TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Post by Stanley »

The light rain came in dead on time yesterday as forecast at 10:00. Nothing to worry about. At 21:00 we had a mild moderate SW wind, dry with broken cloud. This morning it's the same and the flags are just damp and drying out. The glass is rising slowly, just above 1015mb. The forecast is for a bright dry day with plenty of sun after a shower in the next couple of hours. The moderate southerly winds will give us 19C high and 12C low tonight. A bit of an improvement! I am washing a sheepskin and it can hang outside all day to dry. Reasons to be cheerful Wendy!
05:50. The forecast rain hasn't arrived, or if it has it was only mizzle. We were out early and have had a dry walk under broken cloud. The moderate wind is mild and even though we were out early it was getting light so the cloud is thin. A very pleasant walk. The Damson Tree in the Memorial Gardens has a good show of blossom and it has not been damaged by wind, rain or frost, I suspect it might have a good crop this year. I have hung the sheepskin out on the line, it can stay there even if we do get a shower. It will be well on the way to being dry by the end of the day and there is always tomorrow!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It was a bit slow to get out yesterday but when it did is was a lovely afternoon. At 21:00 the sky was clear, there was a gentle SW breeze and it was dry and mild. This morning first thing the sky was still clear but it was mild and dry, it's still the same and getting light. The glass is steady on just above 1017mb. The forecast is dead simple, clear, dry and sunny all day with a light breeze mainly from the west. The high is 19C and the low 7C. About time too!
05:45. A perfect walk. Light mild wind, sky is clear and the best daylight this year. When the sun rises at 06:00 we will have full sunlight. Looks like a decent day. The Council cut the grass in Barlick yesterday......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We've just been out for our late walk and it is a beautiful morning! First shirtsleeve walk since last 'summer'. Don't lose sight of the fact that this is unusual weather and can't be expected to last but isn't it wonderful!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Pure joy yesterday, the first real summer's day is so delightful after the winter. at 21:00 it was clear, a bright waxing crescent moon, a light SE wind and mild. This morning it's the same but with some scattered thin wisps of cloud. The glass is up again at 1019mb. The forecast is for a dry day, overcast until mid morning but then clear and sunny for the rest of the day. The light to moderate west wind gives us a high of 14C and a low of 5C tonight.
07:00. Back from the butcher's, I was a bit later going out at 06:10 in broad daylight under 100% overcast but it was mild and I just had a heavy overshirt on. A very pleasant leisurely walk on a promising morning.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Another good day yesterday, it cleared up nicely in the afternoon. First thing this morning it was calm, clear and fresh, it was the same when we went for our walk at 05:30. Good daylight, a few wispy clouds coming in and fresh enough to make your breath visible as steam but a nice walk on a promising morning. The glass is steady on 1019mb. The forecast is good, wall to wall sun and dry until later tonight when there is a chance of light rain. The wind is a very light easterly which will cool things down a couple of degrees but the high is 18C and the low tonight 11C. The outlook is still good but slightly cooler at nearer the annual average, still in double figures.
Noticeable that in the last few days the early trees like Sycamore have started to break into leaf. Everything is looking quiet and nice. This and better will do!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was lovely...... At 21:00 it was calm, very mild and an almost clear sky, what wind there was was westerly. This morning it's a bit windier, still mild, clear and dry. If there was any of the forecast rain last night it's completely dried up. The glass is down with a bump on just over 1003mb. The forecast is for a bright day with sunny spells and some rain around noon. The constant SW wind is moderate and will cool us down a bit, high of 14C and low of 7C tonight, nearer the average for this time of year and still very acceptable and growy.
Back home at 06:00. Very pleasant walk, just my light Hogg's coat on plenty warm enough. Very mild, a light SW wind, dry, lots of clear sky with scattered high cloud and daylight came early. The birds in Valley Gardens were singing louder than ever and the trees look greener every day. The season has turned I think! Only sign of human activity was a large pool of vomit in Valley Gardens.... is that a sign of a good night out?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The forecast was right yesterday, we had midday rain but it cleared up and we had a sunny end to the day. At 21:00 we had a cool west wind and broken cloud. This morning there was evidence of a light shower during the night but the flags were drying out. We had a good walk in a fresh westerly wind, much cooler than of late, in other words, normal Spring weather! The glass fell towards 1000mb last night but this morning is rising and is on 1005mb. The forecast is for a dry start with broken cloud and some sunny spells, later this evening rain is forecast. The wind is a constant fresh westerly that will cool us down a bit from the high of 11C and a low of 7C tonight. The media will talk about the return of winter but this is normal Spring weather.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We got the light rain at teatime and at 21:00 it was breezy, cool and fair under an overcast sky with wet flags. This morning it's the same but dry flags so it hasn't rained in the night. The glass is steady, a shade under 1050mb. The forecast is almost the same, dry overcast day with rain between 14:00 and 20:00. Constant moderate west wind giving 10C for the high and 6C for the low. A bit cool in the wind, a 3 or 4C wind chill. Barlick Spring!
