TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Post by Stanley »

Frosty until late afternoon when it started to warm a little. At 20:00 it was overcast, milder and dry. First thing this morning it was the same but a recent light spatter of raindrops. It's the same now but dry. The glass was rock steady all day yesterday but has now started to fall, it's on 1023mb. The forecast is for a dry day, bright overcast and some sunny spells. The constant WSW wind is moderate and gives a high of 6C and a low of 3C with a -3C wind chill most of the day. The outlook is for the warmer trend to continue, mostly dry with some sun but still the chance of rain on Friday but not as much as previously forecast.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Mags

Post by Mags »

Today’s weather in Perth is about 41 degrees, in other words “bloody hot”. The girls have gone Christmas shopping to a nice cool shopping centre, I’m at home in the aircon with a very warm dog.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Morning Margaret! Nothing like that here I'm afraid. Just back from our walk. Milder than lately, no frost but still a chilly wind to keep you moving. Things could be worse!
The lights are off on the Commercial block again this morning. The town is quiet otherwise.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Hi Mags, I was a little alarmed this morning when I saw that Perth had 41C as we (Adelaide) often get your weather two days later, but I have checked our long range forecast and we are slowly building up to a possible 37C on Sunday and then down to 27C for a few days.
7pm here now, hope you managed to keep cool.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I'm not too hot on Australian geography, but I saw snow in New South Wales on TV last night.

Ah now I see. (thank you google map) - NSW is the bottom right hand corner. Not that far from Adelaide relatively speaking. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Mags

Post by Mags »

We got to 41.6 officially, Katie’s car read 43 degrees this afternoon. Cooling down a bit now at 6.50 pm. Hope tonight cools down a lot.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'd rather have freezing that 43C! Hope it cools down Margaret. (M tells me it was 35C at 9AM this morning and now is about 38C but she's at work in the air con.)
Yesterday was warmer according to the thermometer and not freezing but that wind was still cold! 20:00, dry lighyt wind and cold but not freezing, same first thing this morning and no change as yet. The class fell then recovered yesterday but during the night has fallen to a shade over 1014mb and still falling. The forecast is for a similar day to yesterday, sunny spells and dry but chance of a light shower in the evening. The constant SW wind is moderate and gusty at times giving a high of 6C and a low of 4C. In the stronger gusts of wind the chill will be -4C making it feel cold all day so wrap up warm. The outlook is warmer but more rain, next Tuesday they are forecasting a chance of snow!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Have you wiped out Victoria Tripps ?
:smile:
Mags

Post by Mags »

