Global Moderator

Re: TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Post by Stanley »

:good:
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Well now I know what 47.7C (118F) feels like, and it ain't very nice!!
I've spent the day under the cooler and looking after my cat and the birds in my garden. I've been nipping out every couple of hours to keep up the water for the birds (and lizard), some of the birds have been struggling. Haven't heard or seen a squabble amongst them all day.
One of our suburban pubs said that if the temp went over 45C ,he would give away free Schooners, and he has.
They say it has been the hottest day ever experienced in an Australian city. (??)
Goodness knows how families, workers and the elderly have managed ? A lot of the elderly are checked on, but even so.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

We are having cold baths before bed tonight.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The very idea appals me!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A dull day yesterday but nice to see all the ice gone by afternoon. At 20:00 it was overcast, calm and dry, much milder. First thing this morning it was overcast and calm and we had a recent light shower of rain, just looked out and it is the same, very light rain on what wind there is. The glass started rising yesterday and this morning has fallen back a touch to 1005mb. The forecast is for a damp, foggy and generally murky day with rain perhaps coming in late tonight. The wind is a constant moderate westerly all day giving a high of 8C and a low of 6C, much milder. There will be a -3C wind chill all day. Not very cheerful but better than ice!
The saving grace for me is that the days are noticeably lengthening. Look on the bright side!
05:50. A damp but pleasant walk, calm, no rain and it is very mild. Much better than yesterday and of course we did the usual full walk though Valley Gardens. Things could be a lot worse!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Wet yesterday but mild. At 20:00 we still had light rain on a west wind. First thing this morning, overcast, mild and light intermittent rain, still the same.... The glass is down on 1000mb and there are a lot of gales in the Shipping Bulletin. Our forecast is for an overcast day with rain at any time. The constant moderate westerly wind is mild and gives a high of 8C and a low of 1C with a wind chill between 3 and 5C all day so it will feel cold. The outlook is brighter and colder for the next five days.
06:05. We escaped rain apart from a bit blowing on the wind. The wind is cold but on the whole it's a very acceptable morning for mid-winter. They're forecasting wind tomorrow.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It was a wet day and the wind was strong enough to make it feel cold. At 20:00 it was overcast, breezy and dry. First thing this morning it was overcast and we had light rain, just looked out and it is dry now but much cooler. The glass glass has fallen sharply to a shade over 981mb and is starting to rise, I think it might have been lower during the night. The forecast is for an overcast day but mainly dry. The real story is that the wind has changed and strengthened, we have a constant NW wind gusting to 40mph at times giving us a high of 4C and a low of -2C but with a wind chill of as much as -6C at times. It looks like a hard frost tonight and there is an ice warning on any untreated surfaces this morning. A bit of winter!
05:50. We're back after a bracing walk under ragged breaking cloud which gave an occasional glimpse of the half moon. We have a stiff NW wind and walking into it, it is butter! I was fully protected with a North face fleece under the Crombie, all on top of a tee shirt, Damart double force vest and a shirt. I had my Damart balaclava on under my Kromer Blizzard hat. Once again I looked like Mother Russia but I don't care, my ears are warm! If you're out in it today wrap up warm! (It'll be fierce up at Wendy's.....)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I got up at about four am to switch the wind turbine off because the wind was getting quite strong, but it eased off again once I got back to bed. It will be cold today, we have no defence against a north westerly!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That's what I thought, you are wide open to it. It will get gusty......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It was gusty and bitter cold. at 20:00 it was still windy, dry and cold. First thing this morning the sky was clear, bright stars, calmer and cold, just looked out and it's the same with a brilliant moon heading down to set in the south. The glass is up at a shade over 996mb. The forecast is for a clear bright day with good sun. The constant West or NW wind is light to moderate giving a high of 3C and a low of 0C with a -3C wind chill all day. The outlook is even colder with a chance of some snow tomorrow.
05:55. Clear sky, dry and a sharp frost. Good underfoot because it's dry and the ground crunches underfoot this morning. The light wind is enough to hurt your ears but on the whole a good morning.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was cold bright and dry as per the forecast. At 20:00 it was overcast, dry and cold with a good breeze. First thing this morning we had very light rain, it's very cold. I've just had a look and it's still the same but not actually raining at the moment. The glass rose slightly but this morning has slipped back to a shade under 996mb. The forecast is for an overcast day with snow and ice possible at any time during daylight hours. The wind is moderate SW/West giving a high of 1C and a low of -3C. There will be a 3 or 4C wind chill all day. Looks like a winter's day!
04:55. That's right! I went out an hour earlier than usual on the grounds it had started freezing after the rain and it was going to be treacherous walking. I was right, it was bad enough now but in a couple of hours it will be deadly because the frost is increasingly getting a grip. As far as I can see there has been no gritting yet. The message is be very careful out there because it could be icy anywhere particularly on minor roads. If it snows it will get even worse, as yet there is nothing falling from the light overcast. I'm glad to be back safely in the warm!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Intermittent snow all day as per the forecast. At 20:00 it was breezy and cold but dry. This morning first thing we had a clear sky and a hard frost, we still have the frost but it looks as though some overcast has come in. The glass fell slowly all day yesterday and during the night, it's still falling slowly and is on a shade under 987mb, not a good sign in a frost. The forecast is for a mainly dry bright day with a chance of early snow but we have seen none as yet. The light to moderate wind is mostly westerly varying between NW and SW all day. The high is 1C and the low -3C. There will be a 3 or 4C wind chill all day, in effect frost all day. Warnings of ice and the outlook is for similar weather for the foreseeable future.
05:15. The forecast was correct! Steady heavy snow as we set off, it lightened a bit but is still falling now. I put me wellies on with thick socks and my waterproof hoodie complete with the Damart balaclava, looks like overkill but warm dry ears so who cares! Besides, there was nobody about apart from a lone man at the bus stop, he must have misread the timetable.... We didn't do our usual walk but a circumnavigation of the Green so Jack could run loose for twenty minutes. He was very quickly a white dog but shook the snow off as it accumulated on his back. The treated roads are almost staying clear but the pavements and untreated roads are treacherous so watch your step if you have to venture out. The advantage of the Green is that it is sound footing on the grass. It's winter!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

