TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Post by Stanley »

Bright day yesterday and a touch warmer but not much. At 21:00 the sky was clear, there was a slight breeze and it was cold and dry. First thing this morning it was the same but with a ground mist that has cleared now. The glass is down on 1025mb. The forecast is for another sunny dry day like yesterday. The wind is a light to moderate westerly and gives us a high of 10C and a low of 4C tonight with a -2C wind chill most of the day. Tomorrow is forecast to be cloudier but no real change in sight.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Same story yesterday, lovely sunny day but also cold. Last night at 21:00 it was cold, breezy, dry and a clear sky. This morning first thing it was cool, a light breeze and dry. By the time we went for our walk at 05:45 it was daylight, dry, overcast, breezy and misty. The mist cleared as we were on our way round. The glass is down again at 1018mb. The forecast is for a dry overcast day. The light west wind will soon get into the Northern quadrant and the high will be 9C and the low 3C with a wind chill of -3C as the wind gets into the north. Not quite as good a day but still good for the time of the year. Wrap up warm again!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was warmer than forecast, almost balmy in the afternoon. At 21:00 (BST) it was clear and cool with a light NW wind. This morning first thing it was the same but overcast, still the same now. The glass is up slightly on 1022mb. The forecast is for a similar day to yesterday but cooler and slightly more cloud, however, if we get East coast weather there could be more sun..... The wind will shift into the East and be moderate all day giving a high of 8C and a low of 2C with a -3C wind chill. I've looked at the next few days and this East wind will be gone by Tuesday if the Met Office have it right. I don't trust the East wind at this time of the year, I've seen it burn off early growth and set everything back. We will see.....
05:40. Not surprisingly, a dark overcast and extremely quiet walk on the first morning after clock change. Very light wind and cool. Just enough light to take the inside unlit path through Valley Gardens. But it will soon get lighter and this was a good late winter walk.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Another good day yesterday, we got the east coast sun. At 21:00 it had just gone dark, almost a clear sky, a light breeze and cool but dry. This morning first thing it was calm, clear and cold, could be a frost developing. It's still the same. The glass is down very slightly but still almost 1022mb. The forecast is for a similar day to yesterday, dry with sunny spells. The wind is light and increases slightly during the day as it swings from easterly into the south. The high will be 10C and the low 3C tonight. The wind chill will be as much as -4C this morning but as the wind moves to the south it drops to -2C later on. The outlook is for similar weather despite what the Mail Online says about gales and wintry showers 'battering' us this week....
06:00. A quiet cool dry walk under an overcast sky. Nothing at all to complain about!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Definitely colder yesterday! At 20:00 we had broken cloud cover, a light breeze and it was cold. First thing this morning it was almost calm and we had steady wetting rain, no wind so it could be slow to clear. I've just looked outside and the rain is still constant but perhaps a bit lighter. The glass is down with a bump on 1001mb. The forecast is for the rain to slowly lessen until after 08:00 and thereafter sunny intervals but always with the chance of a shower. The constant moderate wind is westerly but occasionally tends to WNW, the important thing is it is not easterly! The high will be 6C and the low 0C. The wind chill reaches a peak of -5C around midday when the tends to the north but settles down to a constant -3C later. The outlook for the next two days is colder and a chance of a snow shower on high ground tomorrow but after Thursday it is forecast to warm up.
We needed this rain, I noticed that the ground was cracking on the Green yesterday.
06:10. We were lucky, by the time we went out the rain had become much more light and it was calm, so it wasn't a pain in the neck! Total overcast of course but coming light already, the sun is catching up with the clock change.... Verdict? Could have been much worse!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It turned out bright but cold in the afternoon. at 21:00 it was cold, breezy and dry under broken cloud. It was the same first thing this morning and I've just looked out and it is more calm but overcast, dry and cold. The glass is down again to a shade under 995mb. The forecast is for a dry but overcast day until nightfall when some rain will come in. The constant light wind starts as WSW but ends up tonight in the East. The high is 6C and the low 2C with a wind chill of -2C all day. It's another wrap up warm day!
05:55. A pleasant walk under breaking cloud. Calm and a sharp frost. This is good weather!
One continuing mystery.... There is often a car parked on the end of the spur of garden between Butts and Xarlson's outside yard. So what? The point being that it almost always has a flat near side front tyre. Not the same car this morning, it's a Land Rover Discovery. This must be the unluckiest driver in the world, or is there another explanation......
