TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Post by Wendyf »

Over 13C at the moment, much warmer than the 8C forecast.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Didn't notice that here Wendy but it was certainly an acceptable day. At 20:00 last night it was calm, quiet and dry. Same this morning first thing with the moon showing through the thin overcast with a halo, just looked out and still the same, very quiet weather. The glass is down a bit on 1020mb. The forecast is a re-run of yesterday, overcast, misty and dry. The constant WSW wind is light and gives a high of 8C and a low of 6C with a 1C wind chill later after a cooler start. Quiet acceptable weather!
06:00. Back after 30 minutes walk. Very pleasant, calm, dry, mild and the cloud is thinning, the moon has lost its halo. This is good weather and is sending Winter along nicely!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I think Colin might need to check the weather station! It certainly felt mild all day but perhaps not that mild. I've just checked Blearaside's station and they are reporting a few degrees lower than ours....
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

At 5.30pm we have dropped to 36 C...after reaching 40C.
I'm not good in the heat, but we have managed well today. Even managed a small Ham and Cheese Croissant for tea.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I can't imagine what it must be like in that heat Maz, I struggle to function if it gets much above 20C.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've been in it Wendy and Maz. I was once in Dubbo and it was well over 40C. Apart from being very uncomfortable it was dangerous. Even the locals were complaining.
I was once in a Greyhound bus in the Mojave Desert which stopped because the air conditioning had broken down. One lady had a thermometer in her handbag and she reported 55C! I can believe it. Luckily the bus was an old one, the windows could be opened (Against company policy!) so we opened all the windows and persuaded the driver to go like hell to the next town. One old lady had to be taken to hospital....
On the whole, give me our Barlick climate!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

It is ok, so long as you keep in the shade, respect the heat, drink lots of water and don't exert yourself too much. So, unlike overseas visitors who think it is a great idea to strip down and spend the day at the beach, we tend to hibernate! And the people at most risk are babies, old people, or those that drink too much alcohol and not enough water! ( think I've had 3 litres of water today.) Having a wine now the sun has passed over, but more water to follow.
As the Aussies say "you just have to use your loaf" ( brain) on days like this.

And I'm told we got to 42C here today by fellow campers...
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I've also had a handful of lightly salted cashews to replace my salt.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

All sensible measures, pity everyone doesn't heed the warnings they have no doubt been given!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

