TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Post by Stanley »

The forecast was right about the rain but the wind came in later than they forecast, a wet windy night. At 19:30 it was going dark and raining heavily with a strong wind. First thing this morning we had the wind still but only light rain, I've just looked out, the wind has dropped but we still have light rain. The glass fell like a stone yesterday to somewhere just above 980mb, it has started to rise rapidly and at the moment is on 988mb, still very low. The forecast is for rain, and at times hail, all day until 18:00 when it will dry up perhaps. The constant stiff west wind gives us a high of 11C and a low of 7C tonight. The outlook for the weekend is very much the same but colder. Could we be seeing the start of the equinoctial gales? Looks like wet weather gear, no problem with leaky boots, the Trickers are fine.
06:45. It's stopped raining now but the walk was wet windy and miserable!
I nearly got wiped out this morning on the way to the butcher's. I was crossing the road junction between Skipton Road and Wentcliffe Avenue and was over half way across when a speeding car on the wrong side of the road came straight at me. I think I dodged away but I'm not sure, I was certain that he was going to hit me and my friend Barbara who saw it happening screamed. The car brushed my leg and I finished up leaning on it. The driver told me that he hadn't seen me, this on a well lit junction and me in a yellow waterproof. I told him to bugger off, he wasn't fit to push a pram. I was shaking. I thought it was curtains. Notice I had almost completed crossing, he was on the wrong side. 82 years of surviving more white knuckle than most and a pillock like that could kill me!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

That will have left you shaken! Was Jack OK?
A wild and bracing walk round the fields this morning in full wet weather gear though we just met with showery rain. Back to splashing through puddles! There was a beautiful double rainbow over the valley as we set out.
I put rugs on the ponies at teatime yesterday as they were already wet and cold, this morning when the sun came out they went crazy to warm themselves up, galloping round chasing the sheep out of their paddock, bucking and farting explosively!
I checked the outdoor temperature just before I went to bed last night at about 10pm and it had shot up to over 17C having not reached much more than 12C all day, very strange!
We were woken up by the wind at about 2am, and Colin went out into the barn to turn the turbine off! I've just checked the weather station and we had gusts around 40mph for an hour or so. My link to the station on here isn't working, I need to redo it.
Hope you are recovering Stanley.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks Wendy. Jack leads on the left so he was away from the car. I feel OK but I know it shocked me so I am being very kind to myself. I shall take Jack for his middle pee, have a steak pudding and go to bed. no shed or any exertion. Might even have a whisky!
Thanks again for asking...... I like that image of Dennis and Sparky!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Did you get the reg Stanley? Report the bugger if you did, too many inconsiderate morons on the road who think they own it. Glad you are OK, after a fashion, you do right, take it easy.
Ian
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Perhaps you were fortunate that he missed you. If it had happened after the recent A&E proposals had been introduced you could have been in a bit of a dilemma. Link.. If your injuries were very serious you would have been OK to go to A&E. Otherwise you may have to book an appointment to be seen with the minimum of delay. So just to be on the safe side each time you think you may be crossing a road book an A&E appointment before you leave the house. And these people are in charge of our country!
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

The sun setting due West this evening. For the next 3 months it sets further south each day. That sounds wrong doesn't it? But it is correct! There are only 2 days in the year where we are the same whatever your latitude.
The theory:
The size of the variation of the position of sunset to either side of due west is something which changes with latitude. The angle, 23.5 degrees, that is the tilt of the Earth's axis, and therefore the maximum deviation the Sun has above and below being directly over the Earth's equator. If you lived exactly at the equator, this angle would be the maximum azimuth the sunset moves from due West (ie. on Dec 21st, the sun sets 23.5 deg south of west at the equator, while on June 21st it sets 23.5 deg north of west), but north and south of the Equator the deviation is larger by a factor 1/cos(latitude).

Another useless fact!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Ian, I was so angry all I did was inform him of his shortcomings!
