TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was cold but mitigated by the fact that the NW wind never reached it's forecast strength apart from occasional gusts. At 19:00 last night it was clear and cold with a light breeze. First thing this morning it was dry, scattered broken cloud and a cold wind, it's the same now with a brilliant moon overhead. The glass is up again at 1019mb. The forecast is for a dry day with occasional scattered cloud but plenty of sun. The variable light to moderate wind is northerly all day and gives a high of 7C and a low of -1C, the wind chill will make it feel like freezing or below for much of the day so wrap up warm again! The outlook is for similar weather for the next five days.
05:35. Bit of a surprise when we went out, there has been a very brief shower, only enough to leave spots on the flags. Otherwise the morning is slightly milder, high well scattered thin cloud with plenty of stars visible and a brilliant moon giving significant light. There is no wind at all, dead calm. Only one early morning worker, otherwise Jack and I had the town to ourselves.
Later. We've had our late morning walk and it is clear as bell, calm and wall to wall sunshine. Things could be worse.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was a bright day but occasionally punctuated by funny little half-hearted showers that just spotted the flags. At 19:00 it was dark of course because of the clock change but mostly clear, calm, dry and cool. This morning it was the same first thing and if anything a bit clearer now. The glass is down a touch at 1012mb. The Forecast is for a dry sunny day, mostly clear. The constant light E/NE wind gives a high of 6C and a low of 0C, at the beginning and end of the day this will feel like freezing due to the wind chill. The outlook for the next two days is similar but then warming slightly.
06:00. A bracing walk on a dry, calm, clear frosty morning. The gritters have been out on the roads and it's a good walking morning. A pleasure to be out there!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Just waiting for the frost to lift off the back yard and I'll be hanging some bedding out, the yard is north facing so I reckon I'll be using the tumble drier by 4pm :-)
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Beautiful morning for a walk, the 360° view from the top of Pinhaw was stunning!
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Wendyf wrote: 29 Oct 2018, 11:10 Beautiful morning for a walk, the 360° view from the top of Pinhaw was stunning!
I'm just off out for a walk now, it'll probably involve lunch somewhere :-)
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nice day yesterday . Calm, dry, clear and cold at 19:00 and the same this morning, brilliant moon. Glass down with a bump again to 996mb. Forecast is for a cloudy dry day but chance of a shower at 4AM. The constant light wind is NW until this evening then swings to SW. High of 8C and low of 1C. Outlook similar for 3 days.
04:30. We went out an hour earlier and as we went out at 04:00 it was raining slightly! How do they do it? A consequence was that the concrete slabs on the bridge in Valley Gardens and the stone flags in Town Square were shot ice. I wasn't expecting that!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Through the hospital window lovely day at first at Keighley but deteriorated later to cold rain. First thing this morning calm, light cold rain which eased by 07:00. Glass is up slightly on 997mb. Forecast is for a mixed day of early showers and then sunshine. The light west wind is constant giving a high of 8C and a low of 3C.
Had my normal half hour walk, rain eased and no problems at all.
Cheerful sign, I note that Indigo and Ivy, the boutique on Church Street has been re-stocked and is open. I wish whoever has done it well!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was more than acceptable for the time of year. At 20:00 it was clear and cold with a light breeze. At 4AM this morning it was clear, calm and cold, every evidence that a frost would develop. The glass is up on just over 1014mb. The forecast is for a clear dry sunny day clouding over later tonight. The constant light west wind holds until later tonight when the cloud comes in, the wind will tend to the south. The high will be 9C and the low 5C. The outlook for the next five days is for quiet slightly warmer, dry weather.
We have just come back from our early walk round Valley Gardens (6AM). A very pleasant dry morning with a very light west wind and no frost. Only one thing of interest, a large very furry cat was enjoying an early morning snack on top of the pillar at the end of the bridge near B&D. It never saw us until we were on him and when he realised there was a dog he shot off at full trot! He was never in any danger of course, Jack ignored him completely.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Another good day yesterday, we are being so lucky with the weather! At 20:00 last night it was dry and cool with a light breeze, this morning we have more wind as ex-hurricane Oscar passes to the north of the UK, it's overcast but dry at the moment. The glass is down a shade at 1014mb. The forecast is for it to be cloudy but dry until this afternoon when rain will come in and persist for the rest of the day. The constant southerly wind is moderate to strong with gusts up to 40mph. The high will be 11C and the low 9C.
06:15. A pleasant walk on a blustery morning. It's not cold and the overcast is there but thinner than I thought because to moon is clearly visible but with a halo, however no stars. The wind is very refreshing actually, so different than the dead air in hospital! (I used to stand next to the open window to get and occasional whiff of fresh air.) this is good for me! It's a splendid morning!
