WELCOME TO CAT WORLD.

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: WELCOME TO CAT WORLD.

Post by Stanley »

Peter, I need to pick your brain on behalf of my friends Martha and Roger who are migrating to England and want to bring two cats. They've done it before with no problems but have hit a brick wall this time in that they can't find anyone to speak to. The cats have been chipped vaccinated etc but they have been told that they have to use a broker who will do the job for £600 a cat. Roger says this sounds like a scam to him and I agree with him.
From your extensive experience with cats, can you suggest organisations that could advise and help and give me contact numbers. Freephone numbers are no good, it has to be a regular number to be accessible from the States. Any suggestions welcomed......
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Hi Stanley, this may be of some help:-

Pet Passports

The Pet Travel Scheme is a recent innovation that allows you to avoid quarantining when bringing your dog, cat, rabbit or “rodent” into the UK. Although an improvement on previous procedures, this scheme is not completely hassle free for pet-owners. The conditions of this scheme include having to surgically implant a microchip in your pet and getting a ‘pet passport’ (which details vaccinations and other necessary veterinary treatments). In addition, pets travelling under this scheme may only do so using specified sea, air and rail routes. You will need to enquire in your country of residence for details about how to get a pet passport.

Countries that have signed up to the Pet Travel Scheme include:

All EU countries (and associated territories), Andorra, Antigua & Barbuda, Aruba, Ascension Island, Australia, Bahrain, Barbados, Bermuda, Canada, Cayman Islands, Chile, Croatia, Falkland Islands, Fiji, French Polynesia, Grenadines, Hawaii, Hong Kong, Iceland, Jamaica, Japan, Liechtenstein, Mauritius, Mayotte, Monaco, Montserrat, Netherlands Antilles, New Caledonia, New Zealand, Norway, Russia, St Helena, St Kitts & Nevis, St Pierre & Miquelon, St Vincent, San Marino, Singapore, Switzerland, Taiwan, United Arab Emirates, USA (mainland), Vanuatu, Vatican, Wallis & Futuna.

The UK government department in charge of regulating quarantine and the Pet Travel Scheme is the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA). For further information visit the pet importation section of their website, or call its Pet Travel Scheme helpline: +44 (0)870 241 1710.

Footnote; assuming that they have the documentation for vaccinations etc, they will probably need to advise whoever implanted the microchip as to their new intended address. You are probably correct about the possible scam.
Thomo. RN Retired, but not regretted!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Just the job Peter. Thanks for that. I've copied it and will mail to Roger and Martha immediately.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Thomo

Post by Thomo »

My pleasure Stanley, and wish them good luck from me.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I talked to them yesterday. Roger asked me to convey his thanks.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

See Cunning Wheezes for the denouement!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Thomo

Post by Thomo »

It would appear that it is easier for a "Wannabe" extremist to get in to the UK than an innocent Pussy Cat. It also looks like the same principle is applied, traffickers making an easy buck with the collaboration of two of the crime capitals of this country! Rehoming the two animals should be a last resort, abandonment, never!!!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That was a joke Peter and Roger understood it.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Word is starting to come in about two "Rag Doll" cats in urgent need of rehoming. Not much is known at present and we are awaiting further details. As I write a call tells me that these two are going to the CPL next week unless something can be done, There are two Males, Ozzy and Charlie, 7 and 8 both neutered, I will be calling their owner later, but this is beginning to sound desperate. Having already explained that we have 8, for us it would be a big ask as we are both pensioners. "Surely you could find room for two more" hurts, but will not be dismissed out hand.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Sadly due to a lack of co-operation from the owner, this is now almost over with. The promised pictures did not arrive on Thursday evening, so yesterday I rang the owner again, she was on a train heading South and will not be back in time, the two cats will be handed to the CPL on Tuesday. Much work already down the pan, that I was angry is an understatement.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

This should go in the other topic "Cat in need of help" but I think that it is better here. The Cat in question is the one at Silentnight. Despite all of the aid now in place, the faceless ones at that factory are still using pressure, this is how it is at present:- On Monday next week the Cat will be taken to the Vets here in town where it will be assessed and any necessary treatment given, including neutering if required paid for by the Woman employee who has generously tried to help this unwanted animal. It will then be brought to us for TLC, in a "Fostering" situation. What happens then is that we will do our utmost to find this Cat a new caring home, failing that, it will remain here although it brings extra commitment as we already have eight rescued animals. When I last spoke with the Lady who is doing her best, yesterday, I asked if there was any chance of the management making a donation in respect of our efforts, "no way" was the reply. Many years ago, when Tom Clarke first moved his business into Moss Shed, I worked with him to design the original company logo, which I then put on the factory façade, he would have understood and helped, but as always, things have changed, it has become Me, Me, Me. Whilst I fully appreciate that not everyone loves Cats, I must also add that we are not strictly "Cat Lovers" what we do is due to a respect for what is descent in the treatment of anything else that shares this planet, we have a Tiger in Northern India. I have lost track of the number of times when trying to help, I have heard, "But its only a cat" on the grand scale of things, it could also be said that we are no more important than any other creature, just rather more selfish!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

