TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

plaques
Donor

Re: TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Post by plaques »

Wind chill is now a feature of almost every weather for cast so what exactly is it? First to clarify that if the general ambient temperature is -1C a wind chill of -9C doesn't take the ambient down to -10C . The ambient temperature remains the same -1C but the rate of heat removal acts as though its -10C. Taking the condensation pipe as an example a small hot water drip into the pipe with an outside temperature of -1C may have retained enough heat not to freeze before it reached the main foul pipe. But with the extra cooling effect of the wind it will probably freeze within minutes. Damp conditions also had to the removal rate. We all know that a damp day at 4C feels a lot colder than a dry one at -1C. Here endeth the lesson.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Amen......
Funny old morning, whatever the wind chill it's cold enough to freeze the proverbials! Paradoxically the sun has genuine heat in it and that and the wind are drying everything out including any light snow that falls. For instance, my back gate faces direct into the sun and the wood on that side is hot! What I am sure of is that it is a bloody sight warmer in here!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

It's been a bitterly cold day despite the bright and sunny interludes between the snowstorms! Its -3.8c at the moment with a 30mph wind giving a "feels like" temperature of -12.5c.
The water supply to the automatic drinkers and tap in the barn has frozen up again and Colin is annoyed with himself for not insulating the pipes after spending hours repairing burst pipes a couple of weeks ago.
Nice and warm inside though!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Hard luck both of you. Mind you it was savage and still is, I don't think the fault lies with Col. My condensate pipe is OK but I am sure it has been tested. Last night at 21:00 we had 50% cloud cover with stars in the gaps but no snow. This morning we have blowing snow, bitter cold and about an inch lying on the ground so up at Wendy's it will be worse. The glass is up slightly at 1008mb and the forecast is for a re-run of yesterday complete with the same yellow warning. Broken cloud and snow flurries at any time. The constant gusty east wind is brisk and cold. High of -1C and a low of -3C with 8C wind chill at least all day, that's about -11C at the moment. Deep joy!

This was how it looked yesterday afternoon and is the same at the moment but dark of course and with about an inch of lying snow.
05:45. We went out early and had what I call my 'defensive walk', a complete circuit of the Green with Jack running free all the time. It has snowed steadily since early morning and in terms of a straight fall it's getting on for 3" but this doesn't mean a lot as the strong wind is blowing the snow into drifts and some of them are a foot deep already. Even the main road is packed snow, any salt that went down has probably been blown off as it is so dry. Neither Jack or I were wet when we came in, the dry snow isn't sticking to clothes or fur. The main element is the cold, that's a bitter wind and it is moving the snow in great clouds, at times, on the Green, I lost sight of Jack in the cloud of blowing snow. Nice to be back inside! A couple of pics for you....

The snow doesn't show up well because these are available light with no flash. You can take it as read it was serious if you were facing into the wind!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We've had our late morning walk and I got a bit of a surprise, we have quite a significant thaw going on. Not sure what is causing it, probably the sun, but it's very welcome!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Here in sunny Somerset we've got a snowstorm in progress since last night. The roofs and gardens are covered in several inches of snow but there's none on the roads and paths. They are still too warm after the recent daytime temperatures of between 11 and 14 degrees C. As I write some snow is just beginning to lie on the tarmac. At least it's not like the terrible crunchy snow we had after the supercooled rain!
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

I have found the front paving thawing, but not the grass. Dry snow still falling/blowing about. Rear paving thawing possibly from drains. Still windy and a definite chill up the trouser legs.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I saw the amber warning for the SW yesterday Tiz and thought about you. We had constant very light snow but no weight.
Despite the cold persisting the snow gradually vanished. At 21:00 last night we had the cold east wind and overcast but no snow and where the flags had cleared they were dry. This morning it is still freezing but there is less wind and the snow has diminished even more. The glass is up slightly at 1013mb. The forecast is for a dry day with a clearing sky giving us good sun. The wind is still a steady brisk ENE but the high is 4C and the low tonight -1C, the wind chill is 7C at the moment but diminishes as the day proceeds, much warmer than the last couple of days. The outlook is for the improvement to continue, winter is retreating for a while at least!
05:40. We were out early, I have things to do! Even at just after 05:00 the sky was brightening in the east. The wind hadn't got up then, the sky was overcast and the ground underfoot was good, only occasional patches of frozen snow, easily avoided, and the Green is free of snow and frozen hard. (I can imagine Dennis and Sparky having a good play out this morning!). By the time we got round to Butts the sky was breaking in the east and the wind was gathering strength. It's still cold but nowhere near as bad as yesterday!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We've just had an extended walk round Barlick because I needed a pic of the old police station and it's a lovely sunny morning, just right! It's still cold though and you have to watch your step where the snow has persisted.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Far better day yesterday and at 21:00 the sky was clearing with a light breeze, dry. This morning it was the same and very little frost, if any. The glass is up on 1023mb. The forecast is for an overcast but bright and dry day. The wind is backing towards the west and is NW at the moment and light. The high is 7C and the low -1C tonight with only 2C wind chill. Much better and the outlook is for more of the same.
06:15. Back home after a pleasant walk in daylight under a lightly overcast sky. The wind is NW and still cold but nothing like recent days. The green is reasonably dry underfoot and of course no rain in sight. Things could be a lot worse in late March!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Yes a much milder day than what we had over the weekend although one report has us down for potential snow at Easter. Not all that uncommon but of course if we do get another fall it will no doubt bring the country to a halt!