09:15. Just had our later walk and it's very cold and raining! That wasn't in the forecast.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

There was none of the dry weather forecast yesterday, it rained intermittently all day. At 20:00 it was cold and wet with light rain. This morning first thing it was overcast, light breeze and dry. I've just been out and it's the same now. The glass is even lower on 989mb. The forecast is for it to be overcast and dry until mid-afternoon when we can expect a band of rain. The constant moderate East wind gives a high of 8C and a low of 3C with a -4C wind chill rising to -5C tonight. I've looked at the next few days and it looks as though we are stuck with this East wind for at least five days even though it will get warmer. Sooner we get an Atlantic low the better!
05:55. A cold overcast walk but dry. If you are exposed to the wind it's cold. However it could be worse, the reports from other parts of the country especially in Tizer country are not good, we may be getting the best of what is available.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

One thing they got right about yesterday was the wind chill. it was bitter! I hate that East wind.... At 20:30 it was cold, overcast and raining. First thing this morning the sky was clear, the flags drying and it was cold. I've just looked outside and it's the same, I suspect a sharp frost is developing. The glass is up slightly on 994mb and still rising. The forecast is for a clear dry day with no rain forecast. The east wind is constant and moderate giving a high of 10C and a low of 3C but don't be fooled because there is a constant wind chill of as much as -5C but sometimes less all day. Not a bad day in prospect but wrap up warm!
06:15. A dry but very cold walk to the butcher's. No frost as yet but I have an idea we were very close to it. Good daylight as we walked home. Such an improvement!
I want this East wind to stop!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

If that wind had dropped yesterday afternoon would have been warm, as it was it was Crombie weather! First thing this morning it was dry and cold with what appeared to be thin overcast, no stars visible. It's still the same.... The glass is up on 1003mb and still rising. The forecast is that once the cloud clears by 08:00 we will have a sunny dry day. The constant moderate East wind gives a high of 11C and a low of 6C. The wind chill is -3C at the moment but by midday will have settled at -2C for the rest of the day, a slight improvement on yesterday.
The outlook for the next five days reports no let up in that East wind..... It often happens at this time of the year and it holds the grass back as well as keeping us chilled!
05:45. A nice walk on an overcast morning with a very light wind. Slightly misty and nowhere near as cold as yesterday. Only one thing marred it, I decided to take a different route out of Valley Gardens and what a good job I did. As I climbed up the hill to the steps out of the park with Jack in attendance there was a really serious growling bark from a dog I hadn't seen in the dark and if we had taken our usual route we would have walked straight into it. I know a serious bark when I hear it and I think we were lucky!
It's something that I have noted in the past, people who have seriously badly adjusted dogs tend to take them out early as there is less chance of meeting other dogs.... Why don't they just muzzle them?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday turned out quite mild because the East wind moderated in the afternoon. At 20:30 we had broken cloud, dry with a light wind and mild. It was the same first thing this morning and we have had our walk on a dry mild calm morning. Very quiet around the town but half drunk glasses of beer and broken glass on Church Street and a rubbish bin overturned in Albert Road. I suppose this is part of a 'good night out'! The glass is up very slightly and steady on a shade under 1005mb. This weather system is very slow moving. The forecast is for an overcast day with sunny spells and perhaps the chance of a light shower at teatime. The light to moderate east wind is constant and the high is 13C and the low of 6C with a wind chill which could reach -3C but for the greater part of the day is -1C. The outlook is better than it was forecast yesterday, no big change in prospect.
Looks like a perfect walking day......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 07 Apr 2019, 05:12 Very quiet around the town but half drunk glasses of beer and broken glass on Church Street and a rubbish bin overturned in Albert Road. I suppose this is part of a 'good night out'!
Me and P went out for a glass of beer at 7pm yesterday and all the pubs and bars were very busy, just had the one before a walk around the town so we were back home by 8pm. I must presume the dry weather encouraged people out.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I think you may be right Kev. Not rushing to get home and back in the warm.....
Still dull...... not looking very bright as yet.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Stanley wrote: 07 Apr 2019, 05:12 Very quiet around the town but half drunk glasses of beer and broken glass on Church Street and a rubbish bin overturned in Albert Road. I suppose this is part of a 'good night out'!
