TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Marilyn
VIP Member

Re: TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Post by Marilyn »

Another Arctic blast for us, raining cats and dogs and a grey, dull day.
Not looking good for our night in the van on Saturday unless the weather gods think happier thoughts.
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

I wouldn't hold out much hope, we have rain forecast for the next 5 days and nights.
Th 100%, Fri 90%, Sat 100%, Sun 100% and Mon 90%. Sorry :smile:
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I know Cazza...and no one North of us has sent VESTS!
Wet grass makes it easier to roll down the hill, but our umbrellas will be ruined!
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

You surely can't roll down a hill holding an umbrella??? Or can you ...... off to try it out. :smile:
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

How did you go, Wendy? (please provide video!) :laugh5:
Weather getting much worse this afternoon. Wind is picking up and icy rain expected. Visitors due to arrive today...we have not heard yet if they are cancelling out. One is coming on the bus, the other driving. I think I would rather chance the bus! They will both be drowned rats by the time they get to the front door...
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Less rain than forecast yesterday but that wind was a lot cooler. It was dry and breezy at 20:30. This morning it is the same and we have a clear sky. The glass is up on 1000mb. The forecast is for a dry bright day with cloud and sunny spells. The constant SW/W wind will be fresh and the high 20C and the low 14C with only a slight wind chill. The outlook is for unseasonably high winds as a deep low comes in off the Atlantic. A festival in Cornwall has had to be cancelled and we are expecting strong winds and rain.
06:15. We had heavy overcast when I went out and there was a suspicion of rain in the air. This soon receded as the sky cleared. Very light wind and fresher feel to the day. Only thing of note was that I saw the man who puts bird food out on a stump in Valley Gardens. Well done that man!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday developed into a lovely afternoon and it was a pleasure to be outside sat watching the world go by. At 20:30 it was calm, overcast and mild, no sign of rain. First thing this morning it had just started raining heavily with a significant easterly breeze, at the moment it has bated to light rain but the wind has risen. The glass is down on 995mb and falling rapidly. The forecast is dead simple, Wind and heavy rain all day worsening as the day goes on, we can expect thunder later. The wind starts as an easterly but during the day swings into the south giving us a high of 21C and a low of 15C. The outlook is the same for the next two days as an unseasonal vigorous Atlantic low moves through on its way east. Tiz down in the West Country could be having it worse than us.
The Shipping forecast tells the story... Severe gale warnings for all sea areas to the South and West. The low hasn't reached Northern waters yet.
06:30. We were lucky in that our walk down to the butcher's was almost dry, 100% overcast and only a light wind. This all changed as we came out of the shop, thunder, lightning and very heavy rain all the way home. The rain wasn't the worst bit, it was water thrown up onto the pavement by inconsiderate drivers. By the time I got home I needed dry trousers and underpants. My feet are dry, my 40 year old Lobb Shoes are completely waterproof apart from wicking water down as the tops of my socks got wet. I am reasonably well off now after changing. Jack had an early bath of course but is rubbed down, sausaged and relaxing in his chair. An interesting walk and I fear a foretaste of what is to come....
09:00. Just taken advantage of a lull in the rain to take Jack for his second walk without getting wet!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday turned out much better than the forecast, we had occasional thunder showers but a lot of sun. We had two dry walks after our soaking in the morning. At 20:30 we had a ragged overcast and a light breeze but dry. First thing this morning there was more wind and steady rain. I've just looked outside and the wind has dropped and the rain almost ceased but we have full ragged overcast and I don't doubt this is only a lull. The glass has fallen like a stone overnight, it's on 983mb and still falling. The forecast is for rain all day with occasional breaks in the cloud. The constant SW wind is brisk and will gust to 40mph at times giving a high of 17C and a low of 14C, cooler than of late. This is unusual weather for August and is a result of the Jet Stream coming in to the south instead of the more usual northerly course. The outlook is for even cooler conditions, definitely not high summer!
05:40. We went out early to take advantage of the lull in the wind and rain and it was a good call, it started to rain again as I was unlocking the back door on or return. So, a pleasant walk under ragged overcast. The Corn Mill Dam in Butts betrays the fact that there has been a lot of rain, a very strong flow over it. Not a bad start to the day.
By the way, I tapped the barometer when I came in and it stirred upwards slightly. We are under the centre of the low and it is moving on.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We never saw the excessive winds yesterday but on the whole it rained all day. At 20:30 it was still raining. First thing this morning it was raining. I've just looked outside and guess what? That's right, it's raining and we have a moderate breeze. The glass started to rise yesterday, is up on 996Mb and still rising. The forecast is for a high probability of rain, at times heavy, all day until early evening when it might stop raining. The SW wind is moderate and constant backing to W this evening and giving us a high of 15C and a low of 11C, a bit cooler. Wind chill of -2 to -3C all day. This is October weather and the outlook is for similar temperatures all week. Definitely not high summer!
06:25. As you can see I waited this morning until it was daylight and the rain had slackened a bit. It was a good call. Actually it was never worse than a very light mizzle, good for both of us.

