for a more overcast, dry day with a chance of rain after nightfall. The constant SW wind starts light but increases to moderate during the day giving a high of 9C and a low of 7C but with a -3C wind chill all day. Very mild for mid February, winter is being very kind to us. (Which paper was it that forecast a hard winter????)
05:45. A perfect mid-winter walk. Calm, dry, overcast so no frost. It doesn't get any better than this in February. Looks like a good walking day....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Stanley wrote: 12 Feb 2019, 04:21 No, I asked her and she has already had her penalty, the new regs came in a few months before expected retirement at 60 and they added 5 years to her sentence. The later changes don't affect her she said.
She may not be aware of later changes that moved the gateposts again. I only commented because if her birthday is in January she is three months younger than Sally to whom these changes did impact. The crux of the WASPI debate is that thousands of women were not told or kept up to date on the legislation and consequently had no knowledge of the dates that they would reach pension age. If her birthday is in January I fear she may have fallen into this trap also.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You could be right.....
Yesterday was mild and a bit more showery than the forecast but only light mizzle. At 20:00 it was mild calm and broken clouds. Same this morning first thing, very mild but dry and it hasn't changed. The glass is rock steady on 1024mb same as yesterday. The forecast is for a bright overcast day with no rain. The steady SW wind will be moderate all day giving a high of 8C and a low of 5C with a constant -3C wind chill all day. The outlook is for this mild weather to stay with us.
I noticed that the Daffs are budding on the Green and the Crocus have burst into bloom. The first tentative signs that the season is changing.....
06:05. Back home after a very acceptable walk. Very mild, a moderate SW wind, 100% overcast and very light mizzle blowing in on the wind. Not enough to demand waterproofs but damp. Bit slower this morning as the BCG is affecting me but I believe this morning walk is one of the main reasons why I am so 'lucky'. Sometimes we make our own luck...... (Ian is a good example!)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was a good day, at 20:00 it was dry calm and clear, same first thing this morning but by the time we went out for our walk it was overcast but still calm and dry, as we walked round (a bit of an effort at the moment!) the overcast started to break. The glass is still steady, it's on 1025mb. The forecast is for a dry bright day. The constant but variable light southerly winds will give us a high of 10C and a low of 0C. With a wind chill of -4C at the moment but soon dropping to only -1C for the rest of the day. It's too early but very close to Spring-like today. Good for walkers and Dennis and Sparky!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was almost Spring-like, plenty of sun and little wind but not balmy! We still have that nip in the air to remind us that it is winter! At 20:00 it was clear calm dry and not too cold. First thing this morning it was the same but it's clouding over a bit now, still dry. The glass is down a bit on 1021mb. The forecast is dead simple, a clear sunny day all day. The constant southerly wind starts light and increases slightly as the day progresses giving a high of 11C and a low of 6C with a -1C wind chill during daylight but increasing to -3C as night falls. Nothing to complain about with this weather! Should be good for walking and very clear.
06:35. Back from our walk. I'll admit that the side effects from the BCG treatment are making walking for half an hour a challenge. However, I am convinced that it is an essential part of the campaign! I was surprised to find we have a sharp frost, the sky is clearing and stars are visible. Some pavements, particularly the ones in Valley Gardens were quite slippery so watch your step if you are out there! Apart from that it was a good walk with the prospect of a good day!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Perfect winter day yesterday, full sun and light until almost 18:00. Crocus on Green fully open. At 20:00 we had a clear sky, light breeze and it was mild. Same first thing this morning but some large well separated clouds. Still the same but a touch more breeze and the overcast is almost 100%. The glass is down on 1014mb. The forecast is almost as yesterday but with a bit more cloud. The constant southerly wind is moderate all day and gives a high of 10C and a low of 6C with a -3C wind chill all day. It's another cracker and there is no sign of change in the outlook, we're having a good winter!
05:20. That's right, we were out early. Nice walk on a mild breezy morning. Dry, cloud is breaking up again. Very quiet except for a Barn Owl on the Croft making itself heard.... This is exceptional weather, get out there and enjoy it. Dennis and Sparky will be suited!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Dennis and Sparky a very happy with this weather.They are still queuing at the gate to get back in the barn for their tea though.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Lovely! They are a credit to you.....
Just been to the Co-op and those clouds look a bit threatening, a shower of rain perhaps?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday the clouds never developed into rain and in the afternoon only the wind stopped it from being balmy! At 20:00 it was clear, light breeze and mild. Same first thing this morning, some scattered high cloud but otherwise clear and mild. Still the same now but as usual, more overcast. The glass is down a bit on 1007mb. The forecast is a repeat of yesterday, plenty of sun, some bright overcast and no rain. The constant moderate SW wind could gust to 30mph and the high is 11C and the low 6C. Wind chill is -4C all day. It's another excellent mid winter day! Get out there in it.
05:45. Another perfect walk. Breezy but mild and dry. The sky is clearing, stars in sight and an enormous yellow almost-full moon setting in the North. It becomes full on Wednesday. This and better will do.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Another good day yesterday! at 20:00 we had a light breeze, a clear sky and it was mild. Same first thing this morning with a brilliant almost full moon. Still dry now but as usual a bit of overcast has come in. The glass is down slightly at 1005mb. The forecast is for a more overcast day with the chance of a light shower mid morning and then more general rain late afternoon onwards. The constant moderate SW wind is still with us and it will be slightly cooler with a high of 8C and a low of 5C with a constant -4C wind chill all day. Not quite as good but still a good late February day!
