TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

plaques
Donor

Re: TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Post by plaques »

I agree. Called in the garden centre in Burnley The gardner up there complained that "this wind is no good to man nor beast, dries everything out". The trouble is, as we all know, is once it starts it doesn't know when to stop.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I commented yesterday how quickly the green fallen leaves on the Green dried out..... The snails have vanished as well, too dry or did the thrushes have a field day?
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I lost most of the unripe fruit as well as leaves from my currant bushes in the wind. I dont like to complain about dry weather so soon after the wettest winter and spring I can remember, but as you know I get anxious about our water supply. :sad:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

There was some good rain yesterday particularly in the afternoon. at 21:00 it was overcast, cool but dry with a moderate west wind. First thing this morning the light wind seems to be WNW, heavy cloud and cool but still dry. The glass is is trying to rise and is on 1006mb. The forecast is for an overcast wet day with rain possible at almost any time. The wind is a constant moderate SW and we can expect a high of 14C and a low of 12C. With a bit of luck Wendy's water supply will be topped up!
06:00. Back after a quiet, cool dry walk. Not a soul about and I only saw three cars. There is lots of heavy cloud coming in and it looks as though the wet forecast could be correct.
Two portaloos in Valley Gardens and what looks like the aftermath of a fête. I hadn't seen anything advertised.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

We only got very light rain yesterday, the heaviest stuff kept missing us.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Hard luck Wendy, we had a very heavy shower mid-afternoon. The forecast for today seems to indicate just light rain. I hope you get a downpour!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Thank you :good:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The CH kicked in briefly this morning, the thermostat is set at 18C.... I have put my vest back on......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Just had our late walk. The flags were dry when we went out but plenty of cloud scudding in and it was raining lightly by the time we got back. Not enough for Wendy though......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The rain was never more than light occasional showers in Barlick. At 21:00 it was overcast, a cool breeze and dry flags. Same this morning but the clouds are thicker and no light yet. The glass dropped slightly during the day but this morning is steady on 1008mb again. The forecast is for an overcast day brightening a little in the afternoon. Light rain possible early morning and late tonight. The wind is a constant moderate westerly all day giving us 15C high and 10C low tonight. The outlook is for similar weather all week. Not flaming June!
Listening to the Shipping Forecast it's apparent that the re-established Jet Stream which is now on its normal track across the Isles is bringing with it a succession of Atlantic Lows which is what is giving us 'normal' Barlick summer weather.
06:00. A quiet cool walk under heavy cloud. Occasionally a break in the clouds to the east brightens the sky but the sun hasn't broken through yet. It's dry but the feeling is that rain isn't far away!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Light rain on and off all day and at 21:00 it was overcast, cool and we had light drizzle. Not enough for Wendy I suspect but nevertheless better than nothing. First thing this morning we still had the light west wind but the sky was mostly clear and it was dry. The glass is up at 1015mb. The forecast is for a dry brighter day with sunny spells. The constant west wind will continue to be moderate but slightly warmer giving a high of 17C and a low of 15C tonight. Don't clap hands, this is one out of the bag, cooler forecast for tomorrow with some showers.
It's the longest day on Thursday......
06:00. There was sun coming in as we set off on our morning walk but cloud is building and it's blocked now. Almost calm, fresh and a dry morning. No increase in flow in Butts Beck which is a good sign as it indicates that what rain that has fallen has been absorbed and not run off.
It's very noticeable that the weather forecast on R4 is all about the south, very little attention paid to us. At the moment it's ten degrees cooler in Barlick than in the south and the big news today, shock horror, is that it's going to be muggy and cloudy down there. Oh dear......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Not a bad day at all yesterday, the sun has a lot of heat in it at this time of the year. At 21:00 it was overcast , mild, a light breeze and dry. Same this morning but the overcast is much heavier. The glass is down at 1010mb. The forecast shows the moderate SW wind bringing in light rain this morning but then the wind shifts into the west and it brightens up for the rest of the day with some sun. The high is 16C and a bit cooler tonight at 8C. Typical Barlick summer!
06:15. Not a lot to report. It's a dull overcast mild morning with a moderate SW wind. At the moment it's dry but very gloomy, the overcast must be quite thick. No sun! Rain wouldn't surprise me at all.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We have quite heavy fine rain at the moment. I hope Wendy is getting it as well!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