Just had our morning walk after a long morning. Very blustery out there but it's not a cold wind and I really enjoyed a good wuther! (Lots of deep breathing and enjoying the clean air!)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The rain was a bit late coming in yesterday about 15:30. It had stopped at 18:30 when I let Jack out for his evening pee before the fireworks started, we just managed it! First thing this morning it was overcast, dry and a mild light southerly breeze. We've just had our morning walk and it's still the same, quite a pleasant morning actually. Nobody about but one lonely, opened but full, can of Carlsberg Lager on the steps into the car park. I emptied it and binned it reflecting that it was a evidently a drink too far and I wouldn't like his head this morning! (Him because it was almost certainly a male)
The glass is down on 1002mb. The forecast tells me that it's raining lightly at the moment (I've checked, it speaks with forked tongue!) and gives a mainly bright and dry day with sunny spells but a possible shower of rain this evening. The wind is southerly and light all day, none of yesterday's gusts! The high is 12C and the low 7C. The 5 day outlook is for a similar pattern.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We got a light shower in the early evening but dry apart from that. I had Jack out early to try to avoid the fireworks, it was effective up to a point but then bangs started and we were indoors fast! The sky was almost totally clear, it was calm, dry and mild. Fist thing this morning it was overcast but calm and dry, it's the same now. The glass is down ever so slightly on a shade over 1000mb. The forecast is for a mild, dry, overcast day with no sun. The very light constant wind is from the east and the high will be 9C and the low 8C tonight. Tomorrow will be warmer but same cloud, Wednesday looks like rain and wind!
06:10. Back from a very pleasant walk on a mild morning with a very light wind. The overcast isn't as thick as I thought, as I was walking up Butts towards Church Street I saw the waning crescent mood through a halo of cloud. Down at ground level there is a slight mist in the air, perhaps this cloud is lower than I thought.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was dull but dry and mild. I had Jack out early at 17:30 to avoid fireworks and it was overcast but mild. First thing this morning it was the same, it's not changed, calm, mild, dry and overcast. The glass is down on 993mb. The forecast is very similar to yesterday, overcast, mild and dry all day with perhaps a chance of rain starting late tonight. The constant SE wind is light becoming moderate and the high is 13C and the low 11C. Very quiet weather. It looks like wind and rain tomorrow so if you have anything to do outside, get out there today!
06:30. A pleasant walk on a calm mild morning. More mist than yesterday and no sight of the moon. As we got back home clear patches were emerging to the south. A good walk!
I noted yesterday that the hanging baskets have been removed but forgot to mention it. This morning some of the store-front Xmas trees round the Town Square have been erected and are lit. 49 days to Xmas and it looks as though the annual campaign has started!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was a very dull and at times gloomy day. Round about teatime it brightened up as the sky cleared, it stayed dry all evening. This morning first thing it was almost calm, mild and dry, since then we have had a light shower but it is dry at the moment.... The glass is down to 984mb. The forecast is for a mixed generally overcast day with frequent rain showers. The constant moderate but gusty wind starts as SE but ends in the SW. The high will be 12C and the low 5C. The outlook is dryer but slightly cooler.
05:55. As it wasn't raining we got out early and were lucky. We had a dry walk on a breezy but mild morning. The overcast is 100% but looks as though it is broken, it's dark of course and bad to assess. No sign of the waning moon or the stars. A surprising number of early morning workers on the streets, perhaps because I am early. A pleasant walk, I have had much worse!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The rain was here all day on and off. At 18:00 it was dry, overcast and mild. This morning first thing it was breezy, mild and a clear sky with brilliant stars, it is calm as I write and we appear to have 75% cloud. The glass is up with a bang on 1002mb. The forecast is for a dry, bright, overcast day with sunny spells in the early part of the day up to mid-afternoon. The constant southerly wind is moderate and occasionally blustery. The high is 10C and the low 6C, a touch cooler than yesterday. The outlook is for similar weather for the next few days.
06:00. A very pleasant walk round Valley Gardens on a calm, slightly cooler morning. The overcast seems to be 100% now, no stars visible. The town is very quiet..... no complaints at all, I have had worse walks at this time of year!
Later.... We've had an early second walk because of Airedale and it is very cold out there in that wind!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Noticeably colder yesterday but dry. This morning first thing it was calm, overcast, dry and cool, I've just had a look and it is still the same. The glass is down slightly to just over 1001mb. The forecast is for a dry, bright overcast day with sunny spells until early evening when we can expect rain. The wind is SE all day starting light but gradually increasing and becoming more gusty this evening when it will bring in rain after 18:00. The high will be 10C and the low 8C. The foreseeable outlook predicts similar weather for the next five days.
06:45. A pleasant walk down to the butcher's. The sky had started to clear and some stars were visible. the wind was so light as to be almost calm. A good walk and the only thing I have noted is that it's cooler and I feel slightly cold so rather than turning the thermostat up I have put my Damart vest on! Cheaper and more efficient.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Just had our later walk and it is definitely colder out there but at the moment bright. Glad I have my Damart on!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

It's got a bit gloomy out now...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It did Kev and by mid afternoon we had light mizzle. At 18:00 it was still dry but quite cold. First thing this morning it was quite mild, calm and broken cloud allowing the stars to show but there was an occasional spot of rain. Just looked out, it's still dry but clouded over in the last hour. I noted that the glass was falling fast after dinner yesterday and this morning it is down with a bump on 980mb. The forecast for today is for a cloudy start with the chance of a shower around 06:00 then brightening in the middle of the day to give us some sun. Clouding over again in the afternoon and some rain in the early evening. The southerly wind is constant and lighter than yesterday giving a high of 10C and a low of 7C.
