TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Post by Stanley »

You know how cold it was yesterday! At 19:00 it was clear and cold. This morning first thing it was overcast but still very cold, I've just had a look and it's still the same with a very light wind. The glass gives us a clue, it's fallen to a shade over 1011mb. The forecast is for a bright overcast day until noon but then snow turning to rain later. The wind is a gusty moderate SE until late tonight when it starts to move to SW and become warmer.The high is 0C and the low -1C but there is a big wind chill all day, as much as 8C at midday and never less than 5C even when the wind changes later. There is an amber warning of snow and ice until tomorrow morning when the more westerly wind starts to warm us a bit. On the whole, snow and ice from noon onwards looks like a good bet.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Lovely! We love snow, don't we Cazza?
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Oh yes and I can still feel the icicles and the snow crunching as I walked on it. :smile:
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I don't think you'd like this morning!
we're back from our half hour walk. It's still freezing of course, never stopped since yesterday morning and the Green is hard as iron. The wind is getting up already and it is bitter out in it.

Sexy eh? I don't care if I do look like Mother Russia, my ears were warm when we got back even though my face ached from the cold. No birds singing this morning and the wind is strong enough all ready to move the trees. How do the birds survive? I don't know what will come later but if the start of the day is anything to go by it could be a stinker.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Love the pic. Big warm hug!
Bet you wish you hadn't shaved your head!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Not at all Maz. If you wear a hat you don't need hair for insulation. I can assure you that my head stays perfectly warm under my Thinsulate beanie! And when it's reinforced by the Damart Balaclava it's even better.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

It has been an appalling afternoon! I brought the ponies in before it started raining ice, but couldn't stand up outside after about 1.30pm. When I ventured out at 3.30 to shut up the hens and ducks I had to lay rubber mats over the stones but even those slid around dangerously!
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