We are Stanley, at least my rainwater storage tanks will be filled up. :smile:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good!! :good: :good:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

We have a flow in the rainwater collection system from the roof! My 2 IBC tanks (for watering in the polytunnel and emergency supplies) are full and it's now topping up the duck pond and from there down the hill to an old bath for the sheep to drink from. That overflows into a huge old drain which heads directly to Harden Beck, Kelbrook and then Earby. :biggrin2:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm glad to hear that Wendy but we could still do with a good soak overnight! Nothing is suffering at the moment but we are on a knife edge.
Yesterday turned out quite nice later and at 21:00 we had a clear sky, a light breeze and it was dry and cool. This morning the sky is clear, it's dry and again, cooler than of late. The glass is up slightly at a shade under 1017mb. The forecast is for a brighter day with no rain in the forecast. As the last low passes we are getting a NW breeze down the back side of it and so today we have a constant light to moderate NW wind giving us a cooler day, 15C high and 7C low. This will persist through tomorrow but then the temperature starts to rise again.....
06:00. The longest day of the year starts well with a perfectly clear sky and full sun. The only downside is the cool NW wind that has a bit of an edge to it. Cool enough to trigger my 24X7X365 central heating on for a short burst.
One thing I note with regret this morning is that the Linen Shop in what was the Occasion shop at the Newtown end of Church Street is closing down 'due to retirement'. A useful shop and I am sorry we are losing them.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Summer Solstice :sunny3:
Ian
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Just watched the sun set at its most northerly point for this year.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It was a lovely clear day and we got the full benefit of all the daylight on offer! At 21:00 it was clear, dry and cool with a moderate NW wind. First thing this morning still the same and I have just popped my head out, a few wisps of high cloud in the east but nothing to impede the sun yet. The glass is rising as a high pressure system moves in from the west, it's at 1025mb. The forecast is for a day of unbroken sunshine. The wind varies between WSW and WNW all day and is light. The high will be 17C and the low 8C. Another cool day tomorrow but then the temperature starts to rise as the high establishes itself. Get the sun-block out now, don't be fooled by the low temperature!
06:30. A perfect summer morning moderated by that wind..... But no complaints!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Lovely day. At 21:00 it was clear, still sunny and cool in the moderate NW breeze. This morning it is the same but with slightly more high cloud. The glass is steady on a fraction under 1025mb. The forecast is for a dry day starting sunny but then broken cloud for the rest of the day. The wind is a moderate constant westerly tending towards the north which will cool us down a bit, high of 15C and a low of 9C tonight. From tomorrow it starts to warm up and at the moment the prospect is wall to wall sun and highs of 25C all week......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Much later because the internet went AWOL for a couple of hours..... We had a nice walk. There is more cloud than forecast so we haven't had the promised sun. Never mind, we'll get fed up with it in the next few days.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

At 21:00 last night it was almost clear, a light wind and cool but dry. This morning first thing it was reasonably clear but by the time we went out for our walk at 05:15 it was calm with a heavy mist that had come down in the east and was blocking the sun. By the time we got back home the sun was burning it off and as I write we have full sun and a clear sky. I haven't looked at the glass or the forecast yet but all the signs point to a sunny warmer day, in short a perfect summer morning with the swallows flying high.
The glass is down a touch at just above 1021mb. The forecast is for a dry day with full dun. The very light WNW wind will be constant all day and we can look forward to a high of 20C and a low tonight of 10C. The outlook for the next week is for this weather to continue and get warmer.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Bad news for Wendy.... I heard a meteorologist this morning forecasting that June would be the driest since records began..... It's certainly a lovely day out there.... We've just been for a late morning shirtsleeve walk.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Last night it was calm and sunny and a rat was strolling down Railway Street. This morning there is a slight mist to the east but not enough to block the sun which was coming in from dawn onwards, calm and fresh. We've had our walk and it's a perfect morning, some wisps of light high cloud but nothing to obstruct the sun, it looks as though we will have a shade over 16 hours today! The glass is steady on 1022mb. The forecast is simple, wall to wall sun all day. The light wind varies from W to NE during the day swinging through the north. The high is 24C and the low 13C. The outlook is no change for the next few days.
The bad news is that flow in the Butts Beck is only enough to feed the mill race and give a trickle over the Corn Mill Dam. Sorry Wendy........
10:10. It's a perfect summer day. Over 70F already in the shade.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Seasons”