TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday followed the forecast, Light rain came in just before 10:00 and persisted on and off until 16:00 when the sun came out. At 20:30 it was bright overcast, calm and dry. Same this morning first thing except that there had been a recent very light shower. We have 100% light overcast now and it is dry. The glass is up on 1024mb and rising still. The forecast is for a dry and brighter day with more sun. The constant moderate ENE wind gives us a high of 17C and a low of 8C tonight with a wind chill of -2C for most of the day. Looks like an improvement and warming up nicely until Sunday when it may cool a bit.
06:05. A pleasant walk on a dry calm morning. Still no sun but we shall see.....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The sun was mainly absent yesterday but at 20:30 the sky was clearing but milky and it was dry. First thing this morning it looked the same but now it is clearing and despite some cloud in the east low sun is coming in already, clear enough now for the crescent waning moon to be visible despite the daylight. The glass is up at 1028mb and still rising. The forecast is for a dry day with full sun. The constant moderate east wind allows a high of 20C and a low of 10C with a -2C wind chill for most of the day. The first day of three good ones according to the outlook.
05:50. A pleasant walk on a clear, fresh morning with early low sun and a heavy dew. It all looks set for a good day. The sun is noticeably lower early in the morning as we slide downhill from the Solstice. I always think it's so unfair that the sun starts to desert us when we can expect better weather! But nowt I can do about that!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Lovely summers day yesterday. At 20:30 it was breezy but mild and dry under an almost clear sky. This morning first thing it was fresh, a light breeze and dry with broken cloud. Just looked out and it hasn't changed, enough light overcast to block out dawn light in the east but doubtless this will burn off. The glass is down slightly on 1025mb. The forecast is for cloud to persist until 09:00 and them burn off to give a sunny day. The constant moderate E/ESE wind gives a high of 20C and a low of 12C tonight with a wind chill starting at -2C and increasing to -3C later in the sunshine. Tomorrow is expected to be a hotter day and then the west wind comes in on Sunday but no forecast of rain until Monday. No complaints!
06:40. Back from the butcher's. It's a bit beyond fresh, actually chilly but I have no doubt the overcast will burn off shortly. Still looking forward to a nice sunny day.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday's weather was good but a feature of it was that the sky was never totally clear but remained 'milky' all day. It was the same at 20:30, mild, calm and dry. This morning first thing it was also the same, thin overcast, calm and mild. We've just had our walk and the sky is the same with mist in the east, thick enough to block the sun so far but I am sure it will burn off. The only thing of note on our walk is that the auction signs are up on the old Gisburn Road nursery section. (Earlier of course the school kitchen).
The glass is down on 1014mb and still falling. The forecast is for a dry sunny day. The light to moderate wind starts in the east but by noon it starts to back through south until by evening it will be westerly. The high will be 26C and the low 13C with negligible wind chill. The west wind and Atlantic weather show their hand tomorrow, the temperature will fall by 10C with the chance of a light shower late in the evening. But that's tomorrow, today we can have Barlick summer!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Milky sky again yesterday but very warm and close. At 20:30 it was light overcast and mild with a very gentle westerly breeze. Same this morning first thing and the only change since is that the breeze is slightly stronger now and the overcast quite heavy. The glass is down significantly on 1006mb. The forecast is for a cloudy day with hardly any sun but dry. The constant WSW wind is moderate and gives a high of 17C and a low of 12C. The wind chill will increase from -1C at the moment to as much as -4C by this evening. Much cooler than yesterday and the outlook is even cooler tomorrow. Our little foray into summer is over for a while!
06:25. A quiet walk on an overcast morning with a significant wind from the west. Despite the dry forecast there is a hint of imminent rain in the air, it wouldn't surprise me if there was a light shower. But on the whole a very acceptable walk on the last day of June.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We never had any rain yesterday and at times there was a brief interval of sun as a clear patch scudded over the town, 10C cooler than the day before. At 20:30 we had a light westerly breeze, broken cloud and it was dry. Same thing this morning with an occasional star peeping through, It hasn't changed. The glass rose a bit during the day but has not shifted again during the night, steady on 1009mb. The forecast is for rain to come in soon and persist until midday after which it will be dry but overcast. The constant west wind backs to WNW as the rain stops and is moderate all day giving a high of 15C and a low of 9C with a constant -3C wind chill all day. Not the most cheerful weather and no change in the foreseeable outlook.
