TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was clear and cold until mid afternoon when cloud came in and it became misty. By 20:00 we had overcast, light fog and an East wind. Cold but not freezing. First thing this morning it was still overcast, dry and no frost, a light wind blowing. It's the same now as I write. The glass is down to 1006mb. The forecast is for an overcast and at times foggy day but dry. The constant ESE wind will be light to moderate and the high 2C and the low 2C. The wind chill at the moment is 5C and will gradually lessen to 3C by the end of the day so it will always feel sub-zero in the wind. Not an exciting day. The outlook is for similar weather for the next few days.
06:15. No frost but the wind is getting up and as Wendy said, It's face aching cold! One hopeful sign is that even at 6AM in the morning it's getting lighter earlier. I think it's the high level sun bleeding down though the clouds. One thing is certain, I can walk up the unlit path though Valley Gardens and see where the edges of the path are. But, as I say every year at this time, "As the days lengthen the cold strengthens!" The shipping forecast gives us a clue to what is coming. They report that another North Atlantic low will reach N Ireland today. It's on 935mb at the moment and is tracking NE. This will start to influence our weather and the glass is falling as I write.
One thing I noted is that the large stone stoop on the right hand side of the gates into the old Mortuary Yard in Butts has given way and is leaning in supported by the gate. Some attention needed there I think!
10:00. We've just had our late morning walk and it's only just come daylight! It's dull, misty and that wind is still a face-acher.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was dry and cold but dull, dull, dull! It took a long while to get somewhere near light. At 20:00 last night it was dry, a light west wind and cold. This morning first thing it was dry, overcast, a light breeze and cold but not freezing. I've just looked out and two hours later we have a light mizzle. The glass is down on 996mb, another low coming in. The forecast is for rain until about 8AM, then misty clearing to bright overcast for the rest of the day. The wind is constant and light changing from an easterly to a west wind about 9AM. Not a lot of wind chill and the high will be 6C and the low 1C. The outlook is for it to cool down a bit.
05:45. We were out early and as it turned out it was a good call because we had nothing worse than light mizzle, nearly calm and mild. Not exciting but Jack had a good run round with a whippet mate of his and didn't get wet, that's a result.
I note that some of the people in Southern California who have been under threat from the biggest wildfire in the state's history have now been hit by flash floods. There is much to be said for Barlick's climate!
10:20. We've just had our second walk and it's daylight but only just. Dry though..... Not exciting weather.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It started to clear and become lighter in the afternoon yesterday and by 20:00 the sky was almost clear and it was dry and cold. First thing this morning we had a light breeze, well broken cloud, lots of stars and a frost. I've just had a look outside and it appears to be overcast, unless I am mistaken it's not quite as cold. The glass is up at just a shade under 1010mb. The forecast is for a dry and much brighter day. The constant light west wind gives us a high of 4C and a low of 1C with a slight wind chill. Later tonight the wind will shift into the east and we could have mist. A quiet and much more cheerful day!
05:50. I was right about the frost receding. Some pavements still slippy but the ice on cars is melting. A pleasant walk under broken cloud and in a very light wind. Things could be a lot worse, it's January after all.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was brighter in the afternoon but at 20:00 it was overcast and misty. This morning first thing it was calm dry and heavy mist, still calm and dry with an overcast and the mist has cleared, no frost. The glass is up at a shade over 1020mb. The forecast is for a dry day, overcast but some sunny intervals this morning before clouding over for the rest of the day. The wind is constant, light and SE giving a high of 5C and a low of 3C with little wind chill. The outlook is for the same for a couple of days but then we are told to expect a blast of Arctic air from the NW around Tuesday, could be more snow.
06:50. Back from the butcher's after a totally uneventful walk. This is good at this time of year, every day that is not too cold, wet or windy is one day nearer better weather!
10:00. We've had our late morning walk, broken cloud and watery sun..... At least it's light and not foggy.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was, in the end, a very acceptable January day and got brighter as it went on. At 20:00 it was calm, overcast and dry and not particularly cold. This morning first thing it was the same and I have just popped out for a shufti, slightly more breeze but overcast, no mist and no frost. The glass is down slightly at 1014mb. The forecast is for a more overcast day, no promise of sunny spells but dry and slightly warmer. The constant SE wind is moderate giving a high of 5C and a low of 2C with a wind chill of up to 4C. The Met Office are sticking to their prediction of strong NW winds with possible wintry showers on Monday.
