TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Post by Stanley »

Best recommendation for yesterday was that kids were playing in the back street for most of the afternoon. At 21:00 it was calm cold and dry but overcast. First thing this morning was the same, it hasn't changed since. The glass is down a touch on 1018mb. The forecast is for rain to come in early this morning and persist until this evening. The wind is a constant SW starting light but becoming moderate later giving a high of 10C a low of 4C and a chill of -3c at its strongest later in the day. The outlook is for similar temperatures but perhaps less chance of rain.
05:30. I've had my early walk. No change in the weather as yet. Still calm, cool overcast and dry. Question is, for how long?
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The rain came in at about 9AM and ceased after 3PM in the afternoon. At 21:00 it was calm, cold and overcast but drying up. First thing this morning it was cold, dry and a clear sky. We still have stars and a big crescent moon low in the East. The glass is falling, it is on 1006mb. The forecast is for rain to come in this morning and persist until this evening. The northerly wind starts light but becomes moderate later giving a high of 11C and a low of 8C with as much as -3C wind chill later today. The outlook is for very similar weather but perhaps drier. It's back end...
05:35. Back from a good walk on a cold, calm dry morning. There is some light cloud but not enough to hide the moon, the stars and most noticeable, a very clear red Mars low in the ESE. The next time it will be as close as this is in 2035. I have never seen it as clearly or so red.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The forecast of a -3C wind chill yesterday afternoon was correct, it was bitter! At 21:00 it was calm, damp and overcast but not raining. It was the same first thing this morning and I have had my walk, Crescent moon just visible through thinning cloud, calm, cold and not raining. The glass is up on 1019mb. The forecast is for a mainly dry day starting by brightening to full sun then cloud and sunny spells for the rest of the day. The constant NE wind starts light then becomes moderate giving a high of 12C and a low of 5C with up to -3C wind chill again this afternoon. The outlook is for very similar weather for the next five days.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday afternoon was the same pattern as the day before, a very lazy wind. At 21:00 it was calm dry and overcast with slightly damp flags. Same this morning but no overnight rain. The glass is up slightly again on 1023mb. The forecast is for a dry day with a cloudy start improving to sunny intervals. The mainly northerly wind starts light and becomes moderate giving a high of 11C and a low of 5C with a -2C chill this afternoon. The outlook is unchanged, similar mainly dry weather until the beginning of next week when there may be a chance of rain.
05:20. A cool, calm and dry walk. Cool enough to make your breath steam.
Listening to the shipping forecast I note that my barometer is in line with the reading at Ronaldsway on the IOM. The discrepancy I noted seems to be at the very low readings. I shall keep monitoring it before I do anything about it.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was a re-run of the day before. At 21:00 it was calm, cool, 80% light overcast and dry. It was the same first thing this morning and on my early walk. Very quiet, calm, cool and high broken light cloud with enough gaps to allow some stars to peep though. The glass is rock solid on 1023mb and a good indication of how settled the weather is. The forecast is again, a re-run of yesterday, a dry cool day starting partly cloudy and during the morning improving to give sunny spells for the rest of the day. The wind is light and Northerly giving a high of 11C and a low of 6C with a -2C wind chill this afternoon. The outlook is for similar quiet weather, perhaps a bit cooler for the next three days and after that not much change apart from an increasing likelihood of a shower. Very quiet settled weather.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday afternoon was good, plenty of sun and only a light wind. At 21:00 it was calm, dry and a partly clear sky. Same first thing this morning and I have just looked out, still calm and dry but I think the cloud has increased, hard to see. The glass has fallen slightly to 1021mb. The forecast is a re-run of yesterday but with much more cloud. The wind is a constant light northerly giving a high of 11C and a low of 7C with a -2C wind chill this afternoon. The outlook is for another day like this and then perhaps some slightly more unsettled weather from Sunday onwards.