06:05. Back from a bracing but enjoyable walk on a dry morning with a brisk breeze which makes it feel cool but no problem if you have a fleece under the Crombie! It's more overcast than yesterday, no stars and the almost full moon in the North was popping in and out of the cloud but never totally clear like it was yesterday. Despite the deterioration it's still a good morning, we could have much worse at this time of the year.
The days are steadily lengthening and this is my chief source of hope and pleasure! Not long since it was dusk at 15:00 on an overcast day.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Mixed day yesterday, got caught in a very fine wetting rain shower at 15:00, dead on time! At 20:00 it was windy, broken cloud and just starting to rain again. This morning first thing it was overcast, breezy and light rain. It's stopped raining at the moment but still overcast. The glass is up slightly at 1008mb. The forecast is for a dry overcast day with rain returning after nightfall. The constant SW wind is moderate but lighter than yesterday, high of 7C and low of 6C with a 3 or 4C wind chill all day. We can expect rain tomorrow and then warmer weather for the foreseeable future.
05:45. Back home after another good walk. The breeze is light, the cloud is breaking and it is dry. The almost full moon and stars are popping through the gaps. It's mild and anyone who complains about this weather is potty!
Saw my two Carlson ladies in Butts, on their way to another daily 12 hour shift. They're looking forward to Brexit as that means their hours may drop when stockpiling is complete!
Heard the owl again, this time down near the Corn Mill.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Occasional light showers yesterday but not a bad day. At 20:00 we had a breeze, very mild and just about dry under broken cloud. First thing this morning there had been a recent shower and it was overcast, still the same but no rain at the moment. The glass is down slightly on 1007mb. The forecast is a mixed picture of scattered showers all day. The constant SSW wind is moderate and gusty later giving a high of 9C and a low of 8C with a wind chill of -4C all day. The outlook is for warmer and brighter weather to come.
06:10. I decided it wasn't a waterproof walk and it proved correct. Dry, breezy, mild and 100% overcast. No stars and the full moon was hidden but giving enough moonglow to show that the cloud isn't even. It's a perfectly good morning.
I was interested hearing the Shipping Forecast because they described exactly what is influencing our weather at the moment. The Jet Stream is over the North of the Isles and is guiding the active low pressure systems that are marching in over the Atlantic north of Scotland. There is a large blocking high over Europe and this is bringing in warm air from the South which is what is benefiting us. Worth remembering that it was a blocking high over Northern Europe early this year that gave us the cold air from Siberia and the Beast from the East. It's a lottery isn't it and at the moment we are getting the kinder benefits from the South.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The forecast of mild weather and light showers was right yesterday. At 20:00 it was the same but only very light mizzle. First thing this morning we had a light breeze with mizzle, it was the same when we went out for our walk but the cloud was breaking and the full moon and some stars peeping through, just a bit of mizzle as we got back home. The breeze is light and it is mild. The glass up on 1015mb. The forecast is for a similar day to yesterday but less rain and more clear spells. The constant SW wind starts moderate but calms during the day. The High is 11C and the low 5C. The wind chill starts at -3C but as the wind drops moderates to -1C later. It's a milder day and this trend is set to continue.
The owl was still in Butts this morning and I have an idea another one was answering the call.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A very nice day yesterday, the wind was light in the afternoon and it was close to Spring-like. At 20:00 it was calm, clear, dry and mild. Same first thing this morning and it's not changed since. The glass is up again at 1026mb. The forecast is for a dry clear day with plenty of sun. The constant mainly SE wind will start very light and apart from strengthening a bit in the middle of the day will stay light all day. High of 14C and a low of 5C with negligible wind chill. Best day so far, winter is being very kind to us.... (Let's see, who was it that was forecasting 'Snow Armageddon'?) (Mind you, in 1947 the snow started about now.....)
06:45. Back after a lovely walk (apart from the fact it is hard work at the moment!) Clear, calm mild a lovely moon and best of all, as we returned there was a proper dawn in the East with light blue sky and a rosy glow where the sun was rising. The days are opening up nicely, we may have wintered yet again!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Lovely day yesterday, can't remember a better February day.... At 20:00 it was calm, very mild and dry with broken cloud. Same this morning first thing and I have just looked out and no change, thin overcast and a light breeze, the temperature in old money is 50F. The glass is rock steady on 1027mb. The forecast is quite simple, a dry sunny day in prospect. The constant southerly wind is moderate giving a high of 14C and a low of 7C tonight with a -2C wind chill all day. You couldn't ask for anything better in late February!
Weather wise... A perfect walk however marred by one thing.
Jack and I were walking up Butts, him off the lead of course as usual and we met three men with a terrier on a lead and a big black Lurcher running loose. You've guessed it, the Lurcher went straight for Jack, grabbed his back and shook him like a rat, it knew it's job. Jack bolted and after I had told the bastards exactly what I thought about them and set off after Jack hoping he would head straight for home. I was right, Brian was out with his dog, saw him, knew something was wrong and shut him in the back yard. I got him inside, gave him a sausage which he ate immediately and I examined him. Judge my relief when I found no wounds, when the Lurcher picked him up it must have been by his harness. He's lay quiet behind me and I think we have been lucky.
I rang 101 and got through straight away. I told the lady I knew they couldn't send the 7the Cavalry but they need to know these buggers are about after game. She said she'll alert a patrol car to have a poke round Brogden and Bracewell.
I have had a whisky.......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Seasons”