TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Marilyn
VIP Member

Re: TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Post by Marilyn »

39C here today!
Doors and windows open now as cooler breezes flow through. Salad for tea.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Just right.... Enjoy it Love!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was, on the whole, damp. No snow. At 20:00 last night it was dry and the sky was clearing. This morning we have a dry morning with a reasonable breeze and an almost clear sky. The glass is down again at 978mb. The forecast is a mixed bag starting with a warning of ice under the severe wind chill even though there is no actual frost. Then everything from rain to sunny spells. The wind is constant, moderate and from the SW giving a considerable wind chill to the basic high of 3C and low of 0C. Take your pick and wrap up warm.
05:55. We went out early in very light mizzle. No ice problems in the back streets where we were relatively sheltered from the wind but as soon as I got to the open space of the Pioneer Car Park I was surprised to see it was white where the light sleet/rain had frozen on hitting the ground. I switched immediately into mincing mode and kept to that speed all the way round our walk. Very treacherous underfoot and as the rain increased as we went round, the surfaces that were OK yesterday were slippy. Glad to be back inside! I doubted the yellow warning in the forecast but it was perfectly correct so be careful out there.
10:21. Just back from our late walk and a bit of shopping. That wind may be SW but it's bloody cold! We were treated to a hard sleet shower and it's still slippy underfoot in places......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Cold rain and sleet for much of the day and at 20:00 last night we still had cold rain on a brisk wind. First thing this morning we had a clear sky and a sharp frost. Still the same now but with broken cloud coming in. The glass is up a bit at 987mb. The forecast is for a dry day with broken cloud, some glimpses of the sun perhaps. The constant significant wind is from the NW until late tonight and the high is 3C and the low-2C but with a severe wind chill all day, we shall never feel above freezing and could get as low as -6C. Yellow ice warning again so look out for icy patches and wrap up warm!
06:45. We survived a walk on very slippery surfaces including some roads that were salted. Kathy told me that even the main roads were icy this morning in Colne.... Luckily the forecast winds haven't arrived yet because if they had it would be bitter cold. However, they will come! I think about everyone who hasn't the luxury of sitting in a warm house and watching the gas bill rack up..... Give them some thought.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

No surprises yesterday and at 20:00 it was calm, clearing, dry and very cold. First thing this morning it was calm, dry and a sharp frost under a clear sky. That has held true throughout our walk, slippy underfoot, not as bad as it has been the last few days but still worth taking care.... The glass has leapt up to a shade under 1010mb. The forecast is for a mainly dry day, the exception is that there is a chance of a shower of snow mid-morning. The wind is constant, light and westerly all day. The high is 3C and the low -2C with a 2 or 3C wind chill all day. It will never feel above freezing. Things could be worse! But wrap up warm and watch your step, there are some odd patches of ice.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The frost faded away mid morning, at 20:00 last night we had fog coming in and this morning it's still with us and freezing on all surfaces including the back street. It will be bad underfoot again but for a different reason! The glass is up again at 1017mb. The forecast makes no mention of the fog but forecasts rain from 10:00 to 15:00. The wind is all over the place, it starts very light in the north backs to a brisk SW wind during the morning and that brings in the rain and the high of 8C but then swings into the west and we end up with a low of 1C. There will be a wind chill all day and it will feel cold. I suppose it's December weather! Only four days until the shortest day of the year.....
06:00.A quiet walk on a frosty morning. The freezing fog has lifted but left a legacy of ice on untreated surfaces. Not as bad as it has been but still worthy of consideration and care, there are some slippy patches in unexpected places. The only thing that caught my attention was the fact that the Xmas Tree on the fascia of Stephenson House on Church Street is not lit, the only one on the street. Is somebody making a point about local council cuts? I'd like to think so but then I would wouldn't I.
08:00. Just been out to the bin in the back yard and it's raining gently.......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