05:20. Back from a quiet walk. It's calm, cool, dry and overcast. Nobody can complain about October weather like this!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Very little sun yesterday afternoon but the light breeze didn't bother us. At 21:00 it was calm, dry and overcast, same thing first thing this morning and it hasn't changed since then. The glass is unchanged, steady on 1021mb. The forecast is equally settled, basically it's a rerun of yesterday, overcast and dry. The wind is very light, even lighter than yesterday. It starts in the east but is mainly around SW all day giving a high of 10C a low of 8C and negligible wind chill. No change in the outlook, another dry overcast day tomorrow, chance of showers on Tuesday but very quiet and dry for the rest of the week.
05:35. Like yesterday, a very quiet walk. It's calm, dry, and overcast but the cloud might be breaking a bit. The only thing I noted was that this year's leaf fall is quietly underway despite the absence of any frost. The streets in the town centre are all carpeted with leaves, no wind to move them along.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Another quiet quiet and very acceptable day yesterday, no sun in the afternoon but no wind either. At 21:00 it was calm dry and overcast by broken cloud. First thing this morning it was the same but with a light breeze. I've just popped out and we have just had a very light spattering of big spots of rain. The glass is down on 1014mb, looks like a bit of a change, we could lose the quiet weather. The forecast doesn't mention rain until this afternoon, cloudy all day. The wind will be southerly and more of it, gusting to 30mph this afternoon. We will have a high of 11C and a low of 8C with a -3C chill as the wind gets up. The outlook is for a better and brighter day tomorrow but then back into unsettled weather like today but nothing serious in the offing.
05:05. Back from an early walk and it was a good call. It's windy, cool and overcast. It was dry as I was walking round but as I got back home a shower of rain came in just as was entering my back yard. I have had a look and it was only a spatter of rain, not a full shower.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Another quiet day yesterday. At 21:00 we had light rain but first thing this morning we had a light breeze and it was bone dry, half an hour later we had heavy rain and I have just looked outside, it's calm now and the rain has stopped. The glass is back on 993mb and falling quickly. The forecast says the cloud will clear and we will have a sunny day with occasional light showers this afternoon. The wind is a constant moderate southerly gusting to 30mph later giving a surprising high of 15C and a low of 11C with a chill of as much as -3C when the wind is strongest. The outlook is for colder, cloudy and showery weather for the rest of the week.
05:30. Back from a strange walk. It started out calm, mild and dry, wet underfoot from the previous rain but very pleasant. As I came home again it all changed, a cold wind sprang up and we had a sharp shower. Very unsettled.
Things weren't improved when I saw something that at first made me d my eyes. The conical emitters which are part of the Xmas lights have been attached to the street lamps on Skipton Road. Some mistake surely!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday afternoon was mainly dry and quite pleasant. At 21:00 we had scattered cloud with some stars peeping through but also some scattered raindrops. First thing this morning we had steady rain but this bated just before I went for my early walk, mild, a light breeze, overcast and just a few spots of rain. The glass Is down slightly on 989mb and still falling. The forecast is for rain in varying amounts all day but later the cloud will break perhaps and we might have sunny spells late this afternoon. The southerly wind is light to moderate all day giving a high of 13C and a low of 8C with a slight wind chill. The outlook is for similar unsettled weather for the next five days, it could be a bit cooler for the next two days. I get the feeling we are being quite lucky with our weather.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was OK if you managed to dodge the showers, particularly in the afternoon. At 21:00 it was dry with broken cloud and a light wind. First thing this morning it was the same but as I write we have light rain coming in. The glass is up on 994mb and rising. The forecast is for rain all day until early evening when it could brighten up a bit. The wind is a constant brisk SW gusting to almost 40mph at times giving a high of 9C and a low of 5C with as much as -4C wind chill. A colder day. The outlook for the next two days is similar to today, cold wet and windy. Then it brightens up a bit. Looks like full waterproofs all day, wrap up well, not a good day for walking.
05:20. Back from an early walk. Broken cloud, a cold wind and very light rain blowing in but not enough to demand waterproofs. Going out early may have been a good call.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It was a cold but on the whole, bright afternoon. At 21:00 it was calm, dry and cold. Same thing first thing this morning, I've just popped out and the only change is that a light breeze has arrived. The glass is up and steady on 1000mb. The forecast is for an overcast day, rain late in the morning and then clearing and brightening late afternoon. The wind is a constant moderate but gusty cold SW giving a high of 10C and a low of 6C with a -3C chill all day. Wrap up warm! The outlook is for similar mixed cooler weather for the next five days.
