TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Post by Stanley »

A bright dry day and at 19:00 it was the same with a cool breeze. First thing this morning it was calm and dry, cool but not as cold as yesterday. It's the same now, can't tell whether we have cloud or not, too dark. The glass has fallen to 1011mb. The forecast is for an overcast day, heavy at times but dry. The constant SSW wind is moderate and give us a high of 14C and a low of 11C tonight. Slightly warmer but not exciting.
06:15. It isn't as cold as yesterday and the wind hasn't got up to speed yet so quite a pleasant walk if you discount the darkness. I've had much worse October walks!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

We switched to Daylight Savings on Sunday. Now 7.30pm and just coming dark. As our Spring changes to Summer, this nightfall will progressively lengthen to up to 9pm. We reached 26 C today ( I did see an evening news report of 29C). Whatever...it was very warm. Time for shorts and T-shirts.
I did sleep on top of the bed last night...hubby was snuggled in his quilt.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Funnily enough Maz we are promised warm weather tomorrow.
It was dry and bright yesterday and at 19:00 was breezy, cool and dry. This morning it's the same and we have cloud. The glass is down slightly on 1009mb. The forecast is for another bright , dry but cloudy day. The wind is a constant moderated SW giving us 14C for a high and 9C for a low. The outlook for the rest of the week is for warmer weather, perhaps even an Indian Summer.....
06:20. A dry walk on a pleasant morning, cool but not cold, overcast and a light breeze. That's about it actually, nice and quiet, just how we like it!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday developed into a much brighter and sunny day than the forecast suggested. At 19:00 it was clear, cool and dry with a light breeze. First thing this morning it was the same, it still looks the same, I think it's clear but I can't see any stars but knowing my eyes..... The glass is rock steady on 1010mb. The forecast is for a clear sunny day with no sign of rain. The wind is a constant light southeasterly and the high will be 18C and the low 13C. It looks like one out of the bag. The outlook is warm but tending to rain and then cooler and more wind.
06:05. A pleasant walk. Dry, calm and the sky must have cleared because the stars are bright and clear now. No visible bar to the sunny day we have been promised. Enjoy it! Looks like a good day for a long walk..... (Sorry Ian......)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Lovely day yesterday but I got a surprise when I went out with Jack at 19:00, there had been a very light shower but the sky was clear by then. First thing this morning it was calm, mild and dry with I think broken cloud, I see no stars. The glass has fallen to 997mb. The forecast is for a mixed day of sunshine and showers, a spell of rain early morning and another at teatime with cloud and sunny intervals between. The wind is mainly a moderate south-easterly giving us a high of 18C and a low of 9C. The outlook for Friday and Saturday is mild and rainy with increasing wind, then it starts to cool down.
The Shipping Forecast for Northern waters gives us a clue, winds up to violent storm (force 11) later today. The Met Office has forecast strong winds in mainland Britain tomorrow and christened it Karen.
06:10. A mild, dry walk with a light breeze under an overcast sky. A slight mist in the air but we have had no rain so far.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I don't know what Storm Karen will be like for Barlick but down here in Somerset it's heavy rain forecast from 03.00 tomorrow (Friday) right through to the same time on Sunday and wind speeds of 40 to 50 mph throughout. Eeeek!
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We did get a couple of spells of very light rain yesterday but nothing to frighten the horses. Last night at 19:00 it was mizzling and windy, dark very early under heavy overcast. This morning it's dry, breezy and overcast. The glass is down a shade more at 996mb. The forecast is for it to start raining by 05:00 and carry on all day. The wind will be strong SW with heavy gusts and the high is 17C and the low 13C. I think we can say a wet windy day!