06:10. The forecast was right, we had a light shower just before we went out but we had a dry walk. The slight wind is cool and the sky is clearing, a lot of stars visible.
I note that Indigo and Ivy on Church Street is empty again. I believe they just opened to sell bankrupt stock. I'm sorry to see that and I hope the attempt hasn't caused too much damage to the proprietors.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The forecast rain didn't amount to much yesterday. At 19:00 it was overcast, dry and breezy. First thing this morning there was a light breeze, it was dry with scattered cloud and visible stars, since then it has clouded over but is still dry. The glass is up slightly but still low on 984mb. The forecast is for scattered cloud until 09:00 then rain until early evening when we revert to dry with scattered cloud or even a clear sky. The constant southerly wind is moderate and gives a high of 9C and a low of 7C. The outlook is for similar weather, no surprises!
06:00. A good walk. Cool with a light breeze but dry. A few stars peep through but nowhere near as clear as yesterday, I suppose that fits in with the forecast of rain at 09:00. Not a bad walk and I see that all is ready for switching the Xmas lights on on the 17th of November. All over the country the Centenary Remembrance days are starting with pipers playing laments in Scotland. Very moving to think about it.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The rain came in at around 10AM just in time for Wendy and Col walking round Weets. At 19:00 it was clear, calm, cool and dry. First thing this morning it was the same but an hour later, as happens so often, it's the same but a bit more breeze and light cloud obscuring most stars. The glass has risen to 996mb. The forecast is very similar to yesterday but the cloud id more broken all day giving some sunny spells. There is a chance of some light isolated showers this evening. The constant southerly wind will be moderate giving a high of 10C and a low of 7C. No significant change in the 5 day outlook.
05:45. We were out early.... The first thing that puzzled me was the fact that the flags and back street were bone dry but at various random places on our walk there was evidence that there had been a recent very light shower. I can only surmise that it was small in area. Otherwise a dry walk, a light breeze and as we went on the sky became more clear and by the time we were in Butts there were plenty of stars visible. Chilly but not cold and nothing to complain about at all. This and better will do me.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Just come back from our late morning walk, it's lovely out there, sunny not cold and the wind is lighter than expected. Lovely fresh clean air!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I have a line full of washing out, it might not dry completely but it'll smell nice.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Always nice to dry outside isn't it Kev, especially bedding!
Good day yesterday and still dry at 19:00 but first thing this morning it's raining hard, it's bated at the moment. The glass is up slightly at just shy of 1002mb. The forecast is for heavy showers until 06:00 and then a bright day with sunny spells with perhaps a light shower later on around noon. The wind is SW, moderate all day and tending to the south later. High of 10C and a low of 8C. A touch warmer tomorrow and could be dry.
06:10. The forecast was accurate, we have had a wet walk and Jack needed a good rub down after an early bath. The SW wind is brisk and the showers intermittent, my rain gauge in Butts tells me that whilst there has been significant rain during the night it was nit excessive, there is a healthy flow only over the cill of Butts Dam. As we got near home the rain ceased and as the light increases slowly I can see breaks in the cloud coming in from the SW. It could be much worse.
My mind goes to the wildfires in California..... We have much to be thankful for in our weather.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Overall it was a dry day yesterday. At 19:00 it was cool, dry, breezy and overcast. This morning first thing we had damp flags and a breeze but it was dry, I've just looked outside and we have the same but with light rain. The glass was rising all day yesterday but this morning is falling slightly and on 1010mb. The forecast is for rain until noon with a dry spell after 8AM with a glimpse of the sun. From noon onwards it brightens up. The constant southerly wind is brisk and we will have a high of 11C and a low of 6C. The outlook for the next five days is similar but a touch cooler.
06:00. It was raining lightly when we went out but soon ceased so we have had a dry windy walk, cool in the wind but I have had much worse. Jack didn't need to be rubbed down. Not bad at all.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Not as much rain late morning as forecast yesterday. At 19:00 the sky was clear, the wind light and it was dry but cool. This morning first thing it was the same but calm, I've just had a shufti and as happens so often the sky is clouding over, clear sky still to the West, I can see stars and aircraft lights there. The glass is steady on 1013mb. The forecast is good, clear sky and full sun all day. The constant southerly wind is lighter giving a high of 11C and a low of 8C tonight. We are still under the influence of the warm air coming in from Europe. Looks like an excellent walking day!
06:15. The sky has cleared, plenty of stars. Heavy dew and almost no wind. All the signs of a good sunny day. We are being very lucky, remember it's the middle of November!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Seasons”