06:00. Back from a bracing walk. The moderate wind is cool, it's dry and the overcast is breaking a bit. Red sky in the East as the sun gets up. It could be worse!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The rain came in on cue yesterday after noon and it was still raining this morning first thing. We went out for our walk at 05:45 and the cloud was breaking, the rain had stopped but our rain gauge in Butts showed that a fair amount had fallen in the last 18 hours. The west wind is brisk when you are exposed but can't be called cold. The glass is down a touch at 1003mb. The forecast is for April weather, showers and sunny intervals, a period of rain around noon and another lighter one in the early afternoon. The wind is a constant moderate SW and we have a high of 10C and a low of 5C with s 3 or 4C wind chill. It's Barlick spring weather.... overall a very quiet weather picture, similar weather as far as we can see over the next five days..
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The light rain came in on cue yesterday and a nice aftermath with sun and big fluffy white clouds. At 21:00 it was breezy and cool , overcast and damp but not raining. This morning when I went out with Jack it was just starting to rain gently, just looked outside and it is still spotting but not enough to wet the flags. The glass is up a touch on 1004mb. The forecast is a rerun of yesterday, mostly dry with sunny intervals but a couple of spells of rain during the day. The wind is again a constant moderate WSW and the high will be 9C and the low 5C with a 3C wind chill. Another Barlick Spring day.
06:10. Back after a wet walk. Intermittent cold rain all the way round this morning and the wind is a shade north of west making it cooler. Jack had to be rubbed down and is feeling no pain. Despite the weather, the trees are greening up nicely in Valley Gardens.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was a rerun of the day before, a nice afternoon but cold. At 21:00 the sky was almost clear, it was breezy and cold but dry. The almost full moon was showing through thin cloud (full moon on Sunday). This morning it was the same, a good moon, clear and cold in a west wind. The glass is rock steady on 1005mb. The forecast is for the overcast to come in and by 09:00 we can expect rain that will last until 19:00. The wind is changing and will settle as ENE, light and constant. It will be cooler, 7C as a high and 4C low with a 2 or 3C wind chill. So wrap up warm and take your brolly with you!
06:30. Back from the butcher's. Almost calm, 100% overcast and much cooler. There is a heavy dew and a hint of mist. Now for the rain.......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Dead on time, light rain arrived at 09:00 and is persisting......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The light, cold miserable rain ceased around 17:00 as per the forecast. At 21:00 we had a light cold breeze and it was dry under clearing skies. This morning it's clear, cold and a light cold breeze. We have a brilliant almost full moon. The glass is still rock steady on 1005mb. The forecast is for a dry bright day, mostly overcast but with some sunny spells. The constant NE wind is light and the high is 9C with a low of 4C tonight. There is a 3C wind chill. Slightly better than yesterday. The outlook for the next two days is the same. Nothing very exciting!
06:05. A cool dry walk under a clear sky gradually being obscured by very high cloud coming in from the NE. It's cool, there is a slight grass frost and in Valley Gardens particularly my breath was steaming.
I noticed this morning that we have new surveillance cameras. Instead of the glass dome they have heads that swivel and move up and down. They seem to have something on them like motion detectors, the one in Town Square followed me as I walked through. Expensive kit, I wonder who paid for them and whether anybody views the footage? Is this to make up for the lack of officers on the ground?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Stanley wrote: 28 Apr 2018, 03:32 I noticed this morning that we have new surveillance cameras. Instead of the glass dome they have heads that swivel and move up and down. They seem to have something on them like motion detectors, the one in Town Square followed me as I walked through. Expensive kit, I wonder who paid for them and whether anybody views the footage? Is this to make up for the lack of officers on the ground?
According to the website the Town Council now looks after the CCTV cameras in town. A chunk of the precept goes to their costs. Whether they are monitored or reviewed or not begs a question. I have not heard of anyone being brought to boot for the two break ins within days of one another to the mobile phone shop on Albert Road despite it being in full view of one of the town square cameras. It does make you wonder if they are being used to full effect.