About 1C this morning in Taunton, the pond frozen, the ground icy, frosty and some evidence of there having been sleet. Heavy snow is forecast for us tomorrow. Never mind, it's not as bad as Chicago! :smile:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The snow cleared away nicely yesterday. From the news reports the rest of the country was in melt-down after a fall of 3". At 20:00 we had clearing skies a light East wind and it was cold. First thing this morning it was calm, overcast, misty and cold but dry with a hard frost, just looked out and there is no change. The glass is slightly higher at 988mb. The forecast is for a dry day starting overcast bit the cloud breaking to give some sun this morning. The wind is easterly starting light but increasing to moderate later. It will be below freezing all day with a high of -1C and a low of -2C. The wind chill will vary with wind strength, never less than -2C and getting up to -5C later. Perceived temperatures will be as low as -7C all day. The outlook is for a couple of days of similar weather than warming very slightly as we get into February.
05:45. We've had our normal walk, the pavements were acceptable largely due to the fact that the Council (Not sure which one!) did a good job yesterday salting the Pioneer Car park and even paths like Valley Gardens and Butts. It made a massive difference. As for the weather, still calm, misty and a hard frost. I did my Mother Russia bit and am back home with warm ears and fingers. Things are OK on the last day of January.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Low cloud and hard frost on Ilkley Moor! At 20:00 it was calm, overcast and cold. First thing this morning it was the same with a hard frost, since then light fine snow has started to fall but I don't expect a lot. The glass is down slightly at 986mb. The forecast is for an overcast day with snow about now but then nothing apart from an occasional flurry all day. The overcast may let in a bit of sun at times. The wind is out of the north all day and varies from light to moderate. The high will be 2C and the low -4C. The wind chill will vary with wind strength, never less than -3C and as much as -5C during the day. The result is that it's -6C now and will never feel better than -3C. Definitely a wintry day and the outlook is similar.
06:30. A very acceptable walk. Calm, overcast and very cold with an occasional flake of snow. The Green was rock hard underfoot. As we neared home it started snowing more heavily but that soon stopped. It looks as though the south is going to get it so expect the news to be full of it as 3" paralyses 'the country'.
The pavements are good because the Town Council has set on the contractor that looks after the hanging baskets and he has put a quad bike with a salt spreader on to the pavements and it has made an enormous difference. Nice to be back in the warm!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