06:15. It doesn't get much better in January than this morning. Not cold, wet or windy but a quiet walk in light wind under an overcast sky. Very acceptable......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday did exactly what it said on the tin! Overcast all day and a very thin wind if you were out in it despite the fact that theoretically it was relatively mild. At 20:00 it was overcast, dry, with a light cold SE wind. This morning first thing it was cold, dry, overcast but no mist or frost and a moderate breeze, it's the same now. The glass is unchanged on 1014mb. The forecast is for a similar day, overcast but with a sight of the sun later this morning. Dry until late tonight when we could have some rain. The constant moderate wind is southerly all day tending to SW later tonight when the rain comes in. The high is 3C and the low 2C but the wind chill will ensure it feels like below freezing all day. The story for tomorrow is starting mild but with wind and rain which could turn to snow into Tuesday as the temperature drops.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday went to plan and at 20:00 it was breezy, cold but dry under an overcast sky. This morning first thing it was windy, cold and heavy rain, I've just looked outside and apart from the rain easing a bit it is the same. The glass is down with a bang at 987mb. The forecast is for a wet day on the whole. There will be a brief spell of brighter weather in the middle of the day but then the rain will set in again and as the temperature drops it could turn to snow late tonight. The main feature is the constant strong west or SW wind, high of 7C and a low of 0C, the wind chill will be as much as 6C all day. The outlook is for it to get colder. Deep Joy!
06:00. We were lucky, there was a lull in the rain and I took a chance, no waterproof leggings! Good call, all we had was light mizzle and funnily enough it feels quite mild out of the wind. That was lucky, I wish all as good a day!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was exactly like the forecast. At 20:00 we had wind and cold rain/sleet. This morning it's wet, at the moment it's sleet/frozen rain and it is cold. The glass is down again to a shade above 980mb. The forecast is not good, by mid morning we shall be into snow and it will last all day and into tomorrow. The stiff west wind will be gusty, the high is 2C and the low -1C with a wind chill of 6 0r 7C all day, bitter! Proper winter weather if you like that sort of thing! I shall be cowering indoors.....
06:00. A patch of clear sky came over just as we set off out. Waterproofs not needed and the Crombie with multiple skins underneath was just the ticket but even so the wind is bitter and my ears are tingling as I sit here! Little drifts of snow at the bottom of West facing walls, I think they will not be alone much longer. Salt wagons active, I think we are in for a good clap......
07:30. I had some essential shopping outstanding so I've just been to the Co-op and done it. Light flurries of snow but the cloud is building from the West. It looks as though the forecast is accurate. Off into the shed now, no snow in there!
10:00. We've had our second walk at it's quite good at the moment. Clear spells and some sun with an occasional flurry of hard sleet/snow. Jack's back is still dry..... This is good.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The repeated warnings yesterday came to nothing, it snowed a bit around 15:00 but the net result was a bit of a wind and two inches of snow this morning. At 20:00 last night it was cold, wet windy and light sleet. This morning is the same. The glass is up slightly at 986mb. The forecast is a copy of yesterday, yellow warnings of wind, snow and ice, rain/snow until mid morning, then a brighter spell but rain and snow returning at nightfall. The high is 3C and the low 0C but the constant strong and gusty WNW wind until tonight when it swings into the SE will gave a wind chill of 7C all day. It's another January day..... We'll see if they are any more accurate with the snow warning today!
05:45. We went out early because there was only very light sleet and I don't expect it to improve. I chose the Crombie for warmth rather than the waterproof hoody and it was a good choice! Very slippy underfoot where there was no treatment and even on the road there is slush. I noted the gritting wagon coming out of the town centre and going down Gisburn Road. According to the forecast it's about -6C with the wind chill, I'd say it was a shade below that actually, it was face-ache weather. Taking this into account and the fact that the footing is good on the snow covered grass of the Green [and the fact I had wellies on!] we didn't do the walk through Valley Gardens but went down the Green and back. That's quite enough of this weather! We still did almost 30 minutes walking so I have no qualms about missing exercise for either of us. My face and ears are glowing now that we are back into the warm. The message is stay indoors if you can, keep warm if you have to go out and be careful on slippery surfaces....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

The road is clear up here but we will have to shift some snow if we want to get out, there are some deep drifts on our track. Last night Col took the Skoda up near the road and parked just off the track but that has created a huge drift on the track right beside it. Mmm.