"Perhaps you were fortunate that he missed you." That'll be right P!
I was back in bed by 11 and slept like a log for three hours, better than A&E.
Funny thing is there is nobody more careful then me when crossing the road. I still do my Kerb Drill from almost 80 years ago. But that bugger was moving! Late up I suppose.....
It was a wet day yesterday, short sunny spells but then heavy loose showers. At 19:30 it was dry and clear with a cool wind. This morning I think we have overcast and it's dry and breezy. The glass rose all day yesterday and is now on 1009mb. The forecast is for a dry overcast day. The wind is a constant moderate westerly and we will have a high of 11C and a low of 5C tonight, a bit cooler. That's the trend at the moment.
05:55. Cool, dry, overcast and calm. A far better morning than yesterday. I only saw one pedestrian a lady dropped off on the Council Office Corner. She was definitely under dressed and weaving slightly. I reflected that different people have different attitudes to what is a good night!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The sun was visible aT TIMES YESTERDAY VEILED IN CLOUD BUT NEVER BROKE THROUGH. aT 19:30 LAST NIGHT THE SKY WAS CLEAR AND WE HAD A COOL BREEZE. (bugger caps lock!) During the night it was clear but at the moment we have a thin overcast, the almost full moon is visible but it has a halo. (Full moon tomorrow night) The glass is up slightly at 1011mb. The forecast is for a dry brighter day with sunny spells. The wind is mainly NW and is light to moderate. The high will be 11C and the low 5C tonight.
05:50. Back home after a dry walk on a calm cool morning with high, light and broken cloud. Not a soul about.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Autumn Equinox of course today, Summer has been a good one. :smile:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Cool day yesterday but dry. At 19:30 last night it was dry, clear and cold. This morning first thing it was dry, clear and cool, same now. The glass is up with a bang again to 1029mb. The forecast is a re-run of yesterday, dry with sunny spells. The wind is lighter and more West than North giving us a high of 11C and a low of 5C. The outlook is dry and perhaps a touch warmer.
06:25. Much lighter this morning, almost daylight when we got back home. A clear sky, calm, dry and a definite chill in the air. I saw Barbara this morning for the first time since my encounter with the hit man.... She says she hasn't got over it yet and that I will never be any nearer to being hit. On reflection I think she might be right. Onwards and Upwards! Excelsior!!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Clear and chilly with plenty of sun and fluffy white clouds yesterday. At 19:30 last night it was dry clear and cold, almost cold enough for a frost to develop. This morning it is the same with a brilliant almost full moon. The glass is up slightly at 1031mb, very high. The forecast is for an even brighter dry day all day. The wind is variable and very light until 10:00 when it settles down to a moderate SW. This gives a high of 14C and a low of 11C, this low puzzles me at times because in fact it's about 4C at the moment.
06:25. Clear, dry, cold but no frost and coming light early. That about sums it up. If you're dressed for it, perfect walking weather!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Another sunny day yesterday and perhaps slightly warmer than the forecast. At 19:30 it was clear and dry with a coll breeze. This morning we have high cloud almost masking the moon, dry and a bit warmer than yesterday. The glass is down slightly at 1024mb. The forecast is for heavy overcast today and the forecast says we have light rain until about 07:00 but no sign of it yet. The constant SW wind will be moderate all day and give a high of 15C and a low of 12C.
06:30. A breezy walk under an overcast sky with just a hint of rain on the wind.
What caught my attention was the unusual sight of a van obviously used for transporting prisoners. No markings and probably bought second-hand by the Model Garage. Unusual and noteworthy.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Stanley wrote: 26 Sep 2018, 03:33 What caught my attention was the unusual sight of a van obviously used for transporting prisoners. No markings and probably bought second-hand by the Model Garage. Unusual and noteworthy.
My friend says they have similar unmarked vans in Nanning and they are mobile execution vans for prisoners who have been sentenced to death. I've never noticed them.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

First one I have ever seen China.
