TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Cathy
VIP Member

Re: TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Post by Cathy »

Adelaide is on Code Red due to searing heat of 42C. We have the Tour Down Under doing their 5 days of cycling at the moment (15th-20th). What a day to start, poor buggers.
It's hotter inland with one town (Pt.Augusta) recording 50C today. There's no relief in sight for SA. :sunny:
I won't actually send you all any of this sunshine....I wouldn't be very popular :smile:
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You're right there Cathy. I have experienced +50C at times and it was not comfortable. We have about 7C with a 4C wind chill and dry, good as long as you are dressed for it! The trouble with super hot weather is that you can't modify it with dress!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Decent day yesterday if you ignored the light showers but today it's all change. At 20:00 we had light rain. First thing this morning it was calm, overcast mild and dry, we have light rain now. The glass is down sharply at just above 995mb. The forecast is for a very mixed day, light rain at any time and heavier rain from 08:00 to 12:00 with perhaps some sunny spells this afternoon. The constant W or WSW wind is moderate and gives a high of 7C early in the day but rapidly falling with -1C tonight with a 3 or 4C wind chill. The outlook for the next few days is for continuing much colder weather.
05:55. We were lucky, our walk was mild, breezy and dry because the light rain stopped as we went out.
All the emitters and Xmas trees are gone now and the beds in the Town Square are planted with bulbs.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Rain on off yesterday but sky clearing in the afternoon and the wind was more northerly than forecast, much colder. At 20:00 last night it was overcast, dry, breezy and colder. This morning we have very thin overcast, it's calm dry and colder, could be a frost later. The glass rose slowly all day yesterday and this morning is on a shade over 1001mb. The forecast is for the overcast to clear shortly and then it will be clear and sunny all day, cloud coming in again later tonight. The wind starts as a moderate NW and during the day decreases and eventually settles in the west. The high is 2C and the low tonight -3C with a constant 2C wind chill. This is the pattern for the next few days with the possibility of some light snow on Tuesday. Wrap up warm and enjoy this good winter weather!
06:00. A bracing walk. The sky is clearing rapidly and if you are in the wind it's cold enough to make your face ache. One very cheerful sign is that for the first time this winter there was enough light to walk up the inside (unlit) path though Valley Gardens. The days are lengthening very noticeably.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A cold bright day yesterday and lighter at night. At 20:00 it was calm, overcast and very cold. First thing this morning it was the same and as yet there is no change. The glass is up on 1011mb. The forecast is for bright overcast and dry until mid-afternoon when we can expect rain, it's cold enough for this to fall as sleet or snow. The wind is light to moderate SE, strengthening as the weather changes this afternoon. We can expect a high of 3C and a low of 1C but there will be a significant wind chill varying with the strength of the wind which means it will always feel below freezing, as low as -4C. Wrap up warm!
06:45. Back from the butcher's after another bracing walk! Overcast, light wind, frost and dry. I did my Mother Russia bit and used my Damart balaclava under a thick Jacob's wool hat, not overkill but sensible, my head and ears were toasty! (I did see one bloke in shorts.....)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Had a bit of snow, over here in Chorley, at lunchtime but soon turned to rain.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It started sleeting at about 14:30 but turned to light cold rain on and off for the rest of the day. At 20:00 it was almost calm, overcast, not freezing and damp but not raining. First thing this morning the flags are dry, overcast, no frost. The glass is down a bit on 1003mb. The forecast is dead easy, heavy overcast and murky all day with the chance of a light shower at any time. The constant light East wind gives us a high of 3C and a low of 2C with a 3C wind chill all day.
06:00. The keywords this morning are calm and quiet. A very acceptable walk, heavy overcast but calm, no frost and dry. Enough light in the overcast to make a walk up the unlit inside path in Valley Gardens, the year is turning! I keep forgetting to mention that the estate agent that opened in Newtown late last year has evidently given up the struggle, the shop is empty again.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