Poor Bertie, who is a bit unsteady on his feet now, kept falling over in the deep snow on our morning walk around the fields...but he seemed to thoroughly enjoy it!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You must have had a lot more than we have Wendy, Just been out for Jack's later morning delivery and it's almost thawing, lots of slush and no addition to speak of so far. I shall not be going out again!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Lots of cold rain yesterday but no snow. At 20:00 we had an east wind and cold hard rain. This morning it's not freezing and not raining at the moment, cold NW wind. The glass fell during the night to 974 but is back up at 980mb now. The forecast is for a similar day to yesterday, chance of snow/sleet at any time all day and yellow warnings again. The wind starts in the NW but then backs to W and is constant and moderate all day. High of 3C and low of 0C with up to 6C wind chill. Another two days of this and then we warm up a bit but not much. It's February weather!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

We have just hit 41C, and rising.
Doing a jigsaw with glass of cold water in hand...
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Enjoy it! We've just had our morning walk and it was surprisingly good! A light wind, dry and clearing skies with some stars peeping through. Butts Beck is roaring over the cill of the Corn Mill Dam, as much water as I have seen for a long while. Not surprising, the ground is waterlogged and any rain will run straight off.
The Atlantic low that caused all this is out in the Southern North Sea galloping away towards Poland. This southerly track means that the South is getting the high winds, the further North you go the less the wind is. Some Northern areas are calm! Our outlook is for it to have warmed considerably by the end of the weekend.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Extremely challenging for the Tour Down Under riders. It must have been hell on earth to ride to our town today....and though we have been out in the crowd cheering them through the finish line in previous years....too hot for us to stand about out there today!
It was 43C when the riders started arriving. I was laying flat on the lounge carpet, watching TV, with the ceiling fan wafting cool breezes and a glass of cold water on hand. ( legs akimbo)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Oh dear Maz...... I am fighting to get that image out of my head....
You wouldn't be doing it here. We've just been for our second walk and there are clear spells, cold wind but no rain. I kept off the grass as much as possible, it's waterlogged with standing water. Cold but dry and it could be a lot worse!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I've just had a cold bath before bed and feel the better for it. You can hardly refer to it as "going to bed" because we simply lay on the bottom sheet with no covering, not even a top sheet. A light nightdress on for dignity but legs will be akimbo once again (when the bedside light is out!) to get the breeze from the ceiling fan. Big glass of water beside the bed. ( hubby refers to it as my vase of water).
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Do you put the pillow in the fridge? I seem to remember you mentioning that once..,..
Yesterday turned out to be a bright day with showers but a cold wind, none of the big winds that seemed to be affecting other parts. At 20:00 it was dry but recent rain and still a cold wind. My feet were cold in bed last night, very unusual for me and that was with my hot water bottle in with me, he came to bed at ten, again unusual, bed socks was the cure. This morning it's cold and wet with broken cloud and there has been a recent shower, a cold west wind. The glass is up at 997mb. The forecast is for snow at any time during daylight hours, there's a yellow warning. The constant westerly wind is moderate to strong all day with a high of 2C and a low of 0C, the wind chill will be 6C all day so it will always feel below freezing. It's another winter day!
We were out at 05:45 and back indoors at 06:45. It took a bit longer than usual because I got a bit of a surprise. There was no frost early this morning but by the time I went out we had a sharp frost and the light rain was freezing as it hit cars and untreated surfaces, the pavements are deadly so we walked very slowly and carefully. On the way back the light rain was falling as snow and it's cold. Nice to be back indoors!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Bed socks?!!!!
Gosh...what I would give to lay in your back yard for 15 mins and feel cold.
They were issuing alerts to overseas visitors to Adelaide Airport today ( which reached 44C) that they must keep hydrated or would succumb to heat stress. I believe over 50 persons were admitted to A&E.
Luckily, being coastal, we have dropped rapidly to below 30C this evening with cooling breezes.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I missed your post and so have added to my original Maz. We have a sharp frost, slippy conditions and light snow. I think you'd be reaching for the knee socks!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was a mix of sun and showers, cold all day. At 20:00 it was breezy, cold and light rain. First thing this morning it was cold, a west wind and broken cloud, the flags were wet but it wasn't raining. I've just looked out and it appears to have clouded over and we have a very light drizzle. The glass is down slightly at 984mb. The forecast is for an overcast day with the chance of sleet/snow until early afternoon when it will clear and brighten. The wind is a moderate SW at the moment but will moderate to a light westerly during the morning. The forecast high is 2C and the low 0C with a wind chill of 4C at the moment falling to 3C as the wind slackens. There is a yellow warning of ice until late morning. The outlook for Sunday is similar but on Monday there will be a change and it will be warmer.