Sat at school waiting to pick Alex up, am parked in the shade under trees and my car is reading 40 degrees 😢😢😢😢😢
7E5BF9CC-F330-4577-ACA6-1C9085E61C26.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Go for him Cathy! You've found a weak point.
We have had a nice walk. Dry, broken cloud, some stars visible, not freezing but that wind has a bite to it. Cold, but things could be worse!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Just seen your post Margaret. Too warm for me!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The rain came in as forecast in the evening. At 20:00, calm with light cold rain falling. This morning first thing it had dried up but the flags were damp, still dry but we have had a light shower. The glass has fallen to a shade under 1011mb. The forecast is for a cloudy damp morning and heavy rain coming in at noon. The strong SW wind gusts to 40mph at times and gives us a high of 7C and a low of 7C. Big wind chill all day reaching as much as -5C in the strongest winds. Rain all night and into the afternoon of Friday. Then drying up a bit and warmer for the rest of the week.
The shipping forecast tells the story of the day's weather. A strong low (985mb) is progressing north eastwards across the northern parts of the Isles and there are gale warnings in place for almost all areas.
06:00. A windy but dry walk under 100% overcast. The wind chill is taking its toll already, very cold even though we have no frost. Could be worse...
I see the Xmas lights are out once more on the Commercial block on Church Street but Moonface has struck back with a large Xmas tree in the window of Stephenson House festooned with BLUE flashing lights.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The rain came in on time and it's cold and horrible! At 20:00 it was windy and wet, same first thing this morning and I have just looked outside, it hasn't changed. The glass is down on 995mb and still falling. The forecast is dire, basically rain and perhaps even hail all day, there may be some respite this evening. The constant west wind is strong and gusty giving a high of 10C and a low of 7C but with a strong wind chill of at least -4C. Deep joy, seasonable November weather! The outlook is for similar but slightly cooler weather.
06:30. Back from the butcher's. We were relatively lucky, the rain bated a bit but it was still nasty. The driving light rain is on a relatively warm wind but the wind chill and rain make it feel much colder. It's November!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The rain eased off as evening fell but basically we had frequent showers all day. At 20:00 it was overcast, breezy and dry. First thing this morning it was less windy, dry and there were breaks in the cloud. Just looked out and it's still dry. The glass has risen to 1003mb and is still rising. The forecast is for rain to come in briefly during the early morning and then revert to overcast but dry with rain coming in again later tonight and into tomorrow morning. The constant SW wind is moderate and gusty but not as strong as yesterday. High of 8C and a low of 6C with up to -4C wind chill depending on wind strength. The outlook is bright and showery tomorrow, bright and drier on Monday and then reverting to more rain after that.
06:20. A very pleasant walk. The wind is mild and even though it is supposed to be colder it doesn't feel like it because there's no rain. Still a few breaks in the cloud and a few stars showing.
Birdsong has been absent for a day or two but this morning an owl behind the Pigeon Club was calling to one somewhere in the town.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The forecast yesterday was accurate, the rain bated but was never far away and returned in the evening with rising wind. At 20:00 it was windy wet and 'orrible! Same thing first thing this morning, I've just looked out and it hasn't changed, a really nasty wind! The glass fell all day yesterday and is still falling but more slowly, it's on 985mb. The forecast is simple, heavy rain all day. The constant SW wind is strong and gusts to 40mph giving a high of 6C and a low of 4C with a wind chill of as much as -6C this afternoon. Better day tomorrow but back to wind and rain on Tuesday. Deep Joy!
At the moment the favourite is a quick trot round the Green instead of normal morning walk, I can rug up but Jack can't, I don't see any point in exposing either of us any more than is necessary Today is a day for staying indoors if you can!
05:25. The rain abated at about 4:45 so we took a chance and did our normal morning walk through Valley Gardens. The wind was boisterous but no rain! The beck in Butts is roaring, there has been a lot of rain during the night. The Shipping forecast reinforces the message about wind, severe storms forecast in most areas.
Were we lucky? I don't know, but the lords love a trier!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Sunday 7pm and it’s still 37C, sunset at 8.19pm.
It should get down to 23C by 5am, with sunrise at 5.54am.
We have 27C for Monday.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We'll be lucky if we have daylight at 15:00 today Cathy!We've just had our second short walk and got caught in hail and rain showers... I shall be out in it as little as possible! Dinner now and then bed!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Dinner and bed? It's not even 9am yet .....what a strange time zone you exist in! :laugh5:
Not so bad here, we managed a pleasant walk in between showers, even the wind dropped for a while.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yes I know but I was up and working at 02:30, Not everybody's cup of tea but good for communicating with all my kids in Oz. :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I really think this time of year is when your body needs a multi-vitamin DAILY, Stanley...reduced daylight and dealing with cold weather...
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You might be right Maz.....
Yesterday was a day when anyone could get caught in a wintry shower. At 20:00 it was windy, cold but dry. The late Shipping Forecast gave gales in all areas except Trafalgar. First thing this morning it was breezy, dry and there were large breaks in the cloud after what I suspect was a windy night. Still the same but perhaps a bit more cloud. The glass fell to 985mb last night but has started rising now and is on 990mb. The forecast is for the cloud to clear as dawn breaks and stay clear and dry all day. The Constant NW wind starts strong and gusty but moderates slowly throughout the day. The high is 5C and the low 1C with as much as a -5C wind chill during the day so wrap up warm!
06:00. An acceptable, dry but cold walk. Cold because of the strong north wind, I should have put me balaclava on! But at least it's dry and is forecast to stay the same all day. The shipping forecast is still reporting gales up severe storm 10 in all areas except Trafalgar. They also say that the jet stream is moving these systems on quickly as it is very strong and tracking right over us.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Stanley wrote: 08 Dec 2019, 09:08 Yes I know but I was up and working at 02:30, Not everybody's cup of tea but good for communicating with all my kids in Oz. :biggrin2:
Are you seeing any daylight at the moment?
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yes of course I am, I only miss two hours with my morning sleep but it's a good and pertinent question. I probably see more than many people because I am out walking for half an hour during daylight, many don't do that in a week! Add to that the fact that I always see the dawn, from what I can see a lot of people aren't out of bed then even now it is so late!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

:good:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The forecast was accurate, yesterday was dry, bright and cold. At 20:00 we had an almost clear sky, a cold wind and it was dry. This morning first thing was the same but more overcast. No stars visible now and the wind is cold. The glass rose all day yesterday and by 22:00 had reached 1016mb, it is falling now and is down on 1008mb. The forecast is for rain to come in around 07:00 and persist all day. The wind has completely changed to SW and is constant all day gusting to 50mph at times. It gives us a high of 11C and a low of 3C but a wind chill of as much as -6C at times is going to make it feel very cold. The outlook is for slightly drier but much colder weather. This is very active weather, watch out for surprises, we could see flakes of snow later in the week.
One curiosity this week is that the full moon will be at 12:12 on December 12 (12/12).
06:05. It started raining as we were getting ready for our walk so full waterproof and Mother Russia. Luckily (for Jack) it was just a spatter and we had a dry walk. Theoretically this is a mild wind but when it carries a wind chill of -6c that distinction becomes academic! Once again the shipping forecast id dire, gale warnings in all areas except Trafalgar and many of them up to Storm force ten. It could have been worse but this is a day for wrapping up well!
Later... the serious rain came in as forecast at about 7AM. It's really nasty out there now....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Seasons”