TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Post by Stanley »

Barlick summer yesterday. At 21:00 it was calm, clear and warm. As I took Jack for his evening pee I felt the heat being radiated from the stone house walls that had been in full sun all afternoon. First thing this morning it was still calm clear and warm but there is some cloud in the east which is stopping the sun coming in at the moment but when the sun gets above that we shall bake again. The glass is up a shade at just below 1023mb. The forecast is for full sun all day. The very light wind is easterly and the high will be 25C and the low 12C. Barlick summer again and no change in sight....
05:55. Perfect morning walk. First walk in waistcoat and bare arms that I can remember for a long time. Very hard to remember when it was freezing and icy on a day like today!
The louvre on the ventilator at the Pigeon Club has dropped. I hope the Jackdaw fledglings had left the nest.....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Another hot dry day. At 21:00 it was calm, clear still sunny and very warm. This morning it was fresh, less cloud than yesterday and an hour later early sun is coming in already. The glass is steady on 1023mb. The forecast is for wall to wall sun all day. The constant light to moderate wind is Easterly and the high will be 23C with a low tonight of 12C. The outlook for the next five days is for similar weather. No sign of rain.
06:00.Another perfect morning walk in waistcoat and short sleeves. No complaints!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Another good day yesterday. At 21:00 it was warm, dry and a light east wind that was just enough to keep you comfortable. Brilliant full moon low in the SW this morning first thing and the promise of another good day, the sun is coming in as I write. The Glass is rock steady on 1023mb. The forecast is for full sun all day. The wind is a constant light easterly and the high will be 15C low tonight 12C. no change in the next five days from the forecast. A Barlick summer to rival 1976!
06:00. Another perfect walk. Hardly any flow in Butts Beck which is not good news for Wendy. If you want to come down and do your washing and have a bath Wendy you and Col will be welcome!
I look at the fires on Saddleworth Moor and reflect that our moors are just as flammable and at risk.... I also remember how long dry spells like this can sometimes end in extreme weather events. It was just such a combination that gave us the floods in July 1932.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Thanks for the offer Stanley, our spring is still producing water but we are being very careful with it. I'm trying to enjoy the sunshine but there is so much to worry about!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Glad to hear it, bear the offer in mind...... You are on my mind.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

A young lady who at one time lived in an outlying farm up Cowling way was explaining how occasionally a dead frog would block the pipe from the spring. To which my friend replied "leave my countrymen out of this". She didn't know that he was french.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You all know what yesterday was like! At 21:00 it was clear, late low sun and warm. This morning first thing we had clear skies, a very light breeze and nothing to obstruct the sun. When we went out for our walk at 05:45 we had full sun and it was almost calm, a perfect summer morning. The glass has fallen a touch to 1021mb. The forecast is a rerun of yesterday. Full sun all day. The wind is a constant easterly and the high will be 24C and the low 12C. The outlook is for this weather to continue, the first sign of any change is next Thursday......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

At 21:00 it was warm, a light breeze and still full sun. First thing this morning it was fresh, a light wind and perfectly clear apart from a couple of clouds on the far east horizon. Full sun from dawn onwards. We've had our walk and once more it is perfect, cool but full sun. The glass is down on 1016mb. The forecast is for early cloud but there is no sign of it. Otherwise full sun all day. The wind is a constant moderate cooling easterly giving a high of 23C and a low of 11C. Another glorious day and no sign of a change apart from the fact that the forecast of cloud has been brought forward to Wednesday. The worry now generally is water, hosepipe bans are coming in all over the country and the growers are getting worried about the possibility of irreparable damage if there is no rain soon. Every sunny day has a cloudy lining! Last day of June, full moon and the best summer for years. I think June will certainly be the driest for many years.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

The cloud is coming in from the east at the moment, but moving quite fast!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You're right Wendy, it's arrived here but as yet is not blocking the sun.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

At 21:00 last night it was the same as usual and this morning we have another perfectly clear sky, fresh and almost calm. The glass is down again at 1013mb. The forecast is another re-run, full sun all day. Constant moderate east wind and a high of 24C with a low of 12C. No change in prospect. Reports of another big fire on Winter Hill and Scout Moor near Bolton.....
06:00. Another perfect shirt sleeve and waistcoat walk on a perfect summer morning. Cool, calm clear and full sun. Everything is very quiet but I did note one thing.... Jack Savage's old greengrocer's shop on Church Street facing the top of Butts is being refurbished. What interests me is that they have renewed all the shop front exactly as it was before including the sun blind. This suggests it is going to revert to retail use after being residential for many years..... They have made a good job and whoever it is I wish them well.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Later, we've just had our late morning walk and it's beautiful, brilliant sun, hot and enough east wind to cool you down. More beautiful of course if you have a tap in the house that runs cold water on demand. I shan't be comfortable until I hear that Wendy and Col have a productive bore!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

