SPRING 2012

Julie in Norfolk
Regular User

Re: SPRING 2012

Post by Julie in Norfolk »

It is minus 5 here at 05.00 this morning. Not looking forward to the day today with little or no chance of removing my coat. Roll on spring - please.
Measure with a micrometer, mark with a pencil, cut with an axe.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Moh, I hope I'm wrong also but the conditions are just right. Only thing that's in our favour at the moment is that the weather is easterly moving and that is a dry quarter for us. Watch for the wind swinging to the South, that could be the trigger. Jules is right, colder again this morning, Glass is steady and on the face of it we shall have a re-run of yesterday. Those gulls on the green yesterday bother me....
Later... Back from our early morning walk and the butcher's. Beautiful clear sunny day with very little breeze but cold enough to give you face ache! Definitely colder than yesterday and the glass is going up, 30.6" as I write. Looks like another cold one tonight unless the wind changes. Then what....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Bradders Bluesinger
Regular User

Post by Bradders Bluesinger »

Over(last)night low of Minus 10 c was reported in Tintagel/Delabole area......(4 miles from here but higher)...thought it was a bit nippy in bed !
Just realised that I don't know how to type the "Degrees sign" on a 'qwerty'........Help?
catgate
Regular User

Post by catgate »

If you are using Open Office it is simply a case of Format>Character>Position to produce a superscripted character.
If you are stuck with Mr Gates' stuff I am afraid you are on your own Buddy.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The council have salted the pavements round Gisburn Road School. Do they know something we don't? Looking over their shoulder at liability. I'm so cynical!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Julie in Norfolk
Regular User

Post by Julie in Norfolk »

Hold down the Alt key then type 2 then 4 then 8 gives: °

Love the Alt keyboard for surprises
Measure with a micrometer, mark with a pencil, cut with an axe.
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Bitterly cold but lovely and bright, sun is very hot through the window, but put your nose out.........€ Gave me the euro sign.
Say only a little but say it well.
Sunray10
Regular User

Post by Sunray10 »

Its looking like we'll have a period of snow tomorrow afternoon and evening for this area. Dryer on Sunday and less cold. Still some snow over in eastern counties on Sunday. The cold weather "could" hold on in eastern England ?
Bradders Bluesinger
Regular User

Julie ...just tried that , and got a message from mission control asking if I really wanted to start WW III.....
As Cat says ..I'm on my own (Billy No Mate's)..
I shall just spell it out in future....."Digress"
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Brad, I have the same problem and just add a capital F or C, I think most normal people will grasp that it's a temperature.
Probably about -5C in backyard this morning. Glass hovering around 30.5" so no change there. No snow overnight but it looked threatening to me all day yesterday. I think that, once more, we are being very lucky. Mind you, the big fall of 1947 didn't start till Jan 21st and lasted till mid March so too early to start clapping hands! Main thing to do is wrap up well, keep the house warm and if you know any old people, call in and make sure they are warm. A cold house can be a killer for the old. I reflect how lucky I am to have full CH and the stove as well, not everyone is as fortunate.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

We have seen the pictures of the big freeze across parts of Europe.
Hard for us to grasp those kind of temperatures.
We sit here bare legged, wearing shorts and Tshirts...lazing on the couch...back patio doors open to the garden and the lazy breeze that is wafting through...post dinner glass of wine in hand. I look out through the doors to our Wisteria covered verandah, and Roses flowering in the garden.
Keep warm guys! Keep up the calories!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Morning Maz. Just been talking to Mags in Perth and they have 25C. Mick was asking about Europe and yes, you're right, extremely low temperatures down as far as Italy. I popped back in to note that the wind in Barlick has changed and is a westerly. Significance of this is that if there is going to be any snow this is where it could come from but as it's an Atlantic system it could well turn to rain quite quickly. O hope so...
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I'm going on a Weets circular shortly so I'll have a look at what's coming from up there. Should just get the route done before any snow or rain. Will report back later.
Ian
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Tie a very long rope around your waist and attach it to the front gate before you head off Panny, so you can be sure of making it home. Hip flask and chocolate stuffed in pockets? Triple knit long johns on?
Bradders Bluesinger
Regular User

Steady Light rain here in Cornwall just now .....and warmer of course under the clouds...
Nolic

Post by Nolic »

Just starting to see flurries of snow. Our robins are in the garden squaring up for a fight! Nolic :waiting:
"I'm a self made man who worships his creator." Image
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Well, you don't have to walk up to the top as I have just done to know that it's snowing on Weets! It was fine on the way up with a bit of a nithering wind. Pendle was fast disappearing into the mire. It started to snow (horizontal) in my 10min tea break at the Trig. I came back down over Brown Hill and by the time I got down to down to Pasture Farm Weets has gone as well. Dry snow at first turning a bit wetter now.
Ian
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Sleet here - rain and light flurries of snow, the weatherman on TV said we should get the snow about 3pm - we shall see.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Light snow started down here in the town at 11:00. No weight but constant and here's East Hill Street three hours later. Not serious yet but definitely winter! What a good job they salted the pavements in the town centre....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sunray10
Regular User

Post by Sunray10 »

Moderate freezing rain and snow here in Nelson. Blowing a bit now. Expected to carry on until mid evening. Paths and side roads very slippery. Main roads not too bad, yet.

7.00pm Thicker snow now falling in Pendle. Roads conditions getting worse.

9.00pm Stopped snowing now, just very icy conditions to follow.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Had to clear the yard at 04:30 so the gate would open to let Jack out for his early morning pee. Very wet, heavy snow, if it freezes it will be a bugger. Noticed last night that the glass was falling rapidly, it's on 30.1" this morning. Feels like a softer morning but still freezing even in the shelter of the back yard. My personal resolution is to beware of slipping and falling!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Popped back in with this pic for Maz and Cathy. Very slippy underfoot where the snow is packed, no signs of any salt on side roads. Jack and I confined our walk to the grippy snow on the green until he had played with a couple of his mates and emptied himself. That's quite enough exercise till dinnertime!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Gridlock at Coates bridge at 5:30 last night. A bus stuck at 45 degrees on the approach to the bridge, all gone by half eight.

Very light rain falling at 9pm on the walk home but still plenty of snow laying on the ground.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

SPRING!!!! Its the thickest snow we have had all winter. It was a nightmare journey back from Blackburn hospital last night. Grane Road was shut. We didn't risk Owd Betts as it was bad enough going. We had to go all the way into Bury on the M65 then down to Tescos near the M62 and then start climbing back up the hill to us. A 30 minute journet was nearly and hour and a half
If you keep searching you will find it
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

We had no snow until after dark last night and then it did not last long. The roads and cars were covered by thick ice. Our daughter lives the other side of town and she said they had about 3" 0r 4" of snow and traffic could not get up Todmorden Road for the ice. Thawing now and been foggy all day.

Return to “Seasons”