There was more prolonged rain than forecast yesterday and it started earlier finally clearing up late in the day. At 20:00 last night it was calm clear and cold but no frost then. First thing this morning we had a sharp frost under a clear sky and that hasn't changed. We have had our walk, calm, dry, clear and very frosty. It is very bad underfoot largely because many of the surfaces were wet from the rain during the day. Very careful walking! The glass is again up slightly at 1022mb. The forecast is for a dry day with some sun. The constant very light wind is westerly and the high is 4C and the low 2C but with a slight wind chill all day. With a bit of luck it will be a decent December day. The outlook is for it to warm up slightly.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The frost cleared during the morning and it turned out quite a decent day and milder. At 20:00 last night the sky was partially clear, calm and dry. First thing this morning dry, overcast and mild, same now, dry flags and no ice! Glass is up at a shade under 1027mb. The forecast is for a dull overcast day but dry until fog comes in at midday for the rest of the day. The light wind is SW and the high 7C and a low of 6C. The breeze will give a 2 or 3C wind chill. Similar mild settled outlook for the next five days.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The fog they forecast yesterday turned out to be what I describe as Scotch Mist, low cloud touching the ground and depositing a very fine mizzle. This was still true at 20:00 last night and this morning as well. At the moment it's almost calm and fine mizzle under 100% overcast. Much milder. The glass is rock steady at a shade under 1027mb. The forecast is for exactly the same murky weather all day today. The wind is basically SW, a bit stronger than yesterday but not much. Very mild with a high of 9C and a low of 6C with a 2 or 3C wind chill. Not an exhilarating forecast but no signs of it getting colder. The forecast over Xmas is that on the whole it will stay mild but the wind and rain could increase.
06:20. This morning is best described as an 'almost morning', almost cold, almost dry, almost foggy. The cloud has lifted since first thing but is still 100% overcast. I fully expect the cloud to come down again later as it did yesterday. One thing that can't be denied is that it is much milder.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I was right, it was an 'almost' day but eventually tried to dry up. At 20:00 the sky was overcast, there was a light breeze but it was dry. This morning it is the same but with the addition of light rain, very mild, the CH has just kicked in but at a very low level. The glass is up very slightly at 1028mb but very steady. The forecast is for a very similar day to yesterday, dull, damp with drizzle and fog at any time. The wind is very light and boxes the compass finally settling in the SW later in the day. It is very mild, high of 7C and low of 6C with at most a 1C wind chill. It is the shortest day of the year today, from now on the light begins to return but of course with the old saying in our ears, "As the days lengthen, the cold strengthens"
06:20. We've had our walk round the town. Calm, mild, overcast and the rain has stopped but has been replaced by drifting banks of mist in the low-lying areas like Valley Gardens. Things could be a lot worse!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Back to mud and splashing through the fields. Bring back the cold, crisp mornings please!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Wendy, the met office are forecasting some wet windy weather over Xmas so it might be a while....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I know :sad:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Never mind Wendy, at least the light will start to return....
We've just had our late morning walk and it's drizzling, misty and murky... Deep Joy!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The shortest day was murky and damp. At 20:00 last night it was almost calm, mild and light rain. It was the same first thing this morning and remains so now but at least there is no mist yet. The glass is rock steady on 1028mb. The forecast is dead boring! No rain but murk and fog all day.... The moderate constant wind is SW and the high is 9C low of 7C, even milder than yesterday. I suppose we should be grateful it's not cold and snowing!
Back home from my Xmas shopping at the butcher's at 06:45. No mist or fog and no rain. Calm, very mild and on the whole as good a walk as you can expect at this time of year as long as you can avoid Wendy's problem of walking on fields or any grass. I need a supermarket shop and veggie shopping tomorrow so no different than usual and I think I've remembered everything! I wish you all as good a morning....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

The weather here in Somerset has been unusually mild for this time of year and looks like staying the same into the New Year. Temperatures around 10 or 11C and not much wind.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Same here Tiz, very unseasonal but I'll bet the gas providers are heaving a sigh of relief!
Yesterday was largely mild, murky and damp. At 20:00 last night it was calm, mild and we had light rain. This morning first thing it was mild, overcast and we have a very light breeze carrying a suspicion of rain on it. The glass is unchanged, rock steady on 1028mb. The forecast also is unchanged in that we are promised fog and murk all day until later tonight when we could have more sustained rain. The constant WSW wind is moderate and we shall have a high of 9C and a low of 8C with a 3C wind chill. No signs of any change in the forecast. I always watch the moon at times like this and the next full moon is on January 2nd......
06:10. Mild, murky, not raining but not dry either. It's that sort of the morning. The only things of note were one jogger, one postman and one pool of vomit in the Butts, exciting huh? I wondered idly how many hangovers were being nursed this morning.... That's their business I suppose, I also wondered how important to my health this walk every morning is... I suspect it's crucial. Thank God for my personal trainer, Jack!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

