TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

plaques
Donor

Re: TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Post by plaques »

Stanley wrote: 30 Nov 2018, 03:11 It's a Birch isn't it P? Was it dead? I ask because I have seen a few dead Birches lately.
Yes a silver birch. Not 100% dead but certainly one foot in the grave. The root bole looks like it had partly rotted through although there were the normal amount of leaves on it this year. What saved the day was that it was resting on quite a substantial laurel tree which broke its fall.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

PanBiker wrote: 30 Nov 2018, 10:21 Wendy was the right side of the hill for wind yesterday. I had a look at her weather station from the link in her posts and the wind at Lower Burnt Hill was variable between 15-30mph. At the same time, if you clicked the link for the other side of the valley at Bleara Side it was gusting 50-60mph.

It was a southerly for most of the day and we are well sheltered from that though the monitor indoors was reporting 40 to 50mph gusts occasionally.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm glad you had a relatively easy ride Wendy.....
Yesterday was a day of cold wind and intermittent showers, it was raining at 19:00 when I took Jack for his late pee. First thing this morning it was damp but dry with plenty of gaps in the cloud and a light breeze, I've just had another look and it has clouded over and there is very light rain in the wind. The glass is up at a shade over 998mb but tending to fall. The forecast is for a rainy day during daylight hours and murk and drizzle for the rest of the day, it will be dark early. The wind is never more than moderate and dodges about all day starting southerly then into the east and back to the south later. High of 7C and a low of 6C with 3 or 4C wind chill all day. November weather spills over into December.
05:55. We were out early and the cloud had thinned enough to give a sight of the crescent moon. As we walked round a slight mizzle came in on the wind but not really wet.... The wind is cold and it's damp but I suspect it will be worse later on. I've had worst walks in December!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It was slightly brighter at teatime than the forecast suggested but it was a wet day on the whole. At 19:00 we had an overcast sky, a light breeze and light rain. First thing this morning it was damp and calm but dry, an hour later it was raining. By 05:15 when we went for our walk it had stopped raining, the cloud had thinned and it's calm, so we got away with a Crombie Walk, no waterproofs. Very quiet and nobody about except for a young lad walking a small black bitch in Valley Gardens, I saw she was attractive and asked the lad if she was in season, he didn't understand me so I asked if she was on heat and he said yes. I put Jack on his lead and suggested he did the same with his bitch or she'd follow Jack. He didn't have a collar or lead with him and in the end had to pick her up and carry her. The young have much to learn!
The glass started to fall yesterday morning and is still falling this morning, it's a shade under 985mb. The forecast is for a similar day to yesterday, rain coming in about now and the possibility of a shower all day. The constant WSW wind will give us a high of 11C and a low of 7C is modified by a wind chill of 3C but 4C as the wind strengthens later. Not a cheerful day!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A wet gloomy day on the whole yesterday. At 19:00 it was overcast and raining. First thing this morning we had a breeze and light rain, it is just about dry at the moment but I am not holding my breath! The glass is steady on just under 986mb. The forecast is for occasional rain until mid morning and then drying and brightening for the rest of the day. The light to moderate west wind will give a high of 7C and a low of 1C with a wind chill of 3C. It's cooler and there is a chance of a frost tonight as the sky is set to clear during the afternoon and evening.
05:50. We were lucky, the cloud is breaking and we had a cold but dry walk with eventually a glimpse of the crescent moon and a few stars. It could have been much worse!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The forecast was quite accurate, wet in the morning but clearing after dinner. At 19:00 it was clear, dry and cold with a light west wind, breath steaming. This morning first thing it looked as though there had been a light shower during the night but it's almost clear now, cold enough for a frost to develop and calm. The glass rose all day yesterday and is on 1012mb and still rising. The forecast is for a dryer brighter day with some long sunny spells later in the morning. The wind is light, starts in the west but by the end of the day is in the south. The high will be 5C and the low 3C with a wind chill of 2 or 3C all day. Every chance of a grass frost.
06:00. It's a lot sharper frost than was forecast. The sky has cleared and the frost on the cars isn't the soft fluffy white stuff but clear hard Ice in fern patterns, the pavements are treacherous and it nips your ears! Nice to get back into the warm!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