:good: Nor me.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

They look promising Wendy, we shall need pics.....
Thin high cloud came in at about 17:00 yesterday but not enough to block the sun. At 21:00 it was warm, pleasant and just a few wisps of cloud. First thing this morning it was the same and as I write we still have a bit but early sun is coming in unimpeded. The glass is rock steady on 1014mb. The forecast is unchanged from yesterday, full sun all day. The easterly wind is moderate and constant and the high will be 23C and the low 11C. No significant change in sight......
05:55. Another perfect shirtsleeve and waistcoat walk. Some thin high cloud but not enough to block the sun.
The walnut trees in Valley Gardens are laden with nuts, the one outside Barlic Bites has a good crop but not as good.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It';s getting almost boring! This morning is exactly the same as yesterday and we have just had a lovely walk in full sun at the best time of the day while it is still cool. The glass is up a touch at 1017mb. The forecast is for full sun all day. The moderate east wind will be constant and the high and low are a touch lower at 21C and 11C. This is the picture for the foreseeable future. The high will be a bit more comfortable but the main feature is no rain in the forecast. June was a very dry month, July is going to beat it on present showing.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Clear sky and warm at 21:00. This morning we have more cloud about. The glass is down a touch at 1014mb. The forecast is for the scattered cloud to persist until about 09:00 and full sun thereafter. The east wind is constant but lighter and the high will be 22C and the low 13C. Basically no change and the outlook gives no change. This in itself is an exceptional weather event......
06:00. The earlier heavy cloud had dissipated by the time we went out for our walk. We are in full sun already, a few scattered clouds in the east but not enough to block the sun. A touch cooler but another dry sunny day in prospect.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

At 21:00 it was clear, mild and almost calm. Same this morning first thing and as I write, full sun coming in and the moon clearly visible high in the sky to the south. The glass is down to 1010mb. The forecast is or full sun all day. The wind has shifted during the night and is a very light westerly giving 23C high and 12C low. The only change in the outlook is that it could be slightly cooler but no rain in sight.
05:50. A tee shirt and waistcoat walk on a calm, cool, clear morning with full sun. Not a lot more to say really! I think yesterday was the Bloom inspection, I saw Davis Whipp shepherding three well dressed people round the town yesterday morning. In consequence the town is at peak tidiness and despite the dry weather we look good. I wish the volunteers who have worked so hard the best of luck.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Sally was weeding the Suffragist display yesterday morning when one of the judges tipped up, he was from Cheshire and was a bit lost. Sally directed him up Skipton Road past the Holy Trinity displays and he could not miss the bus shelter hanging baskets when he parked up for the Civic Hall. :smile:
Ian
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Well done, Sally!
When do you hear results of competition?
( I can tell you that if I lived locally, this is something I would happily put my energy into. Wherever we have travelled in UK, we always appreciate the effort put into hanging baskets and displays in local areas. They are quite remarkable.)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

October I believe Maz, apparently were were the first to be judged this year.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That could be an advantage if the drought continues!
Clear calm and warm at 21:00 last night after another cloudless day. A bit of cloud in the East first thing this morning, still there as I write and some high thin cloud overhead but nothing to hold back the sun as yet, it's cool with a light wind. The glass is up on 1015mb. The forecast is for a bit of cloud at times today but otherwise full sun and no rain. The wind is variable at the moment but settles down to a light WNW giving a high of 21C and a low of 14C. The outlook is warmer tomorrow and over the weekend. No rain in sight!
06:45. Back from the butcher's on a slightly different morning. The early cloud had thickened to about 80% cover and was blocking the sun. It hasn't broken through yet as I write. However, all the signs are that it will burn off in the next couple of hours. I'm ready for another warm day..... The shed has benefited from the open door and is down to an acceptable 22C.
07:55. the sun is just starting to break through.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

For Maz, this is the Suffragist display mentioned above. Took it on my mobile so not the best picture. Bed is planted up in the colours of the movement.

Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Considering the dry weather the town looks well but the green is going brown now!
Another good day but quite cloudy all day. At 21:00 it was nice but cloudy and this morning there is a lot of cloud about again. The glass is however up at 1019mb and the forecast is for another dry day, the cloud clears to give full sun all day except for a bit of cloud in the afternoon. The WNW breeze will be light but constant giving us a warmer day, high of 23C and a low of 14C. Barlick summer continues!
05:35. Out early this morning under a clouded sky, no wind and no sun..... However... the cloud is thinning and breaking and I don't think it will be long before the sun wins! Even more Barlick summer. I'd love some gentle rain during the night.....
06:00. The sun has broken through.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sunray10
Regular User

Post by Sunray10 »

Another very warm and sunny day here in Nelson, just a few fair weather clouds floating around by lunchtime, but less of these by mid-afternoon. Gentle breezes, but very refreshing none the less. Very warm by late afternoon with temp of around 25 C 77 F. Clear evening and night, but feeling warm and muggy with hardly any breeze. Looking like a bit warmer still tomorrow. Cooling down a few degrees Monday onwards, but no sign of any rain so the grass will get more browner where its been mowed.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Thanks for the pic, Panbiker.

Return to “Seasons”