The snow would be fine, it's all the other conditions that come with it that I wouldn't like. 36F/2.2C Brrrr Stay warm and safe you lot. :smile:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You're right Wendy. I went out with Jack at 14:45 for his last walk on the Green and the wind on my face was actually painful. I was only out for 10 minutes but bliss to get back into the warm. Freezing rain and a gusty wind.... I crashed at about half past eight last night and went to bed, I can only think it was that bitterly cold wind!
This morning we have broken cloud, a strong wind and it's not raining but has been recently, no frost. Feels cold but nowhere near what it was yesterday. The glass fell all day yesterday and this morning it's on 992 after falling below 990mb so it's rising again. The forecast is for a better day, dry until late tonight and bright overcast with some sun mid-morning. The wind is a gusty moderate SW tending to SE and moderating to light by late this evening. The high is 5C and the low 4C with a constant 3C wind chill. A more normal day.....
06:00. As so often happens early in the morning, after a light spatter of rain the wind dropped and I'll admit that my Mother Russia outfit was a bit over the top because it is a much warmer morning. (My head was sweating when I got back Maz!) Never mind, I'd much rather be warm than cold! The cloud appears to be breaking a bit. The flow over the Corn Mill Dam in Butts shows that quite a weight of rain fell yesterday, it's a sold flow over the cill. On the whole, a good morning, nothing to complain about!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The forecast was right, rain started coming in later and at 19:00 we had cold hard rain, Jack didn't take long to have his last pee! First thing this morning it was calm, overcast and damp but not raining. Since then we have had a light shower, I've just looked outside and it's damp but not raining. The glass was rising all day yesterday and this morning is on 1005mb. The forecast is for a bright overcast day with a bit of sun and a chance of a shower just after nightfall. The constant SW or S wind starts light and strengthens to moderate later. The high is 6C and so is the low. There is a wind chill of 2C and this rises to 4C later tonight with the stronger wind.
06:00. A good walk on a calm, dry, mild morning with a rapidly clearing sky. Definitely no cause for complaint!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Once again, the rain came in at nightfall as forecast. It was still raining at 19:00. First thing this morning we had a mild breeze, broken cloud and it was dry. We've had our walk and it is still the same. The glass is falling and is on 1000mb. The forecast is for heavy rain to come in before 10AM and persist for most of the day. The constant southerly wind is moderate with strong gusts until late tonight when it abates. The High is 9C and the low 6C with a 4C wind chill for most of the day. At the moment it's a very pleasant day, only the rain will spoil that!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We got the rain and at 19:00 it was still raining. First thing this morning we had big breaks in the cloud and stars shining, it was dry. Now we have 100% overcast and rain. The glass is down on 994mb. The forecast is for the rain to cease around 07:00, then sunny spells until nightfall and the rain comes in again for the rest of the day. The wind is a constant SSW/S and gives a high of 6C and a low of 5C with a wind chill of 3 or 4C all day depending on the strength of the wind. Could be worse!
06:00. The cloud cleared earlier than forecast and so we had a dry walk, no need for waterproofs. Jack got back to his morning sausage with a dry back. The wind is chilly when you catch the full effect but on the whole it's a good morning as long as you can keep moving. Could be a good walking day.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The rain came in on cue at nightfall and at 20:00 it was wet when Jack went out. This morning first thing we had broken cloud, a few stars showing and it was not raining. I've just looked out and the overcast has increased and we have light rain. The glass has fallen slightly to 992mb. The forecast is for showers and dry intervals all day, a bit of sun perhaps midday. The constant moderate WSW wind gives us a high of 7C and a low of 5C with a 4C wind chill for most of the day so wrap up warm and take a brolly!
05:55. It was only raining very lightly when we went out so I decided on Crombie rather than waterproof. The rain got worse as we walked round Valley Gardens so I have finished up with a wet dog who needed rubbing down and a wet Crombie that needs to dry. I am dry as a bone! Not the best way to start the day but it could be much worse so we must be grateful to the weather gods!
On a more cheerful note, read THIS report on the shortest day tomorrow, we get the bonus of a full moon and a meteor shower.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Today is the shortest day, the old Pagan festival of Yule so a happy Yule Tide to all of you but remember the old saying, "As the day lengthens the cold strengthens"
Yesterday's forecast was accurate, intermittent showers all day. We found a gap in the afternoon but at 21:00 when Jack went out it was raining again. First thing this morning at 02:30 it was dry with broken cloud but just starting to rain, we have had steady light rain since then. The glass is down again at 988mb. The forecast is for heavy overcast and rain at any time all day. The variable light wind starts as SSE and swings all round the compass until it settles as a moderate SW late tonight. The wind chill varies with the wind direction between 1C and 4C. It will be dark early this afternoon, not the most cheerful day I have ever seen. Courage mon braves. The days start to move towards Summer!
06:45. No way of wrapping it up, it was a miserable wet walk to the butcher's and back. The only good thing was that the rain bated a bit and so Jack could have fared worse. If anyone is forced to be outside in this today they have my sympathy. I shall be trying to avoid it.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Aye, its Winter. Happy Solstice. :smile:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Funnily enough it was quite bright at sunset. at 21:00 we had light rain. First thing this morning we had broken could and it was dry, Still the same now. The glass is up, on 1000mb. The forecast is for a chance of a shower between now and 06:00 then dry bright overcast for the rest of the day. The constant moderate west wind will give us a high of 8C and a low of 6C with a 3C wind chill all day. An improvement on yesterday! Outlook is for rain again tomorrow then dry, colder and brighter.
06:00. We had a wet walk, calm but light rain all the way. Jack had an early bath but is feeling no pain after a good rub down and his sausage! The only life I saw was two identically dressed Xmas elves supporting each other as they walked through the rain, presumably after a party.....
The shipping forecast was particularly informative this morning with the general situation. They say that at the moment our weather is being influenced by a complex low pressure system and this will persist tomorrow, hence the wet forecast. However, during the day tomorrow a high pressure system will develop over Northern England and this is what is going to govern our weather for a few days over Xmas. The consequence is going to be a trend towards drier and more seasonal weather but you can forget a white Xmas!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