My task yesterday was to move electric fencing down to the ponies winter paddock on the limestone part of our field. They have spent longer than usual in their summer paddock but the recent constant rain has turned it into a quagmire. It dried up enough by 11am to get outside and by mid afternoon it was glorious and almost warm in the sun. A lovely day to be outside and I had the job finished by 3.30 with time to get the stables mucked out and ponies tucked in with their tea before it got dark. Another good day expected today so I'll be able to collect in the remaining fencing and get Colin to set up the energiser and battery and help me to clear a blocked ditch. Back to wind and rain again tomorrow so I'm pleased to have got that job done.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Reading that has exhausted me..... You should have a good day today!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Yes, though it's thick mist up here just now!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Same down here Wendy and still freezing.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The afternoon sun never materialised, fog came in and persisted all day. At 19:00 it was clearing and cold. First thing this morning it was overcast and cold but dry, since then light rain has set in. The glass rose slightly during the night but has fallen back to 1012mb this morning. The forecast is for rain all day and fog coming in this evening. The wind is a constant light easterly until 17:00 when it swings into the west (This is when the rain stops.) The high is 6C and the low 5C but there is a 3 or 4C wind chill all day, at the moment the actual temperature is below freezing despite the rain which could be interesting.... Off for a wet walk.
05:50. The rain bated as we set off but half way round it came in again and by the time we got home was heavy cold rain. It was a cold morning out there and it's nice to get back into the warm! Jack is rubbed down and feeling no pain.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

We were lucky to be on higher ground yesterday as the mist cleared and left us in sunshine for most of the day. It was a quiet, almost still day and at one point I realised that amongst the sounds drifting up from the mist in the bottoms was the ringing of church bells. I'm thinking they must have been ringing changes at Ghyll Church.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Lovely picture, Summoned By Bells springs to mind......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Later after my daytime sleep. What a lousy wet dark day!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was horrible, real SAD country. Roll on December 21st! Last night at 19:00 it was overcast cold and damp but not actually raining. First thing this morning light rain and it's still the same now. The glass fell yesterday but has recovered slightly this morning and is on 1005mb. The forecast gives a damp foggy start with rain coming in about 9AM and persisting until 17:00. The constant SW/WSW wind is moderate and gives a high of 11C and a low of 7C with a wind chill of up to 4C during the rain. Not cheerful! There is some brighter, drier and colder weather in the outlook. we could have a bit of wind early tomorrow.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

This is Venus at 5.30am this morning, just 1/2 an hour before sunrise. It was 26C.
It's now 3.00pm and 39C.
WP_20181206_05_25_43_Pro.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nothing like that here Cathy!
We have just had a pleasant walk on a mild, dry morning. 100% overcast but it could be a lot worse and probably will be later on. No complaints!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It turned out to be another wet miserable dull day. At 19:00 it was raining. First thing this morning it was raining, I've just looked outside, steady moderate wetting rain. The glass started falling yesterday, it is still falling and is down to 990mb. The forecast is for this steady rain to last until 9AM and then become showers with bright intervals until nightfall when it reverts to steady rain again. The constant WSW wind is moderately strong and gusty all day getting worse as the day progresses, gust could reach 50mph. The high is 9C and the low 5C but you can subtract 5C all day wind chill at least. A good day for being indoors I think....... (Full wet weather gear for the morning walk!)
06:45. We got back after the worst wet walk we have had for many months. Strong winds and sheets of rain ensured that Jack has had an early bath, he's rubbed down now and digesting his morning sausage. As Colin Barritt said many years ago "The puddles are full!", water is flooding down the gutters and many gulley grates are blocked. Butts Beck is roaring in its bed, on any measure, this is a very wet morning and I am glad to be back in the hutch!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We got our brief respite but apart from that, rain all day! At 19:00 we had wind and rain. First thing this morning it was the same, wind and hard cold rain, at the moment it seems to have bated a bit but it's still windy, wet and cold. The glass was falling all day yesterday and has recovered a bit and settled on 989mb. The forecast says that this respite will hold until about 10:00 but then the rain comes back in and is heavy for the rest of the day. The wind is a constant blustery westerly with gusts reaching 40mph. The high will be 8C and the low 5C but with a 5C wind chill all day so wrap up well! The outlook is for the rain to cease about 4AM tomorrow and then we can have a sunny day! After that cooler but dryer.
05:45. It's been a Crombie walk, technically dry but occasional rain in the air. A blustery cold wind!

The DIY lights on Wellhouse Street have survived the wind.