06:40. We were lucky, it was windy and raining when we went out but the rain bated and the wind was only a blustery breeze. So, nit a bad walk considering. Since we got back, and it's now 07:00, the rain hasn't restarted but the wind has risen significantly and it's now a strong and gusty. The one good thing about it is that the wind is mild.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I look out of my window now in Taunton and see the big trees bending over in the 50mph wind and heavy rain. Then I look at the news and see the trees being snapped off in 150mph wind and rain in US east coast areas: LINK
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You're right Tiz, things could be worse!
It was windy here yesterday but not too bad or wet. At 19:00 last night it was still breezy and damp with heavy overcast. This morning it was the same out there but an hour later it is raining steadily. The glass is up slightly at 998mb. The forecast is for rain all day. The wind is a constant blustery southerly giving a high of 18C and a low of 11C.
06:00. A mild wet morning but calm when we set off. Luckily the rain ceased shortly afterwards so we didn't get soaked. Better for Jack. The cloud appears to be broken but I can't see it, it's still dark. I haven't a lot of hope for anything better. Butts Beck has a very heavy flow, despite the fact that the rain during the day was mainly light there must have been plenty at other times. It will not slack off today!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The forecast was right, a dull, mostly wet day yesterday with very little good light. At 19:00 it was breezy, cooler and just dry. First thing this morning it was cooler and raining lightly, the rain has ceased at the moment but I don't think we are far off it. The glass is up slightly on 1000mb. The forecast is for a dull overcast day with a possibility of rain from 07:00 to 14:00. The very light wind is from the northern quarter all day and it will be much cooler. High of 11C and low of 7C. The CH has kicked in this morning..... Not a lot of change in the outlook.....
06:00. A dry, cool but not cold walk under what appears to be breaking cloud. The light wind is northerly but no problem. Very quiet, I only saw two cars but surprisingly a couple walking a bull terrier bitch in Valley Gardens off the lead. It and Jack immediately started a chase round and at first the couple were alarmed, I don't think they have much control. I reassured them, they were having such a good time and there was no danger. They enjoyed watching their bitch having a whale of a time for about five minutes and then I brought Jack in and put him on the lead so they could get the bitch back on her lead. It did the two dogs the world of good and who knows might have had the same effect on the owners! One thing is certain, two happy dogs and a good start to the day.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The rain was intermittent yesterday and as promised did clear up later. At 19:00 last night it was cool, dry and breezy with 100% overcast. First thing this morning it was calm, colder and we had broken cloud, it's the same now but I can't distinguish the clouds so it may have cleared. The glass is up at 1008mb. The forecast is for a dry bright overcast day with some sunny spells. The wind is light, starts in the north and gradually tends to east during the day. High of 10C and low of 8C. It's around 4C out there at the moment so a generally cooler feel to the day. The outlook for the next five days is broadly similar.
05:55. Dead calm, dry and much cooler, probably about 3C but no frost. A pleasant walk, no complaints at all!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Not a bad day yesterday, at 19:00 it was dry, slight breeze and cool. First thing this morning it was calm and we had a very light mizzle, warmer than yesterday, it's the same now, but the flags are hardly damp. The glass is up slightly and steady on 1009mb. The forecast is for a dull, cloudy but eventually bright day with a chance of rain around 20:00 onwards. The wind is southerly, very light until late morning and then settling as a moderate SW. The high is 15C and the low 10C. The outlook is slightly cooler but dry and it looks as though Thursday when I have my Stockport trip it will be cool but sunny.
06:00. A very quiet morning. Calm, overcast and now dry, the flags are drying out. The town is very quiet.. only a couple of people and 4 cars all the way round.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Very acceptable day yesterday and at 19:00 it was overcast with ragged cloud but dry and mild. This morning the flags are damp, there has been a light shower, but dry and calm at the moment. The glass is rock steady on 1009mb, no change. The forecast is for a dry, bright day with sunny spells and no rain. The wind is a constant light SW and the high will be 13C and the low a cool 3C, chance of a frost? The outlook is for similar if cooler weather until Saturday when there may be some rain.