Regardless of all this, today is the equinox and the proper start of Spring, not long till the clocks alter. :smile:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I think the crocuses on the Green have got the message Ian, a welcome splash of colour.....
We've just had our late morning walk, a chilly wind but far better than of late! As for snow at Easter.... quite possible, I have seen heavy snow in June but it doesn't hang about long!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Can't remember the exact year well, over 30 years ago, we were camping at Stainforth with our two eldest kids in July and decided to climb Penyghent. It was glorious summers day but we took all our gear as was the norm when we were out on the fells. Approaching the summit, the clouds came down and we had to shelter in a small dip on the fellside to get out of the wind, horizontal rain followed by hail and eventually 6 inches of snow dumped in as many minutes. Never seen as many people coming off the top, some in shorts, flip flops and T shirts. We just togged up, hugged down in our temporary hole and waited for it to stop. The bottom of the hill was in full sunshine and we ended up alone on the hill when we trigged out. :smile:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The June fall I referred to was in the 1960s......
Yesterday was dry and bright and at 21:00 it was almost calm, dry, cold and a clear sky. This morning it's frosty under a clear sky with a ground mist and a very light breeze. The glass is up slightly on 1027mb. The jet stream has re-established itself to the North of Scotland and that's bring us the usual westerly movement of Atlantic systems. During the cold weather it has been disrupted with the main flow well south of us in Europe. The forecast is for a dry day with breaks in the cloud this morning letting some sun in but gradually clouding over for the rest of the day with a chance of fog later tonight. The wind is WSW, light at first then moderate. The high is 5C and the low tonight 4C with no more than a 2C wind chill. Outlook is for it to get warmer.
06:10. It is no longer misty, it's a full blown freezing fog! I have little doubt that the view from Wendy's this morning will be of a sea of white in the valleys. Noticeable that wherever the surface is damp, even on the main road, ice is forming so be careful if you are out there early, it could be treacherous.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Freezing fog up here as well Stanley, can't see a thing!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

And there was me expecting one of your misty bottom pics!
It was a good day but always a cold wind. At 21:00 last night it was overcast, a light breeze and there had been a shower. First thing this morning it was overcast but dry with a good breeze, much milder and it's the same as I write. The glass is down on 1015mb. The forecast is for a dry bright day with plenty of sun. The constant moderate SW wind brings milder weather, 8C for a high and 5C as the low tonight. Still a wind chill of about 4C all day but even so a far more acceptable day.
06:10. It was light enough when we went out at just after 05:30 under clearing skies for the streetlamps to be switching off. The west wind is moderate and cool enough to make your nose run but no real complaints, it was a pleasant walk. I have had much worse in late March.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