Another note on surveillance around the town, there is a local Facebook site for households to register on if they have home CCTV system. Quite often these will cover sections of the residential streets the idea being that footage may be able to be retrieved if there is any bother in those areas covered by private camera systems. Facebook site to share information, bit like an electronic neighbourhood watch.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

CCTV footage can be requested via Joanne Geldard in the Civic Offices in Station Road.
The Facebook CCTV group covers quite a few areas of the town, there are limitations on where you can point your cameras though. Mine mostly cover within my own boundaries with the exception of the two at the front of the house, these cover the street as I have no off street parking.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

" Civic Offices in Station Road." I'm puzzled Kev, I thought the Council office had been closed. Is there something I don't know about?
I'm late up so the weather will follow after a walk to waken me up!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

At 21:00 last night it was calm, dry, cool and clear. It was the same this morning first thing and during our walk. The glass has risen to 1010mb. The forecast is for a dry bright day with sunny spells. The wind will be a constant NE and a little stronger than yesterday. The high is 9C and the low 3C with a 3Cwindchill. A slight improvement but don't cast a clout yet!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 29 Apr 2018, 04:13 " Civic Offices in Station Road." I'm puzzled Kev, I thought the Council office had been closed. Is there something I don't know about?
The 'council shop' has closed but the town council still has a prescence in the civic hall.

Barnoldswick Town Council
Civic Hall, Station Road, Barnoldswick BB18 5NA
01282 788090

https://g.co/kgs/g8V1mM
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I didn't know that. Thanks Kev......
By the way, the day is looking better than the forecast, wall to wall sun at the moment!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Hopefully it'll stay that way for my grandson's football match in Victory Park. 10:30 kick off.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The lad had good conditions! At 21:00 it was almost a clear sky, a cold light east wind and dry. This morning it was the same first thing but with 50% heavy cloud cover. The full moon was backlighting the cloud and it was quite spectacular. It's still the same. The glass is down slightly at 1008mb. The forecast is for a dry bright day with plenty of sun. The constant NE wind will increase to moderate and we'll have a high of 9C and a low of 1C tonight with a frost. The wind chill will be 3 to 4C depending on the strength of the wind so enjoy the sun but wrap up warm!
06:10. A chilly but pleasant walk on a dry morning and under clearing skies. Almost a grass frost but not quite. If you look at the forecast for the SE you'll realise we are quite lucky, their forecast for today is dire, strong winds and a month's worth of rain..... Remember that as you enjoy today's sun.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nice day yesterday, at 21:00 it was calm, clear and chilly. First thing this morning it was the same with a lovely moon. No frost then but by the time we went out at 05:30 for our walk we had a light frost under a sky that was beginning to cloud over. The glass is down to a shade above 1002mb. The forecast is for a dry bright day with broken cloud and sunny spells. There is a chance of light rain late tonight. The wind is a light WSW developing into a fresher breeze. The high is 11C and the low tonight 7C. There will be a wind chill of 4C when the wind strengthens. A warmer day but with the possible penalty of rain coming in later from the west.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was nicer than forecast. At 21:00 it was overcast, almost calm and dry, much warmer. This morning it's raining . The glass is down with a bump on 990mb. The forecast is for significant rain until 09:00 then dry and bright with sunny spells for the rest of the day. The constant moderate west wind gives us a high of 9C and a low of 4C tonight with a 3 or 4C wind chill.
06:05. Back in after our walk. I got rugged up for wet weather but as we stepped out of the door the rain bated and it was reasonably dry. No complaints! Very little of note apart from the fact that despite some low temperatures everything is gradually greening up.
One thing that did strike me was that some trip hazards have been marked in Town Square. Four of them are on the road outside Barlic Bites but even worse potholes lie in the road either side of these. The focus has evidently been on pedestrian trip hazards. Are they the ones most likely to generate a claim for damages?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

At 21:00 last night it was cool, dry and a clearing sky. First thing this morning it was the same with a clear sky. We have just come back from our walk and it is still cool and dry but a thin high overcast is coming in. Broad daylight at 05:30 when we went out, lovely..... The glass started rising yesterday and is up at 1010mb this morning. The forecast is for a dry, bright but overcast day. The constant SW wind is lighter and this is reflected in the high of 10C and low of 8C with a 3C windchill until later in the day. The outlook is for much warmer weather. About time!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

At 21:00 last night we had a mild dry evening under broken cloud. First thing this morning it was clear, dry and mild with a light breeze. I've just looked outside and it is calm, dry and mild, difficult to tell if the sky is clear or a light high level overcast. The glass is up again on 1025mb. The forecast is for a bright, dry, overcast day until some late evening sunshine. The wind is light and mainly westerly. The high is 14C and the low 8C with minimal wind chill. The outlook for the weekend and into next week is good, dry and even warmer.
We were back home at 06:45 after a pleasant walk on a mild morning. It's cloudy but some breaks are coming in from the west. It's mild and for the first time, there are clear signs of vigorous growth of the grass on the Green and elsewhere. There were midges about as well near Butts Beck, a good sign for the swallows as they arrive slightly late. It looks as though they have timed their return well!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Seasons”