Dull dull dull yesterday but dry after light mizzle 'til 09:00. At 19:30 last night half the sky (to the east) was heavy dark cloud, my half was clear, mild and dry with a breeze. This morning it's mild, dry, a light breeze and high broken cloud that doesn't obscure the moon. The glass has hardly moved, just a shade under 1024mb. The forecast is for a dry bright overcast day with the chance of some sun. The wind starts light SW, increases quickly to a moderate breeze and in the afternoon backs through west to end up NW. The high is 15C and the low a chilly 4C.
06:15. A pleasant walk on a mild, calm, dry morning. The cloud is still high and thin and looks like breaking..... That's about it, quiet and calm, I've seen worse!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We've just had our second morning walk, a bit more breeze and still overcast but relatively mild.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Not a bad day yesterday. At 19:30 it was overcast, there had been a very light shower and it was quite a cool breeze. This morning it is dry and breezy but cooler. We have a distinctive band of high mackerel could aligned East to West, to the south it is overcast and to the North it is crystal clear.Since then the cloud has moved south and we now have a clear sky. The glass is up slightly on 1025mb. The forecast is for a dry clear day with uninterrupted sun. The wind is very light, NW for most of the day and the high is 12C and the low 5C. This is the pattern for the next week in the outlook, cooler and drier.
06:40. A pleasant walk down to the butcher's on a cool morning. There is a bit of thin high cloud and a very light NW wind. I almost expected a grass frost but it's not cold enough for that evidently but not far off. I fully expect one in the next five days.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Lovely sunny day yesterday. At b19:30 last night it was clear and dry with a light cool breeze. This morning it is the same and verging on a frost. The glass is steady on 1026mb. The forecast is for a bright overcast day and dry. The wind starts light and variable but soon settles down as a moderate westerly giving a high of 12C and a low of 9C. Quiet settled weather and not bad for the time of year!
05:55. A chilly but pleasant walk under light high broken overcast, not thick enough to obscure the moon. Calm down here but the clouds are moving driven by a wind that is coming from the WNW. Good walking weather!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Turned out nice for Sue's walk yesterday. At 19:30 last night it was cool, breezy and the cloud was coming in. First thing this morning it was cool and breezy but dry with high broken cloud but not enough to hide the moon. Since then it has started raining but only a light drizzle. The glass is down on 1014mb. The forecast is for an overcast day but brightening in the afternoon, this present rain will cease and there may be a chance of a shower just after dinner. The constant west wind will become moderate later in the morning and give us a high of 11C and a low tonight of 3C. We get closer to a frost.......
06:10. The band of rain has passed on it's way south and we had a dry walk in a light west wind under an overcast sky, no moon visible. Cool but not at all bad. Not quite as good a dry as yesterday but OK for the last day of September.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The light rain in the afternoon came in on schedule at 15:00, amazing how they can predict a local event like that..... Last night it was dark early at 19:30 and was overcast, breezy and definitely chilly. This morning we have a clear sky with a brilliant moon and stars. I think we may be heading for our first grass frost later. The glass is up at 1020mb. The forecast is for a dry day that starts bright and sunny and gradually gets more cloudy from noon onwards. The constant west wind starts very light and gradually builds to a moderate breeze as the cloud thickens in the afternoon. High of 10C and a low of 8C. Late tonight we could have light rain.
06:00.Clear, cold, dry, heavy dew and a brilliant moon. No frost as yet but it's very close to one, cold fingers and ears and smoking breath! But, a nice quiet walk, surprising number of people about, more than usual at this time.
The prison van appears to have a future. This morning I see that the upper part of the body except for the back wall has gone, it is now looking like a long flat.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Dull day, not good for drying washing. Dark early as well, at 19:00 last night it was very overcast and the wind was getting up but still dry. First thing this morning it was mild, windy and damp, 100% overcast. Just looked out and we now have light rain. The glass is down, just a shade over 1010mb. The forecast is for the rain to cease in an hour or so than a brighter sunny morning but deteriorating to heavy overcast for the rest of the day. The constant WNW wind is moderate all day, high of 12C and a low of 8C.