05:25. A bracing walk. Overcast, dry, breezy and cold. We are getting very close to Crombie weather!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We had showers all day but I was lucky, I had three dry walks! At 21:00 it was overcast and breezy, cold but dry. Same first thing this morning and I have just popped out, the wind has dropped and light rain has started, very cold. The glass is down on 995mb and still falling. The forecast is for heavy rain to come in from 10:00 onwards. The brisk southerly wind will gust to as much as 45mh this morning giving a high of 11C and a low of 6C with as much as a -4C wind chill. Wrap up warm and dry! The outlook is for similar unsettled weather over the next five days.
05:10. Yes, an early walk. It's getting breezy, overcast, cool but dry at the moment. The overcast looks slightly broken at the moment, the rain at 10:00 could be correct.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Just had second walk, it's windy out there and cold. Odd spots of rain on the wind but still dry. Nice to be back in the warm!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I was lucky again and had three dry walks but there was plenty of cold rain driven by strong wind. At 21:00 it was breezy but dry. First thing this morning we had a light breeze and a clear sky. I've just looked out and we have light overcast now and more wind, it's cold. The glass is down on 984mb. The forecast is light showers changing to sunny intervals by late morning then dry. We have the same brisk SW wind as yesterday gusting at times to almost 40mph and giving a high of 10C and a low of 6C with a -4C wind chill at times. It will be cold so wrap up well! The outlook is for changeable weather all week and possibly significant rain on Thursday and Friday.
05:00. Back from a cold but dry walk. There's a cold wind but the sky is as clear as first thing this morning. A bright Venus and a very red Mars are low in the sky to the East.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I was lucky and got a dry afternoon walk in but then we had a spell of rain. At 21:00 it was dry and cold with a clear sky. Same this morning first thing but by the time I went for a walk at 5AM we had cloud and as I got back home it started raining and has developed into steady, cold significant rain. The glass is steady on 983mb. (I've been checking with the IOM readings at Ronaldsway and they are in step, no sign of my barometer being too pessimistic.) The forecast gives rain all day. The wind starts in the South but then trends to the West and is brisk, gusting to over 35mh at times. The high will be 9C and the low 6C with as much as -4C chill. The outlook is for similar unsettled weather to continue.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Basically we had rain on and off all day until evening. By 21:00 It was dry and the sky was starting to clear. First thing this morning we had 50% clear sky and stars in the east and 50% cloud in the west. Two hours later it was raining. The glass is steady on 989mb. The forecast is very similar to yesterday, we start cloudy and occasionally wet and by 08:00 the rain has settled in and will last all day. The mainly SW wind is moderate and gusts at times to 30mph. It gives a high of 10C and a low of 6C with a wind chill reaching -3C at times. The outlook gives similar unsettled weather for the next five days.
05:30. It had stopped raining so we had a dry walk, a light cold wind and an overcast sky. Bit miserable really if I tell the truth! You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Very difficult to avoid rain yesterday. It was raining hard when I normally start thinking about my afternoon walk so I thought bugger it! But then we had a clear spell and I went but it started raining again as I got back home. At 21:00 it had stopped raining and the sky was clearing. First thing this morning we had dry cold conditions with a clear sky full of stars. Since then it has clouded over and we have steady rain. The glass has fluctuated over the last 24 hours but has ended up steady on 987mb. The forecast is for a day of showers and sunny intervals. The wind is a brisk SW gusting to 35mph giving a high of 9C and a low of 6C with a -4C wind chill when the wind is strongest this morning. Wrap up warm! The outlook has worsened overnight, 4 solid days of continuous rain. Sorry about that!