As an aside to that Stanley, we are keeping most foodstuffs in the fridge due to the extreme temperatures. It seems the juice from some Gherkins that I decanted to a small snap lock container have dripped into the cashews. Gave a strange taste to the cashews...but once I sussed what the ingress was...we ate them all the same. :laugh5:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I have never had the occasion to preserve the juice of Gherkins......
Yesterday was quiet fine weather. At 20:00 it was overcast, dry and mild with very little wind. First thing this morning it was the same and hasn't changed. The overcast is thicker, no sign of the moon. The glass never moved yesterday and this morning is up a touch on 1022mb. The forecast is another quiet day, overcast and dry but a chance of a glimpse of the sun early morning. The change is in the wind, still WSW but at times it rises to a moderate breeze giving a high of 9C and a low of 6C with a wind chill of 3 or 4C depending on wind strength. Still quiet weather and helping winter along nicely!
06:30. Again, a very pleasant walk, cool, dry, overcast but far better than snow! Laki at Singh's was late in and Kathy hadn't got going as this is the first day back. But I got the paper and what meat I needed.... Barlick slowly comes back to life!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We've just had our second short walk on the Green and I have come back convinced it's a lot colder out there than the forecast! That wind is bitter.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The day ended cold and breezy, at 20:00 it was like that under a heavy overcast. First thing this morning it was the same but with very light rain in the wind, enough to damp the flags. Just looked out and it's improved, no longer damping and the overcast has thinned enough to allow the crescent moon to be visible. A bonus is that a skein of Canada Geese passed over en route from Gill to Whitemoor. I couldn't see them but I heard them honking to each other, they must have good night vision! [Later at 05:00 we have light rain.] The glass was rising slowly yesterday but this morning has lost ground again, 1021mb. The forecast is for a very similar day to yesterday. Chance of light rain at first but then dry and a bright overcast for the rest of the day. The constant moderate WSW/W wind gives a high of 10C and a low of 5C. The wind chill could be as much as 4C, depending on wind strength. Expect more of the same over the weekend but then coming in colder as we go into January 2019.
06:05. Just before we went out it was raining quite heavily so wet weather gear. However, as soon as we set off it bated and we had a relatively dry walk, Jack doesn't need rubbing down. The wind is brisk but it isn't cold. I think we had a lucky break, I might not have been as happy if the wind had been blowing that rain!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Well I slept with the window on my side of the van open last night, as it was still about 30C and no bedding needed at all. Last thing I saw was stars above as I lay scantily clad, hoping a breeze might spring up. Woke up about 4am as it was raining at an angle and my face was wet as it had come through the window. It was so refreshing and delightful, I didn't close the window but lay there enjoying it. It was still 30C! I was hoping for a good soaking, but it was short lived unfortunately.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Light rain is lovely after a prolonged dry spell. I love the smell of the ground when it happens....
Yesterday was brighter than forecast. At 20:00 we had big clear gaps in the overcast, dry and cool. This morning the flags are damp and the sky is overcast but not actually raining. The glass is up on 1027mb. The forecast is for the rain to cease around now and for a foggy dull day. The constant westerly is moderate and give us 9C for a high and 7C for the low with a 3C wind chill most of the day. Same again tomorrow and then a change to colder weather.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Generally dull and damp yesterday and at 20:00 it was the same. First thing this morning it was cooler, calm and we had light rain from a broken sky, it's the same now but only a hint of rain in the air. The glass hasn't moved, still on 1027mb. The forecast is a re-run of yesterday, dull and overcast all day, no rain forecast but it will never be far away. The constant west wind is moderate and gusty giving a high of 8C and a low of 6C with a wind chill of 3 or 4C all day. This is the last day of this weather, expect a change on New Year's Day as we move into brighter colder weather.
05:40. A pleasant walk on a very quiet morning in the town. The breeze has got up but it's not cold and best of all, it's dry. The cloud appears to be breaking but no sight of the moon or stars. As usual, Butts was a micro-climate, it's really sheltered in Valley Gardens and Butts itself.
Something I noted two days ago but keep for getting to mention is that the old Majestic Discounts shop has had a makeover over the holiday. The windows are now frosted with a symbolic figure on like the 'Lightning Bolt'. My guess is that we are about to get a town centre gym.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A dull cold day yesterday. At 20:00 it was breezy, cold and dry under broken cloud. Fisrt thing this morning there had been a recent very light shower, breezy, cold and 100% overcast. Just looked outside and we have very light rain. The glass is still rock steady on 1027mb. The forecast is for the sky to clear after a bit of fog and then clear skies all day with full sun in the daylight hours. The light west wind soon gives way to a fresh northerly which persists for the rest of the day giving a high of 7C and a low of -2C tonight with a 2 or 3C wind chill all day. Much colder and this is the picture for the next few days, cold but no rain.
06:00. Back from a very acceptable walk. It's breezy, cool and overcast but dry (It was raining half an hour before we set off). Very quiet as could be expected on New Years's Day.
One sad sight, if anyone is on Facebook could they please post that a stray dog was seen on Town Green this morning at 05:30. Too dark to identify it but the impression I got was of a Bedlington/Spaniel cross? It was frightened, wouldn't come to me and when I whistled it ran away. Very likely frightened by fireworks last night? Someone is worrying about it somewhere.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A good change yesterday, colder as the day wore on but clear skies. At 20:00 it was clear, calm and cold. First thing this morning it was the same and I think we have a frost. I have just had another look, definitely colder but we now seem to have some overcast. The glass is well up on to the highest reading I can remember, 1040mb. The forecast is for this overcast to clear by daybreak and then a clear day with more sun. The wind starts as a westerly until 18:00 when it swings into the east. Very light all day and we can expect a high of 3C and a low of -3C tonight. There will be a 2C wind chill all day, we shall not feel to be above freezing. So a dry frosty day.
06:00. A good walk, overcast but dry, calm and frosty. A complete change of weather and the wind change tonight could be a harbinger of things to come. Remember the Beast from the East?
January 2 appears to be the day for starting work, more cars and people about.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

41C tomorrow. A very early walk, then home in the cool with blinds down on the sunny side of the house. Quiet pursuits, possibly some sewing. Cold salads for tea. Lots of water....
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You'd love a spell with us today Maz! Frost all day and with a bit of luck, some sun. Good day for the walkers!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I would indeed! The more bracing, the better! I would be so pleased to arrive home with my ears and nose tingling. Instead we arrive home, sweaty, having to guzzle a tall glass of water!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Today would suit you as well Maz.
Yesterday was a good day as long as you wrapped up well. At 20:00 it was overcast, almost calm, dry and cold. First thing this morning it was the same. I've just looked outside and it's still the same. The glass is almost unchanged on 1039, a very high value. The forecast is for the overcast to clear in the next hour and for the rest of the day to be clear with full sun. The wind is almost non-existent and very variable. The high will be 1C and the low -4C tonight. There will be a slight wind chill all day. This is typical high pressure weather and there is no sign of a change. Wrap up warm and go walking!
06:20. A lovely winter walk, dry, calm and cold and the overcast isn't clearing yet but dry underfoot and a wonderful morning for Jack. It strikes me that it's a good morning for Dennis and Sparky, I hope so!
Lights and activity in the old Majestic Discounts this morning. It's a gym and here's a link to the web site (K L Fitness)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Dennis & Sparky like it cold and dry at this time of year, they don't need rugs on and can have a good roll!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Lovely! I shall have that image in mind all day.
An old horseman once told me that the reason why horses roll (apart from scratching their backs) was that it is a way they use to 'straighten their rops out'. (Rops = intestines) He said that after heavy pulling they needed to do that and I have seen a horse rolled by the vet to try to move a blockage in the gut.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

That's interesting Stanley, they certainly roll when they are suffering from colic to try and sort it themselves. If they are inside a stable that can be dangerous.

Return to “Seasons”