TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Marilyn
VIP Member

Re: TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Post by Marilyn »

Lovely to hear things are not quite so MISERABLE!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Maz. I have never been 'miserable'!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Me neither Stanley!
( though some days do challenge me 🙄)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was a bit more dull but a quiet day. At 21:00 it was calm, dry, overcast, a very light east wind and perhaps a shade colder. This morning it is the same but with what looks like a clearing sky. The glass is rising, almost up at 983mb. The forecast is is for a dry and brighter day. The light southerly wind will give us a high of 6C and a low tonight of 0C. The wind chill will be as much as 3C but the sun will make it feel more spring-like.
06:10. When we set off on our walk round Valley Gardens there was a light sprinkling of rain in the calm air but it soon stopped. It is chilly but not cold and no frost. Jack had a good run with his whippet mate in the Gardens and best of the lot, it was getting light before 06:00. This is more important to me than anything else, we need light! It won't be long until we have full daylight for our walks..... Roll on!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The forecast was accurate, yesterday turned out bright but cool and at 21:00 it was calm, cold and the sky was clear as a bell. This morning first thing it was the same but with a light overcast and no frost. I've just looked outside and we have just started getting light rain. The glass is down slightly at just under 982mb. The forecast is for a cooler day and snow/sleet is forecast until 11:00. The light wind will back into the NW mid morning and stay westerly for the rest of the day, moderate at times. The high will be 5C and the low tonight 1C. We have about 2C wind chill at the moment but as the wind backs and strengthens this will rise to 4C making it feel like below freezing all day. Nothing serious but wrapping up warm is indicated.
06:10. Back from an acceptable walk. It's cool and calm but we have light snowfall and the untreated surfaces are accepting the snow and turning white. The pavements are getting a bit slippy but not too bad as yet. Still snowing and if the forecast is right it will get heavier in the next few hours. Winter is giving us a little nudge but looking towards weekend it could warm up again a bit.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We're having significant snow but it's not going to hold anyone up.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

A bit different up here!
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

It has been snowing steadily since early this morning and no sign yet of it stopping! The red car has been cleared of snow once and had a trip out.

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 08 Mar 2018, 08:51 We're having significant snow but it's not going to hold anyone up.....
Unless you're heading west on the M65 :-)

I turned around at jct7 (Oswaldtistle) and came back home this morning.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sorry to here that! Just goes to show how well insulated I am in my little world....
Yesterday the snow stopped in Barlick before dinner and the afternoon was bright and dry. Last night at 21:00 it was calm, cool, dry and broken cloud. This morning first thing there was evidence of a light shower in the night but it was calm and dry, same now, I have just looked outside and by the way the sky in the east is brightening already. The glass has risen to 995mb. The forecast is encouraging, a bright overcast day with some sun and no rain until late tonight. The wind will be light all day mainly from the SW but strengthening slightly late tonight and swinging into the SE which is when rain might come in. The high is 8C and the low tonight 4C. As always at this time of year the wind will give a chill but nothing like as severe as we have seen recently. The outlook for the next few days is warmer and wetter, expect double figure highs!
07:15. we were out at 06:00 to go down to the butcher's and it was already coming daylight! Such a treat to walk in the morning and not be in the dark. It was a pleasant walk in other ways.... it was calm, cool enough to put your hands in your pockets but by no stretch of the imagination bitter. The sky was largely clear and I saw a good half moon and stars despite the dawn. So a good morning and as I write this the sky is clear and it won't be long before we see the sun. This and better will do nicely....
I should mention that I am perhaps going to do the equivalent of a rain dance this morning. The big wedding is in a day under 4 weeks from today. At the moment I have quite a lot of hair on and I have decided to have my usual head shave today so that in four weeks it will be a presentable close crop. This might trigger winter again! If so I apologise but I have to make sure I am presentable!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

God, I'm an ugly old bugger.... But the deed is done, it has a day under 4 weeks to grow into an acceptable short crop. I hope it doesn't trigger blizzards.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Well, the rain dance has worked..... It was starting to rain at 21:00 last night and is continuing this morning but mild with it. The glass has fallen to 984mb. The forecast is for a mild wet day with rain at any time. The wind starts as a constant light easterly until nightfall when it will swing into the SW. High of 10C and a low tonight of 3C, there will be a 2 or 3C wind chill depending on the wind. The outlook is for the mild cloudy weather to continue all week.