The Corn Mill Dam tells the story and from other evidence I saw it has been higher during the night. We will not be in danger of water shortages for a while!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Just had our second walk. Guess what, light wetting rain...... Deep Joy!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

We're off to Whitby for a few days, it looks to be a bit drier on the east coast :good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I think that's what has been saving us from the worst weather Kev, we are getting East Coast weather rather than the Western variety!
Lots of persistent drizzle yesterday but I didn't see any heavy rain. At 20:30 the sky was mainly clear, we had a cool breeze and it was dry. This morning first thing it was cool and dry with a light breeze and a clear sky. Good moon visible around midnight, it's full on the 15th. I've just looked outside and it's still dry and clear with some scattered high cloud. The glass was rising all day yesterday and is on just over 1005mb and still rising. The forecast is for a dry but cooler day with occasional sun. The wind is a light to moderate WNW and gives a high of 15C and a low of 10C with a -2C wind chill. Below the seasonal average and almost at the stage where my CH will be triggered briefly, the core temperature of the house has been dropping steadily for a week now. Not high summer and the outlook isn't promising.
06:05. A cool dry walk under an almost clear sky, I say almost clear because the clear patches are milky. I think the forecast was optimistic, it feels like single figures and just as we went out I noted that my suspicion about the CH was correct. It cracked on and aired the radiators. The heating season is starting a bit too early!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

20190811_200314.jpg
It stayed dry in Whitby last night even though the sky looked threatening.

There's light rain at the moment but it does look to be brightening up a bit. I've just looked at my CCTV at home and the sun is shining in Barlick.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It was correct Kev. We had a sunny afternoon but the milky sky soaked the power out of it and it was cool but dry. At 20:30 the sky was mostly clear, light breeze, dry and cool. First thing this morning it was, cool, overcast and we had light steady rain. Just looked outside and it's not changed. The glass is up again on 1009mb but is falling slowly. The forecast is for a rainy start to the day but brightening up from 07:00 onwards with good sunny intervals. The wind is constant and westerly giving a high of 15C and a low of 8C with a -2C wind chill so it looks like another cool day. No change in sight, this weather is set to last for a while yet.
06:10. Light wind and rain, cool but a clearing sky. That's the story this morning. I gave my Barbour an airing after watching a programme about their manufacture the other night on TV. I have just looked and this coat is now £250, I am a wealthy man!
09:30. We've had our later walk, good sunshine but still not warm! (The glass is rising again.)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Barbour, I used to have the full set of jacket and overtrousers when I was first motorbiking. £50 apiece when I bought them in the 70's. Modern waterproof textiles with built in armour is more the norm nowadays for the bikers and is what we invested in second time round. Good programme though on the making.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Decent afternoon and at 20:30 it was clear, cool and dry, looking good for the Persiads. First thing this morning hopes dashed, cloudy and light rain with a light easterly wind. Still the same. The glass rose slightly yesterday but is falling again and is on a shade above 1008mb. The forecast is simple, cloudy and wet all day. The light SE wind gives us a high of 15C and a low of 14C tonight with a slight wind chill. The outlook is for the same for at least a week. No hot weather in sight.
06:05. Noticeable that when we went out at 05:20 all the street lights were on. We are back after an acceptable walk, light wind, overcast and light steady rain. All right as long as you are dressed for it but not summer.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A lull in the steady light rain for about an hour in the afternoon but otherwise constant all day with brief dry spells. At 20:30 it was overcast and very light rain. First thing this morning it was milder than yesterday, almost calm, overcast and guess what, light rain. It's still the same. The glass is down on 998mb and still falling. The forecast is for the rain to persist for the next three hours and then gradually clear to give some sunny spells later on. The wind is in the west and will be constant and moderate with quite strong gusts once the dawn calm finishes. The high will be 16C and the low 13C with as much as -4C wind chill all day. Tomorrow is forecast to be even wetter and the outlook hasn't changed, no summer in sight. Full moon tonight.
06:00. Street light still on when we went out. The wind has started to rise and so we walked under 100% overcast and in light rain. Not very cheerful but that's what we have at the moment.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