06:10. A pleasant walk on a dry, mild morning. Almost calm and some breaks appearing in the cloud as I can see the odd star.... More people about including one idiot in a car travelling along Skipton Road towards Kelbrook doing well over 50mph. One wonders about the size of his brain! (It was almost certainly a man of course.....)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Another decent day and at 19:00 the sky was clearing and it was dry and cool with a light breeze. First thing this morning crystal clear sky, dry and calm, still the same now. The glass has jumped to 1023mb and is still climbing I think. The forecast is for clear skies and sun all day. The very light SW wind gradually swings through north and finishes up in the SE late tonight giving a high of 11C and a low of 4C. Looks like a perfect day for the set-off to Stockport!
06:10. Calm, dry clear and cool enough to make your fingers feel cold, give you steaming breath and fog your glasses up when you come back in, so a very pleasant morning's walk for the time of the year. There may be a bit of mist in the east but it's hard to say.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've just noticed a patch of white frost on the roof of the house opposite which must have a well insulated loft. So we have a grass frost.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I can confirm that, quite a bit of grass frost here and mist down in the bottoms. Lovely morning.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It was a perfect October day yesterday, definitely one out of the bag! Cool dry and calm this morning. Broken overcast, some stars visible first thing. The glass is down slightly at 1021mb. The forecast is for a cloudier day but dry and some sunny spells. The wind starts light and variable but settles to a light WSW during the morning giving a high of 12C and a low of 10C.
07:20. No Jack so no walk as such but I have been across to the Square for the BET. We have about 50% cloud cover, a crisp morning and it's coming light in the East.... Looks promising!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We had a grass frost later yesterday morning, another good day, more cloud and two degrees cooler but a good one with long sunny spells. This morning first thing we had broken cloud, dry, calm and cool. It's the same now but perhaps a bit more cloud cover. The glass is up slightly at a shade under 1024mb. The forecast is for a bright but overcast day, no rain. The constant SW wind will vary from light to moderate and give a high of 13C and a low of 11C. The outlook is for more cloud and cooling down a bit.
06:00. Normal walk this morning with Jack who spent more time than usual on his weemail points because he has missed a day.... Calm, mild and dry and the cloud appears to be breaking again. Some mist forming in Eatwood Bottoms. A pleasant and uneventful walk, just right!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Another good day yesterday and at 19:00 it was heavily overcast but dry, calm and milder. This morning it's overcast but dry and calm. The glass is down a touch on just over 1021mb. The forecast is for a dull overcast day with a chance of rain around dinnertime. The W/SW wind is moderate all day giving a high of 13C and a low of 3C, much cooler tomorrow.
06:10. A quiet pleasant walk. Mild, calm, overcast and only a few late night revellers staggering home. What's not to like? There is a full moon on Wednesday the 24th and the clocks change next Sunday, October 28th. (64 days to Xmas!)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Another good day yesterday, if there was any rain I never saw it. At 19:00 it was dark, dry, heavily overcast and mild. First thing this morning it was the same, calm and no sign of rain during the night. It's still the same now and 45F in old money. The glass is well up on 1029mb. The forecast is for the cloud to clear before dawn and for full sun until early afternoon when it starts to cloud over, no rain forecast. The wind is in the NW at the moment but soon becomes a constant moderate westerly giving a high of 10C and a low of 8C. The outlook for the next five days is similar weather but a bit cooler overall.
06:05. Heading down Skipton Road with the NW breeze directly in my face I found that it's stronger than forecast and very cold! The sky has cleared and the stars are visible. Apart from that, not a bad walk if you are dressed for it.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yet another very acceptable day yesterday, cooler but bright and dry. At 19:00 it was clear, dry and a cool breeze. This morning first thing it was the same and I have just looked outside, cool, dry a light breeze and overcast. The glass is down slightly on 1025mb. The forecast is for a dry but overcast day. The constant moderate west wind gives us a high of 11C and a low of 10C. The outlook is for more of the same but gradually cooling down. very settled weather.