06:20. Quite a pleasant walk, calm, mild, light continuous rain and despite the overcast it was coming light at 05:50. The state of the standing water on the Green and the heavy flow over my rain gauge in Butts tell me that quite a weight of rain has fallen in the night with more to come if the forecast is accurate. I have had much worse walks than this in mid February!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

You might need to wear a knitted hat to keep warm in the meantime, Mr Potato-head!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Your response beat my update Maz. No problems with my head, it's a very mild morning and anyway I have my Kromer 'Blizzard' cap on and that's proof against -20C! A pleasant morning despite the rain.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I think we can all agree that yesterday was a wet day! At 21:00 it was calm, cool, overcast and not raining. First thing this morning it was calm, overcast and the flags are drying out. I've just popped outside and it is unchanged. The glass has risen a shade to 987mb. The forecast is for a mild dry overcast and quiet day with no rain. The east wind is light and constant, the high 9C and the low tonight 5C with only minimal wind chill. Not a lot happening which is good, it will give the water time to drain out of the land which is waterlogged at the moment.....
06:05. That was a pleasant walk.... Slightly misty as we set out, heavy dew, light wind, dry and thin but but clearing cloud. The moon and some stars are visible. The birds are enjoying the milder weather, singing their hearts out. Daylight was breaking at 05:45 and by the time we got back it was light enough to read a newspaper in the street. Lovely!
The mysteries of life.... why a discarded ankle sock in a shop doorway near Barclay's Bank and a trail of blood spots going towards Newtown.... The imagination runs riot!
Later.... I don't think it's premature.... I have ditched the Damart for this year and gone into cotton teeshirts instead for a vest, so not quite casting a clout!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A good day yesterday and at 21:00 it was calm, overcast and dry but a hint of rain in the air. This morning it was mild, calm and gentle rain, I've just looked out and the only change is that the rain is heavier. The glass is down slightly on 982mb. The forecast is for a wet day, rain at almost any time. The wind is moderate to light and out of the NW for most of the day making it cooler. High of 6C and a low of 3C tonight with a noticeable wind chill. Not the most cheerful day but at least the frost has receded. The outlook is for slightly warmer but changeable weather for the foreseeable future.
06:15. No getting round it, a wet walk! Looking on the bright side the wind hasn't got up yet and despite the 100% overcast it was plenty light enough to take the unlit path through Valley Gardens. Having said that, Jack had an early bath and for once was not happy, he was very unhappy with me as I rubbed him down and I had to put him in the shed for five minutes to cool off. It will pass......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Once again I think we can agree that yesterday was a wet day! At 21:00 it was still raining. First thing this morning it was calm, cool and dry but overcast, I've just looked outside and it is still the same. The glass is up nicely on 997mb. The forecast is for a dry and brighter day with some sun later. The wind is mainly westerly and very light. The high is 8C and the low tonight 3C with perhaps a 2 or 3C wind chill. Definitely an improvement on yesterday and tomorrow could be warmer, into double figures!
05:50. We were out ten minutes early but despite that and the 100% overcast it was still light enough to walk the unlit inside path in Valley Gardens. That's the best thing about this time of year for me! A pleasant walk, calm, cool but dry. All the roads washed clean by the recent rain. There's a trace of mist about but nothing serious and the prospect of a bright dry day and better tomorrow. You can't expect much more at this time of year.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Last night at 21:00 it was clear, almost calm and cool. This morning first thing it was the same and we had a slight frost but we've just had our walk and as the sky collects some broken cloud the frost is going. A pleasant walk and good light...... The glass has fallen during the night and is back on 998mb, almost the same as yesterday. There is a big low moving across us and this accounts for the fall. As the low moves over to the East we will get air from the Arctic dragged down the back side so expect the weather to get cooler in a couple of days. The forecast is for a dry bright day with quite a lot of cloud. The wind will be a constant SE and will rise from a light breeze this morning to a moderate wind later in the day. This will give a high of 10C and a low of 4C with a wind chill that will worsen as the wind rises to about 4C. So, enjoy the day but be prepared for the temperature to start dropping.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It stayed dry yesterday and was still dry at 21:00 last night but with an overcast sky and a cool breeze. This morning it's noticeably colder, it's overcast and was dry first thing but I've just been out and we have spots of rain. The glass started to fall yesterday and is well down this morning at a shade over 981mb. The forecast is for a murky, misty and overcast day with a spell of rain early morning but then dry. The wind is a fresh easterly and is cold. The high is 6C and the low tonight 4C with a wind chill of up to 5C so it will feel colder. This trend to colder weather is the overall outlook for the next few days....
06:10. We are back in the warm! That wind is bitter and I believe the 5C chill in the forecast! It was dry when we went out but as we got to the last part of the walk it started to spot and we now have light rain, enough to wet the flags. However it wasn't a bad walk and the most encouraging thing is the way dawn advances by a minute or two each day, it is making a real difference now and it's very welcome. We will of course lose out slightly on March 25th when the clocks go forward an hour but by then it will be coming light an hour earlier anyway so it won't be a big shock.
10:00. We've had our late morning walk and the forecast is right up to now. Still light rain and murky weather.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nothing cheerful about yesterday's weather and last night at 21:00 it was misty a cold light breeze and damp after a recent shower. First thing this morning it was the same and I've just looked outside and it is the same but now we have more cold wind and light rain. The glass is rising, it's on 989mb. This means that the low is passing over and we can expect the winds on the back side of it to start dragging cold air down from the Arctic ready for the weekend. The forecast is not cheerful. A good chance of rain and fog all day with heavy overcast. The wind will be a constant moderate easterly giving a high of 6C but cooling all day to -3C tonight. There will be a constant 5C wind chill so wrap up warm! The outlook for the next two days is nasty, much colder and a chance of snow. Deep Joy!
We were back home at 06:45 after a better walk than I expected. The rain was limited to a fine drizzle and the wind, while significant was not too cold. Even so it is a cold wet morning alleviated by the fact that despite the overcast it was light enough to see a black dog that early! The shipping forecast reinforced the warnings about cold weather, It's snowing in the NE already. I shall get all my shopping done today and apart from dog walks, shut the door on it! One of the advantages of being old and retired.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Miserable!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You crossed me as I updated. No, there are reasons to be cheerful, it's getting light at 05:30 in the morning even though we are overcast......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Marilyn wrote: 16 Mar 2018, 05:28Miserable!
I'm going for miserable. :yourright:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I am astonished...... I shall continue to look on the bright side! I am doing all the shopping this morning and then if it does deteriorate, apart from walking Jack and getting my essential exercise I shall shut the door and wait for it to blow over!
[Mind you, I will admit that the reality is that it's a bit damp and murky out there.......] :confused: :extrawink:

