TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Post by Stanley »

Last night at 21:00 it was calm. mild and the sky was clearing. This morning we have a clear sky and a light wind, it's mild and promising! The streets are paved with gold, I've just picked up 37p in loose change off the floor in Church Street. The glass is up a bit at 1020mb. The forecast is dead simple, wall to wall sunshine all day. The light wind is variable and starts in the East and finishes in the west, it's very light all day. The high is 18C and the low 9C. Red sky in the east but it's a good day with more to come!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

At 21:00 last night it was calm, clear, mild and growy. Same first thing this morning and the glass is rock steady on 1020mb. The forecast is for another good day, sun all day. The very light wind boxes the compass and we have a high of 22C and a low of 11C. Dead simple and we deserve it!
06:10. A pleasant walk on a perfect morning. There's a heavy dew and it's going to be a good day. I love the idea of Dennis and Sparky lying out in the paddock enjoying the weather.
I saw Mark the town streetsweeper this morning and asked him if it was true that after ten years service to the Council he finishes on Friday. He said yes. He's moving on to pastures new and I am sorry to see him go.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Dennis and Sparky need some breeze to be happy! Sparky is wearing his fly rug which protects him but he is still moving around restlessly trying to escape the (possibly imaginary) midges. I bring them inside when the breeze drops in the evening and put them back out when the sun goes down, hopefully the breeze will pick up a bit this morning. Glorious morning for humans and hens though!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I think you may be right Wendy, not that many flies about yet.....
At 21:00 it was a perfect evening, some odd wispy clouds about but otherwise beautiful. This morning it's calm and we have a clear sky, looks like a repeat performance. The glass is down a touch at 1014mb. The forecast is exactly the same as yesterday, wall to wall sun, light variable winds and 22C high 13C low tonight. The outlook is a bit cooler.....
06:00. A lovely walk, not a lot more to be said. Intoxicated people about, no doubt going home after a 'good night out'. It makes me realise what a peculiar and sheltered life I lead. It's quite amazing what a difference a few warm day can make to growth. Trees that were just misted with green a week ago are in full leaf and even the slow ones like Walnut and Ash are greening up.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

At 21:00 after a beautiful day it was an equally nice evening, calm, warm dry and a clear sky. First thing this morning it was the same and we have just had a very pleasant walk under a clear sky with everything looking green and growy. The blackbirds in Valley Gardens are too busy hunting worms to sing! The glass is down slightly again on just under 1005mb. The forecast is for it to be sunny until late afternoon when it will start to cloud over and there is a chance of a shower. The Atlantic Low is winning and today the wind is a constant westerly starting very light but soon increasing to moderate. The high is 14C and the low 6C. Back to more normal weather but still good growing conditions....
One little Mystery, I see a car parked regularly in the same spot in Butts and it always has at least one flat tyre, not the same one each time..... Doesn't affect me but it intrigues me.....
BTW, I saw the little white hen in Butts yesterday, it has survived the winter and looks fine as it forages for its grub. Quite evidently a tough little bugger!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The late afternoon warm rain came in on schedule, light and just right for the gardens! At 21:00 it was calm, a bit cooler and overcast. First thing this morning it was calm, dry, cool and a clear sky, I've just looked outside and it is the same but with a few very high wispy clouds and a heavy dew. The glass is rock steady on just over 1004mb. The forecast is for it to start clear, sunny and dry but gradually cloud over until by 16:00 we have steady rain setting in for the rest of the day. The constant SW wind starts very light and increases slightly all day giving a high of 12C and a low of 6C. The outlook is for it to be a shade cooler tomorrow but then revert to warmer weather.
06:10. A lovely quiet walk.