06:25. Back in after a Crombie walk with a very light wind and intermittent drizzle. There isn't any frost but untreated surfaces like pavements, car parks and the Town Square are starting to ice over, some already very slippy so if you are out on foot, be careful!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

There was quite a lot of sun yesterday but it was a cold wind. At 20:00 last night we had a cold wind, dry with broken cloud. This morning we have freezing fog and everything is icing up including untreated surfaces. I've just looked out and it is the same, ice is building up nicely! I think it will be a short walk this morning on the green, no point risking icy pavements! The glass is up to 1007mb. The forecast is for it to be 'dry' until noon when the temperature starts to rise under the building SE wind. Chance of snow at first but soon becoming rain which might slack off during the evening. It's almost calm now but by noon the wind will be becoming brisk and warming things up. The high is 2C and the low the same. We have a 3C wind chill at the moment but this will lessen. What's happening is a change to warmer weather which will be making itself felt during the evening. By midnight it could be 6C.
06:30. We are safely back inside after 30 minutes walk. I minced carefully down to the Green and then did a circuit of it. Not as far as my normal morning walk but quite adequate in these conditions. Walking on the grass on the Green is perfectly safe, Jack was loose and did twice as much distance as me chasing the smells and has produced two good deliveries so he is catered for! The untreated surfaces are deadly but the fog has lifted and no more ice is being deposited. You may think I am over-cautious but so many older people end up in hospital with fractures in conditions like these. I don't want to be one of them!
08:00. We have light rain/sleet now. It will make things even more dangerous until it starts thawing the ice.
10:00. We've had our late morning walk, a bit better underfoot but now it's snowing, I suppose it will turn to rain. Glad I'm indoors.... I shall go to bed and let it go away!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We got the Full Monty yesterday from freezing fog, through light snow and ending with cold rain sometimes heavy. At 20:00 last night it was calm with cold rain. This morning we have broken cloud, it's dry and not as cold as of late. The glass is down to 999mb. The forecast is for a dry overcast day. The wind is westerly, constant and moderate. The high is 6C and the low 5C with a wind chill of 3C. Very different weather and even milder tomorrow.
05:50. We were out early and have had a pleasant walk. Light mild breeze, dry and a trace of light in the sky. What's not to like?
I see the broken gate post and gate have been made safe at the mortuary. The stone stoop had necked off at ground level. I hope they replace it with a proper stone post.
My daughter Margaret reports that the exceptionally hot weather continues in Perth......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We had occasional light rain on the wind yesterday but on the whole it was a better day. At 20:00 last night it was breezy, dry and milder. This morning we have a fresh breeze, broken cloud and it is dry. The glass rose last night to almost 1010mb but has dropped back to 1005mb. The forecast is for an overcast day with rain until mid-afternoon and the chance of another shower later. The wind is a strong southerly all day, this will give us a high of 10C and a low of 6C but with a wind chill of about 5C, still much milder than of late. The outlook is for the milder weather to continue. I've just looked outside and it's still dry so I think an early walk is indicated!
05:40. Good call! We've had a dry walk on a mild morning. The cloud is building and the wind starts to rise, I have little doubt that the forecast will be right and we shall have rain soon.
One thing attracted my attention. The standard on the opposite side of the road from Gisburn Road School which carries hanging baskets for most of the year has an addition, a piece of metal conduit bolted on the side, and a grey box chained to the bottom of the post. I couldn't see where the conduit ended but it reminds me of the traffic counting surveys that used to be common.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

There was more rain yesterday than forecast but at 20:00 we had a strong mild breeze and the moon was visible through thin high cloud. This morning first thing it was overcast, very breezy but mild and dry, it's still like that. The glass is down on 989mb. The forecast is for heavy rain until 9AM but no sign of it yet. Then we are to have a bright overcast day. The wind is SW, strong and gusty giving a high of 7C and a low of 2C, funny thing is that it is about 10C at the moment! We may be having a classic case of being on the cusp of east/west weather, the forecast seems a bit confused. I shall hedge my bets by putting my waterproof coat on!
05:50. I put my Barbour on and it did the trick! A light spatter of rain as we set off but then dry all the way round. Overcast and mild but some gusts of wind stopped me in my tracks. A very pleasant walk and Jack had a good run in Valley Gardens with his mate a whippet dog that runs like the wind! Nice.
06:30. Just looked outside and we made a good call getting out early! Very heavy rain and the wind is even stronger. I feel sorry for anyone who has to go out in it.
11:00. We've had a dry second walk and it has started to come properly light now so we might have got shut of the rain!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Seasons”