This flyer has been posted round the town for the last four days. I found that some helpful soul had ripped this one down and thrown it away so I'm posting it here in case we can help. I've stapled the poster securely to the telegraph pole at the top of the street. I hope it turns up....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Nolic

Post by Nolic »

Posted flyer on Facebook. Nolic
"I'm a self made man who worships his creator." Image
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That should be even more helpful.... Thanks Comrade.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Yes, thank you Nolic, I saw it on FB. In respect of the Cat last mentioned in "Cats in urgent need of help", The one who was in the Silentnight factory is now safe with us. TC as we now call him, as in Tom Clarke of Silentnight was originally called Egon and was born in Spain 14 years ago, he then lived in France before being brought to Barnoldswick 6 years ago, he then disappeared off the radar for 5 years before turning up at Silentnight, yes he is chipped, however his previous owner declined reuniting. He did not go into our temporary accommodation but joined us in house. He was in a poor condition, his white bits a dirty grey and his fur matted, this is now all but resolved, and what a character he is, he is allowed a bit of external freedom and spends much time guarding his new patch, this is TC:-

Nolic

Post by Nolic »

What a bonny cat Thomo. Well done. Nolic
"I'm a self made man who worships his creator." Image
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

No sighting of TC in the newly refurbished cat shelter in the back yard but Jack has sniffed at it a couple of times, I think that means she has paid a visit during the night.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Which TC is that Stanley?, ours is with us and does not go out at night.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I have a Top Cat which lodges under the bench.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Is that the one who has been visiting for some time now? if so, then keep up the good work, animals in whatever shape or form are here on the same ticket as the rest of us, but all too often have less opportunities than we.
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Out former neighbours at the new place sold up a while back , (they were not fond of out cat going out wandering in their garden ), so she has more recently gone out, while new owners were (somewhat unnecessarily) changing the internal layout and fittings of the property, having put it up to let a family has now moved in, I don't think it will be a problem.

Meanwhile as ours went out, a stone-faced tabby has started coming in - rather ironically emerging through the hedge from next doors garden, he is either very hungry or very greedy (he is quite small) as he normally finishes off to empty plate three pouches of food plus some dry food when he comes in, very much so when we have been away from a day or two. One of our friends who was in Barnoldswick and then moved off to Huddersfield could not really cope with that side of the Pennines, so she has moved in round the corner from us, which is nice, and is now coming in to feed our cat when we are away (but not the visitor.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

It is some time since I last posted in this topic, and this concerns the cat that we took in in some time ago, this was the one we named TC. Sadly, we had to have him put to sleep on the 7th of December 2016. His life's story, although quite long, and having arrived in England from Spain via France, and eventually coming to us was remarkable and will never be forgotten. He changed our life in a way that is described in my other topic "Growing Older".
After we lost TC, we decided that this may be the time to call an end to our work with Stray, lost or unwanted cats, this was not to be.

On the 18th of May this year, I received a call about a cat in desperate need of help, this poor animal had been in the care of our local Vets for 10 days, and unless a new home could be found within 24 hours, his life would have been ended. He had been found by a local Lady in the St. James area of this Town, and had been going to her home for food for some time, and some distance away. He was in a bad way, and she took him to the local Vets, what they discovered transcends belief. One side of his mouth was torn, and he had at some time been shot twice with an air weapon, he was not neutered and was only about 4 years old. He had been "chipped" however, and the Vets had written to the address concerned, no reply was received, this situation required immediate action, and we took it. He was neutered in the afternoon of the day that we received the call, sponsored by the lady who had called me.
This little lad arrived here on the 19th, and we renamed him "Arnie" as in I will be back. He was absolutely worn out, and quite clearly he had almost given up. He has now been with for just over 6 weeks, and the transformation is amazing, he still walks badly, but this is getting better, he has two .22 pellets in him, one in his right upper foreleg, and another in his left scapula, neither of which can be removed at present. He has integrated well with our other rescued cats, although this took time, and he has membered how to play. He eats, sleeps and drinks as he should, and knows where all the facilities are. The affection that he gives us far outweighs any doubts that we may have had, and now that we have him here, we are sure that we did the right thing.
Now I will learn again how to post pictures on here, these will be attached in due course.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

As we have anew topic on the subject, I have locked this one from further input. The new topic can be found here on this link:

Welcome to Cat World 2nd Edition
Ian

Return to “Animals and Pets”