TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Post by Stanley »

It's calm and clear again this morning. The glass is up a bit at 1021mb. The forecast is for full sun but with a bit of scattered cloud at times. The westerly wind is very light rising a bit in the afternoon. The high is 24C and the low 15C. The outlook is slightly cooler but still dry, no rain in sight. Getting a bit boring, we need rain!
06:00. Full sun, cool and pleasant out there but it is shaping up to be a hot one. I shan't be working at full throttle today......
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

First thing this morning it was clear and cool, almost calm. It's the same now and despite thin cloud in the East the sun is coming though. The glass is up slightly at 1023mb. The forecast is for early sun but a more cloudy day. The light wind starts in the west but gradually moves round through the north ending up as an east wind later tonight. This will give a cooler day, high of 21C and a low of 12C, a bit of a respite from the heat but still dry. The outlook for the next few days is similar to today but warming up again later in the week. No rain anywhere in the forecast.
06:10. A perfect summer morning's walk.... 16C, calm and despite light cloud coming in, full sun. Best part of the day....
I noticed particularly this morning the difference between the conditions on the Town Green and those in Valley Gardens. In the Gardens the trees are doing fine thank you, they are on bottom land with deep root systems and the benefit of the beck and its associated water table. The Green is a different case, it was reclaimed from the old railway sidings and there will be a lot of hard core under it and not a lot of depth of soil. You can see this from the number of surface roots on the trees, they are going out sideways more than down. The consequence is that the trees are parched and showing stress.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was more cloudy and bit cooler but still dry. Bit cooler at 21:00 taking Jack out and on top of the duvet last night...... First thing this morning it was overcast again I think, no stars visible. The glass is back slightly on 1022mb. The forecast is for a dry partially overcast day similar to yesterday. The east wind is constant, starts light but gets up to moderate a bit later on giving a high of 19C and a low of 12C. Warms up a bit tomorrow..... Still no rain in the forecast.
06:25. No sun, overcast and cool but nevertheless still tee shirt and waistcoat territory. A pleasant walk and very quiet.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

The harbingers of doom, the Daily Express, are predicting a hurricane for the end of the week :laugh5: :laugh5: :laugh5:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Currently 8C here, with an overnight low predicted at 7C.
So no need for the heater. Not cold enough for us to bother with the heater. ( but I would be interested to know if our UK friends would disagree...please let us know...we just don't feel it is particularly cool)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

My heating is set to kick in when house temperature is less than 18C Maz. It has to be cold outside for that to kick in but on the whole I think that I would have a crack of heat.....
Cloudy day yesterday and cooler, very pleasant change! At 21:00 it was calm, cloudy and cool. This morning it's calm, a bit of high thin cloud and cool, we shall have early sun. The glass is down slightly at 1019mb. The forecast is for a sunnier day but still a bit of cloud. The constant very light east wind will give us a high of 21C and a low of 13C a touch warmer. The outlook is for virtually the same weather for the next week at least.
06:05. A calm, cool pleasant morning with the sun moderated by light cloud in the East. Still tee shirt and waistcoat weather. The Shipping forecast gives a uniformly quiet picture over the whole of the Isles....
Still no rain in sight, we can expect some action on water use very soon.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was on the whole scattered cloud and good sunny spells but at 21:00 it was 100% overcast and by very thick black cloud that looked as though it had rain in them. No rain though. This morning it is the same, 100% overcast and very little wind. The glass is down a touch at 1018mb. The forecast is for an overcast day with less sun and the chance of a light shower in the early evening. The easterly wind is variable in direction but constant and very light, it will give us 21C high and 14 low tonight. Hints of a change but still no significant rain in the forecast.
05:50. Back from a very pleasant walk on a cool morning, a very red sun in the east when we set off getting in under the cloud but as it rose it lost the battle. A light wind and cool, just right!
I noted two things, the computer shop has moved in next door to the shop vacated by the Linens, a big move and I wish him well.
Stephenson House in Church Street sprouted St George flags yesterday. Mr Stephenson was doing his usual thing, jumping on a band wagon but the wheels came off it immediately. Expect a quick 'U' turn.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

We had a shower of rain last night about 1.30am. The strange noise woke me up!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nothing here but it's very dull again......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Light rain falling on the M65 between Nelson and Blackburn this morning.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