Later, just looked out and the sky has cleared, we have a brilliant crescent moon!
06:25. The moon had gone AWOL again by the time we went out but it's dry.The morning is mild and that';s a good job because we have a very stiff breeze, lots of leaves blowing about and walnuts covering the street outside Barlic Bites. Could be a lot worse, certainly no cobwebs on me or Jack.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Blustery day yesterday with only a small amount of clearer weather in the afternoon. At 19:00 it was getting dark and was heavily overcast bit dry, still windy. This morning first thing it was calm, dry, cool and overcast, still the same now. The glass is up on 1019mb. The forecast is for a mainly dry but heavily overcast day, slight chance of a shower mid afternoon. The constant westerly wind will increase to moderate but not as strong as yesterday giving us a high of 13C and a low of 12C. A dull uninteresting day from the looks of it.....
06:15. Not a lot to report. A calm, dry cool and quiet walk. The town is very quiet indeed, funny how each day varies.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It was dull all day as promised and enough mizzle on the wind to let you know it was there. At 19:00 it was overcast dry and mild with a westerly breeze. This morning first thing it was dry, light breeze and 85% cloud cover. Still the same now.... The glass is steady on 1018mb. The forecast is almost a rerun of yesterday. Cloudy all day with frequent showers of rain almost any time. The wind is a constant moderate SW and gives us a high of 13C and a low of 12C tonight.... Boring but not dangerous!
06:10. The forecast was accurate. By the time we went out we had light intermittent rain under 100% overcast. Very Quiet in the Town.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Another dull damp day yesterday. Last night at 19:00 it was dull, calm and damp but not quite raining. This morning first thing it was calm, overcast and drizzling but very mild. I've just looked outside and it has stopped raining.... The glass is down on 1010mb. The forecast is not cheerful, cloud all day and a chance of rain at almost any time. The wind is light, starts in the south and swings right round the compass and finishes in the North East tonight. The high is 13C and the low 6C tonight. We can look forward to a drier colder day tomorrow but over the next week the temperature might rise a bit.
06:45. A very quiet, mild and pleasant walk with very light winds. We were lucky and it was dry. That's about it apart from the fact that at 07:30 it isn't properly light yet.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was dull and mostly damp, never actually what you'd call wet but enough to be miserable all day and get dark early! At 19:00 it was dark and actually raining, jack didn't spend much time having his evening pee. This morning first thing it was mild, calm and we had light rain. Just had a look out and the rain has eased but you'd still call it wet. The glass is down slightly on a shade over 1008mb. The forecast is for a cooler day, the light rain will cease soon and we will have bright overcast clearing later this evening. The very light wind is a constant northerly and the high is 10C and the low 2C, grass frost tomorrow morning? The outlook is for it to warm slightly but not a lot!
06:10. The rain had bated and so we had an almost dry walk, totally dark of course but most of it is under street lamps.... Jack had an unintended snack last night when he stole half of my nuts, my fault, I left them exposed! This morning he had three substantial deliveries, I think we can safely say he is almost empty now!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It brightened up in the afternoon and the glass started rising. At 19:00 it was almost dark, dry, cold and a clear sky with a light wind. This morning first thing it was clear, dry and cold, still the same but there may be a light overcast. The glass is up on 1017mb. The forecast is for a bright overcast day with no rain in the forecast but no sun either. The wind is SW, very light at the moment but rising to moderate in the afternoon giving a high of 10C and a low of 10C also. At the moment I think we have our first grass frost.
06:45. Now it's light I can see the sky is clear. We have a waning crescent moon in the ESE. It's calm and we have frost on windscreens and grass. It's a good morning and we had a pleasant walk. Pleasure to be out there breathing clear clean air!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Seasons”