06:05.A cool walk on an overcast morning with a significant breeze. It looked like rain and it felt like rain but we saw nothing until a light spatter in Butts but no more than that. I have little doubt more significant rain will follow.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The rain was fleeting and slight yesterday, on the whole a very acceptable day. At 20:30 it was dry and mild under an overcast sky with a light west wind. This morning first thing it was clear and fresh and it hasn't changed. The glass was rising slowly all day yesterday and is still rising. It's almost on 1021mb. The forecast is for a mainly dry day with good sunny spells, chance of a shower late morning. The constant westerly wind starts light and gradually increases during the day to moderate. The high will be 16C and the low 8C with a chill starting at -1C and getting up to -3C as the wind strengthens. The outlook is for similar weather, dry and bright but not hot.
05:35. Back from a pleasant walk on a fresh calm morning. Early sun came in at 05:00 as soon as it rose over the horizon lighting the trees in Valley Gardens beautifully from underneath. However, even then there was scattered cloud coming in from the west and half an hour later it is blocking the sun. This could be par for the course today.... But, no complaints! It is good weather!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good day yesterday. Last night it was calm, mild and dry at 20:30. Clear sky this morning and dry, fresh feel to the air. Glass up slightly at 1023mb. Forecast is for a dry sunny day. The wind is light and variable, settles as WNW later. High of 18C and low of 10C with negligible wind chill....
05:20. Just a short walk on the Green to get a lungful of fresh air and empty Jack. Fresh, calm clear and full sun, lovely morning.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It was a lovely day and warmer than forecast I suspect. At 20:30 it was calm, mild clear and dry. Same first thing this morning but of course cooler. The glass is steady on just below 1203mb The forecast is for slightly more cloud but on the whole another good day. The constant westerly wind starts light and increases slightly during the day giving a high of 17C and a low of 12C tonight with a slight wind chill but as it doesn't include any WNW today I think we shall still have a warm day.
05:50. Normal Valley Gardens walk this morning on a mild morning with a light west wind and enough cloud to block the sun at the moment. Bot nevertheless a pleasant walk on a promising morning.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Another nice day yesterday and at 20:30 it was still pleasant and light. First thing this morning it was mild and dry with broken cloud. Still the same, light showing in the east through breaks in the cloud but no direct sun yet. The glass is down on 1011MB. The forecast is for a bright overcast day with rare spells of sun. The constant moderate west wind gives a high of 17C and a low of 13C tonight with a slight wind chill depending on wind strength. Very quiet weather, not hot but acceptable. No change in sight.
06:30. Back from a tiring but pleasant walk under cloud that was breaking but no sun. This could be the story of the day but once again, no complaints!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was another pleasant day, lots of sun in the afternoon. At 20:30 we had a light breeze, broken cloud and it was mild. First thing this morning it was the same but now it has just started raining lightly. The glass is down on 1008mb and still falling slowly. The forecast is for a showery morning until about 10:00 and then clearing to give sun for the rest of the day. The constant west wind is lighter than yesterday giving a high of 19C and a low of 11C with a very slight wind chill all day. Not high summer but good growing weather and quite acceptable thank you!
05:20. Back from our early walk and yes, you are right! I have brought our routines forward this morning to give me enough time to get a sleep in before my gusts arrive. I want to enjoy them, not crash on them!
It's almost calm, 100% heavy overcast (and getting thicker!) light rain and an angry dawn struggling with the cloud as it arrives in the East. I think the rain is increasing...
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Another good day and very balmy in the afternoon.... At 20:30 it was bright mild and calm. First thing this morning it was the same with well broken cloud. Still the same but the overcast is a bit more solid, 55F in old money in the back yard. The glass is up a bit at 1012mb. The forecast is basically the same as yesterday with a vague indication of light showers early evening. I expect it to be the same as yesterday as that seems to be the current pattern. The constant westerly wind will be light giving a high of 17C and a low of 9C tonight with negligible wind chill. Nowt to complain about!