No surprises yesterday and at 21:00 we had a light west wind, a very this cloud cover, the crescent moon was visible with a halo and it was dry. First thing this morning we had more wind and heavy rain but by just before 06:00 when we set off to the butcher's it was daylight and dry with a moderate west wind. The glass is down at just above 982mb, the Atlantic low is with us.... The forecast is for a chance of rain this morning and then dry and overcast until late tonight when there is rain forecast again. The constant moderate south west wind will slack off a bit this evening. The High is 7C and the low 4C with a wind chill of up to 5C depending on wind strength. An acceptable day for late March!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Very similar day yesterday to the day before but more overcast. At 21:00 it was calm and dry and once again the crescent moon was visible through the thin overcast. First thing this morning we had a light wind and steady rain, I've just looked outside and the wind has dropped, the rain is lighter. The glass is up a touch at 994mb. The forecast is for the rain to cease shortly and for the rest of the day to be dry but heavily overcast. The very light wind will come from all points of the compass but mainly westerly later in the day. The high will be 8C and the low tonight 0C with a negligible wind chill. The outlook is for similar weather. The Daily Express is forecasting a 'vigorous storm' for Easter Monday followed by snow and the coldest April on record......
06:10. The forecast was spot on, by the time we went out at 05:30 it was coming light despite the overcast which was breaking and the rain stopped. So we have had a pleasant walk on a mild morning with growing daylight and a positive cacophony of bird song in Valley Gardens, the light and the warmth have got them going! This and better will do, bugger the Daily Express!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday turned out brighter than the forecast and at 21:00 the cloud was breaking, stars and moon visible, and it was calm and dry but cool. This morning it was clear and calm and by the time we went for our walk we had a white frost. Despite the clocks changing it was coming light at 6AM when we set off. The glass is up at 1005mb. The forecast is for a dry bright day with plenty of sun. The wind is light to moderate mainly WNW and we shall enjoy a high of 8C with a low of 0C tonight with a wind chill of up to 3C when the wind is at its strongest in the middle of the day. Not a bad day and as good as we can expect for late March. The outlook is for this quiet spell of weather to continue for a few days.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was a good day with lots of heat in that sun, any south-facing slopes must be experiencing soil temperature rise. At 21:00 we had a broken sky with moon and stars visible, cool, calm and dry. This morning first thing it was calm with a thick freezing fog and it was like that when we went out for our walk at 05:30. Calm and cold. Good job the drivers on the road have X Ray vision....... The glass is up on 1012mb. The Shipping forecast is for a generally quiet picture over the Isles but with a warning of another low moving in slowly from the West. The forecast is for a quiet dry day with plenty of sun when the fog clears. The wind is light and variable all day starting in the WNW and ending up tonight as ESE. The high will be 8C and the low 5C tonight. There will be a 2 or 3C wind chill all day. The outlook for the rest of March is for similar weather with perhaps a touch of rain Tuesday and Wednesday.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good bright day yesterday. At 21:00 we had broken cloud, it was calm, mild and dry. First thing this morning and the same now, we have steady moderate rain. The glass is down on 1000mb, the Atlantic low they noted has arrived. The forecast is for rain until late morning and a gloomy overcast day for the rest. The moderate wind starts in the SE but swings slowly all day ending up in the west. The high will be 7C and the low 2C tonight with a 3 0r 4C wind chill all day. Not exciting weather......
06:30. Back in the hutch. I admit I wasn't enthusiastic about going out this morning but we were lucky. The rain had moderated to a fine mizzle blowing on the wind and at times, fair. Jack got wet but not soaked, he's had a rub down and is feeling no pain. Total overcast of course and a cold wind but it could have been a lot worse! My rain gauge in Butts tells me that there has been no great weight of rain during the night.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was not as rainy as predicted and while the sun didn't exactly break out it was a better day than forecast. At 21:00 it was overcast with a light cold wind but dry. First thing this morning it's dry with a moderate west wind and broken cloud. The glass is down slightly at 998mb. The forecast is for a mainly dry overcast day with a chance of a shower round midday and some sunny intervals afterwards. The wind will be a light to moderate westerly all day giving a high of 6C and a low of 0C tonight. The wind chill will be about 4C all day. The outlook for the next few days over weekend is for similar weather. Perhaps the Express was wrong with its forecast of snow and Arctic cold.....
05:55. A pleasant walk on a dry morning with a light west wind. Over cast and damp but very acceptable. The shipping forecast tells me that a succession of lows is heading in from the Atlantic so we can discount snow and cold I think.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Apart from the rain arriving on schedule at 11:00 yesterday was a bright dry day. At 21:00 it was dry, light west wind and a clear sky with an almost full moon. This morning first thing it was the same but with broken cloud and a light frost, it's the same now but possibly less cloud. The glass is down slightly at 996mb. The forecast is for a bright day with some sun and perhaps rain later tonight. The wind is light and variable at first starting in the west but later settling as a moderate easterly. The high is 6C and the low 1C with a wind chill starting at 2C but rising later with the east wind to 4C. Another quiet weather day and the outlook is slightly colder for a couple of days but nothing severe.
05:50. A pleasant walk, almost calm, a light frost, dry with a big almost full moon low in the sky to the NW.
A notable event was seeing a police car in the town, not moving fast, seemed to be patrolling. A rare sight these days!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was another good day, at 21:00 the rain came in as forecast and first thing this morning everything was damp but not actually raining and no frost. I've just popped me head out and it hasn't changed apart from the light wind dropping, it's almost calm. The glass is down slightly again at 991mb. The forecast is for a dry overcast day after possible slight drizzle now. The wind is easterly, starting very light and becoming moderate later. The high is 8C and the low tonight 3C. The wind chill starts at 2C and increases with wind strength to 4C later. The outlook mentions possible snow on Easter Monday! (The curse of the Express?) The forecast for the wedding day on Thursday is for 7C and bright overcast but no rain.
06:45. Back after a quiet walk down the the butcher's, calm, dry and no frost. Nothing to complain about!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Another quiet day yesterday, the odd spatter of rain and little sun but nothing serious. At 21:00 it was calm, overcast and dry. Same this morning first thing and now. The glass is unchanged, steady on 991mb. The forecast is for another overcast day but with no significant rain. The wind is constant ENE brisk all day and slacking off a bit later tonight. This will give us 4C for a high and 2C for a low tonight. It will also give a serious wind chill of 5C until it starts slacking off this evening. So a dry day overall but cold if you are out in the wind. Wrap up warm.....
06:10. A pleasant walk marred only by the fact my back is nagging, nothing serious, it will pass but annoying! Almost calm, overcast dry and very close to freezing conditions, you can feel it on surfaces exposed to what wind there is. But acceptable for the time of year!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Seasons”