Not part of our good night out. We had been invited out to friends for an evening meal with a few others. Down the Coates end of town. Ellie and Keith did us proud, Ellie has a new kitchen and knows how to use it! Three lovely courses along with good banter and red and white wine. We walked home at just after 11pm and hardly saw a soul. I suppose the smattering of pubs we have left were not quite at kicking out time. Weather was probably as it is now but just darker. :smile:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Very little wind on a sunny afternoon and it was mild. At 20:30 it was calm, overcast, dry and mild. First thing this morning it is a clear sky but still calm and mild. The glass is up on 1008mb and rising, a good sign.... The forecast is good, dry with lots of sun. The constant east wind is moderate and gives a high of 14C and a low of 5C with a -2 or -3C wind chill all day. No complaints if this is accurate.....
06:10. A very acceptable walk. Light cloud, almost calm, dry and relatively mild. That's it! It looks good for the rest of the day. (The glass is still rising steadily....)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nice day yesterday. At 20:00 it was overcast, dry and mild. First thing this morning we had a mainly clear sky and it was cooler but dry, just had a look and no stars visible now but still dry. Glass up again at almost 1014mb. The forecast is for a bright dry day with some sun. The constant ENE wind is stronger today and it wil1Cl be cooler, high of 9C and a low of 1C, there will be a -4C wind chill all day. Despite the East wind the grass is moving, I see that a light cut has been taken in Valley Gardens already and yesterday they were cutting the grass at the church.
06:05. They were right about that wind chill! We have a brisk breeze and now I am back in the warm my face is glowing! Nevertheless it is dry and we are back to where we were before the clocks changed, some street lights going out as I neared home, largely because big clear patches are coming in from the East.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Bright afternoon but very chilly, Crombie walks all day. At 20:30 we had broken cloud with a sight of the crescent moon, a breeze and very cold. It was the same first thing this morning and clear sky, still the same. The glass is up on 1017mb. The forecast is for a clear day with full sun. The constant moderate East wind gives a high of 9C and a low of -2C tonight with a wind chill of -3C all day. So, expect a frost this morning and tomorrow. The outlook is for similar weather..... Good walking again but wrap up well, this is a Crombie day!
06:15. Bit later out and broad daylight when we got home. There is a light frost and the wind hasn't go going yet so though cold, it is a pleasant morning for late winter.
I met one man in Butts who complained it was cold. I agreed with him but privately wondered what he expacted at this time of the year. If you want warm, move South!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was a perfect day, full sun all day but a sneaky east wind! At 21:00 last night it was clear, calm and cold, same first thing this morning with a brilliant setting crescent moon. Still the same now. The glass is up again on 1022mb. The forecast is for a re-run of yesterday, dry and lots of sun. The constant east wind is lighter giving a high of 9C and a low of 0C tonight with a constant -2C wind chill. The outlook is similar possibly warming up from next Monday onwards. Another good walking day!
06:00. Calm clear sky and a sharp frost for our walk. Nothing to complain about as long as you are wrapped up warm.
I saw a smart looking Transit Type van parked in Church Street and it looked different. It was it was a make I have never seen before, Saic Motor. THIS Wikipedia entry explains it. It is a Chinese company based in Shanghai and if you read the link has interests in some major western brands.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was another lovely day but with that cold east wind! Last night at 21:00 it was calm, dry, clear and cold. Same this morning. The glass is up slightly on 1024mb. The forecast is for another dry day with sun but a touch more cloud about. The constant light to moderate East wind gives a high of 8C and a low of -1C tonight. There will be a -3C wind chill for most of the day.
The outlook is for this weather to last until Monday. From Tuesday onwards it might warm up a bit. At the moment the blocking high over Scandinavia is holding back the warmer Atlantic winds.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Bit more cloud about yesterday but not a bad day at all. At 20:00 we had an almost clear sky, light wind and cold. This morning first thing, dry, calm and clear, still the same. The glass is up a shade on 1025mb. The forecast is for a re-run of yesterday, bright overcast and sunny spells but dry. The constant East wind starts light and strengthens slightly during the day. It is slightly different to what we have had recently, in any slight shift it is tending to the South rather than the north and this could be significant. It gives us a high of 8C and a low of -1C with a wind chill of -3 to -4C all day. So another good walking day but wrap up warm!
05:45. A slight frost, calm and getting light. What's not to like! I have had much worse mornings at this time of year.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Bright yesterday but cold, Crombie all day! At 20:30 it was clear calm and cold, it's the same this morning first thing, just looked out and no change. The glass is down a shade at 1023mb. The forecast is for another re-run, more cloud, some sun and dry all day. The constant east wind gives us a high of 7C and a low of 1C with a wind chill of -4C all day. Tomorrow it could warm up a bit but don't hold your breath! On Friday we have a full moon and look for the weather changing.......
