TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Post by Wendyf »

A light covering of snow up here and on the tops that must have fallen around midnight.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That might account for the two cars covered with snow I saw Wendy.
Jest been for our second walk, murky, mizzly and a cold wind. Not a cheerful day!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The best that could be said about yesterday is that we had less wind and rain. Two ladies complimented me on my Crombie in the afternoon, not bad for an overcoat that is well over 40 years old.... At 20:00 it was clear, cold and dry with a light wind. This morning it was the same but a bit more overcast, just popped out and the overcast seems to be breaking a bit, still dry. The glass continues to rise slowly and is on 1002mb and steady. The forecast is for a dry, overcast day with light rain coming in at around 17:00. The wind is a very light southerly but this evening backs into the NE giving a high of 6C and a low of 1C with a -2C wind chill most of the day. The outlook is for colder weather until Saturday when it warms a bit and becomes wetter.
06:00. A pleasant walk on a calm, dry frosty morning. That's about it actually! This and better will do.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was cold but dry and later got very dull with low black cloud but still dry. At 20:00 we had broken cloud, a light breeze but still dry. First thing this morning it was cold but calm and dry and it hasn't changed. The glass is falling and is on 996mb. The forecast is for a dry, cold but bright day with a bit of sun. The wind is very light and variable all day and mainly an easterly giving a high of 6C and a low of 0C with a wind chill of about -3C all day. Could be a frost at the moment. Not bad as long as you wrap up warm. Tomorrow is similar but look for it to get warmer and wetter for the rest of the week.
06:00. A good walk on a calm dry morning with clear sky, a light ground mist and a sharp frost. Only item of note was some lights out on Skipton Road and the electricity board working on the sub station at the junction of Skipton Road and Gisburn Road. As we got back home I noted that the lights are back on. Also noticeable was that it was definitely lighter as we got back home, the days are lengthening. :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was a nice day, dry and almost Spring like in the early afternoon. At 20:00 we had a light breeze, clear sky, dry and cold. Same first thing this morning and I don't think it has changed. The glass is rock steady on 995mb. The forecast is for a bright, cloudy but dry day. The wind is very light and variable hitting all points of the compass until settling down as a light WSW later this evening. The high is 7C and the low 2C with a -2C wind chill, we shall start the day as yesterday with a frost until about 09:00. Looking good!
One small point, it's noticeable that the speed of the incoming red eye flights from the US to Europe is about 80mph less than it was a week ago when the jet stream was at its strongest. A pointer to what is happening over the Atlantic.
06:30. Back from a good walk to the butcher's. It was calm, dry, clear and frosty. An added bonus was it was daylight by the time we got back. Lovely......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Another good day yesterday, ideal walking weather! At 20:00 we had a light breeze and a clear sky, funnily enough we also had light rain, there must have been a cloud somewhere I couldn't see. This morning first thing it was overcast, calm and dry. It's still the same and I doubt if there will be a frost this morning. The glass is up and steady on 1006mb. The forecast is for an overcast day, light rain at almost any time and the rain getting heavier this evening and through the night. The moon is almost full, it will be complete on Monday. The wind is a constant SW and tends to increase during the day giving a high of 9C and a low of 6C with a wind chill of -4C most of the day. The outlook is warmer and wetter, Monday and Tuesday could bring some heavy rain.
06:00. Not a bad walk, light breeze, overcast and a very light mist blowing in the air, to light to be classed as rain but damp. Otherwise, nothing to report, all is quiet.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 07 Mar 2020, 04:11 The outlook is warmer and wetter, Monday and Tuesday could bring some heavy rain.
I'm almost looking forward to heavy rain just to test the repairs to my roof, gutter and a bit of pointing. It can go away then :-)
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

My men haven't turned up yet..... Hope yours is OK Kev.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I have to report I have cut my hair, in the short term this is going to be a rain dance, I hope it doesn't turn into a snow dance!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