05:25. Full waterproofs and surprise surprise, clear sky full of stars and dry! Not complaining unlike the man I met face on at the bus stop who accused me of swearing at him when I said good morning! He went on and on even when I had crossed the road so I told him he was and ignorant bugger. I hadn't sworn at him but thought he might as well the benefit if that was what he believed. No accounting for folk!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Wall to wall sunshine here, so we did two walks. It still isn’t hot enough to wear shorts, but we are happy with sunshine. The beach looked beautiful today.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Ten minutes later Maz we had stair rod rain! You wouldn't be wearing shorts here.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was a cold day and I got caught in a heavy shower on my afternoon walk. At 21:00 it was dry and almost calm, we had a mostly clear sky with a full moon. First thing this morning it was the same but since than it has clouded over and we have rain. The glass is up on 1000mb and rising. The forecast is for rain all day, a yellow warning is in place. The constant SW wind is brisk and gusts to 40mph giving a high of 12C and a low of 11C with up to -3C wind chill. The outlook forecast is changing fast, tomorrow is no longer rain but mostly sunny once the overnight rain has cleared but then into rain again the following day. A confused picture. Keep an eye on the current forecast.
05:10. Back from an early walk. A dry walk but the wind is rising and it feels cold. It seemed to be a good idea to get out while it was dry.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The rain persisted yesterday to the extent that I scrubbed my afternoon walk. I value my exercise but there are limits! At 21:00 It had just about stopped raining, it was mild and we had a strong wind driving broken heavy cloud across the moon. First thing this morning it was mild, very windy and just very light rain driving on the wind. I have just been out for an early walk and it is still the same, a very gusty wind. The glass is rock steady on 1000mb. The forecast is strange, we are promised a dry day but at the same time we have a yellow warning of heavy rain. Take your pick! The SW wind starts very strongly gusting to 40mph but as the day goes on the wind drops and becomes westerly. We can expect a high of 12C and a low of 6C with a -3C wind chill at the moment but this falls during the day as the west wind drops to almost dead calm. The outlook is for heavy rain on Saturday and Sunday with yellow warnings then a shift to cooler brighter weather.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Be prepared for a very wet winter in Britain, there's a La Nina event on its way in the Pacific...
`'Moderate to strong' La Niña weather event develops in the Pacific' LINK
`A moderate to strong La Niña weather event has developed in the Pacific Ocean, according to the World Meteorological Organization (WMO). The naturally occurring phenomenon results in the large scale cooling of ocean surface temperature. This La Niña, which is set to last through the first quarter of 2021, will likely have a cooling effect on global temperatures. But it won't prevent 2020 from being one of the warmest years on record..'.

`If a really strong La Niña event were to occur, research suggests that the UK and Northern Europe might experience a very wet winter. Normally La Niña means countries like Indonesia and Australia can get much more rain than usual, and a more active monsoon occurs in southeast Asia. There are likely to be more storms in Canada and the northern US, often leading to snowy conditions. Southern US states can be hit by drought at the same time. The last time that a strong event developed was in 2010-2011. The WMO says there is a now around a 90% chance of tropical Pacific sea temperatures remaining at La Niña levels for the rest of this year. There is a 55% chance of the conditions persisting through the first quarter of next year. While a La Niña event normally exerts a cooling influence on the world, this is unlikely to make too much of a difference to 2020...'.

In other news the US is experiencing increasing dust storms and drought year by year.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Something to look forward to Peter. :biggrin2:
The confusing weather forecast yesterday sorted itself out as we had a reasonably dry day! What rain there was was very light. At 21:00 it was dry, mild and breezy with a clear sky and a moon giving enough light to read a newspaper First thing this morning it was cloudy, there had been a recent shower and it was mild. I've been for my early walk and it is breezy, cloudy, mild and dry but with a hint of rain on the wind. The glass rose quite a lot yesterday but has now fallen back to 1001mb and is still falling I think. Once again we have a yellow rain warning in the forecast which gives rain from now until sunset. The strong southerly wind gusts to 45mph all day giving a high of 14C and a low of 7C with a -4C wind chill. The outlook is for similar unsettled weather for the next five days. Yellow rain warnings in place for the next two days.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Heavy rain and strong winds all morning here in Somerset. Right now it's horizontal rain and like a hosepipe trained on the window!
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)

Return to “Seasons”