06:15. Back from a relaxed stroll round the town. The overcast in the east is heavy enough to block the sun completely but to the south and west there are significant clear patches moving slowly in as it is almost calm. There is hope for the sun yet!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was a bit cloudier and slightly cooler but the more temperate wind helped and it was a nice day. At 20:30 it was overcast but calm and mild, I never saw any of the promised rain. First thing this morning we had broken cloud, calm and mild. It is still the same and dawn light is breaking through the gaps in the east. The glass rose slowly all day yesterday and is still doing so, it is on 1016mb. The forecast is for a dry day with bright overcast and some sun, much the same as yesterdays which improved as the day went on. The constant light wind is easterly today giving a high of 17C and a low of 12C tonight with even less wind chill than yesterday. Looks like another very acceptable day even if not high summer!
05:55. A nice walk on a calm morning. When we went out there was low sun from the east but cloud has obscured that at the moment. However there are some big clear patches coming in and so every hope of a bit of sun later on.
Public Service Announcement. I have decided to shave my head this morning, it remains to be see whether this will be a rain or a sun dance!

Later......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

On the whole yesterday was good, by 20:30 we had light rain on a calm overcast evening and this morning first thing it was the same. Just looked outside and no change, very light mizzle and calm. The glass rose a bit yesterday but has fallen slightly since and is on 1022mb The forecast is for an overcast damp day. The wind has shifted and will be a constant light westerly all day giving a high of only 15C and a low of 14C tonight with a slight wind chill. The outlook is better, much warmer and brighter for the rest of the week at least. I always look at the moon phases and the next full moon is a week today, perhaps we enter full summer?
05:35. Back after an early walk on a calm quiet and mild morning. The mizzle is so light it's really a heavy mist and is not annoying, just very growy. Still a good morning, no complaints.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Not a lot of sun yesterday but not much rain either. At 20:30 it was overcast, calm, dry and mild. Same first thing this morning and no change. The glass is down slightly on 1014mb. The forecast is for a drier and brighter day. The constant W wind starts very light and gradually rises to moderate during the day. High of 18C and a low of 15C with negligible wind chill. Outlook is getting warmer and sunnier, chance of a thunderstorm tomorrow.
04:50. Very early short walk, Jack is empty and we are going back to bed..... Not very exciting I know but the best course this morning!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Enjoying stormy weather tonight. Can hear the full-time workers putting out their bins in the wind and rain. Weather will be much the same for a couple of days. As long as my bin stays upright for tomorrow mornings collection, I will be a happy bunny. :smile:
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Stanley...your skin looks pink and healthy...and I can still see a twinkle in your eye. If you are having a bad day, I still think you will win your battle. Soldier on. ( nice to see your face).
Big Hug.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks Love. I have recovered quickly and am basically in good nick. Immunotherapy is no joke and Nurse Helen says I am doing the best of all her current patients.
Again, yesterday wasn't exciting but quite acceptable. At 20:30 last night it was calm, overcast, dry and mild. Same this morning but damp flags, we have had a light shower in the night. Glass id down on 1007mb. The forecast is for a showery day clearing up later. The constant SW wind is light to moderate and gives a high of 17C and a low of 13C with a slight wind chill. Tomorrow and the rest of the week look brighter and warmer at the moment. Notable that thunderstorms have been dropped from our forecast.
06:05. A full valley Gardens walk this morning under 100% overcast and steady light rain. Not exciting I admit for summer but good for water supplies and Mother Nature!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Not as much rain as forecast yesterday and the afternoon and evening were bright. At 20:30 we had low sun, calm, mild and dry. At 4AM this morning overcast and damp flags but calm and dry. Just looked out and the overcast is breaking. The glass is steady on 1007mb. The forecast is for a drier and less cloudy day. The constant westerly wind is light to moderate and gives us a high of 18C and a low of 13C with a slight wind chill. Could be more sun. The outlook is cloudy but getting warmer over the next few days.