05:40. That's right we were out early on a dry, calm frosty morning. Getting light quickly as the sky is clear apart from a few wisps of high cloud. Very quiet walk, only two young men about, out for an early walk? Oh, and also one figure running like hell down Skipton Road at Bout 05:20, some wrongdoing? Definitely on a mission!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It was a Crombie day all day yesterday, even I have to admit that wind was cold. At 20:00 we had an almost clear sky, breezy cold and dry. This morning we have broken cloud and a light breeze but I don't think we'll have a frost which will be a change. The Glass is down a bit on 1021mb. The forecast is for a dry bright overcast day with sunny spells. The constant ESE wind is moderate and gives a high of 11C and a low of 6C with a -3 or -4C wind chill all day. It's another Crombie day. The outlook is for warmer weather but we will still have that east wind. As I said earlier, when it sets in at this time of the year it is stubborn!
05:55. It's overcast and very slightly misty, no frost but enough breeze to make it feel colder than yesterday. It's a thin wind!
Little Mysteries.... Remember me commenting on the 4X4 with a flat tyre in Butts about ten days ago? It's still sat there....
Another one for you. A chair and a scarf sat on the pavement in Church Street. Not usual. Don't ask me why......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Missed yesterday's weather, but it was sunny and warmer.... At 20:30 it was breezy, dry and not as cold. First thing this morning the same. Just looked out and it's overcast, dry, a light breeze and warmer. The glass is down on 1013mb. The forecast is for a bright dray overcast day. The wind is a light ENE increasing later to a moderate Easterly. High of 10C and a low of 5C with a -3C wind chill. Improving and better to follow later this week.
05:50. We've had a short twenty minute walk round the Green, I know my limitations and I am still a bit unsteady. Quite enough for both of us. There is a light wind, overcast but dry and not as cold as it has been. A very promising morning and we will soon be back into our stride. A good morning!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was cloudy and at times there was a hint of rain in the air but it never developed. At 20:30 we had a light breeze it was overcast but dry and warmer. Same this morning first thing and it is still the same now. The glass is up slightly, a shade over 1016mb. The forecast is for a dry and much brighter day, once the overcast burns off early in the morning we will have full sun all day. The constant light to moderate east wind gives us a high of 15C and a low of 7C with a -4C wind chill now but falling to -2 or -3 later. On the whole a much better day and if that wind would leave us alone it would be summery! However, we mustn't complain because it is that high pressure in the east that is giving us the fine weather as well as the chill. It will be a top coat warmer!
05:45. A much warmer morning, still Crombie weather but that will change. A very pleasant walk.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It didn't warm up until the afternoon but then it was quite pleasant. At 20:30 we had a clear sky and it was milder. Same this morning first thing and a brilliant almost full moon. Just looked out and it is the same, in old money it's 50F. The glass is up slightly on a shade over 1020mb. The forecast is for a dry bright overcast day with not much sun. The constant light to moderate East wind gives a high of 17C and a low of 7C tonight, the wind chill starts the day at -2C and increases to -3C after noon as the wind strengthens. I've looked ahead over the next five days and that easterly component of the wind stays with us so little chance of rain. Things are getting very dry.......
06:20. We went out a bit later and had the benefit of full daylight, a light wind and under an overcast sky. Listening to the Forecast on R4 I suspect we are getting east coast weather today. A pleasant walk and perhaps because I was out a bit later I noticed that suddenly, the Maples at the bottom of the Green and in Valley Gardens are well on towards full leaf. Jack had fun chasing a jogger on Railway Street who, despite me telling him that he was in no danger, was not amused. I told him that Jack is a good watchdog and anybody running is suspect!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A slight improvement in temperature yesterday despite the east wind and overcast. At 20:30 it was mild and dry with a light breeze. First thing this morning we had a brilliant full moon, calm, dry and mild. It's the same now. The glass rose slowly all day and this morning is on 1026mb. The forecast is for the thin high cloud we have at the moment to clear as it gets light and we are promised a dry day with full sun. The light East wind increases to moderate during the day and backs into ESE. The high will be 19C and the low 6C with a slight wind chill of -1C so an even milder feeling day. The outlook for the next five days is for similar weather, no rain in sight.....
Once again the full moon coincides with a change in the weather......
06:45. A very pleasant walk down to the butcher's. I went a bit later and had full daylight all the way. The sky is not totally clear yet but the sun is coming in under the high cloud in the East. Looks like a good day..... Now what we need is some westerly wind and Atlantic lows to give us rain!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Seasons”