On the whole, yesterday was damp and murky with occasional heavy mist, true the slates did dry a couple of times but only to accept more light rain. Last night at 20:00 the overcast was 100% and it was still damp. This morning first thing the cloud was breaking, it was dry and we had a moderate mild wind. It was the same on our walk, a very acceptable morning for late December! The glass give evidence that something is stirring, it has fallen to 1016mb. The forecast is for an overcast day but dry until nightfall when we can expect some rain. The constant brisk WSW wind will give us a high of 9C and a low of 8C with a wind chill of up to 5C all day.
08:45. Light rain showers keep coming though.... Could be wetter than forecast!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Light rain showers interspersed with dry bright spells yesterday. At 20:00 it was overcast, breezy but dry. This morning first thing the sky was clear and we had a stiff breeze but still relatively mild. I've just looked outside and as far as I can see we now have some cloud. The glass has fallen sharply to 998mb. The forecast is for it to be overcast until mid morning, then brighten up with some sun but around 15:00 rain will come in and persist for the rest of the day. The brisk SW wind will be constant all day and the high will be 9C and the low 1C. We start with a 3C wind chill but by tonight this will be up to 5C and it will feel very cold. The outlook is for colder weather over the next few days.
06:05. A quiet and pleasant walk for the time of year. The town is of course, very quiet! There's a strong gusty wind but it's mild. I listened to the Shipping Forecast before I went out and there are very strong winds in the Northern Waters but to Beaufort 9. We are protected from the worst of the SW wind by the bulk of the Weets but if and when it backs into the NW we will lose that and listening to the wind direction in the north it wouldn't surprise me if our winds become Northerly later tonight and increase.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The forecast of rain coming in mid afternoon yesterday was correct. At 20:00 it was breezy, cooler and light rain. This morning was the same first thing and we have just had our morning walk in light rain, a moderate breeze and much colder. The glass has continued to fall and is down to 984mb. The forecast is for the rain to continue until mid morning but then to become dry for the remainder of the day. The moderate WSW wind will be constant until mid afternoon when it drops and starts to swing into the NE settling down during the evening to a constant light wind. The high is 4C and the low -1C. There is a 5C wind chill all morning, dropping to 3C as the wind shifts and lightens. The net effect is that it will never feel better than freezing all day. The outlook is for the colder weather to continue.
Snow fell last night in Cumbria and parts of Scotland. The Shipping Forecast gives gales in all sea areas apart from the far NW and the northern North Sea.
Later at 16:00. Noticeable that it is still daylight! Lovely.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Boxing Day was overall bright and sunny noticeable that it was light until later. At 20:00 last night we had a NE wind, it was dry, cold and a vague hint of the moon though the clouds. First thing this morning it was the same but the wind is NW. We have had our walk and it was what my mother would have called bracing! A light NW wind, dry, very cold and as far as I can make out, high broken cloud. More cars and people about including a drunk on Church Street who insisted on calling me mate and asking how I was. I said good morning and moved on reflecting that I was a hell of a lot better then him. The glass is down a touch at 981mb. The forecast is interesting.... North of Carlisle and south of Chester they are getting snow and rain but there is a clear band across the country and it looks as though we are going to benefit from it all day. We will have a dry day end from mid morning, a clear sky for the rest of the day. The constant moderate NW wind holds until nightfall when it swings to the west gives us a high of 1C and a low of-1C but the main feature is a 5C wind chill all day and for much of the day it will feel like -5C in the wind. It's a cold day but could be much worse.
Later at 14:00. Beautiful sunny day with a clear sky..... Very cold but far better than snow!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Lovely day yesterday in Barlick but it never hit the headlines in the national news, it was all about the paralysis of the SE! At 20:00 last night we had a light NE wind, it was clear as a bell and cold with a brilliant half moon to the SW. Same first thing this morning with a sharp frost. I have just checked and it is still the same. The glass is rising and is on 991mb. The forecast is for a similar day today, clear and dry all day with plenty of sun. The wind will be a constant moderate westerly and the high 3C and low of -1C. Again there will be a strong wind chill of 5C for most of the day reducing to 3C after dark but the result is that it will feel like below freezing all day if you are in the wind. The outlook for tomorrow is the same. Reports from the area of Canada to the NW of the Great Lakes tell of record snowfalls......
06:00. Back in the warm! Unusually, we have a moderate wind (Which is more north than west whatever the forecasters say!) and I reckon with the wind chill it's somewhere south of -5C. Still clear but luckily, because the pavements were dry, only a few are slippy. All told a very acceptable walk!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It was another very acceptable day yesterday and at 20:00 last night we had a brisk wind, an overcast sky and it was very cold. The Met Office forecast for the NW was that it would snow overnight but no signs of it yet this morning, we have a light breeze, a hard frost and what seems to be a high overcast. The glass is down very slightly at just below 989mb. The forecast is adamant that snow will start in the next hour and fall until noon when it will change to rain and sleet and last until this evening. An Amber Warning is in force but no signs of it yet! The Wind starts as a moderate SE but midday backs into the SW and at the same time the snow turns to rain. The High is 4C and the low 2C but with a 5C wind chill all day. At the moment we have a white frost. I can't see how they could get this level of forecast wrong, I shall trust them and go out to the butcher's prepared for snow!
06:45. Give the Met Office their due.... As we went out just before 6AM it had just started snowing. However, so far it is not the apocalypse that was being forecast earlier, one report on the radio said that driving conditions would be 'impossible', It started as a light snowfall and is the same now. I sometimes wonder whether the Met Office is still suffering from the 'Fish Hurricane' syndrome and work on the principle that we should always be told the very worst! Of course, I might be wrong and we could have a blizzard. We shall see but up to now nothing to frighten the horses!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Here in Taunton, as I write at 10.00am, the sky is black, it's pouring with rain and we've got the lights on. The water is streaming down the window beside me. Never mind, I'll have to get on with my decorating by artificial light.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

It's still snowing steadily here and it's very slippy stuff. There was an Npower van stuck trying to get back up the track after making an early visit to next door. It took a hefty 4wd to tow him out and that was 9.30am, it's a couple of inches deeper now. Very little traffic attempting the road, there has been a car stuck at the Bleara junction for over an hour.
Mmm... OK pendants out there, should it be an Npower van or a Npower van?? :biggrin2:

Return to “Seasons”