These two pics give an idea of how things have greened up in the last ten days. There is a heavy dew and we have full sun at the moment though the cloud is increasing as forecast. Even so, it's a nice early summer morning.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 09 May 2018, 03:56
I can see my old house from here :laugh5:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Blue door!
The rain came in on time yesterday, at 21:00 we were overcast, cooler a light west wind and a fine mizzle. This morning it's calm, overcast and the flags are damp but not raining. The glass is rising after falling a bit yesterday, it's on 1003mb. The forecast is for broken overcast with sunny spells and perhaps a light shower mid morning but then clearing and full sun for the rest of the day. The wind is a constant light SW until late tonight when it swings to SE giving a high of 11C and a low of 5C. The outlook is for it to be slightly warmer but no blazing sun!
06:05. A cool walk in a fresh breeze under clearing skies. No early morning sun until we were almost home when the Eastern horizon had cleared enough to let it through. Not blazing June yet.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The forecast was right, we had a sunny afternoon but the wind was stronger than forecast, it got quite gusty! At 21:00 it was calm, light high cloud and it was dry, a growy evening. This morning it appeared overcast first thing but it's calm and dry and clear now and the low sun is already coming in. The glass is up on 1010mb. The forecast is for it to be dry and sunny until noon but then the cloud starts to build and later tonight there will be some rain. The wind is a constant SE, very light at first but increasing to moderate and gusty later giving a 14C high and 6C low tonight, marginally warmer than yesterday but still a bit lower than average. The outlook is for similar weather for the foreseeable future.
06:25. A nice walk in full sun when we went out but by the time we got home it was clouding over but still bright. Nothing to grumble about.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It was cloudy at 21:00 last night and it rained overnight. First thing this morning the sky is clear, it's calm and the flags are drying. The glass is down a touch at 1008mb. The forecast is not very exciting, it will be overcast all day but no rain. The constant light West wind will give us a high of 13C and a low of 8C. Bit brighter tomorrow......
05:55. Bit of a surprise when we went out, it was foggy enough to blot out the view to the east completely. As we moved over the the west side of the town the fog cleared and there was plenty of blue sky coming in from the West. Low sun was lighting the houses on Tubber Hill but as we came back eastwards towards home it deteriorated and when we got home Coates was still blotted out. It looks as though there may be more sun than the forecast suggested. I hope so......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Blue sky up here Stanley but you are underneath a sea of mist....
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yes Wendy, I thought you might be having it better. We did later, the day was much sunnier than the forecast predicted. At 21:00 it was calm, mild and overcast. This morning we have light rain. The glass is down slightly at 1007mb. The forecast is for the rain to cease shortly and the day will be bright and sunny. The constant light west wind gives us a high of 14C and a low of 4C, a bit closer to the seasonal average for mid May.

06:10. The forecast was right, by the time we went out at 05:30 it had stopped raining and was drying up. The sky is still overcast and the light wind cool but it's a good morning and the birds are singing their hearts out. Pigeons, crows and starlings sharing a discarded slice of pizza in Town Square......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It turned out to be a good day yesterday and I suspect slightly warmer than forecast. At 21:00 it was calm, cool, almost a clear sky and broad daylight. This morning first thing it was calm, nippy and a clear sky, dawn showing in the East at 03:30. By the time we went out for our walk at 05:00 (the site had crashed on me) it was clear, full sun coming in, calm and a very slight grass frost, my breath was steaming. The glass is up at 1017mb. The forecast is for full sun all day and a clear night. The wind is constant, west and very light giving us 16C for a high and 6C for a low. Don't be fooled by the temperature, there could be some frost. The outlook is for it to cool a bit and then warm up again.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Lovely day yesterday and at 21:00 it was calm, clear and we still had low sun, I love this time of year! First thing this morning and now it is still dry, clear and nippy. The glass is is up slightly and steady on 1018mb. The forecast is for a dry sunny day clouding slightly later. The light west wind will increase slightly later and give us a high of 17C and a low tonight of 8C. This is another good day! 37 days until the longest day on June 21st and then as the better weather should be with us we start the slide towards winter! I always thing that's so unfair!
06:05.

Lovely walk on a good morning. Calm and bright. I couldn't resist this pic of the Copper Beech in front of Foresters Buildings. A credit to the town!
A rare sight in Valley Gardens, two ducks swimming in the mill race. Then the white hen foraging in Butts and as if that wasn't enough excitement, there was a very sociable Border Collie in Butts who was out for a walk on his own, he and Jack had a good time! Then as I was getting back home fog was forming in the bottoms out to the East, Coates was invisible. This is heavy enough to hold the sun back but it won't last long.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday followed the pattern of the day before, far better than forecast in the afternoon, lovely and sunny. At 21:00 it was mild, calm, light overcast and dry. Same first thing this morning and I've just looked out now, the cloud is heavier. The glass is up slightly at 1022mb. The forecast is for a dull morning with a chance of light rain from 6AM onwards but clearing after dinner, bright and sunny and a clear night. The wind is a constant NE and soon becomes moderate giving a high of 12C and a low tonight of 2C so expect a frost. A bit cooler than yesterday but we are getting off light, it will be slightly warmer tomorrow and for the rest of the week we have summer again!
06:00. A pleasant walk under an overcast sky with occasional spots of rain and a cool east wind but I have had a lot worse!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