It's cold out there!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That's what I thought Wendy, but thought it might be because I had cut my hair off. It's brighter than the forecast as well, who knows we might have an East Coast day!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Stanley wrote: 07 Mar 2020, 07:19 I have to report I have cut my hair,
Sally did mine yesterday. I always find it amazing that you feel the cold more after a trim, even if you don't have much to start with like me! :smile:
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 07 Mar 2020, 10:08
Stanley wrote: 07 Mar 2020, 07:19 I have to report I have cut my hair,
Sally did mine yesterday. I always find it amazing that you feel the cold more after a trim, even if you don't have much to start with like me! :smile:
I wet shave my head about once a week, just to join up the gaps :-) I do find myself wearing a hat a lot ..
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

You do have a way with words Big Kev - join up the gaps - love it! :laugh5:
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

:-)
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Big Kev wrote: 07 Mar 2020, 10:34 I do find myself wearing a hat a lot ..
So do I, I have taken to flat caps of late. :smile:
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 07 Mar 2020, 12:04
Big Kev wrote: 07 Mar 2020, 10:34 I do find myself wearing a hat a lot ..
So do I, I have taken to flat caps of late. :smile:
Me too, I have a very comfortable one with a quilted lining. I bought it at Pendle Village Mill, it's one from these people https://www.dentonhats.com/hats/
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Kev, I always run the electric razor across my head after I shear it, difference with me is that I only have one small bald patch at the back and when my hair grows I look like Albert Einstein. You must have more testosterone than me!
I always wear a hat or cap and always have. My boot fetish is equalled only by my hats and caps. My favourite winter cap is my Kromer Blizzard, made by the same people that make the brightly coloured welding caps, they are made of heavy padded wool. They're expensive but made by union labour in America. (LINK)
We were lucky yesterday, instead of the West coast forecast we got the east coast weather and it was mostly dry all day but a very cold wind. At 20:00 it was overcast, a light breeze and still dry. This morning we have cold rain. The glass rose yesterday but this morning is back on 991mb and falling. The forecast is for rain until mid-morning, then a spell of sunny intervals but rain comes in again at nightfall. The wind is a brisk WSW gusting to almost 40mph at times giving a high of 8C and a low of 4C. Wind chill of -5C in the strongest wind.
One thing that always strikes me is that Barlick is always at least one degree colder than the forecast, I think this is because of our elevation, the forecast doesn't allow for that. The outlook is more wind and rain.
05:30. Back from a shorter walk. It is horrible out there! Heavy cold rain driven by a brisk wind. I'm all for rational exercise but all I wanted this morning was a morning delivery from Jack and a good free trot for him on the green to empty his bladder, once we had achieved those goals we headed home in even heavier rain. We are both dry (apart from my trouser legs but they will soon dry). Jack is rubbed down and sausaged and feels no pain. On the whole a lousy morning and Wendy is in my thoughts, it will be even worse up there!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

It's usually 2° colder up here than it down there! The wind seems to have eased a little but it looks like a full waterproof day.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It's stopped raining down here Wendy and is brightening up. The forecast said it would bate about 10:00, it must be moving faster than anticipated.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Eat your hearts out! Taken 10 minutes ago and 31C in the shade.
A nice picture to brighten your day.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Just beautiful, China...
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We're a long way off that China, May time happen if we are lucky.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

That’s lovely China. Here in Adelaide we have a lovely cherry blossom time too, lots of suburban streets have the trees. Blooming starts around August and we have a Cherry Blossom Festival in October.
Our weather is ☀️ with 26 - 31C for the next few days. 😊 (No chance of rain).
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Big Kev wrote: 07 Mar 2020, 05:23
Stanley wrote: 07 Mar 2020, 04:11 The outlook is warmer and wetter, Monday and Tuesday could bring some heavy rain.
I'm almost looking forward to heavy rain just to test the repairs to my roof, gutter and a bit of pointing. It can go away then :-)
A bit of rain overnight, all good so far. I believe we're in for a bit more tonight, with the addition of the 40mph westerly wind that's forecast that'll be a fairly conclusive test
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹

Return to “Seasons”