There is rain about and it feels close to me..... the sooner the better.
Cloud yesterday and at 21:00. Overcast again this morning. The glass is rock steady on 1018mb. The forecast is for an overcast day with some sunny spells and a chance of a light shower any time particularly this afternoon. The wind is a very light variable southerly giving us 20C and 14C tonight. Feels close to me...... Outlook is for more like this.
06:00. A very dull start to the day with heavy overcast. A red sun was peeping through a break in the cloud in the east but soon vanished. I wore a light coat for the first time for weeks. It's calm and dry but it feels as though rain is in the offing.
Two things caught my attention. I have spent most of my life noting the readings on various dials and instruments and the digital readout on the boiler in my bathroom always gets attention. It's very accurate and reached a peak of 29C in the hot weather, it is slowly dropping back and this morning is on 26C. A reliable sign of what's happening to the weather.
The old reception classroom that was in earlier years the school canteen opposite the entrance to Valley Gardens is looking increasingly neglected. It looks to me like a potential development site especially taking account of the garage site behind on the site of the old Corn Mill Dam.
I'm going into the day hoping for significant rain this afternoon!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We had a nice shower between 08:00 and 09:00. Quite heavy. Not enough but a good start and I am sure the plants have appreciated it!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

No further rain yesterday. Overcast and dry at 21:00 and the same this morning. The glass is just under 1017mb. The forecast is for a dry sunny day. The wind is light and variable mostly west giving a high of 22C and a low of 13C. The outlook is still settled but perhaps rain on Monday?
05:55. I was wrong about the overcast when it was dark first thing, the sky was almost clear and we have early sun. There has evidently been a shower during the night, there's damp ground about. A pleasant walk!
I took my camera with me this morning, there are one or two pics I have been promising myself.

This was the first.... I'm always banging on about old stones talking to us. This stonework at Dam Side is giving a lot of information. All right it's just a crumbling mess now but try to imagine what it was like when it was new.

Very few people notice this part of Valley Gardens if they come downhill and use the entrance. An asset to the town I think and a credit to the volunteers who look after the gardens.

You may remember me reporting a few weeks ago that a wagon had hit the gatepost on the mortuary yard and cracked it off. All credit to the Council, they have put a new gatepost in and re-hung the gate. This must have been yesterday. Just like new.

Savage's old greengrocary shop has had its shop front refurbished. Can't see any progress at the moment but it looks hopeful.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It was a nice day yesterday, less cloud but no rain. At 21:00 the sky was almost clear, it was calm and warm. This morning first thing it was the same but a perfectly clear sky, I've just had a look outside and it's light earlier but no sign of the sun yet as there is some cloud away to the east. The glass is down a bit at 1012mb. The forecast is for a bright day, no rain, lots of sun and scattered cloud. The wind is a constant light WSW and gives a slightly higher high of 22C and a low of 15C. At the moment they are forecasting a cooler day tomorrow with a chance of thunder showers.
05:45. The sun came out while we were on our way round. Very quiet morning in the town, one pedestrian and one car after we met my mate Brian and his greyhound bitch, always a good meeting! At the moment no sign of the clouds.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Warmer than forecast I think yesterday. At 21:00 it was calm and warm but starting to cloud up. This morning it's the same but a lot more cloud. The glass is down again on 1009mb. The forecast is for rain later in the morning lasting all day, no mention of thunder this morning. The wind will be a constant SW starting light but increasing a bit as the rain comes in. High of 18C and a low of 11C. I hope it does rain, we need it!
06:20. A very quiet walk on a warm, dry, calm and totally overcast this morning. There was almost a hint of moisture in the air at one point. As we went out there was a bit of sun as it got in under the low cloud in the east but as it rose it vanished and it's quite dull at the moment. Butts Beck is as low as I have ever seen it, it will be nice to see water coming over the cill!

This time last year........
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We have very light mizzle.......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

No great weight of rain during the day but in early evening we got heavy rain and at times thunder and lightning. At 21:00 we had steady heavy rain. This morning it's calm, the flags are dry and clean and we have heavy broken cloud. The glass is steady on a shade over 1008mb, very little change. The forecast is for a bright cloudy day with sunny intervals and perhaps some showers around midday. The wind is a constant light westerly and it will be cooler with 17C as a high and 10C as a low. A warmer day tomorrow and very little rain in the outlook.
06:00. We've had a pleasant walk. It's calm, cool but still tee shirt and waistcoat. There is enough cloud to block all but the occasional shaft of sunlight coming in. Everything is looking clean and a touch greener!