06:30. A pleasant but slow walk down to the butcher's. Being an active part of Barlick's vibrant local economy on foot needs a bit of will power at the moment! The sky is rapidly clearing, some low sun comes in from the East and it is almost calm. Noticeable though that what wind we have at the moment is WNW. On the whole it's a good morning.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Sorry we have no sun to send today :(, maybe tomorrow :)
It's been raining since Wednesday, Friday promises to be partly sunny with 12C , then rain again till next Thursday.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We're having better weather than you Cathy. Yesterday turned out nice again, very balmy in the afternoon and a pleasure to have a stroll on the Green with Jack after our sleep. At 20:30 the sky was partly clear, there was a light breeze and it was still balmy. First thing this morning it was calm and dry and looked partly overcast. Still the same. The glass rose slowly all day yesterday and is still rising, it's almost up to 1017mb. The forecast is for sunny spells and they give a chance of a light shower this afternoon. The constant W wind is light and gives us 19C for a high and 13C for a low tonight. Negligible wind chill. This looks like the picture for the foreseeable outlook.
05:55. The very epitome of a quiet walk. Calm, dry, 100% overcast with just a little dawn light showing in the east but no sun yet. Very relaxing and pleasant.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Mostly dull yesterday but a bit of sun in the afternoon, still a nice day. At 20:30 it was partially clear, some low sun, a light breeze and mild. First thing this morning it seemed overcast but still calm, mild and dry. I've just looked out and, like yesterday, it's a light overcast and no dawn light in the east yet. The glass rose slightly yesterday and this morning is on a shade over 1019mb and still tending to rise. The forecast is similar to yesterday, dull all day, brightening later. The constant light east wind gives a high of 18C and a low of 11C with a -1C wind chill all day. If yesterday was anything to go by it will be dull but very acceptable. The outlook is still getting warmer but we keep the overcast.
05:50. The forecast suggested fog early on, we got a very light mizzle instead but not enough to wet the flags. A quiet dry walk under overcast with just a hint of breaking cloud in the east where the light wind is coming from. Despite that, a very acceptable walk, I have had worse in July.
08:20. We've had our second walk, I want to get my sleep in before Silverstone. Dinner now and then bed. We are on track. The cloud is breaking and we have shafts of sun coming in from the east.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Another nice end to a balmy day. At 20:30 we had 50% overcast, calm and dry. Lovely clouds. Clear sky this morning, calm and dry. Glass is rock steady on a shade under 1020mb. The forecast is for a clearer day with plenty of sun. The constant light wind varies between west and east as we are directly under the centre of the high pressure.. High of 22C and a low of 13C with negligible wind chill.
06:05. A nice walk on a calm morning under a clear sky with full low sun coming in from the east. It doesn't get much better than this.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yet another nice end to a good day. At 20:30 we had 50% clear sky, light breeze, dry and mild. First thing this morning it was fresh and the sky was clear, the stars were showing. Just looked out and we have some scattered cloud now but clear in the east and dawn is coming through. The glass is down a shade on 1016mb. The forecast is for a dry bright day with plenty of sun. The constant light west wind gives us a high of 20C and a low of 12C tonight with only a slight wind chill. The outlook is for it to cool a little and become less settled with perhaps a drop of rain. Still nothing extreme. Full moon tonight at 22:00.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Better day than forecast yesterday, very warm in the afternoon. At 20:30, calm mild and dry. First thi13Cng this morning an almost clear sky and a good full moon to the SW. Still clear apart from some cloud in the east. The glass is down on 1011mb. The forecast is for a dry bright day with cloud and sunny spells until about 15:00 when we could have some light rain. The constant mainly SW wind is light and gives us 19C for a high and 13C tonight with a slight chill depending on wind strength. Another decent day and we could do with a spot of rain.
05:35. Didn't do the full Valley Gardens walk this morning, just a gentle amble round the Green. Just a precaution, I need all my energy to support the immune reaction. The sky is clear and we have early low sun but we seem to be developing some thin high level cloud. Nevertheless it's a very pleasant morning.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Seasons”