First thing this morning it was calm, overcast but dry, shortly afterwards it started raining steadily and has not ceased since. The glass has risen to 1011mb. The forecast is for the rain to be constant until 13:00 and dry overcast thereafter. The light wind is variable, It starts in the SW and swings round settling as a light northerly by 11:00. The high will be 6C and the low 0C with a wind chill of 1 or 2C all day. The colder drier weather starts tonight.
06:00. No surprises, a wet walk on, thankfully, a calm morning. Jack got wet but is rubbed down and has had his sausage. He is feeling no pain. Not a soul in sight except for the pie man in Newtown working, unusually, on Sunday. I suppose he's making sure his Xmas orders are ready. Nice to be back in the warm and dry!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The rain ceased around midday yesterday. At 20;00 it was overcast and damp but not raining. First thing this morning it was calm and dry with a clear sky and a brilliant almost full moon, it's still the same. The glass is up on 1024mb. The forecast is for a cold, clear and dry day with full sun. The cloud will start to come in this evening. The wind today is very light and variable, we are sat in the centre of a high pressure system. The high will be 4C and the low -1C with a 2C wind chill most of the day. A good Xmas Eve day for travelling and shopping (or going to hospital). Xmas day is forecast to be slightly warmer but cloudy and misty.
(Susan is travelling down to Essex with an early start so I have just rung her up to make sure they are stirring! She was ecstatic when I woke her up...... [Not] That's what Dads are for.)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

I feel sorry for anyone who is silly enough to be cooking tomorrow. We have 36C today and each day getting hotter up to 41C on Thursday.
We are sizzzling... :sad:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Margaret said the same this morning Cathy. It's 35C in Perth and she is getting the cooking done today.
We have had an early walk as I want an early second walk to settle Jack before I abandon him for the hospital at 9Am. It's a perfect morning, almost totally clear sky, recently full moon, dry and frosty. Cars are iced up already and pavements are heading the same way. Lovely day for walking today......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It was a good day yesterday in many ways, not least the weather. At 20:00 it was clear and frosty. Same this morning first thing with a visible moon but mist which is freezing on all surfaces and giving us a white frost, far better than snow! It's still the same, very still, cold and white. The glass is up on 1027mb. The forecast is for a dry bit foggy day warming as the day goes on. The very light wind is all over the compass and during the day we warm up, The high will be 6C and the low tonight 6C also.We start with frost and that persists until mid-morning. By late tonight it will be 8C and this is the sort of temperature we are looking at in the foreseeable outlook.
06:00. A very acceptable walk on a calm foggy morning. The early frost has gone and the White Christmas is rapidly disappearing. Not a leaf stirred, not a dog's turd (Well excepting for two deliveries from Jack.) The only sign of life I have seen is one car moving down Skipton Road.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We've just had our second walk, it's raw out there in the fog!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It eventually brightened up a bit after a bit of very light drizzle. At 20:00 it was calm, cold and clearer. First thing this morning it was calm and damp but no frost or fog. Just had a look, heavy overcast but still dry. The glass is down slightly at 1024mb. The forecast is for a dry overcast day. The constant WSW wind is light and gives a high of 9C and a low of 6C. Wind chill is 2C at most. The outlook is for similar weather to today.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

38C here. I have just brought in some freshly washed and dried towels off the clothesline and they are as hot as if I had just ironed them!! :surprised:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nothing like that here Cathy but it's not cold. Jack and I have just come back from our routine morning walk round Valley Gardens and it's a mild, calm quiet morning. I decided to have a change of hat, instead of my modern Thinsulate beanie I wore on that was knitted for me by an old lady on Eigg out of Jacob Wool she processed and spun herself (She knitted me a wonderful fisherman's sweater as well which is unique. Done in one piece and it has double thicknesses at the cuffs, waist and neck.). When I got back my head was sweating! Lots to be said for natural oiled wool from an old breed.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Seasons”