05:50. A pleasant walk. Dry, overcast and a moderate fresh breeze, not cold. I've had much worse!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Tuesday was a rerun of Monday but with more cloud, very acceptable weather! At 19:00 it was overcast, very breezy, dry and cool. First thing this morning it was the same and hasn't changed, the overcast looks thin, don't ask me how I know that.... The glass is steady on a shade over 1024mb. The forecast is again a rerun of yesterday. Cloudy but dry all day. A constant moderate west wind that gives us a high of 10C and a low of 9C tonight. Very settled if slightly boring weather. The Atlantic high pressure system which is delivering this from the must be enormous! Noticeable from the shipping forecast that Ireland and the NW of the Isles are having far different weather, very windy and wet, they are taking the pain that would be delivered to us if the jet stream moved south.
06:00. Back home after a not unpleasant walk. There is a moderate breeze, it's mild and there is some very light mizzle blowing on the wind. Nothing to write home about or require waterproof clothing.
Later.... The drizzle seems to have set in.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

There was more mizzle in the morning that the forecast suggested but the rest of the forecast was right, it was a cloudy dull day, reminiscent of November. At 19;00 it was clear and dry with a moderate breeze but not cold. First thing this morning it was the same and has not changed in the last hour. The glass is down a bit on 1019mb. The forecast is for heavy overcast and mist until noon and then broken cloud for the rest of the day with a chance of light rain but some sunny spells also. The constant moderate west wind gives a high of 12C and a low of 5C. The outlook is for it to come cooler, single figure for the high for the next five days. Some of the more extreme forecasters are talking about snow on the hills down into Northern England and 'an Arctic blast'. We'll see.....
It could be Crombie weather very soon!
06:00. A dry walk on an almost calm morning under breaking cloud and a full moon. This is at odds with the forecast as is the wind direction, it was easy to see as clouds scudded across the moon that it is not due west as per the forecast but NNW and steady. It may be that we have been given the west coast forecast when we are getting the east coast weather. For all that, a pleasant walk!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday we had constant light rain from midday onwards and it was the same at 19:00. First thing this morning it was still raining but now, a couple of hours later it has stopped and the flags have dried up in the light cold wind. The glass is down with a bang to 1005mb. The forecast is for a brighter dryer day with the chance of a shower late morning and perhaps the odd sunny spell. The wind is a constant NW and it is much colder, high of 7C and a low of 1C tonight. In point of fact the high is now and we will spend most of the day around 2C. I shall get the Crombie out, it's time has come! (Ignore the doomsayer's warnings of snow, there will be some on the Scottish hills but not down here)
06:40. We had a dry walk under a clearing sky with the almost full moon high in the west. I swapped into the Crombie, the Hogg padded coat is put away until next year. It was needed as it was cold in the wind and this is the warmest we will have today, it's going to get colder as the day goes on, this evening, allowing for the wind chill we shall get down to -1C. I think winter is upon us and this weekend the clocks change.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was a beautiful cold sunny day. At 19:00 it was clear cold and dry with a NW breeze. This morning first thing and now it's a clear, very cold morning with a brilliant moon and a NW wind. The glass is up on 1010mb. The forecast is for a CLOUDY DAY WITH A FEW SUNNY SPELLS BUT GOING ON EXPERIENCE i THINK THIS MAY BE A WEsT COAST BIASED FORECAST AND WE USUALLY GET THE EAST COAST WEATHER (bugger caps lock!) and so I fully expect more sun. The constant NW wind is light to moderate, the high is 6C and the low 2C but in fact with the wind chill it will be around freezing all day so wrap up warm.
05:55. A very good walk on a frosty morning. The sky is clear except for a few light scattered clouds and the cold NW wind is still very light. This is good seasonal weather and just right for walking! I have done a load of washing and will hang the heavier items out.....
Later, just had our late morning walk and they were right about the cloud, it has come in. In compensation the wind has not got up yet.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Seasons”