Butts beck this morning, not as great a flow as yesterday but still considerable, we have had a lot of rain.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Another wet day. It was still raining at 19:00 and first thing this morning, it seems to have stopped now so perhaps their forecast was right. The glass fell slightly yesterday but it's trying to rise now and is on a shade over 987mb. The forecast is for the sky to be clear by 08:00 and full sun until nightfall, staying clear after that with no rain. The wind is mostly NW and will be light to moderate giving a high of 6C and a low of 3C with a 3C wind chill. Bit of an improvement!
06:00. The rain had started again but by the time we went out it had stopped and the cloud was breaking so we had a dry Crombie walk and as we turned for home stars were visible through breaks in the cloud. Definitely a better morning!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We had a dry day yesterday and at 19:00 last night it was cold and dry under a clear sky with a light NW wind. It was still like that first thing this morning but since then we have had light showers and a clouded sky and the wind is more westerly. The glass has jumped up to just over 1018mb. The forecast is for a dry bright day with some spells of sunshine. Perhaps a bit misty early in the day. The light wind starts in the West but during the day swings to the SE around nightfall. It gives us a high of 6C and a low of 3C with a slight wind chill all day. The outlook is for similar weather but colder on Wednesday and Thursday.
06:15. A dry cold walk under clearing skies, stars visible. I put a scarf on for the first time this year and was glad I did. Never mind, it could have been much worse and Jack retuned with a dry coat, always a good thing as far as he is concerned.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Plenty of sun yesterday. At 19:00 we had an almost clear sky after a red sunset. Cold in the light breeze. First thing this morning it was overcast dry and cold, just looked out and it is still the same. The glass rose slightly yesterday but has fallen back to 1020mb this morning. The forecast is boring, cloudy all day but dry. The light easterly wind gives a high of 7C and a low of 4C. 1C wind chill in the morning but that gets up to 3C later.
05:05. Back from an early walk. Cold, dry and very quiet. Just right
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I have no opinions about the weather yesterday! I didn't see any of it.... This morning first thing it was cold, calm dry and overcast. It's still the same. The glass is on 1016mb. The forecast is for a cold dry overcast day clearing later. The constant SE wind starts light and increases to moderate later giving is a high of 6C and a low of 1C. The wind chill is 2C at the moment but increases as the wind rises and the sky clears into this evening to 5C taking us down to a perceived -3C late tonight so expect a frost.
06:35. Today is going to be a day of short walks and I started by going across to Town Square to see my friend Barbara at Barlic Bites to let her know I am OK. She asked what I was going to be eating today and it dawned on me that my options were limited as I was half thinking I would be in Airedale for longer. I told her I had to address that and she gave me two plain teacakes so I can make bacon butties! (Sorry Wendy, let me off this once?) So that's sorted that. People are so kind....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

My best intentions went by the board yesterday, I kept away from the cold wind! Last night at 19:00 it was cold, calm, clear and dry. Same this morning first thing and it is still the same but perhaps overcast as usual! The glass is down slightly on 1012mb. The forecast is for a cold dry bright but overcast day, it starts to clear around noon and there could be sunny spells before nightfall, clear overnight. The constant moderate mainly SE to East wind gives us a colder day, high of 4C and a low of -2C with a 4 or 5C wind chill all day depending on the strength of the wind, the net result is below freezing all day. The message seems to be get out there but be sure to wrap up warm, definitely a Crombie and scarf morning!
06:05. Normal walk round Valley Gardens... No rushing and perfectly OK but my legs tell me I have missed a day... Full Crombie and scarf, buttoned up to the neck and beanie wings pulled down over my ears because that wind is bitter! But it's dry and healthy! Friday and Saturday are forecast to be even colder but on the whole dry. Having said that, they have salted the roads and I'll swear there was the occasional snowflake on my overcoat when we went out. Could be my imagination but I don't think so. It's certainly cold enough.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Anyone who was outside yesterday knows that it was bitterly cold in that wind. At 19:00 it was clear, a light breeze, dry and cold. It was the same this morning first thing and I've just popped my head out into the yard, overcast now I think but definitely freezing. The glass is up and is a shade over 1018mb. The forecast is for the overcast to clear by dawn and full sun all day, clouding over again perhaps after nightfall but then clearing again. This is what the old farmers used to call a 'brewing day', worse is to come! The wind is a constant light SE giving a high of 2C and a low of -1C but with a constant 4C wind chill which means it will feel like -5C at times. Tomorrow and Sunday are going to be equally cold and we can expect ice and some light snow at times. Winter is upon us.
We were back from our walk shortly after 06:30 because Kath was kind enough to deliver my meat yesterday so I didn't have to carry it. We have clearing skies and a hard frost with a very light wind. This morning was full Crombie and scarf plus my Damart Balaclava. I know I looked like Mother Russia but who cares? My ears were warm as toast! If you are properly dressed this is good weather but be ready for tomorrow. The Shipping forecast made it clear that the Atlantic systems are starting to push the blocking high over Scandinavia away to the East. If that warmer front come in quickly there will be little snow, just a change to rain. However, if it is slow to come in we could get a significant snow fall. The Council have evidently made their bet, they have salted again. It won't be the end of the world but the first fall of the winter (if it happens!).
Just heard from Margaret, it's 44C in Perth.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Seasons”