The estate agent on Newtown moved to Frank Street.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Ah! Thanks for that Kev, I hadn't noticed the move.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 19 Jan 2019, 07:10 Ah! Thanks for that Kev, I hadn't noticed the move.
THere was a post in Barnoldswick Talk, on Facebook. I think they're next to Purcells :good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Dull and damp yesterday but we never got wet. At 20:00 it was overcast, light breeze and damp but not raining. This morning first thing light rain had just started, I've just looked out and it has persisted but very light. The glass has risen during the night to 1009mb. The forecast is for the rain to cease, then a bit of fog followed by a bright overcast that could break at times and give a glimpse of the sun, dry all day. The constant light wind starts in the SE but during the morning backs to become a NW wind for the rest of the day. The high will be 4C and the low -2C tonight, there will be a 2 or 3C wind chill all day. Nothing exciting but that's OK, winter is going very nicely!
05:50. The fog they forecast has turned out to be a continuous light mizzle, cold enough to make your breath steam. What my Irish friends would call 'drimmy'. Not particularly cheerful but I have seen a lot worse in January!
The new gym in Albert Road seems to leave the repetitious drum beat on 24 hours a day. Not sure what the purpose of that is......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Stanley wrote: 20 Jan 2019, 04:32 The new gym in Albert Road seems to leave the repetitious drum beat on 24 hours a day. Not sure what the purpose of that is......
Is it a 24 hour Gym, many are to cater for shift workers etc. The drum beat will be to help keep a constant cadence on the spinning (cycle) machines and other repetitious exercises.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It plays even when the lights are off.......
Yesterday was dry once the fog/mizzle had cleared. At 20:00 it was clear dry and colder. First thing this morning it was calm, dry and cold with a big brilliant moon that was just starting to darken as the total eclipse started, just had a look and the sky is still perfectly clear. The eclipse is well under way, only a sliver of moon left showing. The glass is up at a shade over 1019mb. The forecast is for an overcast day (the cloud is just starting to come in but at the moment it's clear) that will be dry until late evening when rain will come in. The wind is light and southerly, it will increase to moderate as the day goes on giving a high of 4C and a low of 0C. The wind chill is light at the moment, 1C, but as the wind increases it will rise until late tonight it is -5C and this could mean that the late rain falls as snow on higher ground.
05:45. Possibly the perfect winter walk.... Calm, dry, cold, we have a frost and pavements are slippy. Best of all, the forecast was wrong, it's still perfectly clear and on our way round I have had a perfect sight of the blood moon slowly brightening again as the total eclipse ends. So I have seen it from it being fully bright first thing, right through the eclipse. Funny thing is that the brighter it is the bigger it looks. It shrank during the obscurity. First time in 83 years that I have had such a perfect view and they say it will be the last for me so I feel very lucky.
Later at 07:30. Just been for some shopping, still freezing and the moon is back to normal and sinking down to set in the NW.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Overall the day was dry and cold as forecast. At 20:00 it was breezy, cold but still dry under an overcast sky. First thing this morning it was cold, we had a light breeze and steady light sleet. It hasn't changed. The glass bombed from late afternoon onwards and this morning is down on 995mb and still falling like a stone, not a good sign! (Mind you, looking on the bright side, the faster it falls the faster it recovers usually, it's a sign that the system causing the weather is moving fast.) The forecast is for a nasty day, snow and sleet at any time but occasional breaks in the cloud letting a patch of sun in in the middle of the day. The constant west wind is moderate, the high will be 2C and the low -4C tonight. The wind chill starts off as 2C but later today will be 4C. I think we can safely say that today is wintry and the outlook for the next couple of days is similar.
05:30. Early start and we have had an acceptable walk under a clear sky with a brilliant full moon, so bright the inside, unlit path in Valley Gardens was no problem. The sleet has temporarily stopped and since I got up a frost has developed, Ice on cars and exposed wet surfaces are icing over. I suspect a lot of the salt will have leached off the roads and I don't think they have gritted yet this morning so if you're on the road early, be aware and careful. I think there may be some very slippy pavements in a couple of hours so again, be careful!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

2C , can't imagine it at the moment. Stay warm everyone.
SA is in the grip of another serious heatwave, I think I must have missed the in-between bit because we haven't had much relief.
37C today, 39C for Wednesday and we have been told to take care and prepare for "A Horror Day" of 45C or higher on Thursday!!
No rains been had since Dec 19th so I worry about fires in our Adelaide Hills.
Our night-time temps will be 25, 31 and 26C.
I only have 3 strategies - get any groceries needed on Wednesday, and on Thursday wear wet clothes and sit under an air-conditioning vent, and drink enough water.
Wish us and our State Emergency Services lots of good luck.
Stay warm everyone, just not this warm.... :cool4:
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks Cathy. It's nasty underfoot, slushy and on the verge of freezing. Slight thaw on at the moment but that will reverse in mid afternoon when it starts to get colder leading to possibly -4C tonight.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I made it there and back to the dentists this morning, odd bits of freeing slush still on the pavements but no dramas even with a 90% efficient right leg. :extrawink: :biggrin2:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It was freezing hard when Margaret was driving me back from Airedale at 18:00 last night but she's a good driver..... At 20:00 it was very cold and clear. First thing this morning, dry, freezing hard and a few flakes of snow on top of the gate. Just looked out and it's dry, a brilliant moon and clearing cloud. Very cold. The glass is steady on a shade over 993mb. The forecast is for the day to be bright, clear and sunny. The constant mainly NW wind is very light and the high will be 1C and the low -4C. The significant wind chill will take us to below -7C. It will freeze all day.
05:45. Clear sky, brilliant moon and a hard frost. There's been a light sprinkling of snow at some time during the night. A nice walk, taken at a slow pace because I am not feeling like Spring Heeled Jack this morning. But that was good because wherever the surfaces were wet they are shot ice.
What I noticed was that there has been some serious tree-felling in Valley Gardens. Some big trees taken out.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Cold and bright yesterday and at 20:00 the sky was clear and we had a hard frost. First thing this morning it was overcast and we had just had a light snow shower. I've just looked outside and it is still the same but might have warmed up a bit and there is almost a hint of light rain in the air. The glass is up at 1003mb. The forecast is for an overcast day, dry and the chance of a glimpse of the sun in late morning. The mainly WSW wind will be constant and light giving a high of 3C and a low of 2C with a 2C wind chill all day. There is an ice warning and I may curtail my early morning walk as I expect it to be very treacherous underfoot. A circumnavigation of the Green could be the safest alternative.
06:00. I was right about the conditions under foot, it is very treacherous, the light snow shower stuck on untreated surfaces and it has ice under it because the ground is still frozen of course. So I minced down to the Green and walked round it with jack loose. He met a couple of his mates and he has had his sausage so he is feeling no pain. As for the weather.... calm, the overcast is thin and broken in parts, I saw the moon a couple of times. This is the start of a milder spell of weather that is going to come in from the Atlantic so It's worth putting up with a bad morning for walking.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

46 C and climbing here! My garden has frizzled. Every flower I had has died...
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Hard luck Cathy, I think we are better off with the ice!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

It was Maz. The cold has numbed your brain again. Poor Caz is probably laying down with a wet cloth on her head...
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sorry love, senior moment.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

That's ok. My brain has boiled. We got to 47 C.
Cool change expected overnight and we see 27 C tomorrow as we wake to our dead garden...
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Sounds awful Maz, even your cooler day would be too much for me. Don't start gardening!

Return to “Seasons”