As seems to be the pattern at the moment it was a nice afternoon but that wind was NW mainly and chilly. At 20:30 it was clear, a light NW wind and it was dry. First thing this morning it was dry with a light wind and scattered cloud. I've just looked outside and we have more overcast, slightly more wind and it's cool. The glass had risen to about 1010mb but is falling now and back on 1006mb. The forecast is for it to be cloudy but dry until about 07:00 and after that rain for the rest of the day. The constant brisk S or SW wind gives us a high of 16C and a low of 13C with a -3C wind chill. The outlook is a bit dryer but no warmer, this weather pattern looks to be with us for a while yet.
06:30. The forecast is accurate so far, the overcast is thickening and the wind increasing but it hasn't started raining yet.
Two things grabbed my attention. First that there has been some change in newspaper distribution, I heard Menzies mentioned. Whatever, the BET was not available and normally that's delivered on Thursday to the shops. The second thing is that the old nursery school on Gisburn Road has been sold for £80,000. See this LINK. There has been some work on the site.
08:00. No rain as yet but the glass is falling rapidly.(It started raining five minutes later!)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Basically it rained all day apart from a few very brief lulls. At 20:30 the sky was clearer and it was dry, very mild wind. First thing this morning the flags were wet but no rain and fast moving ragged cloud with glimpses of a full moon. Just had a look outside and we have heavy overcast and it's raining steadily. The CH has kicked in as well, deep joy! The glass has fallen like a stone to 992mb and I think is still falling slowly. The forecast is for rain until about 07:00 then bright overcast and sunny spells for the rest of the day. The constant brisk SW wind will give a high of 17C and a low of 11C with up to -4C wind chill. The outlook was for drier weather but has now been revised and is for very similar weather for at least 5 days. Not high summer!
06:30. Not the nicest of walks but it could have been worse... A very ragged sky with fast moving cloud and most of the time, steady light rain but I think it may be bating now. Butts Beck has a strong flow of clear brown water. I mention that colour because it is not the muddy flow of top run off but peaty water which signals to me that the moor took the rain in and this is deep drainage. Not much chance of moor fires with weather like this, always look on the bright side! Just had a look and I think the rain may have stopped so the forecast could be accurate.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Once the rain stopped it was a dry blustery day with patches of sun but that wind was always chilly. At 20:30 we had 50% cloud, cool dry and breezy. The same first thing this morning, I've just had a look outside and it hasn't changed. The scattered cloud is thin and the full moon is clear even behind a cloud.The glass rose yesterday but has fallen back during the night to a shade under 994mb. The forecast is for a day of scattered cloud, sunny spells and a chance of a light shower at any time. The constant SW wind is brisk again and gives a high of 16C and a low of 12C with a -3wC wind chill. The outlook for the next week is for very similar weather, no hot weather in sight!
06:15. A cool walk under ragged cloud with some breaks coming in. Nothing to complain about and there was some light in the east. Not really a summer walk.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Something I meant to mention but forgot. On Friday when I went into the Co-op I was asked if I had ever seen rain as heavy as the shower that had just occurred. I had noticed water running freely into the grids as I walked across there. They told me that there had just been a very violent shower but it must have been localised because 100 yards away as the crow flies we had nothing in East Hill Street.,
Yesterday was dry until late in the afternoon when we had a bit of light rain. At 20:30 we had broken cloud and a recent light shower with quite a strong breeze. First thing this morning we had damp flags, a stiff breeze and scattered cloud. Just looked out and it is almost clear, some fast moving cloud and a good moon but dry. The glass rose slowly all day and is on 999mb now and still rising. The forecast is a re-run of yesterday, sunny intervals, bright scattered overcast and the chance of a shower almost any time. The wind is a stiff gusty breeze from the SW and gives a high of 16C and a low of 11C with at least a -2C wind chill all day.
The outlook is still for similar weather for at least a week.
06:10. When we went out we had light rain from much thicker cloud cover than an hour before. However, by the time we were heading home some big clear spells were coming in from the west but having said that, as I write it's clouding over again. This could be the story of the day.....
Later,it did rain again. We have just been out for our short walk, it's sunny but that wind is bloody cold.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I thought it was cold yesterday. We apparently had SNOW just 20 mins up the road. Cold again here by 4pm. Heater on, and teeth have now stopped chattering.
( it has been a chilly Winter!)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