When and why did the weather forecasters change from 'ground frost' to 'grass frost' ? I am assuming it is the same thing. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It's a fashion David I think. I have always used both terms.
Another nice day yesterday but cool. Calm clear and nippy at 21:00, same this morning. The glass is up slightly at 1025mb. The forecast is for a dry day with a sunny start and perhaps slightly more cloud in the afternoon, a clear night. The constant NE/E wind will be light giving a high of 14C and a low tonight of 3C. Outlook is for some warm weather over the weekend.
06:00. We started our walk in full sun, a calm morning and a car-roof frost which developed into a grass frost as we progressed and will eventually be a full blown ground frost..... Lovely morning, the sun is shining in at low level into foliage on trees and it is quite beautiful! This and better will do nicely!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Tripps wrote: 16 May 2018, 22:16 When and why did the weather forecasters change from 'ground frost' to 'grass frost' ? I am assuming it is the same thing. :smile:
Probably at the same time they disregarded the rotation of our planet around our star and organised the seasons to start at the beginnings of the months rather than at the correct time. :extrawink: I know I am a pedant in this regard and have deferred to a single weather thread to placate some but planetary rotation does tend to be a constant that has stood us in good stead for millennia. Whinge over and wooden spoon down. :biggrin2:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We're all entitled to a whinge at times Ian.....
Yesterday stuck to the forecast. At 21:00 last night it was cool, clear and calm, same this morning. the glass is down a bit at 1022mb. The forecast is for a dry bright day with plenty of sun. The wind is light and variable and will end up WNW giving us a high of 16C and a low of 6C. The outlook is good, even warmer for as far as I can see. Get the sun block out!
06:20. Back home after a nice walk on a clear sunny morning with a light frost. This and better will do nicely!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

At 21:00 last night it was clear, calm and mild with a crescent moon low in the WNW. It was the same first thing this morning and also when we went for our walk at 05:30. It's a perfect morning, dew but no frost and full sun from sunrise onwards. The glass is down slightly at 1020mb as the high slips slowly away to the East. The forecast is simple, full sun all day. The wind is light and soon changes from E to NW later tonight giving us 19C for a high and 9C as a low tonight. The outlook is for even warmer weather for the next five days, nothing nasty in sight! Not often we can say that!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

At 21:00 it was calm, clear and mild, same this morning. The glass is falling slowly on 1017mb. The forecast is for another warm sunny day. The wind is light and variable, mainly from the south giving us a high of 20C and a low of 9C tonight. The outlook is for the same..... Very pleasant weather.
05:50. We've had a perfect walk. A few wisps of cloud in the sky but full sun from sunrise onwards. A beautiful Barlick morning....

Remember me commenting on low sun and foliage? Here's a good example this morning in Valley Gardens.

A bit further along..... There are worse things than living in Barlick on days like this.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Last night at 21:00 it was calm, clear and very mild. Same this morning. The glass is falling and down slightly at 1015mb. The forecast is a re-run of yesterday, dry and sunny with a bit of fair weather cloud building after dinner. The light easterly wind is constant all day giving a high of 20C and a low of 9C tonight. Very settled weather and the gardens are loving it but of course drying out a bit......
05:40. An early walk on a nice morning but more mist in the bottoms than of late, enough in the East to block out the sunlight until now and it's still pale.
The Jackdaws have started nesting in the ventilator on the end of the old Pigeon Club. One of the louvres sticks up but every year it has fallen closed part way through the breeding season with disastrous consequences.... I think they are making the mistake again.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

At 21:00 last night there was a bit of change, the light wind was coming out of the north and bringing in cloud but it was still dry and mild. This morning it is calm, mild and dry with a clear sky. The glass is steady on 1015mb. The forecast is for a dry sunny day after a bit of cloud first thing. The wind is a constant NE and the high will be 17C and the low 8C tonight, a touch cooler. The outlook is similar but significantly warmer at the end of the week. Mr and Mrs Tiz have picked the best week of the year so far to inspect Cornwall.
06:00. A cooler walk due to the light NE wind which, as promised, is bringing in a bit of cloud but not enough to block the sun. Still good weather and a pleasure to walk, particularly in Valley Gardens.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

At 21:00 it was dry mild and clear with a light wind out of the east. Same this morning first thing and now. The glass has risen to 1020mb. The forecast is for a dry, mainly sunny day. The constant moderate east wind cools us down a bit, a high of 16C and a low of 8C tonight but the outlook is to get much warmer over the next five days and lots of sun.
06:05. Almost totally clear sky, full sun and only a slight haze, no mist. It's a good morning and listening to the forecast we are lucky here in the west, much of the country is covered in cloud. Lovely morning, a pleasure to be out in it especially when Jack meets a new girlfriend an Alsatian who fell for him immediately! Lovely.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Our luck is holding, good sun yesterday and at 21:00 a clear sky, light breeze and mild. Same this morning and the glass is steady on 1021mb. The forecast is for another day of full sun with no rain. The moderate east wind is constant and the high will be 18C and the low 9C tonight. A bit of cloud and rain tomorrow but then back into the twenties, sunny and dry for the foreseeable future. We need a spot of rain so that's OK.
06:10. Getting boring I know but another perfect walk, fresh but full sun and a clear sky. Jack met his mate Pepe the whippet and they had a good race round on the Green. Jack completely outclassed of course! Lovely to see dogs acting entirely naturally like that, it sets them up for the day.

The front garden has all deep-rooted and well established plants and so doesn't suffer when we have a dry spell but new bedding plants will be grateful for a drop of rain if it comes tomorrow.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Seasons”