At 20:00 last night the sky was mostly clear, it was calm and we had a hard frost. First thing this morning it was the same and we have just had our walk, it hasn't changed. Mother Russia look again but who cares, I got back with warm ears! I quite enjoyed the walk, quiet and pleasant if you are dressed for the cold. It's still mostly clear. The glass is well up on 1000mb. The forecast is for a clear cold day with plenty of sun. The wind is mainly NW but later tonight it settles into the west. It starts as a very light breeze and during the day strengthens to moderate and then calms again as it comes dark. The high is 2C and the low -4C, there will be a windchill all day that gets to -4C, look for a low tonight of over -6C. We are lucky again, it's a very acceptable mid-winter day! All you have to do is wrap up warm!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was a perfect winter day, cold but plenty of low sun with the odd flake of snow in the morning, frost all day. At 20:00 the sky was clearing and we had a hard frost. First thing this morning the sky was clear and it was calm with a frost, as is so often the case it has clouded over since. The glass is up again at 1015mb. The forecast is for the overcast to be broken with some sun until cloud and rain comes in this afternoon and evening. The constant SSW wind will start light and increase to a brisk moderate breeze later on. The high is 4C and 3C tonight however at the moment with a -2C wind chill it is -6C, the wind chill will rise as the wind strengthens and will reach -4C which means that the perceived temperature will be below freezing all day.
06:00. A Mother Russia walk on a very cold morning but warm ears, I'll believe the forecast -6C! Some gaps in the overcast allowed stars to peep through. This is not bad weather for mid-winter! We start to warm up during the night and it's warmer still tomorrow......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Just popped outside after my sleep and we have light rain starting.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Got the sledging expedition in just in time then. :extrawink: :smile:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The light rain yesterday afternoon was the signal for the change in weather. It was raining at 20:00 and first thing this morning as well. The glass has fallen to 1005mb. The forecast is for the rain to cease in the next couple of hours and then a dry day with broken cloud and some sun. The constant moderate west wind gives a high of 6C and a low of -1C. The wind chill starts at -6C and ends at -2C. The outlook is for similar, even warmer, weather for a few days.
06:00. The forecast was right, the rain was very light when we went out and since then has ceased. What there was was very cold! I notice that the glass is still falling. The beck in Butts shows that there has been quite a lot of rain during the night.
Later..... we have the sunny spells but it is raw out there!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Apart from a light shower in the afternoon yesterday's forecast was accurate. Last night at 20:00 we had broken cloud, a light breeze and it was cold. Same this morning first thing, it's calm now. We have a mist but no frost. The glass is up on 1017mb. The forecast is for it to clear by 09:00 then a spell of bright weather but rain comes in after 14:00 for the rest of the day. The wind is a light southerly that strengthens to a gusty moderate breeze after dinner bringing the rain in. The high is 8C and the low 4C, it could rise to 9C late tonight but with a significant wind chill of as much as -5C in the wind. Much warmer than of late and the outlook is for similar temperatures.
05:55. An acceptable walk on a calm, cool and very misty morning. That's about the size of it. I don't think it's the sort of mist that Wendy can survey as she basks in full sun, it feels more like low cloud.....The forecast says it will clear in the next couple of hours.
07:00. Just been out for a bit of shopping and we have a clear sky, the mist is retreating towards the east I think....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday's forecast was accurate, bright in the morning and at 15:00 in Keighley heavy rain came in. At 20:00 it was breezy, cool and dry. First thing this morning we had a light shower but the could was broken and it was slight. We have had our walk and it is still dry and cool with a moderate breeze and broken cloud, a lot of stars visible. The glass is down a bit at 1011mb. The forecast is for a bright day with sun and no rain. The constant moderate S/SW wind will give a high of 7C and a low of 3C with a -3C wind chill all day so wrap up warm.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We had a bright dry day until late afternoon, at 20:00 there was light rain. This morning first thing it was raining heavily but calm and mild. We have had our walk and by the time we went out at 05:20 the rain had stopped.It was calm, mild and overcast, there is a heavy flow in Butts Beck. The Shipping Forecast is giving a lot of gales...... The glass is down with a bang at 986mb, not a good sign! The forecast is for rain at any time until 13:00 and then brightening up a bit. The wind is changing as I write from east to west and will be moderate with gusts all day. The high will be 5C and the low 4C with the wind chill settling down to -4C in the latter part of the day so it will feel cold if you are out in it. Tomorrow expect a warm, wet and windy day.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Intermittent showers yesterday but we managed to dodge them. At 20:00 last night we had light rain and it was mild. First thing this morning it was still mild and raining heavily, at the moment it has stopped. The glass rose slightly yesterday but this morning has fallen back to 988mb. The forecast is for continuous rain until early afternoon and then brightening up. The constant strong and gusty SW wind will give a high of 9C and a low of 3C with a windchill of as much as -6C later on after a more moderate -3C earlier on. Slightly cooler tomorrow but a stronger wind.....
The Shipping Forecast gives gales in all areas........
06:45. We are back after a very lucky walk. I say lucky because it stopped raining as we went out and started again as we got back home. Not taking any chances I had my waterproof hoody on anyway! The wind is getting up and the combination of strong wind and heavy rain will make life miserable for anyone who has to be out in it. I shall be avoiding it as much as possible.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The rain had moved through by early afternoon and we had some sun but still a strong gusty wind. At 20:00 last night it was dry but very mild and windy. First thing this morning the wind was stronger and it was just starting to rain at 3AM. At the moment the wind is more violent and we have heavy driving rain. The glass is very low on a shade above 974mb. The forecast is for heavy rain until about 9AM and then clearer skies with some sun and occasional light showers for the rest of the day. The constant WSW wind is the story today. At the moment it's very violent gusting to 60mph with heavy rain. It will slowly moderate all day but still be strong and gusty this evening. The high is 6C and the low 2C but with a wind chill varying from -6C at the moment to -4C later tonight. This is as bad a wind as I have seen for a while and.... I was about to say that the lights were flickering when we had a drop out and I had to restart the FM. Luckily Firefox remembered where we were!
I did a quick submit to make sure we had posted and all seems OK.
In the next five minutes it dropped out twice. This is the worst wind for a while, I can't remember anything like this ever.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Seasons”