There must have been quite a weight of rain, Butts Beck is running over the cill for the first time for over a week.
The other thing I noticed is that Savage's shop is showing signs of activity again. If I was guessing I'd say it looks like a potential tool hire shop.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A very dull day yesterday, felt to be on the verge of rain most of the time. At 21:00 it was clear, a moderate west wind and cooler. (I slept under the bedclothes for the first time for weeks!) This morning it's clear and cool. The glass is up at just below 1013mb. The forecast is for a bright overcast day with no rain. The variable wind starts very light in the east and ends even lighter in the west giving a high of 20C and a low of 12C. The outlook for the next few days is very similar.
06:05. A cool walk but nice. I wore my Hogg coat, a bit too chilly for bare arms! Early morning sun is coming in and for the present the sky is clear.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

In Barlick terms it was a nice day yesterday and pleasantly warm. At 21:00 we had a very light east wind, partial overcast and mild. This morning first thing it was almost clear but we have a bit of high cloud now I think. I've just looked outside and the high cloud has retreated to the east and we have a clear sky. The glass is up a bit at 1015mb. The forecast is for a bright day with plenty of sun. The very light west wind is constant and we shall have a high of 20C and a low of 12C. Outlook for the next few days is cooler tomorrow and rain then drying up again.
06:00. A tee shirt and waistcoat walk on a pleasant morning. No sun as yet, a few scattered clouds have come over but it's followed by clear sky. This could be the picture all day. Butts Beck gradually slows down again but might be rescued by rain tomorrow. Savage's shop has had a coat of undercoat. As I sit here a bit of watery sun is coming in.......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

At 21:00 last night the sky was clear and it was a pleasant evening. First thing this morning and now it is still calm and clear. The glass is down to just over 1011mb. The forecast is for it to be clear, dry and sunny until early afternoon and then rain for the rest of the day. The light but variable wind is westerly and the high will be 18C and the low tonight 14C. The outlook is for similar weather but a bit warmer.
06:40. A pleasant walk to the butcher's, there's some high cloud coming in but not enough to blot out the sun. Not a lot to report, a pleasant walk and we are very lucky, nobody can complain about the Barlick summer this year! The Met Office are forecasting 2018 as the driest year in recorded history. We shall see.......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday the rain came in on time at 13:00 but was never anything more than light. At 21:00 the sky was mainly clear and it was calm. This morning we don't actually have cloud but a sort of milky overcast and it is very misty out to the east. No sign of the sun. The glass is down at just above 1009mb. The forecast is for a dull day, mainly dry and perhaps brightening up a bit later. The wind is a light westerly, almost calm at the moment but increasing almost to moderate later. The High will be 19C and the low 14C. Not exciting weather!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I don't know about anybody else but I am getting fed up with this dry weather! Last night at 21:00 it was overcast, dull and dry. This morning it is the same and we have just got back from the morning walk, no wind, no sun and no rain! The only distraction was a lady in a pink dressing gown popping out to attend to her dog poo at the top end of Letcliffe. I gave her a wave and she waved back......
The glass is rock steady on 1010mb. The forecast is for a bright overcast day with sunny spells and no rain. The light to moderate west wind is constant and the high will be 20C and the low 16C, a bit warmer than yesterday. The outlook is for even warmer weather but not sunny and no rain.
I forgot to mention yesterday morning that once more some moron has ripped up the litter bin near the dam at Butts and thrown it down into the beck. God alone knows what is going on in their heads, it's worrying.
The Met office is beginning to make comparisons with 1976 and has repeated that the rainfall since the beginning of June is the least on record. As if to reinforce the point, the Rivers and Canals Trust announced the closure of 55 miles of the L&L Canal. This includes our summit level of course. See THIS BBC report on the closure. Bad news for the canal side businesses, pubs and restaurants that depend on boat tourism.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

At 21:00 last night it was a continuation of the day, calm overcast and mild. This morning it's the same, 80% overcast, calm, no sun and warm and close. We have had our walk and it is pleasant but boring! The glass is up one point at 1011mb. The forecast is strange, for the first few hours this morning it forecasts sunny spells with rain. No rain in the forecast for the rest of the day but everything from fog and cloud to sunny spells. I think it's mixed weather. The SW/W wind is light all day and the high is 20C with a low of 16C tonight. Warm, dull and muggy covers it I think! We need an old fashioned Atlantic low with some wind and rain. We seem to locked into this blocking high over Scandinavia.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Cool but not Cold here ( no heating needed) but extreme winds and heavy rains. Another collection of other people's tree leaves at our door today. I get weary of sweeping up leaves at my front door! Mucky things they are, and so much harder to sweep up when they are wet. The collection is back within the hour...
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

At 6.00 pm tonight, on my way home, my car thermometer showed an outside temperature of 33 degrees. Never felt a thing - due to my wonder car's air conditioning. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday

Return to “Seasons”