And we are having a chilly summer Maz!
One thing I have noted over the last few days is that what is forecast as a SW or W wind has been more like WNW in Barlick, this was particularly true at 20:30 last night when we had fast moving broken cloud and it was dry and cold. We had damp flags this morning but a clear sky with a good moon, dry and breezy. Same now but we have thin scattered cloud, moon still visible though the clouds. The glass is up again at almost 1011mb and still rising. The forecast is for this cloud to persist into the morning then clear a bit and give us sunny spells but still the chance of an occasional light shower. The constant moderate WSW(?) wind gives us a slightly cooler day with a high of 15C and a low of 11C and a wind chill of as much as -3C at times. Thick shirt weather!
06:01. A cool walk, light breeze and when we went out a clear sky but clouding over than clearing again as we walked round the town. Once more this could be the pattern of the day. The forecast tells us that it is 10C but I reckon it's colder than that and the CH boiler agrees with me, it has fired up and warmed the radiators. Could be a lot worse but not summer!
The outlook is looking a bit drier and warmer after Friday, good news for Ian and his camping.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Cool yesterday but reasonably sunny and dry after dinner, always a cool wind though! At 20:30 we had a light mild breeze, mostly clear sky and it was surprisingly mild. First thing this morning, we had a recent shower but it was dry, breezy and scattered fast moving cloud letting the moon peep through. Just popped out, usual pre-dawn calm, 100% overcast now and again we have just had a recent light shower. The glass has risen slowly since yesterday and is now on a shade over 1018mb and still rising very slowly. The forecast is dry until mid morning, then a good chance of rain until early evening with some brief sunny spells, later as it gets dark, more light showers. The constant moderate SW wind gives us a high of 17C and a low of 13C with a -2C wind chill most of the day. The outlook is the same tomorrow but then a gradual improvement, warmer, more sun and no rain. The cause of the change for the better is the jet stream reverting to its normal northerly course from today onwards.
06:10. We went out in light rain under 100% ragged overcast but still calm and relatively mild. Half way round the rain had ceased and the overcast was breaking slightly but no sun yet! very similar to yesterday except for the fairly firm forecast of rain later in the morning.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Occasional showers yesterday after dinner but we managed a dry walk at 15:00. Light rain at 20:30 and steady rain this morning first thing and still raining now. The glass is down a touch at 1014mb. The forecast is easy, rain all day! The constant moderate SW wind gives a high of 17C and a low of 15C with a -3C wind chill for most of the day. The outlook is for it to improve starting tomorrow, dry, sunny and rising temperatures.
05:55. Back from our walk. Dead simple report, it has rained all the time we were out, varying from light to heavy! It's still dark after 6AM. Not a lot more to say...... Except that I look forward to some dry sunny weather! Please God!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Seasons”