A bit later. Don't worry about me Maz, I have done all the shopping and won't need to go out for anything apart from exercise for the next few days. One of the great advantages of being retired!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

yesterday was damp and murky as promised, at 21:00 last night there was a cold light east wind, an overcast sky and it was dry. This morning it is damp underfoot, a much stronger east wind and fine snow is falling, or rather blowing in the air. The glass is up again at 1006mb. The forecast is covered with yellow warnings all day for snow, ice and high winds. The overcast will be fast moving with some breaks allowing sun but snow is forecast for virtually any time during the day. The wind is a constant strong ENE gusting to 45mph giving us a high of -1C and a low of -4C and a constant wind chill of about 9C so the perceived temperature at the moment is -6C and will fall to -13C at times. The message is obvious, wrap up and don't go out unless you have to. What a good move doing all the shopping yesterday!

Ian insulated my condensate pipe at just the right time!

05:40 and we are back in the warm. Yes, you're right we went out early because a clear patch of sky had come over and the fine snow earlier, which has settled and frozen on dry surfaces, had ceased but I suspect not for very long. I looked a right object, more skins than an onion and my Damart balaclava under my Kromer Blizzard hat but who cares! For a kick off, there was no one about to see me and the gusty NE wind is bitter and strong enough to move wheelie bins about, I have arrived back with warm ears.... According to the forecast the temperature with wind chill is -9C and I believe it. I'm glad we are indoors and Jack has a dry back, he can stand any amount of cold if he's dry. By the way, I noticed in the town centre that the wind is drying the flags and if we get more snow I have no doubt it will settle. It's a winter day......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Seasons”